Rafa Demonstrates Total Knowledge Of The Transfer System

Rafa Benitez always does his homework and last summer he looked at how many clubs get automatically promoted the next season (finish in the top two in the Championship) after being relegated from the Premier League  the season before.

It’s interesting that when we were  relegated seven years ago that used to happen a lot more than it does now.

Rafa looked at the last five years to be more up to date and accurate, since the TV rights money has exploded in that time – and he found out that only Burnley had managed automatic promotion in the season immediately following relegation,

It’s much more difficult these days because there are much stronger teams down below who are completely motivated to move from getting £7M per season from the Championship to an average of £140M per season from the Premier League.

Who wouldn’t be?

Two Newcastle men in the spotlight this summer during the transfer window
Managing Director Lee Charnley and manager Rafa Benitez

Newcastle did very well in last summer’s transfer window as Rafa brought in players hardened in the Championship like Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle, Isaac Hayden, Mo Diame, Grant Hanley and Daryl Murphy.

Rafa brought in 12 players in total and we made over £40M profit according to official records released a couple of weeks ago – we had estimated that as (low as) £31M.

And we bought the league?

Here’s Rafa talking about transfers today, as reported in the Chronicle:

“Every year the transfer window, when it is open, it is quite busy,” “In this case, for a team who are relegated, you also have a problem.”

“The players, they have a short memory of the Premier League. You think you cannot bring players who are not ‘good enough’ for the Premier League.”

“Then you start making the mistake of trying to sign ‘names’, because we are coming from the Premier League.”

“You don’t realise that the Championship is so difficult, that’s why you have to bring in players for the Championship.”

“Then, after, you can get players good enough for the Premier League.” “Normally when you go to a club that has been relegated, it’s because something was wrong, quite wrong.”

“Then you have to work even harder.”

“Look at the other teams. Why over the last five years teams who were relegated they don’t promote in the first season?”

“Because maybe it’s not the right approach, so you have to be sure that in a division like this one with 46 games and it is so difficult, you have to be ready.”

“Then afterwards, you can think about the future.” “But the present is the priority.”

“When you have to bring new players in, they have to be right.” “You also have to sell your players at the best price possible.”

“Then, sometimes you make mistakes.” “Always I say 70% success in the signings is really, really good.”

“If you can get 80%, it’s massive.” “When you have a couple of mistakes, it’s normal because you are signing lots of players.”

“But also the main thing is to sell well and I think we did a great job in the summer.” “It was a great job because we had profit and new faces.”

“If you asked the fans which players they didn’t want, then maybe they will say: ‘Listen, he’s done a great job this season.’”

“The majority of fans will agree with this player, this player, another one.” “We made profit and we bought players.”

“Some of the players we brought in are starters and are doing really well.” “In fact, some of the signings are actually the best players of this season.”

“It means we have done something right.” “Still we know we have made mistakes, we are not stupid.

“But you have to put everything in context and after you can analyse.”

It’s interesting Rafa thinks 70% hit rate on transfers is really really good.

Two players brought in from the continent last summer – Jesus Gamez and Achraf Lazaar have not been successful buys.

It will be interesting to see if these two players are included in the massive clear-out Rafa and Lee Charnley will be conducting this summer.

That will clear away some deadwood and lower the wage bill for six top new players to come in.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Which 6 Of These Players Would You Sign This Summer?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Does anyone else think next year we will struggle if Shelvey is part of a two man midfield?

• shakerxxoo

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Lazaar, Ohh noo hah
    He didn’t come here to tell him he is a “mistake”
    He played one game?
    When i watched him against Hull, He was good
    don’t know what the hell is going on?
    IS HE DISABLED ?

• AndyMac

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:14 PM

He’ll need help next season Ronaldo. He cannot remain the only creative player in the team as the opposition have tended to mark him out of games. Ideally I’d like to see Boudebouz on that list, perfect player for a position we’ve struggled with for quite some time.

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:14 PM

If you mean injured, I don’t think he is.

Maybe he’s been saving him for the PL? The new ben Arfa? I think I might be right. Don’t think he is disabled either, for the record.

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM

On Shelvinho I don’t think he’ll be playing in a two man midfield. Rafa’s formation is Rafa’s formation.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM

Yeah I’m surprised he has not had any opportunities really, don’t personally see him as a full back especially in the English leagues but he could certainly play on the wing. Very good player on ball technically and can put in some good crosses.

• Toon Sufferer

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:17 PM

I wouldnt mind getting Celtics Moussa Dembele in and Solomon Rondon would be a good replacement for Murphy as Striker Options

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM

On crossing, I’m not convinced we have anyone who is a natural crosser. That’s the trouble with modern wide men, always looking to cut in instead of driving toward the byline.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Yeah agree Shelvey can’t be the only creative player in the team or we’ll just continue to struggle like we have for some time. For his passing ability and vision he doesn’t have a good control on games that I’d like.

When I say we will struggle in a two man midfield with Shelvey I mean in the sense that he doesn’t offer much in a defensive sense. Has a tendency to do a colback also and give away silly and dangerous free kicks.

• Toon Sufferer

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Crossing has gone that far down in priority on a route to goal that i cant even name 3 good crossers of the ball off the top of my head

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Aye Ron,

I do get nervous when I see him chasing ir closing down the ball or a player. Definitely has poor defensive attributes but he definitely needs to be deep rather than further forward also needs a strong defensive mid next to him. God knars who thar.

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Sufferer

I think the last good crosser nufc had was probly Milner and look how his game has changed si ce he was here.

• sing in the corner

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Shakeyzoo
    Before the Leeds in one of your general, half literate anti NUFC anti Rafa rants you shouted for everyone to ‘…REMEMBER…Leeds will beat us at St James’… ‘
    I remembered.
    We didn’t get beat.
    Have you got any more cockeyed predictions up your sleeve?

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Ron
    Bit harsh on Shelvey he has done the dogs work for England and that little team he left Liverpool for its just not his role in our team but tbf when it has been hes done it well enough

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Vask

personally think shelvey has an excellent partnership with hayden, one can go forward one can stay back and swap around. In the prem i’d like to see an accomplished ball winner who can pass a bit more than colback, Ignacio Camacho would be my choice from malaga

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Of that list I only picked two of the top six that others have chosen. Cairney and Tiememens

And I struggled to pick six from the list with Keane, Abrahams, Loftus Cheeke and finally Osborne added to make up the number.

As I said earlier Forsberg would be top of my wish list that we may not have been linked with already.

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Camacho made more tackles and interceptions than any other player in europe’s top 5 leagues…

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Essex

Chronicle put on the long list of players rafa may want to sign. Hakim Ziyech also looks decent from ajax

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Can see why we’d be looking at Andre Gray if the rumours are true hes like a tougher Gayle

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:39 PM

WW

Aye the lads got pace to burn and he can hold his ground too

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:39 PM

WWSBRD

The best striker we could sign in the summer i think is Josh King, miles better than wilson/gray/sturridge

So quick, strong and has an incredible work ethic, eddie howe really developed him, but they’ll ask for at least £15-25million

• Vask

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:45 PM

James

I thought for a period Colback did alright along side him. Hayden when I’ve seen him has been a bit hit and miss though recently definitely been good.

Who does this Camacho play for? I’m a bit of a football bumpkin when it comes to teams that don’t effect the toon.

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Shire
    Wouldnt be a bad signing, makes some good runs but not quite on the same wave as Barton

James
    Aye hes good but I think Wilson is better than him like just struggles with injuries, Id not be against King like but much of a muchness between him and Gray for me….Sturridge can be on another level to them though just attitude holds him back

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM

I like Shelvey and I may be a little harsh but for me I think he’s more suited to a three man midfield. He does have a decent relationship with Hayden and Rafa likes his 2 deeper midfielders with a number 10. I just think Shelvey can leave us a little exposed at times, in a way that conte hardly plays fabregas with Kante or matic.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Wouldn’t argue with either Gray or king but I would see Wilson as too much of a risk after a second big injury in quite a short space of time. Already thought he lost a little pace from before the first injury and wasn’t as explosive as he was, I can only imagine what he might be like when he recovers this time. It’s unfortunate as I thought he was a quality player only getting better. I’d rather avoid Sturridge too, like you said attitude and for me also prone to injuries.

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM

ron
    Its certainly not Shelveys ideal game but it wasnt Gerrards either and he adapted well to it over time, if we had a real number 10 it’d be easier for him as well

I agree with Wilson being too much of a risk atm but his injury was in one leg then the other which can happen so Id still keep an eye on him when hes back fit. Id ideally go Gray out of them though I still remember watching Struridge rip us apart for Bolton

• Jib

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM

WTF is Mourinho wearing ? – that anorak thingy.
    He looks like the weird guy who lives in the next street who everyone suspects of being the flasher in the park.
    What’s the matter with a decent suit and tie and overcoat ?
    It’s not as if he cannot afford it !

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM

vask

malaga mate, west brom almost signed him last smmer

WWSB

Honestly i have a lot of bmouth mates, they did rate wilson before his injuries at the start of last season but most are saying injuries really effected him and just doesn’t look the same, King is like theyre favourite player and say hes improved so much and has become so much better than wilson, think it would be a risk with wilson whereas king is proven

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Previous article was a great one, sure to cause debate, more of them as the summer progresses please Ed!

Tom cairney
    Andros Townsend
    Youri tielemans
    Micheal Keane
    Harry maguire
    Andre grey

For me. I’d like to have picked Ryan sessegnon as well. Living in dreamland here mindya, obviously.

• catchy in norway

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Nicolai Jørgensen

GOOD CF

• SPRINGY

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Wilson has had a lot injuries,king and gray not proven at premier level for me….to save a bit money to use in other positions i would get defoe for a couple seasons….would be a lot cheaper,is proven in premier,then that could give us a bit time to find a striker for the future….we not goin to have loads of transfer funds so seems a decent option apart from him playing for the unwashed.

• SPRINGY

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Also think mooy and cairney would add a lot to our midfield

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM

James
    Maybe mate I havent seen much of Wilson this season before his injury but he was decent enough when I did. I wouldnt say King is proven though? Hes having a good season and looks decent but been plenty of strikers who have done similar

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM

SPRINGY
    Defoe wont come to us mate plus he wouldnt be that cheap when u consider his wages and Id wagers a substantial signing on fee

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM

James in the Chronic list they are saying Forsberg is a left winger, from what I’ve seen of him he’s more of a creative MF and would be perfect in the Number 10 spot.

• chicousa

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM

The player I would like to see in a Newcastle shirt the most next year was not in Ed’s list: Gylfi Sigurdsson

I know there will be stiff competition for him, and will cost over 30M £, but think he would be a perfect #10

• SPRINGY

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Wwsbrd
    Was cheaper compared to 15-20m for wilson,king or gray who are unproven or injry prone,thats all mate…. Wasn’t there a article saying defoe coukd leave for free if the mackems were relegated?….might be wrong like

• WWSBRD

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Forsberg from Leizig?Doubt any of that team are looking to move on anytime soon….otherwise get that Keita in

• SPRINGY

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:23 PM

We have a striker in gayle who is very similar to wikson,gray or king…..and he to is unproven and had his injuries over the years.