Our Man Of The Match Last Night – Simply Brilliant

Whenever Matt Ritchie plays we all know he gives 100% for Newcastle – because that’s the kind of character he is.

This lad took a step down to the Championship to sign for Rafa Benitez and he said at the time he wanted to come because of the size and past glorious history of the club and the fact that the famous Rafa Benitez – winner of three European trophies with three different clubs – was the manager.

Matt’s one of those players who is simply inspired when he plays at St. James ‘ Park – he ‘s an emotional player and last night he gave a demonstration of 100% work rate coupled with 100% concentration and scored the penalty in the magnificent 4-1 win that got Newcastle United promoted straight back to the Premier League.

Matt Ritchie after scoring penalty – Newcastle’s 3rd goal
He was our Man of the Match last night
Brilliant display

We expect Matt to be even better next season for Newcastle in the Premier League that he was last season when he was at Bournemouth.

So that’s saying something.

He’s our Man of the Match with 43% of the vote and hopefully the 26 year-old Scottish International, born in Gosport on the south coast can help is win the final two games.

Matt was born to play for Newcastle United.

🙂

It’s out of our hands now whether we can win the Championship, but we expect Brighton to be able to win at least one of their two games to be crowned as Champions.

But we’ve been wrong before.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JamesToon

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Think for left wing Ryan Fraser would be a great shout. Work ethic, pace and starting to really improve technically

• tonynufc

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Not trying to sound dumb, but happens if the title goes down to the last game. Brighton and Newcastle are hundreds of miles apart. How would they present the trophy. Can anyone shine some light on this

• Ben Afri

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:50 PM

tonynufc

Not dumb. Actually I’ve never thought of that! Perhaps there would be two trophies, one for us and one for where they’re playing and then I’d guess that the scribes probably wait till the results are confirmed before he or she starts engraving. Like the world cup, only two of them.

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Got myself a little bit excited. Read the guardian article where the journalist wildly allures to possible takeovers from the Chinese, as well as indicating the State of Qatar wants a premier league club. After digging in to this, it’s true, they are in fact on the lookout for an opportunity.

Can you imagine? Jeeez.

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM

On the last Sunday Brighton will actually be in Birmingham (Villa Park) and NUFC at SJP
    A chopper just has to sit in field South of Leeds to be 100 miles/45 minutes from either stadium.

• tonynufc

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Could b a long time sitting in stadium waiting for trophy then. Not trying to get carried away like

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I think if we won the Trophy – fans would be quite happy to sit for an hour if they kept the bars open – remember the games will be finishing about 13.45.

• Our Toon

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Tony

It’s happened before in the pl, they have 1 main trophy which will probably be sat with Brighton if they are ahead of us on points by then. At sjp they’ll have a plastic / replica knock off which we’ll be able to raise up as champions. We will only get the real trophy for the parade!!

• Budge123

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Surely the obvious answer is that the FA will bribe the ref to ensure the trophy can be near Brighton all day!

• tonynufc

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Cheers. Our toon

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:13 PM

It would be a nice gesture – if we won the title – if the club offered a free bar for an hour.
    😀
    Imagine the state of some supporters
    Ha ha ha

• Thump

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:22 PM

@Jib: Free bar at SJP? Christ, I only got served yesterday because me and the lad next to me took the beers from behind the counter and offered money for them!

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:24 PM

If we beat Cardiff on Friday night.
    Brighton go into a Saturday teatime game live on Sky Sports 1 just one point ahead of us – that’s pressure their players were not expecting at this stage.

• JamesToon

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:47 PM

New article in chronicle saying Benitez will want to meet with ashley soon, and wants a budget minimum of £70m to recruit 7-10 new players

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Here is the interview last night by Rafa on Cadena Ser – he defo says a warchest of £82 million

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Struggling to move today lol but very happy all the same. Great night last night. Of 18 sides relegated, only two have achieved promotion in the last six years. Worth thinking about. Rafa’s pragmatic approach has been thoroughly vindicated, promoted with two games remaining is success by any standards.
    I love how people know exactly what Ashley’s thinking. One of the world’s most unpredictable persons ever. Clever trick that! 🙂
    The reality is we don’t know. He did say he wouldn’t sell until we win something – does promotion count? I doubt it – but if the right offer came in I think he might. Time will tell. He’s said he wants to sell enough times, so if he sticks by that statement of not selling until we win something, then he knows he needs to invest to achieve that aim.
    We don’t get the PL money until the end of the season, so we can’t count on that yet. How much he gets we’ll only know in time, so no point getting excited, or down yet. We don’t know. Let’s wait until we do before making claims that are simply guesses. He knows what’s required, let’s see what he does.
    The argument that this team won’t survive is a moot point. This won’t be the the team next season, regardless of whoever owns or manages the club. Myself, I’m happy to let Rafa decide who he wants to come in, but bear in mind that he won’t get all he wants this season. That would cost a fortune we don’t have and couldn’t spend without upsetting FIFA anyway. Half a team at best next season, consolidate, and go again the following season. Patience is the watch word. You can’t fix the mess we were in overnight. Give Rafa time. Trust him. He knows what he’s doing.

• Toonces

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:03 PM

Thrilled with the win and guaranteed promotion!! Watched the game on Bein Sports live stream and kicked every ball from the first whistle.

As many are speculating, I am very interested to see who the new shirt sponsor will be. VW or Audi was mentioned and I think that is the level of sponsor an EPL team needs to have – global appeal not just one limited to the UK or China. I was thinking that since Chelsea moved on from Samsung, they could be a good sponsor for us as well. I think that the only comments about the sponsor by the club were that the new sponsor is fitting of a top level football club.

Well it will be great to see how it all unveils for next season. Howay the Lads!

And BTW the negative nancys are so notable by their absence since the win yesterday. A welcome change in the tone of the comments at the moment.

• cyprus

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Ed my good man,
    Usually you go through three four even give MOMs but stop short when the name mitrovic appears 🙂

Never mind. Still, though he wasn’t that good last night, his presence creates trouble and space. Also, forwards need to be on more time in order to be sharp.

I still think he can play a role next year. Our CF s should be him, Gayle and one or two new ones. One deadly striker is a must 🙂

• Toonces

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM

For that matter, Newcastle Brown is a global brand as well so it would be great to see that old school sponsor again too.

• Jib

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Now that Sunlun look to be gone
    Nissan could be a distinct possibility

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM

James, if that’s what he’s asking for, I think he’ll get that minimum. It’s not too extravagant. He’ll want more the following season I think, but more will be available because of PL money.

• cyprus

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Give-five

• Toonces

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Nissan could be a fitting sponsor also

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Bobby,
    For someone with such an avid interest in American politics, lies, power play and conspiracies, that you actually believe what Mike Ashley says ?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM

*I’m surprised

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Toonces, very true mate. No TOF, or jmiley or the other doom merchants. I think that shows where their true loyalties lie and it clearly isn’t with us. You might expect any real fan to be happy, regardless of how they feel about Rafa – who is, ironically the most successful manager ever to run the club. Not a case of “who are ya?!!!”, more like “where are ya?!! 🙂

• Toonces

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM

I think that we are a bit safe from FFP issues for the time being – should Ashley actually want to invest in the players that way. We have been a profitable venture for the past few seasons (maybe this one will be an issue) so the FFP rules I think are based on accumulated losses over a rolling 3 year window. Investment in facilities – like a new training facility, academy or stadium are exempt I believe.

At any rate, it all comes back to Ashley and what he will authorize. We need to spend to catch up to the lowest Joneses and then spend to keep up and spend again to push on.

At least now we can dream about which players we might want to see come in for next season and play games of wishful thinking. All you Shane Long fans are aiming way to low 🙂

HWTL!

• cyprus

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM

This team needs major investment if it is to compete with the likes of… Hull 🙂

60-70 million, to stay up.

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Jail, where did I say I did? I clearly say ‘if’. Surely you don’t need me to explain what ‘if’ means? I look forward mate, you look backwards. That’s your choice. I’m saying wait and see. Sadly I don’t possess your crystal ball! 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Imo we do not need to spend 70,80 or 100M to stay up, did Soton, Watford, Burnley or Bournemouth spend that much when they were promoted? I hope we do spend that much but we certainly don’t need to

• toontaff2

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM

Bobby, maybe the ‘negative nancys’ are still in Toon, celebrating? 💡

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Toontaff, don’t you mean drowning their sorrows? 🙂 After a full season of predicting Rafa would fail and we would never get promoted playing his way, they must be feeling a bit dumb now? With Rafa not knowing this league, but knowing how few teams bounce straight back, he took a very pragmatic view on it and decided promotion was the only game in town and how we got it didn’t matter. To the majority of fans that was enough. Yes, exciting football would’ve been nice and going gung ho attack is nice, but he did it his way and it worked. End of argument. If they can’t acknowledge he was proven right then shame on them

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Bobby,
    No need to be smarmy, you said that he did say that he was going to stay until we won something, there was no ‘if’ in it. I am looking forward, you’re not hearing any complaints from me, I’ve been as far as Brentford this season to help them on. All I’m saying is that I’m surprised you take anything he says at face value.

• WWSBRD

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Bobby
    Not sure he’s unpredictable tbh he purely cares about the bottom line regardless of anything

Pretty sure we can all predict what will happen when Rafa wants Ashley to match his ambitions just no one wants to admit it

• Average_Contents

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Anyone got a link for that conjectured takeover article please?

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM

Jail, read it all mate. What I’m distinctly saying is that If he meant that, then he knows he needs to invest to achieve it. You’ve read it wrong and are nitpicking. I’m not supporting him when I say that, it’s throwing down a challenge to him! As in, ‘you said it, now back it up’. How’s that believing him? Re-read what I put before that and it should make sense. I’m well aware of his history, I’ve lived through it as well you know? He did back McClaren, he just backed the wrong horse – or donkey as it turned out. He’s totally unpredictable matey, so let’s see what he does eh? Nobody can seriously predict what he’ll do next. He’s the epitome of a loose cannon.
    I wasn’t being smarmy either. Don’t be so sensitive.

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:48 PM

WWSBRD, he is totally unpredictable. A loose cannon. Who would’ve thought he’d pay Rafa’s, wages? Totally unlike his previous choices in manager. It’s all guesswork mate, nothing more. We’ll find out soon enough anyway, so why not wait a few weeks before jumping in with both feet. If he does want to win something, then he knows investment is required. Time to put his money where his mouth is. I happen to think he will back Rafa, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t either. That’s the unpredictability I’m talking about. I simply don’t know and am saying so. Nobody knows. You can guess, but that’s all it is.
    Anyway, there’s football on and wor lass wants the telly so it’s the phone for me 🙂 Later mate.

• JackBall

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:50 PM

The great thing about all this uncertainty is that we will find out soon. Can’t wait to that first player is signed and we all say, “I didn’t see that coming.” We will have Rafa and Ashley mysteries solved soon.

• JackBall

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Chelsea up already, oh well, I can’t have a perfect week.

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM

AC – it’s mentioned in this article https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/25/newcastle-premier-league-mike-ashley-rafael-benitez

The Qatar State links she mentions are in this article from November, they don’t mention newcastle specifically, only that Qatar is on the lookout for a club. There’s quotes in there from the head of the 2022 committee too giving it a bit validity https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3943476/amp/Qatar-eyes-Premier-League-club-reckons-World-Cup-chief-Hassan-Al-Thawadi.html