Sort Out Benitez’ Future At Newcastle – A Long Term Contract

Think back two days ago when we are all thought our promotion back to the Premier League could be jeopardized by some tomfoolery from those at the top.

We heard  the Newcastle club was accused of fraud in the transfer market and that Managing Director Lee Charnley had been arrested by HMRC agents and of course the national press went to town and quickly too.

But we also have to say it did look very serious at the time.

But a short 48 hours later and things have settled down considerably, although the HMRC charges are hardly good for the image of our club.

Rafa Benitez – the hope and future of Newcastle United

The change in mode is entirely due to manager Rafa Benitez who seemed upbeat, confident and even proud at his press conference yesterday for the game tonight at Cardiff City.

But he was also down to earth and straight and didn’t sugar coat anything either.

In other words typical Rafa.

🙂

It appears clear he is increasingly confident he can get the backing he needs from owner Mike Ashley  once he presents his comprehensive blueprint for Newcastle’s long term future of success.

This is one of the many interviews Mr. Benitez gave yesterday as reported today in the Sunderland Echo (how did Sunderland get into this?):

“I have been clear. I have been talking with Mike, and we have decided we will talk next week or in 10 days or whatever.”

“It depends on the schedule, but we have already been working on football.”

“I have been talking with Lee and I said ‘Lee, we have to progress with pre-season’, and I said I needed to give him some football information.”

“I was talking about injuries, because we have players we have to sort out now, sooner rather than later and also my future is my conversations with Mike.”

“Everybody is expecting ‘how much money?’. All these questions you have depend on the conversation. We will see where we are.”

“At the moment, I am quite positive. The conversation was quite positive.”  “He was congratulating me and the staff and everyone, and I can say nothing else.”

“He’s the owner, so then it depends on him what we will do.”

“He needs to know my ideas and I need to know what he is thinking and we have to talk about everything.”

“I am a professional. He’s a businessman, and he knows his business, so it’s simple.”

Notice when Rafa talks this week about he needs to sort our his future with Mike, he is probably referring to a new long term contract so he can carry out and execute his vision for Newcastle United Football Club.

When he says his future he would like nothing more than to be manager of Newcastle United so that he is only a one hour helicopter ride away from his wife and two daughters in the Wirral, Cheshire.

Ad Rafa already knows the Newcastle fans adore him so what a terrific long term future this could be for both Rafa and Newcastle.

This man stayed with us and risked his good name in world football to stay with Newcastle United.

He has shown his utter commitment to Newcastle.

Just think what it would have been like if we were in 12th position in the Championship on 61 points and we never even reached the playoffs this season.

That was the fate of Aston Villa.

We don’t mock the Aston Villa fans we commiserate with them.

Let’s hope that Geordie Steve Bruce can bring them back up next season – we’ve all gone through too much pain ourselves and know exactly how the Villa fans will be feeling – they’ve also been badly let down by those running the club from the top.

We should let go and celebrate our return to the big time and the very distinct possibility that Rafa wants to stay (very) long term at Newcastle.

This is even more than we could have hoped for one year ago.

It doesn’t get much better than this at Newcastle.

Or does it?

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare At Cardiff City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Should Newcastle Sign Moussa Sissoko?

Loading ... Loading ...

Would Daniel Sturridge Be Good Value For Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

• Klatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Iker Muniain…end of our winger search

• Rotonda heights

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM

I really hope Carr will fall on his sword and walk away now. For every rare success he’s unearthed there has been an expensive string of failures and the law of averages doesn’t justify him being retained on any level, especially if it compromises Rafa going forward.

• Tsunki

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Don’t think he’s worth one of those 8 year contracts. :D. They are reserved only for proven top notch managers.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM

“Simple”.

I’m going to try and not comment too much on the future direction of the club until these conversations have taken place.

Seems it will be a simple decision for Rafa, based on what Ashleys plans are. We should note “He’s the owner, so then it depends on him what we will do”, which shows that it’s not as simple (that word again) as Rafa and Lee being left to do what they want with whatever money the club does or doesn’t have. Not complaining, just pointing out.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM

ed

sorry don’t share your love in for Villa, just look at their fans’ behaviour towards us last time we went down

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Wwsbrd
    I don’t see much of a difference between the two if I’m honest.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM

rolando…Whilst not received well, I think most fans realised Townsends position. It was clear when he signed that was the deal.

With Sissoko he was touting himself since he arrived, no matter how we were doing. Townsend didn’t see himself better than us, but better than the Championship. That’s the difference for me…never mind ability.

Rotonda…I’m still not sure Carr is as bad as some others do. Need’s checks and balances, possible power reigning in somewhat, but do think too much is made of him being the clubs villain.

• WWSBRD

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:39 PM

ronaldo
    Sissoko never wanted to be at Newcastle he wanted CL which our ambition never stretched to, he was angling for a move after 6 months and always talking about a move when on international duty

Townsend was in need of a move from a club, he liked Newcastle and never said a bad word about us and had we not been relegated he’d still be here with a smile on his face Sissoko wouldn’t

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Townsend was our best player in the final few months of last season. Like Ritchie he showed leadership and that he genuinely cared, ran himself into the ground and scored vital goals, he obviously thought long and hard about his decision and left respectfully.

Sissoko touted himself for years, puffed himself up as if he was above us, didn’t turn up for most matches and couldn’t wait to leave and did so with snide comments.

Worlds of difference.

• Tsunki

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Yes I have to disagree with Ed on his stance regarding Villa.

My message to their fans is that I believe Mr Shearer has finally cheered up and that we have now officially stopped being the poor team they were so quizzical about. I hope they play back their antics on YouTube for many years to come while languishing consistently in this league of the lost.

Message over.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM

What about Batshuayi? On loan? Hasn’t really had a chance at Chelsea but he has bags of potential and looks well built for this league?

• hibbit

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Townsend and Sissoko should not be mentioned on the same blog never mind the same page chalk and cheese

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Personally I can’t wait for the HBA to return to Newcastle thread – should be fun.

• manxpie

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM

On sissoko coming back

• hibbit

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM

another loser

• Tsunki

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM

51Jib // Apr 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM

DubaiMicky // Apr 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    More clickbait, regurgitating a non-story.
    I always thought if you have nothing to say it’s best to say nothing.

You should take your own advice bonny lad.

Yes, DubaiMicky – heed jibs sage offering on this one. I believe he holds exclusive rights to regurgitation and jealously guards it as you can see. 🙂

• TyneMouth

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM

RAFA BINGO. Confirmed Team Sheet;
    _______________________ELLIOT _____________

_____MBEMBA ____CLARK ______DUMMETT __

_____________________HAYDEN _____________________

_YEDLIN __SHELVEY ___DIAME ___ATSU _

______________________PEREZ ______________________

____________________MITROVIC ___________________

VIVA BENITEZ! Cardiff 0. NUFC 2…

• JamesToon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM

From last post, ed the story is b*****ks and sissoko wouldn’t want to come back nor would most of the fans want him back.

Also on townsend, think there’s little chance of him signing for us in the summer, if palace stay up there’s no reason for them to sell him, unless he has a 13m release clause but can anyone confirm thats true?

• Jib

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM

When we bought Sissoko in Jan 2013 we also bought Mathieu Debuchy and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa , the former for £5million and MYM for £6.7million.
    All 3 were French internationals (Sissoko had more caps than MYM) yet we only paid £2 million for MS.
    I thought it weird at the time – it now looks as if it may be more than weird.

• WWSBRD

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Ibiza

That is exactly right and well put…annoyingly haha

• WWSBRD

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Jeffery
    Think u need to do more research around why we only paid 2 mill for Sissoko

• JamesToon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Jib
    Pretty sure he was on the last 6 months of his contract thats why he was so cheap as well as gouffran

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Manx…Thanks for that 🙂

Yo…I was reading your post going “That’s what I just said!”

Sorry to have been so annoyingly accurate 😉

• Ben Afri

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM

On Sissoko.
    I never really saw Sissoko in a position where he was consistent. I don’t trust his judgement in the middle of the park. He would turn and run into players and lose us possession. If he played on the right, I must admit that his crosses were actually pretty good. But that just meant that his strength would be wasted and should be playing in the spine of the team. So he’s always been a paradoxical player. Emotion aside, no thank you.

• Belfast

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Under no circumstances should we re-sign that f****** waste of space and total fraud Sissoko.

Please NO!

Never Never Never Never!

Broadmoor for anybody who would.

• WWSBRD

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM

Ibiza
    Haha I literally couldn’t of put it better

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM

See for me I wouldn’t have either Townsend or sissoko back. True sissoko was touting himself often but to say Townsend wanted to stay with us is a little naive. If we were promoted and a London club came calling he would have been gone again although that’s just my opinion. He did hesitate about coming here in the first place even though we were saving him from the Spurs sidelines. It’s not like he jumped at the opportunity. He did play well in most games but also, when Benitez came sissoko also played well too even at full back in one game.

• Ben Afri

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Jib @19

Never thought of that…interesting

• catchy in norway

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:29 PM

JIB

wasnt he in the last 6 months of a contract

• Jib

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Gouffran had 3 U21 caps – not quite the same.

Sissoko was also reported to have waived his signing on fee he was so keen to join us – which by his later behaviour looks out of character.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Inspector Jib Clouseau – stating he identified some financial shenanigans several years ago re some of our French signings.
    Did you report this at the time . Errr errrr “no”

Are there any more cases you have solved?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Jib…Not a crack, but what relevance does that have? He clearly wanted the move to the PL and the increased wages and was part of the group that were sold the stepping stone line.

Not sure it had much to do with us as a club, which is the point most are trying to make.

Think people are right about the price. We had intended to sign him on a free in the summer.

• Wayayman

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM

RAFA BINGO confirmed line-up…

I’m going for a shocker…

Darlow
    Sterry – Mbemba -Clarke-Lazaar
    Yedlin -Shelvey-Hayden -Atsu
    Perez-Mitro

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I think this summer we should go for hulls Robertson for lb. supposedly available for £8-10 million and would solve our position. I would still say dummett is better defensively but Robertson has been improving on this aspect. He’s much better offensively and has pace. For that price it should be a no brainer since there aren’t that many quality lb’s knocking about that we could seriously go for and sign. What does anyone else on here reckon?

• Jib

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Ibizatoon

You and the rest are probably right.

But those signings were the last act of the slimy Llambias in the transfer market.

He resigned 6 months later supposedly in a huff because of the re-appointment of Joe Kinnear.

I’d love to see Dodgy Derek locked up.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Jib…Your posts are more connected with the recent tax scandal?

Can’t say I’d lose much sleep seeing Del in hot water.

Shame we never got to see what the dream team of Joe and Derek could do over time.

What are either of them up to these days? Haven’t heard about Llambias since Ashleys Rangers move. Again, not that I’m complaining.

• anthc

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Sissoko no, he couldn’t wait to jump ship and continuously belittled us wanting to join a bigger club in cl. Boy was his performance against Chelsea awesome though as he blitzed Ashley Cole!
    Townsend, no thanks he may of been quiet but he was out of here like a shot on the first day of the window. Then there was the January slava, will he won’t he?
    He can stay down there for me and work for hippo heed.
    Sturridge no thanks too. A crocked prima donna who thinks hes the worlds best.
    I’m not sure who I’d like at the minute but some mixture of experience, consistency and hungry pacey young players.
    For starters i’d have Gibson or Maguire at if we can get them. I except we are not a big draw like we use to be but in a few seasons time I think we can be.

• anthc

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Accept* blonde moment.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Anth
    Agree, wouldn’t have Townsend or sissoko back. Definitely don’t want Sturridge, think he’s only had one injury free season in his career.
    Would take maguire in a heartbeat, should raid hull for him and Robertson. We may not be the draw we used to be but I’m sure playing for Benitez would make up for that to attract these types of players.
    We’ve been linked with Cook from Bournemouth and don’t know about anyone else but I do really like him. Very good and underrated player he is.

• hibbit

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:26 PM

no disrespect anyone
    but i have a feeling Rafa’s list will be a lot different than the ones being put up on here !!!
    just look a the players he pulled out of the hat last season