Newcastle Make Move For 26 Year-Old Free Agent Italian Defender

Sky Sports are reporting that Newcastle United (that would be Lee Charnley and his team) have made an approach for Luca Cardirola.

They claim that Newcastle United are one of two Premier League club interested in the player – the other club is Stoke City – and they have approached the defender with a view to a summer move.

The 26 year old center-back has played for all the Italian youth sides through U21 and currently plays at Werder Bremen.

26 year-old 6ft 3ins Italian center-back Luca Cardirola

The really big news and why a number of clubs could be after him is that he is a free agent at the end of June and therefore since January clubs have been able to speak directly with him.

But he could still be a risk even as a free agent because he has suffered from a number of  injuries in his career.

Lucas has been out injured most of this season with ligament damage until he returned earlier this year but he has since come back in the first team with 5 appearances this year.

But he has now broken a bone in his foot and is out injured again.

If we are serious about signing this player this summer then that’s an area Rafa and the Newcastle medics will be looking at closely.

Cardirola started his career at Inter-Milan and was there when Rafa Benitez was the manager in 2010, so Rafa will have seen what a player he was like at that time, although that was over six years ago and he was loaned out for the 2010-2011 season.

What Rafa will know is what his contacts have been telling him about the player, who is now playing in the German Bundesliga and of course Italians are well known for their excellent defensive capabilities.

Luca can also play at left back so he is a left-footed center-back which is quite rare these days. although that’s what our very own Ciaran Clark is.

He left Inter for Cesena in 2012 before joining Werder Bremen the next year and he was sent out on loan in the 2015-2016 season where he played 34 times for German Bundesliga club SV Darmstadt, who were founded in 1998.

He has played 46 times for Werder Bremen with one goal and he could be a great value as a free agent.

Rafa and Lee Charnley will need to do a couple of these types of bargain low-cost deals if Rafa wants up to seven new players brought in this summer.

What do you think?

• geordie157

May 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Who would people like to sell/keep? A few of these will just be released, keeping Dummett & Colback as squad players. Assuming Thauvin is pretty much a done deal to Marseille, although i’d keep him as Rafa would probably get the best out of him.
    Krul – SELL
    Gayle – KEEP
    Murphy – SELL
    Riviere – SELL

• Mister Tuff

May 2, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Ed you posted :-
    “But he has now a bone in his foot and is out injured again.”

I presume you missed out “broken”.

• Ibizatoon

May 2, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Tuff…Or just has 1 bone left in his foot. I could see that being a problem too.

• Kebabacus

May 2, 2017 at 1:09 PM

3 goals and an assist for Thauvin…

• Kebabacus

May 2, 2017 at 1:09 PM

17 in 49 for Marseille now. Crap league though.

• lochinvar

May 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy: I may throw up on ya.
    James T. Kirk: I think these things are pretty safe.
    Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy: Don’t pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait’ll you’re sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles, see if you’re still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.
    James T. Kirk: Well, I hate to break this to you, but Starfleet operates in space.
    Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy: Yeah. Well, I got nowhere else to go. The ex-wife took the whole damn planet in the divorce. All I got left is my bones.

• OneAlanShearer

Armstrong – sell
    Perez – KEEP 3rd choice
    Mitrovic – sell
    Gayle – KEEP
    Murphy – SELL
    Riviere – SELL

My vote would be to use this squad to create a great foundation and build a first xi on top of it using just those I’ve said first choice and new signings.

• JP...from The Rock

May 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM

He seems injury prone. Much prefer we try and snap up that Celtic CB first.

• Ibizatoon

May 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Kebab…Looks decent…sign him up!

May 2, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Ibiza,
    For the sake of the blog I thought you’d be staying away, apparently it was a much better place without you!

May 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM

We’re going to be seeing an awful lot of BUY/SELL lists this summer, even more than the Football Manager filter lists showing which little known Brazilian Left Back who plays in the Albanian league that we used to see. The thing is though after following football for forty years I don’t think I have ever witnessed anything like the clear outs suggested on here at any club. There will be players we simply can’t shift, there will be players we want moving but Rafa doesn’t, Colback could well be one of them, I do think though it will be an interesting summer and at long last a transfer window with the good of the team rather than Mikeys bank balance in mind.

May 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Ooops, sorry I mentioned Mikey, it’s the boring repetitive side of me 😮

May 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Well you’ve got me for the next hour, my helicopter is delayed and I’ve got nowt else better to do.

• JamesToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM

G157

i’d probably agree with that, however i could see us cashing in on diame for £5-7mil to a championship club like villa

May 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM

I don’t know why we’d want to sell Gamez, he’s a very experienced defender who can play anywhere across the back, sods law prevented him from playing last year. Dummet had his first injury free season since I can remember, sods law would have had him out for the second half of the season had we not signed Gamez. In the past Clarke would have been moved in to the LB position in the event of a Dummet injury with Mbemba taking his slot who would also have been injured, there wouldn’t have been a Hanley either as we already had three CB’s and Dummet.

• G

May 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Ed, sorry to split hairs, but SV Darmstadt were formed in 1898, not 1998 (although a team from nowhere making the Bundesleague in that time would be an amazing story). Meanwhile in the story, I don’t think I ever witnessed the guy play.

• ShirebrookToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:28 PM

JFA,

repetitive, boring……. you forgot sarcastic too! 😉

May 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM

JT,
    If we could just get our money back on Diame I would be happy but I don’t think he took a drop in to the Championship just to do it again, he knew he’s be in a relegation battle with Hull and saw us as the better option, I don’t think he’d do it again.

• JamesToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Sels – probs be loaned
    Krul – £5-7mil
    Gamez – £1-2mil
    Anita – Free
    Hanley – Loan
    Lazaar – Loan
    Haidara – £2-3mil
    Good – Free
    Possibly Diame – £5-7mil
    Possibly colback – £4-6mil
    Saivet – £4-7mil
    De Jong – £4-7mil
    Gouffran – Free
    Vuckic – Free
    Murphy – £2-3mil
    Possibly Mitro – £10-15mil
    Riviere – £3-5mil

We could have between £25-40mil coming in for players this summer i reckon.

I think fair budget given by ashley would be anything over £50-60mil.

Positions (providing all players on that list are sold)
    RB
    CB
    LB
    DM
    CM
    CAM
    LW
    LW
    CF

May 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Shirbrook,
    Just another string to my bow 😀

May 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM

JT,
    If we got 3M for Riverie I’d eat Susan Boyles bloomers.

• JamesToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM

I just can’t see the likes of Sels, Lazaar Hanley being sold after only 1 season when they were bought in on 4-5 year contracts

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Jp – agreed. We need players who aren’t going to be and out of the side.

• ShirebrookToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM

I honestly can’t see us selling Diame. He may be of some use to us in the EPL next season. I can’t see us letting any of the players we signed last summer go.

Just saying before people bring out the pitchforks.

• G

May 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM

@24, I can see where you are coming from there, but I think if anybody offers us cash, he will probably go, same with the likes of Murphy and Handley. Decent champo players, bought in to do a job there, now we have secured promotion, I do not expect them to be getting a game, therefore, I suspect they can leave if anybody wants them.

May 2, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Shirebrook,
    I hope people aren’t expecting too much from this season, Rafa is not here to trudge us through season after season of mid table mediocrity and third round cup exits, despite Ashleys history being well known to him he seemed hopeful/confident that he could work together with him so he could be in it for the long haul.

May 2, 2017 at 1:48 PM

G,
    Aye, I would like to think so, not sure about the thinking behind the five year contracts though.

• Ibizatoon

May 2, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Jail…I hadn’t realised that I had either been away, nor that my apparent absence been called a good thing for the blog.

Who have I upset this time?

• Jib

May 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM

• LewSpi v2.0

May 2, 2017 at 1:50 PM

JT

I was being on the optimistic side for my valuations (with the hope of sparking a bit debate), however you seemed to be in a similar ball park. I don’t feel so daft now.

• Ibizatoon

May 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Jib…It is indeed.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen our floating head fan before though (to the far left, in line with Haydens head…with a hand to the side of his face).

• catchy in norway

May 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Jail

are you just one of those guys that does not have his own opinion on footballers, all you ever do is slag off people who post.

what’s wrong with OGS ? as a player won many things, and as a manager he has won things, he has a good win ratio and hi side plays football. the cardiff job was going to be hard for anyone who took it because they had a very difficult owner.

also at the time i don’t remember Rafas name being on the list of potential managers, in fact i’m sure you said we couldn’t attract a decent manager because off your mate ashley, so be quiet silly boy, if you had of called it and he came, then you could gloat all you like, but as it is, you were settling for some 3rate manager with no hope for the future.

• ShirebrookToon

May 2, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Jail,

That’s exactly how I’m thinking. It’s going to take 3-4 windows minimum to be anywhere near the top 7-8. Next season is all about establishing ourselves in the Premier League. Rafas blueprint won’t be just for next season it will be like you said “for the long haul”

May 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Ibizatoon,
    I’m not sure you upset anyone, I think the White Lightning was just kicking in when it was said.

• Ibizatoon

May 2, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Jail…Jib wouldn’t have said something like that about me!

Jib…Say it ain’t so. Whenever I post it’s with you in mind, so this news would be a major blow.

May 2, 2017 at 1:55 PM

catchy,
    All I do, have you read my comments on this thread.

• ToonRich

May 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM

@24, need to remember Rafa built his squad to gain promotion. Whats to say he thinks any of last summers signings are to his EPL standard!

IMO only a few players should be viewed as indespinsible for next season, the rest should have a price! If that price is met then we’d sell and improve the squad hopefully!!

May 2, 2017 at 1:59 PM

catchy,
    What third manager was I settling for? We couldn’t attract a top manager under the old policy and that’s why we hired chancers like Pardew and Mclaren, when Rafa took over he demanded change and got it.

• ShirebrookToon

May 2, 2017 at 2:01 PM

G, ToonRich

Whatever the outcome. It’s gonna be an exciting summer don’t you think?

• ToonRich

May 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Shire,

I hope so. Like many I cant honestly see wholesale changes happening, although we do need them! A fair few media outlets and pundits have touted we’ll be in the market for 7-8 new faces – if Rafa can pull that out of the hat and bring in 1-2 BIG names too I’d be very pleased.