Rafa LIkely To Sell Some Big Players This Summer

There was a good report in the Chronicle yesterday about what Rafa could do to generate funds for new players coming in over the summer.

Mike Ashley will give Rafa some direct funds (cool cash) to buy new players for next season, but he will also want Rafa to sell some players and then use those funds to bring in some of the new players he wants next season.

That makes a lot of sense, because Rafa will want another huge clear out of players as he once again, for the second summer running, raises the standards of the Newcastle squad.

Rafa Benitez – his ambition will show through this summer

And for some players who didn’t quite make the grade last season he may sell them.

Two of those players could be the two Anderlecht players we brought in two years ago – Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba and both are very popular players on Tyneside.

We thought Chancel had a decent game on Friday night at Cardiff City and he does have something valuable as a center-back – speed.

And he can also play at right back, but Rafa hasn’t even tried him there this season.

Fans would not like it if Mitro is sold, although he hasn’t seemed to be able to knock those chances in this season when he’s had the opportunity, but he still has huge potential at only 22 years of age.

‘The news recently from the local journalists was that Rafa will keep him at the club next season.

We’ll see.

Other first team players who could go include Grant Hanley who has surprisingly never managed to nail down a first team starting place, but that’s because of the good form this season of both Ciaran Clark and Jamaal Lascelles.

And if Rafa is successful bringing in Sunderland’s fantastic young  goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, which at best seems like a long shot at the moment, he would need to sell a couple of Newcastle’s goalkeepers.

The Chronicle mentions the impressive Karl Darlow as one who could go, but of course Tim Krul would also be sold if Jordan comes in, because Jordan would be the starter next season.

What we will see this summer is Rafa’s huge ambition in full view to build a team that can be challenging for a top four place in a couple of years.

We mean that – we’re sure that’s just exactly what Rafa wants to do – although he may never mention it in public.

He didn’t come to Newcastle to have a mid-table side that’s for sure.

🙂

Things are looking very bright indeed at Newcastle at the moment.

When is that meeting with Mike Ashley arranged for?

It looks like it will be after next Sunday’s final game, but we’d prefer it to be before that.

Then the  fans will know everything’s OK before the wild and wonderful celebrations start on Sunday afternoon.

What’s Mike’s phone number again?

🙂

Howay The Lads!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Rafa has flirted with 3 at the back before in games sometimes with us and also at previous clubs usually starts with 4231 but he can change it up!

Once he gets more adaptable players with more quality on the ball I think next season we will have options to counter this 3 at the back trend!

Although its nothing new Italian teams have been doing it for years !

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 2, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Rafa will be ruthless this summer as he will have to raise funds from player sales at some point !

Mbemba and Mitrovic would likely raise the most cash

• catchy in norway

May 2, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Lets hope Lascelles is on that list,

• cyprus

May 2, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Is there evidence of Rafa’s so called ruthlessness? I mean he seems a nice fella.

• cyprus

May 2, 2017 at 10:34 AM

How many players do we have who’s contract is running down or there’s just a year remaining? Those will probably go first I’d think.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM

@cyprus

Yeah would love us to get rid of the deadwood as well before we sell first team players!

• WWSBRD

May 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM

I will be surprised if Rafa doesn’t try 3 at the back during pre season

catchy
    Club captain who was asked to play through half the season while injured and despite that had a good season…aye certainly let’s get shot maybe Conte can be tempted again

• Jib

May 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM

You must have come across “fans” like Catchy before. They think it cranks up their credentials as being knowledgeable by having at least one constant “hate” figure (whipping boy if you like).
    There are a few on here who do it – even the commentators Mick Lowes and Ando do/did it.
    It doesn’t make them bad people , just a tad boring and predictable.

• magpie6699

May 2, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Surely the Jordan Pickford business is a complete joke? I don’t think GK is an area of big weakness – Elliott starts for me (he was our player of the season in PL, wasn’t he?) with still young Darlow and / or Krul as back-up.Pickford would cost 10 million+ of our kitty plus wages and he has said he would never follow Colback’s path. The fans may also remember his comments (Rave?) at the end of last season.
    No way Pedro!

• mindcompressor

May 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM

IMHO, if we will be looking for new GK, I would go for Fabianski. He has got more experience, play for national team and I think he is better than Pickford. However, I think Darlow and Elliot are very good so we don’t need to strengthen this position.

• WWSBRD

May 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Flappyanski? No thank you
    And guaranteed Pickford will go to a top 7 club and flop kid looks good facing huge amounts of shots just like their last ‘fantastic’ keeper

• LewSpi v2.0

May 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM

cyprus

According to transfermarkt these are the players in the last 12 months of their contract, however riviere signed a 4 year deal in 2014 so they’ve dropped a ball there

2017
    Riviere, Vuckic, Gouffran and Ameobi

2018
    Krul, Mbabu, Good, Dummet, Haidara, Gamez, Ben El-Mhanni and Murphy

• Ben Afri

May 2, 2017 at 11:10 AM

catchy in norway

why not let’s just get rid of Rafa too while we’re at it. we’ve all begged for players who play for the team for the past decade. now that we have it, let’s kick them to the curb heh.

• cyprus

May 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Thanks Lee and Lew.

So that’s like 12 players right there, leaving lots of room for new faces. Of course, there’s not much money there but we’re swimming in it 🙂

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM

I hope we are not really after Pickford hes not that great! Looks better because his team are getting pounded but thats about it!

• cyprus

May 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Actually maybe there’s more than 20 million there

• Jail for Ashley

May 2, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Ben Afri,
    Catchy has a real eye for talent, he spotted Skolsjærs raw managerial talent and thought even more of Mclaren than Churnley did.

• martoon

May 2, 2017 at 11:33 AM

I really can’t see Pickford wanting to come to us because he’s a Sunderland lad through & through which is fair enough – I would never have played for Sunderland (assuming I was any good at football 🙂 )!

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM

I’m looking forward to hearing rafa has been given the green light by Ashley to do whatever he wants including sell everyone apart from Ritchie, clark,shelvey,hayden,yedlin,gayle,lascellesand Dummett …..A complete clear out with half of those becoming squad players. With a new kit and great sponsor. New training facilities. A pledge to invest and try to reach the top 6 within 3 seasons. …..I can dream can’t I.

• LewSpi v2.0

May 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Would I be way off in saying the following? Form only the players who expire next year?

Krul £3-£4mil
    Mbabu £2-£3mil
    Good £1-£2mil
    Dummet £5-£6mil
    Haidara £3-£4mil
    Gamez £1-£2mil
    Murphy £5-£6mil
    Rivière £2-£3mil

So £22mil-£30mil for almost out of contract fringe players? I’m probably a couple of mil out on one or two of them tbf but doubt I’d be far off. I also think dummet will get a new contract.

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I want to see dominant players brought in with pace and power. Above all I want to see leaders on the pitch. In rafa i trust.

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Lewspi. We will be lucky to give half of them away.

• beermonkey

May 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Can’t see a keeper being that high on the shoppin list
    I think krul will be sold not played that much while out onloan

• LewSpi v2.0

May 2, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Onealanshearer

Haha he exact same though ran through my head as I clicked submit.

Krul and mbabu have both had successful loan spells so they have some appeal, and Murphys stick can only have risen for being promoted. However it’s hard to see anyone pursuing Good, Haidara, Rivière and Gamez.

• LewSpi v2.0

May 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Pissing auto correct…”stock”

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM

It would just be great to see what rafa could do with a proper squad using this on as squad players in the majority. The only first xi players I believe would fit that are Ritchie, Hayden,shelvey. I want to see rafa being ruthless….cut throat. Bloody evil. Give us a real squad rafa.

• Kebabacus

May 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM

LewSpi

I think you are 5-6 million off on Murphy mate 😉

He’s 34! He only cost Celtic a million quid in 2010…

• Jail for Ashley

May 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM

OAS,
    I’ve got absolutely no idea what strategy Rafa will take regarding clear outs, I think it’s going to be a very exciting summer though, even better than last years which will take some topping.

• Jail for Ashley

May 2, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Lew Spi,
    Is the 2/3M for Roovarier what we’d have to pay to offload him.

• WWSBRD

May 2, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Lew
    U must be quite the salesman to get those prices

• Ben Afri

May 2, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Jail for Ashley @ 17

Hahahahaha…I’m glad that you told me before I embarrassed myself any further!

• Tsunki

May 2, 2017 at 12:10 PM

With Catchy damning lascelles to the scrap heap it would appear he has a bright future.

Btw Ed, I actually don’t think many would bat an eyelid if Mitro was sold.

• Tsunki

May 2, 2017 at 12:12 PM

I wonder if we could offer Riviere to Universal Studios as a cast member on The Mummy ride?

• Ben Afri

May 2, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Tsunki @ 33

Hahahaha, it still fascinates me that he has only scored that one goal in 3 years…and that goal was kicked into is standing foot before going in! We think of players like Albert Luque and Xisco when we think of our worst ever players, but Riviere has got to be up there! On a separate note though, I would miss Mitro if he were sold. Just have a soft spot for him I guess.

• Ben Afri

May 2, 2017 at 12:25 PM

I’d still like to see more of Kevin Mbabu to be honest. i’ve only seen him in one Premier League game, I think it might have been against Spurs. But he looked like a real prospect during that game…although I would be a fool to judge him on one game.

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 12:33 PM

I like mitro as well but I think rafa doesn’t see him improving enough. I do think he’s improved just not his scoring which as a striker is key. If we could keep him as 4th choice I’d not have a problem but if we are being ruthless we need players that are effective in their roles. It would need to be twice as busy this summer to see rafa start the season with the squad I’d like him to have. Players like Riviere should never wear the shirt again. I’m sure he’s a nice bloke but he’s never even seen a striker.

• OneAlanShearer

May 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Ben – mbabu looked to have raw talent but I’m not sure if he is another that doesn’t follow instructions. He chased hazard all over the pitch. Id like to see him loaned out in the championship and see what he has there.

• Jib

May 2, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Ben Afri
    Kevin M’Babu said in an interview in Autumn on Swiss telly that he would not be returning to NUFC.
    He does seem to pick up a lot of yellows playing for Young Boys

• Ben Afri

May 2, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Jib

Ahh, yeah that makes sense. It’s a pity, cos as OneAlan says, he did seem to have raw talent but I guess it’s best to let him go if he struggles to follow instructions.

• Munster Mag

May 2, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Jail, I beat u to that! I used to give Catchy dogs abuse because he loved solsjaer so much :). But he thought I loved pardew 🙂 and never forgave me 🙂