It’s All Big Smiles At Benton In Training Today

The Newcastle web-site has published a number of pictures of the lads and coaching staff in training today at Benton and one thing that stands out is the lads all seem very happy.

You would think we had already won automatic promotion back to the Premier League or something.

Here ‘s some of the excellent photos taken at Benton today, with no introductions of the players now needed.

Our final game of what has been a dour but very successful season is on Sunday afternoon  at home to Barnsley where big celebrations are in order.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM

@Bobby

Exactly what I was thinking would be good experience to have plus he is still a quality player ! Liverpool have been playing him at centre back this season which is crazy!

• lesh

May 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM

It’s good to see the lads in good fettle. I wonder if Rafa’s told them the one about Ashley’s ambition for the Club. It’d crack anyone up!

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 3:20 PM

A very happy bunch. Looks like they’ve just read Tuff’s posts. Must apologise, I really shouldn’t mock the mentally ill. I’ll try to do better.

Wonder if Gayle will start on Sunday? If he’s fit I’d start him purely because the team plays to his strengths well. Mitrovic, despite his fee, has struggled most of the season to score goals in this league. Luckily we’ve had Ritchie stepping up to the plate with goals, but neither big striker has excelled to be fair. Murphy looks the most likely, whereas Mitro brings in players around him better.
    If we weren’t still in with a chance of winning the league I’d like to see some fringe players given a chance but Rafa will likely have his eye on the bigger prize.

• lochinvar

May 4, 2017 at 3:26 PM

I would be smiling if I’d been told I was getting a share of a £5million squad bonus.
    How about a collective donation to little Bradley’s and the other youngsters fund for no other reason than it’s worthwhile.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Lee, I never rated him at first mate, but the more he played the more I appreciated exactly what he brought to the midfield. I don’t get why he’s playing at centre back at all, but that only goes to show he must be a useful man to have around.
    When he played with Gerrard he allowed Gerrard the freedom to dictate the play by doing the dirty work. Like Colback was doing with Shelvey, just a whole lot better. 🙂 On a free transfer he would be a no brainer for me. Nothing to lose for sure.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Good shout loch. In fairness, I think all the players have their own favourite charity they donate to though.

• Jib

May 4, 2017 at 3:51 PM

• ToonRich

May 4, 2017 at 4:05 PM

I wonder if Sels will be put in the shop windown on sunday?!

• The Newcastle Armchair

May 4, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Rafa charged over pre-match comments about the referee for the game against Preston last week.

• barkel

May 4, 2017 at 4:16 PM

At his pre-Preston press conference, Benitez said: “I was really surprised with that situation.

“We have to trust the referees. We have not had a lot of luck with them.

“I always trust the referees, and hopefully everything will be fine and we are not talking about the referees at the end of the game.”

That doesn’t look like much to me .. very surprised that he’s getting charged for that. Could it be the FA love giving Newcastle a hard time?

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM

What were Rafas comments?

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Barkel…Apparently even subtle digs aren’t tolerated!

• giimps

May 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM

I wonder if Neil Pillock will be charged too……..for being a myopic dinosaur manager with zero credibility…….just like the FA if truth be told

• Jib

May 4, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Rafa also said that the situation where a referee from Huddersfield (who were creeping up on us) taking such an important match wouldn’t happen in Spain or Italy.
    It seems fair enough to me .
    Clattenburg isn’t allowed to take the Mackems.

• Oldgit1

May 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM

It’s report by the DE that philipp Albert has been involved in a car incident. Apparently there is more information to follow.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Welcome to Newcastle Rafa. This is where you find out things you said at Liverpool that were fine, are not tolerated when connected to Newcastle United! 🙂 His comments, given the crap we’ve had to put up – especially four officials who couldn’t get the basic laws of football right – have been incredibly conservative. How he didn’t call those four clowns outright cheats shows how tolerant he is. Once again the FA show bias against us. Nothing changes and likely never will

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Oldgit…Hope he’s ok. Will you post the update when it comes out?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM

legend Philippe Albert has been involved in a car accident in his native Belgium, leaving a baby and one other person injured.

Report and image on CHRON Website

• giimps

May 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM

The sooner the FA are replaced by football people, who understand the game rather than a gentleman’s club inhabited by senile dinosaur dictators the better.
    How can it be bringing the game into disrepute to say that a situation we found ourselves in wouldn’t happen in another country?

• JamesToon

May 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM

A few budget transfers that could possibly happen? Charlie Taylor, Lucas Leiva, Jermain Defoe all on frees??

• JamesToon

May 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Stupid that rafa was charged. He was only speaking the truth, but his comments weren’t even that direct or bad

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Oldgit1, I certainly hope he’s not badly hurt. Cars are much better at handling a smash than they were when I had mine, so fingers crossed. Every time I see a car accident it sends shivers down my spine, even after 35 years. When it involves a Toon hero it’s even worse. Please keep us updated mate.

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Good to see that Albert is ok.

Hope the father and child are too.

• Jib

May 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Albert is uninjured
    It wasn’t his fault
    The passengers in the other car which crossed the white line on the dual carriageway outside Charleroi were taken to hospital injured (including a baby )

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 4:43 PM

James, Charlie Taylor and Lucas for sure, but Defoe hasn’t scored in months and is fairly responsible for the mackems demise. Can’t say he hasn’t had the chances, he’s missed some sitters. Much rather give the place to Arma and look forward, not back. Defoe has had his day. His wages would be far too much for what we’d be getting. Already said my bit on Lucas, he’s a quality player and someone to help Hayden progress. Some games you need bite and he can be a real terrier. 🙂

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 4:49 PM

I hope all the injured are fine. Just shows you how your life can change at the drop of a hat even when it’s not your fault. Shyt happens unfortunately.
    I lost both kneecaps in a car crash, my best buddy lost his life. Got everything crossed there’s no serious damage to anybody. A moments lapse in concentration by the sound of it. Should be barriers between oncoming lanes, especially as both are overtaking lanes.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Ah, right, not head on then. Phew! The white line was the slip road. Just me immediately fearing the worse from what was written. Hate RTA’s. Lot of damage for what happened. Hopefully all will be well. Glad I checked that! It wrote ‘hate RTA’s’ and it spellchecked ‘hate Rafa’. 🙂

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Bobby…I think in Phillipe’s case, the other car was coming in from a slip lane, not from an oncoming lane.

Lost far too many to car accidents also. They’re scary things when you think about the speed and closeness. Makes you not want to ever get in one.

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Caught it yourself. Don’t mind me 🙂

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Ibiza, Aye, I just read what Jib wrote @25 and misinterpreted the situation. The worst is it doesn’t have to be your mistake that can kill you or cripple you. Like Albert there, driving along, probably paying attention but not expecting the other driver to pull out on him. Who would? Nothing he could do but could’ve been so much worse. I’m just glad there were no fatalities.

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Bobby…My Mum always said to look ahead and spot the danger, but often, that isn’t enough.

A fair few idiots out there. I mean, just look at the blog! (hope that was received with the humour that was intended).

Defensive driving at all times, but I’m sure you know that.

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Jib…Missed that he was driving a vitara! Not sure how his vehicle has come out with less damage really.

Vitaras are glorified go-karts!

• Moonraker15

May 4, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I thought Rafa was very canny on the comments he made pre match about Bobby Badely being from Huddersfield. It highlighted a potential bias and made it unlikely they a controversial decision would go against us !

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM

I do do humour very much – not always picked up on though 🙂 No offence taken – I know you were talking about yourself anyway lmao. 🙂
    Like I say though, he probably was fully aware of his surroundings, but what do you do when somebody just does something totally unexpected and completely out of your control? It’s like when you see a pedestrian stop me at the kerb. Look both ways and inexplicably step out into the road! The driver naturally assumes the pedestrian has seen him and the last thing he expects is for him to just step out, but it happens time and again. Totally illogical and inexplicable and NOTHING the driver can do.

• ShirebrookToon

May 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Rafa charged. FA needs a massive shake up. Run by a bunch of know nowts.

• catchy in norway

May 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM

i was only joking when i said i hated pardew.

subtle humour ????

• ShirebrookToon

May 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Never forget that goal that Albert scored against Man Utd to make it 5-0. Class goal!

Absolute legend