Our Man Of The Match Just Had His Best Season At The Club

Ayoze Perez had another good game for Newcastle yesterday and scored a superb first goal when he back-heeled the ball into the net – reminiscent of his famous goal at West Brom  back in November, 2014.

This lad has all the skills and we are hoping that his compatriot Rafa Benitez can bring out the best in the 23 year-old in the years ahead.

It’s also obvious that Ayoze is enjoying his football on Tyneside but he knows he still needs to become more consistent, but there’s no doubt this lad can score the goals.

This season he has scored 12 goals and had 6 assists in 42 appearances for the club (28 starts) and it’s his best return in the three years he’s been at the club since he signed on from Tenerife for just a measly £1.4M three years ago.

Superb Ayoze Perez goal yesterday

In his three seasons on Tyneside Ayoze Perez has made 117 appearances with 25 goals and 9 assists – a good return.

Perez got 45% of the vote and next in line is 25 year-old Christian Atsu on loan from Chelsea, who had another good game for us yesterday.

Christian helped to brilliantly set up Ayoze’s goal and surely he has now done enough to warrant a permanent deal at Newcastle.

With his form of the last few games, with Matt Richie being out injured, it will now be a big surprise if Rafa doesn’t give him a deal att he club.

Let’s hope he gets one and he’s also a firm fan favorite and looked very good yesterday and was unlucky not to score himself..

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Barnsley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bambams

May 8, 2017 at 3:41 PM

I hope Perez makes the step up, he just sometimes goes missing but other times can be brilliant

• ShirebrookToon

May 8, 2017 at 3:42 PM

I think a season in the championship will have done him some good.

• Tsunki

May 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Blackley doesn’t rate him though. So that’s that.

• ShirebrookToon

May 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Didn’t he say he had a good game yesterday though?

• Tsunki

May 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM

…and?

• ShirebrookToon

May 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Just sayin…

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Given the headline, thought this was worth a reprint.

Just watched the extended highlights and it again looked like Jonjo was pulling the midfield strings, hate to think how we’d have done without him this season.

Interesting to see Charlie’s match ratings compared with the voting for MOM with Colback, his choice, way down the list. A lot of people agree with his assessments so just how many vote without seeing the match or (bit of controversy here) do not take in or appreciate the nuances of the game.

I’d have started an off-form Perez over Diame any day and I think he;s getting the hang of the rigours of English football so think he’ll be a star next year.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Perez to me looked to have lost confidence at the start of the season he was getting kicked all over the place and was getting no protection and he then seemed to go hiding!

A little time out and he seems to have toughened up he has scored some crucial goals that have got us a lot of points this season!

I dont think him and Gayle worked too well though as both kind of need a player who can hold the ball up but he is certainly worth keeping next season

• JackBall

May 8, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Back on an old subject about whether Rafa wants to sign another keeper. Speaking about Reina speculation, Rafa was quoted “We missed him [at Napoli] in the year he went to Bayern Munich, now he can make a difference both on and off the pitch. Would I take him to Newcastle if he left? I respect Napoli, as that’s where he is, and our club which has a lot of goalkeepers who are doing well.”

Obviously not true evidence of anything, but would suggest again that a GK is not a primary target.

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Jack…Rafa’s opinion of our GK’s does confuse me a bit.

He seemed happy with Darlow, but clearly thought more was needed with the signing of Sels. Considering we were dropping a league and already had Elliot as backup, it didn’t say a lot about Darlow imo (even though I do rate him personally).

Is the Sels experiment over yet or does Rafa think he’ll fair better in the PL?

Not so sure we wont see activity in this department, though this might depend on outgoings as we really don’t need another GK on the books, no matter how good they are.

• WWSBRD

May 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Jack ball
    You mentioned on the last thread that all Newcastle matches are live in usa. What network is that, nbc? Would like to know for next year using kodi.

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2017 at 3:59 PM

Yo…That would be nice.

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Gk is a tricky one for me too. We currently have krul, Elliot, darlow, selz and woodman. Obviously woodman should go on loan but what do with the other and who is the number 1 keeper. Krul has regressed and although he’s back playing doesn’t seem to be at his usual standard. I think I would probably sell selz and keep the other three for this year.

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM

It’s funny looking through the posts previously and seeing the arguments people are having. All for arguing and debating about football or Newcastle etc but a lot of it is childish bickering 🙂 what’s funny is I work in a school and there’s more arguing going on here than at school.

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM

rolando…I like to think (hope) that the pettiness of it all stems from the fact that deep down, we all love and want what is best for the club.

That, or we’re all mental. Could be both tbf.

Krul is another interesting point. How long does he have on his contract? If it’s just 1 year, I’d imagine he’ll be sold.

• JackBall

May 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Ibiza,

Agreed. If we sell Krul and Sels for a reasonable, than of course we will bring someone in. But I do not believe one will be bought with any of the available money.

Ronaldo,

Yes, it is NBCS. They put the noon game, and the afternoon’s “featured” game on NBCS main channel and the late game on the national NBC Channel (over air, no cable needed). The other games are on channels they call EPL1, EPL2, etc., and occasionally on CNBC. The EPL channels only operate on Saturday. Sunday and and Monday are on NBCS. Not sure how you find them on Kodi, because I never needed to. I use Kodi for Sky.

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:09 PM

In response to previous thread.
    Diame..sell
    Lazaar..sell
    Sels..sell
    Anita..keep for another year or two to allow sterry to go out on loan
    Gouffran..release
    Atsu..buy for the reported £6 million
    De Jong..sell. Unfortunately is too injury prone.
    Krul..keep but if we are after another keeper then I guess krul would be the most obvious to sell.
    Saviet..sell
    Mbabu..keep for fb positions if he’s had an injury free season. Plus depends on age too, is he old enough to take a 25 man squad place.
    Sammy..release man, didn’t realise he was 25 till someone pointed it out. 25!!
    Vuckic..release.
    Haidara..sell even though I liked him, dummett should be competing with, ideally, Robertson for lb.

• magscar

May 8, 2017 at 4:09 PM

LCBP@8

Think Rafa generally went with Gayle and Diame as a preference and Perez rarely worked well with him. No 10 isn’t Perez’s best position but then I wonder what is. Noticed quite a few times Rafa took time to speak with him when coming on or at end of game and seems to have a liking for him. Unless silly offer comes in I suspect Rafa is likely to stay with him for next season but he needs to find some consistency

• WWSBRD

May 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Ibiza
    Consider it a yo-exclusive…yo-lusive if u will haha nailed on we are linked with him

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    Cheers for reading my match/player analysis or as I call it ‘The way I saw it’

funny how different people/papers give merit marks…
    Today’s Mirror gave it to Mbemba with 9 – me had a good game but a bit weak in a couple of tackles.
    Followed by Colback and Shelvey on 8
    thought Shelvey’s radar was off yesterday looked like he was also carrying a niggle.

Chronicle give it to Perez with 9 rest with 8 me with Perez had a great game but second half ran into to many blind allies when a pass would of been better. Hell of a finish though for first goal
    And brilliant link up play first half between Atsu, Perez and Yedlin – led the Barnsley defence a merry dance

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Ibiza
    I think both too but I reckon there’s a couple on here that get off on friction and chaos!
    Regarding krul, I’m sure this is going to be his last year. When he went out on loan I’m sure he signed a contract extension as originally he would have been out of contract this summer. I imagine he’s the keeper that the club would most like to move on as I reckon he’ll be a top earner.

Jack ball
    That actually helps a lot thanks 🙂
    I used nbc a lot last year but didn’t realise that all Newcastle games were shown. I’ve seen channels on kodi called epl1 etc so now I know what they are.
    I usually use zem as it has hd links of pretty much all sport channels in the world. Really good add on if you’ve not come across it.

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Yo…An elusive yolusive?

I’m going to order a shirt with his name on then. What number will he be?

• WWSBRD

May 8, 2017 at 4:21 PM

Ibiza
    19 he’s a massive Demba Ba fan

Reckon I can get atleast 5000 Twitter follows with this itk gold

• JackBall

May 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Transfer market has De Jong at 6 Mil euros or just over 5 million pounds thanks to Brexit. Tough call – to sell right away or give a look at during the summer. I too am scared of the next injury.

As for Perez, not sure what his position is either, but pretty certain, he will be getting some game time next season.

A true #10 is my top priority, and Perez is not that and Jong may not be good enough, even when healthy, but if somehow he is both, boy would that leave a good bit of extra money for other needs.

• ShirebrookToon

May 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Iheanacho. Sign him up. The lad is dynamite

• JackBall

May 8, 2017 at 4:25 PM

I will load up Zem. Thanks. As for the EPL channels, not all are in HD, and unfortunately, Newcastle often does not rate as the top game, hence SD reception. The one good thing about playing London or Manchester is that you usually get the HD channel.

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Yo…You’ll be an ITK whizz in no time.

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Remember when Benitez came there were strong rumours of us being linked with insigne of Napoli, I think these were before relegation was confirmed. Does anyone think there might be more to it and rumours may surface again?

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Jack ball
    No worries, often on zem standard channels are still good quality. Once you can navigate through and know where the channels you want are then it’s great sports add on. Got the Joshua klitschko fight on there too 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 8, 2017 at 4:33 PM

There will be loads of transfer rumours concerning the TOON the next 3 months – should have a transfer totaliser keeping tabs on all the rumours

• JackBall

May 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Charlie,

Are and will be a ton of rumors. I just hope that Rafa does a quick signing or two to settle the crazies on this site down, myself included. Rafa seems to be the type that will get his business done as early as possible, but has the patience to wait to the end. Because player values will be so speculative this season, it may be difficult to get reasonable prices early on, so my hopes are not great. I think that is what happened in January, reasonableness could not be obtained with other clubs, and prudence (or cheapness- depends who you ask) prevailed.

• Tsunki

May 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM

I’m looking forward to ITK season. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Arguments, what arguments?

Lots of (at times) passionate discussions but arguments, never!!

• magscar

May 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Charlie

NUFC.com do good job in collating and keeping track of transfers – rumours and actual. Often makes interesting reading in later seasons 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Jack
    anyone notice that Charlie Taylor refused to play for Leeds yesterday

• Jib

May 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM

I thought it was interesting that the Sports writers gave their award this season to N’Golo Kanté – a proper “doon and dorty” grafting real footballer rather than some fancy dan , glamour boy.

• Belfast

May 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Sorry Ed but he was shite all season when it really mattered. He turned up the last two games when the pressure was off.

• Belfast

May 8, 2017 at 4:47 PM

I’m gonna put my neck on the line here (phew) and say he won’t be joining Barcelona this summer.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Mascara
    Cheers for that i’ll have to have a nosey on there.