Initial Report Of Benitez – Ashley Meeting Are Positive

The ChronicleLive today are reporting  the talks between Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez and owner Mike Ashley last night went well and that another round of talks is scheduled.

And Rafa was back at his desk at the Benton training grounds today and should be working hard today with Lee Charnley.

The meeting was really Rafa’s last night in that Mike Ashley was presented with the manager’s proposals for the club and how Newcastle could become successful in the Premier League.

Rafa Benitez – positive meeting last night

The meeting included Managing Director Lee Charnley and apparently Rafa went through a host of things – not just about the transfer market this summer – but how Newcastle as a club could improve to become one of the top clubs in Europe over time.

Obviously everything cannot be done at once and the main thing this summer is to get the funds sorted out so that Rafa can have a side that is competitive next season in the Premier League.

The three could agree on a  phased approach of improvements over say the next three years, as one possibility.

Rafa is big on planning, so we fully expect  things to be phased in this year, next year and the year after.

It’s also clear that Lee Charnley is becoming a key figure at Newcastle and the news is that Rafa and Lee will be working today on things they presumably got the go-ahead on last night.

Rafa should now know the approximate funds he will be getting this summer and he will be able to make some initial decisions on players – like whether to offer Yoan Gouffran, Vurnon Anita and Christian Atsu new contracts this summer.

These things have to be done quickly and players who will be released from the club should  presumably be announced shortly.

This is a good first step and it seems remote now that Rafa would leave the club  and he will be hard at work with Lee Charnley today getting some of the massive work underway the two have to somehow get done this summer.

It helps that both are workaholics.

🙂

• ShirebrookToon

May 10, 2017 at 12:33 PM

So far so good. Maybe this could be the 5 year plan Ashley was talking about all those years ago 😀

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

A lot of talk about Townsend in jan. we all only have rumours to go by but it seems that palace may have owed us money for Townsend (true or not doesn’t really matter), they only wanted to sell (rumours were they wanted 15 mil even though they paid 13) and we wanted to loan him. For me he shouldn’t have been a target anyway as he’s still primarily a rw who can play on the left. Ritchie and atsu are also rw who can play on the left.
    The point I’m trying to make is we still will have been unbalanced as neither three are great or look suited on the left wing. Shouldn’t have went for Townsend, we need a genuine natural left winger. Not somebody who can play there and do a job.
    Also I would have told palace to do one from the start if they wanted more than they paid only six months earlier where the player has not settled, played poorly and started to have the fans on his back.

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Lol I’ve had a look at previous posts and people are being slightly ambitious aren’t they with transfers, I love it and it makes a change.

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Everton are supposedly linked with Sandro Ramirez. Does anyone think that if he was a target of ours that we could persuade him to join us than them.
    Pros are that we’ve got Benitez, offer first team football since he can play upfront and on the wing, big stadium and crowd.

• WWSBRD

May 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM

ronaldo
    Townsend was worth more than 13 mill when Palace signed him he would of gone for the similar to Gini had that not clause not been in place so 15 mill for him 6 months later is still a good deal

• expatmag

May 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Rolando

Everton will more than likely be armed with 80m quid from the sale of Lukaku

• ShirebrookToon

May 10, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Expat

Aye but we’re armed with Rafa 🙂

• G

May 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Are we in a position to offer Atsu a contract Ed? Has a fee been agreed with Chelsea?

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Wwsbrd
    Yeah that was the release fee and not the value of the player I get that but when the player has done poorly that the club were open to selling him 6 months later, then why should they get a profit out of it. That doesn’t sit well me. Plus he’d have been on bigger wages than when he was first with us so for me I wouldn’t agree to that. You’re essentially giving palace £2 million for nothing over six months.
    Either way I would have preferred us to go for a genuine left winger which Townsend isn’t.

Expat
    That’s if we go for him after they sell lukaku, if we move early then it’s fair game. Fee won’t change because it’s a release clause, it’s just down to wages. I don’t know if Everton have a wage structure or ceiling to blow us out of the water.

• AncientC

May 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM

I find it incredulous, the amount of people calling for the backing of Benitez, yet on the other hand, making excuses for Townsend not being signed.

Sure, some of you may not have rated Townsend, but Benitez did, and that is the defining point.

• WWSBRD

May 10, 2017 at 1:07 PM

ronaldo
    Who cares not our money, he was fantastic for us on the pitch which is all I care about he’s also be fantastic for Palace on the LW since Jan. We’ve had more than our fair share of money making transfers…whats 2 mill to a football club?

• NUFCadon

May 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Simply great news that the meetings are going well. I hope we can get to work signing some players ASAP! for me though a massive boost to the club would be developing the training grounds and youth academy. You just have o look at Southampton to see the benefits of investing in youngsters

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM

WW…, Ancient,
    I’ve heard a few people say now that they were write to not spend as we got promoted, that’s basically agreeing with Ashley/Charnley deciding when we should or shouldn’t buy.

• lochinvar

May 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Rafa had a night out with Ashley and Charnley on the razz , joy riding in helicopters and munching biscuits.
    This morning he’s back at the Benton training ground fresh as a daisy.
    What a man

West Ham have their eye on Toure – that sounds a good fit.
    London, loads of money, dodgy stadium , night clubs etc and Palace ( if they stay up ) round the corner if things go wrong.

We need warriors and next generation stars not pensioners.

• Ibizatoon

May 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM

barkel…In respect to what?

• Lindisfarne

May 10, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Can anyone answer Jail for Ashley’s question regarding the previous owners excessiveness in comparison to the supposedly more frugal MA?

If Hall and Shepard could afford to buy and page the wages of top line players like Shearer, Owen, Batty etc, change managers regularly, syphon off £144M for themselves and only leave the club in debt by £34 with a similar operating loss.

Where is the money under the current regime?

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Lindisfarne,
    I’m sure it was 44M and not 144M.

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:25 PM

But even still, with bigger revenues where has it gone.

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Ancient
    Not making excuses, have a look back to jan and I said the same thing now. he wanted McCarthy for £20 million too, should we have made that signing?

Wwsbrd
    Maybe not our money but I think as fans we like getting good deals. That’s why there’s lots of us thrilled and overjoyed by the fact we got Hayden for 2.5 million.
    For me it’s more than just the money, I thought I explained previously. More of the principle of buying something, not working great and give it back but you’re the one out of pocket. To be fair he’s had a couple good games on the left since jan but I wouldn’t say he’s been fantastic, he’s had some good games, he’s had some average and poor ones too. I’d rather just get someone who is naturally a left winger. We’ve only got aarons but he’s made of glass and makes dyer look like superman on steroids.

• WWSBRD

May 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Jail
    Yeah doesn’t fly with me. Form in the second half of the season shouldn’t be ignored and imo we were a couple of injuries away from play offs

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM

The 144M must include the selling price.

• expatmag

May 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM

JFA

And whats wrong with that?

They are not wrong all of the time

• Lindisfarne

May 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM

The only thing I can think of is that there is a lot of expenses being attributed to the club and revenue being diverted.

• barkel

May 10, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Ibiza

When McClaren was first linked with us

• Lindisfarne

May 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM

£144 in their back pockets from two sources, Carl and the Guardian.

The other factor must be that overall revenue has in percentage terms decreases from finishing positions and sponsorship.

• Ibizatoon

May 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM

barkel…I see. I think at the time, many were just happy to see an actual coach of some description being signed up. We were off the back of the Carver experience.

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Regarding the question you mention about halls, shepherd and Ashley. Just a suggestion and I’m not saying I know it all but with revenues increasing, having wages gone up too. Not saying it covers everything but I imagine it’s a considerable amount.

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM

EXPAT,
    Considering they’ve had us in more relegation battles than not deciding when we should or shouldn’t buy, I’d say pretty much everything.

• Ibizatoon

May 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Where’s the money?

Well, revenue is up, but not due to NUFC. It’s only the TV money that’s up, all other commercial revenues were actually down the last time I checked.

We’ve had 2 relegations with Ashley, none with the previous owners.

We had European money coming in (as we liked to compete back then).

Sponsors would pay to advertise. Counter that with we would pay interest on debt (I suppose).

That’s just the obvious.

No doubt the club will be receiving a huge cash injection from the Strawberry place development…

• WWSBRD

May 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM

ronaldo
    Mate fans like good financial deals these days because tgats the rhetoric Ashley wants us to follow, if Hayden cost 15 mill instead of 2.5 would u like him less? Of course u wouldn’t least I hope u wouldn’t because it’s a daft thing to care about

On Townsend getting a PL winger to come in Jan would of been a good deal he’s been one of the few good things at Palace this year along with Zaha and Sakho

It’s fine if u wanted a LW mate but we got no one

• Jail for Ashley

May 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM

You just have to look at the commercial revenues of us and Spurs in 2007 and now to realise something isn’t right.

• WWSBRD

May 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Ibiza
    Aye someone will get a huge injection of cash from NUFCs former asset

• Ibizatoon

May 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Yo…Mike’s a new man, honest. Just look at how he backed Schteve!

I even saw a photo of him smiling with Benitez.

He wouldn’t just add that profit, from an entity which must wipe it’s own nose, yet be competitive, just go to it’s parent company.

If you can show me one example where he’s let one of his entities suffer for its parent company you may have a case. What, there are examples? They must have been before his change of heart.

• expatmag

May 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM

JFA

But you cant argue with the result……despite the fact we have had injuries to key players, suffrred ridiculous refereeing decisions, coped with ACON and suspensions to key personnel……or was that their fault too?

• AncientC

May 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM

ronaldo, Benitez was not involved in the negotiations for Townsend, so it is doubtful he wanted McCarthy for £20 million. There is nothing to back up the theory that Benitez wanted to spend that kind of money on McCarthy. Benitez did however namecheck Townsend as a/the player he wanted.

• ronaldo aarons

May 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Wwsbrd
    No it wouldn’t make me like him less but for £15 million you would have expected him to perform like he has this year. Fans tend to complain if we pay over the odds too, I remember there being a few complaints when we signed Townsend originally for £11 million considering he was out in the cold at Tottenham and hadn’t played for however long.

True that we got nobody in jan. I would have liked us to sign a left winger, cover for Shelvey and possibly a number 10. We were linked with Townsend, McCarthy and cairney (until we were priced out). Neither Townsend or McCarthy would have filled these positions. I’m dissapointed we didn’t sign anyone but I’m glad we didn’t sign these two players.

• Jib

May 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM

“There was no time to do the usual due diligence on the deal because I had to move so quickly.
    “So I paid £144M for the club with the expectation that there was a debt of £70M. Actually it was around £100M so there was suddenly an extra £30M to find. But I just thought: ‘Shut up about it’. I’m a big boy and I didn’t cry.

“To me the real issue was this: Was the debt bigger than I thought?

Would I have changed my mind if I’d known the full extent of the debt?

Not one iota.

“It might have been a different story if I had needed to go to the bank to borrow the money but I didn’t.”

“I have my own money and anyway, I tend to live by the saying you can’t take it with you.”

• JackBall

May 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM

WWSBRD,

I would argue that our evaluation of him may be different. Obviously, the most important thing is performance on the field. But, when evaluating the success of a deal, don’t you consider what else was available for the same money. We all know that the amount of money we have is more finite than we would like, but accept that a finite amount is still acceptable. If we spent 15 mil on him and that would have been 30% of the summer budget. Who would we not have gotten if we paid that amount? At 2.5, we love that we were able to get him along with Gayle and Ritchie, et al. Our view of him is linked to what else we were able to accomplish, so in all honesty, his play may not have been as well perceived at 15 million, because maybe he would have been required to have done more for us to still succeed.

• JackBall