Newcastle Face Some Tough Competition For This Free Agent

Newcastle have been linked with signing Leeds United left-back since last summer and he will now become a free agent at the end of June – so he could become a real bargain buy for the club.

Because Charlie came through the Youth system at Leeds from the age of 16, the Yorkshire club would be due some compensation because he is still under 24 – he turns that age in September.

That compensation is usually decided between the buying and selling club and when agreement cannot be reached an independent tribunal sets the figure.

Leeds United’s Charlie Taylor – free agent this summer

But Bet Victor have priced Newcastle at only 12/1 to sign the 23-year-old with West Brom placed as the odds-on favorites to sign the defender.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis talked about West Brom wanting to sign Charlie a week ago, which seems to be why they have become the odds-on favorites?

West Brom are 4/5 odds-on ahead of Stoke City (6/1) with the huge Merseyside club Liverpool also at 6-1.

Four other Premier League clubs Everton, Tottenham, Leicester and Newcastle – are all priced at 12/1.

Charlie has refused to sign a new deal at Leeds for over a year now and he also annoyed manager Garry Monk last weekend when he refused to play in the final game of the season at Wigan, which ended in a 1-1 draw against the already relegated club.

But Rafa may have somebody else in mind as a left-back recruit and after being promised all that’s available from club owner Mike Ashley in transfer funds this summer, our world-class manager may have raised his standards for summer recruits.

But Charlie would still be quite a bargain buy for the Magpies at a reasonable cost.

What do you think?

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM

Celta playing some nice football

May 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM

Lesh

Thanks for the link. I just saw it now after catching up on previous threads.

May 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM

yeah, watching it now

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Any players worth taking from celta?

May 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM

must be honest mate, I don’t know them well enough to know. but at least its worth watching CL football again with one eye on who we might get. I’m still hoping for Sandro from Malaga.

• JP...from The Rock

May 11, 2017 at 9:39 PM

From Celta? Iago Aspas surely. On to Charlie Taylor we should go get him. He is more composed on the ball than Dummet and a better player all round. An upgrade on him and knows the English style of play compared to a foreigner. If it’s a foreginer for LB I would like us to go for Jetro Willems.

May 11, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I don’t think I’d actually take anyone from celta Vigo

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Aye he would be a class signing. We need more pace in the side. aswell as firepower

• JP...from The Rock

May 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM

Ben Afri- don’t know much about Sandro Ramirez but he has a hell of a shot on him and is very mobile and likes to shoot. Would love to sign him too and for £6m is a bargain.

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:43 PM

JP,

Well I wouldn’t take Guidetti after that effort. 50p head. Jetro willems is dynamite mate. Surprised we ain’t been linked with him yet. I’d love us to sign Bertrand

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Game on!

May 11, 2017 at 9:48 PM

I’d be lying if I said I’ve watched a lot of his games but by what I’ve seen, he absolutely suits our style of quick counter attacking football. Also looks the type of player who could unlock a stubborn defense when we need that spark out of nowhere.

I know this is a pipe dream, or perhaps it’s just cos I still have a soft spot for him, but I’d love it if we tried to get Ben Arfa back.

May 11, 2017 at 9:50 PM

that last reply was to JP…from The Rock

• JP...from The Rock

May 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Shire- never mentioned Guidetti lol Aspas is quality. Though we we’re heavily linked with Guidetti a couple of seasons ago remember.

May 11, 2017 at 9:52 PM

Lyon is absolutely destroying Ajax! what an attack! Cornet looks like he would be a great buy to replace Atsu.

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:52 PM

JP

I know you didn’t mate lol. Was just mentioning him because of previous interest

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 9:53 PM

Wasn’t Aspas at Liverpool?

• JP...from The Rock

May 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM

Ben Afri- I still miss HBA. Say what you want about him but his skillswere a joy to watch as he danced around the opposition time and time again. Effortlessly skinning opponents at will. One of my favourite players ever. It really sucks it ended the way it did with him all thanks to the twat that is Pardew. It is criminal for a player like HBA to be made to track back. It’s like asking Messi to track back. Players of HBA are rare and should stay upfront and the defense or the players behind him cover the space he eaves behind when he inevitably drives the ball forward. Ginola was the same and look what a special player can do under a special manager, and we have that now. I still have a bit of hope HBA will one day return and be a great.

May 11, 2017 at 10:05 PM

JP…from The Rock

Mate, I couldn’t agree with you more! it takes SOME kind of genius to make a player like HBA look bad. We were privileged to have him for a while and I’m not just saying this cos I’m bias, but he had to be the most gifted player in the PL while we had him. I agree with you but I’d like to say it anyway…yes, we need hard workers to track back. but every once in a while you get a player to whom the rules don’t apply and you should cater to his moods. Cantona, like you said Ginola, Le Tissier and Berbatov. Hatem could have very well become as big a legend as them had he been handled by someone like sir bobby.

You’re right, I was gutted to see him not just leave, but leave with a whimper. I don’t even mind if he came back someday when he’s old, like when Robbie Fowler made his return for one more season.

• LewSpi v2.0

May 11, 2017 at 10:06 PM

Don’t mind when players refuse to sign a new contract as they’re not obliged too, but you’ve gotta question either their mentality or their advisors when they refuse to play, either way it’s unappealing.

May 11, 2017 at 10:07 PM

And then you had that Tw@t Joe Kinnear not even knowing his name. I’d never do that! ha ha

May 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM

LewSpi v2.0

Agreed mate. Don’t care how good he is, cant have someone of that mindset infecting the dressing room.

• jimmysmith

May 11, 2017 at 10:11 PM

Unfortunately for Benny, if he had any desire to return, he is not Lionel Messi and Rafa like pretty much every first class manager requires his players to run about both in and out of possession and to play to instruction. It does still mildly amaze me that fans still idolise such a problematic and flawed player. Still, his highlights reel is quite sublime.

May 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM

if we idolise him, it’s because we love to be entertained.

Agreed, it’s not Rafa’s style to cater to a mecurial talent, but our best years as an entertaining club (not winning) have been when we’ve had those unpredictable talents.

I idolised Beardsley too, so does HBA, and he was also an immense talent who could frustrate him. sorry, but that’s what I love about football.

May 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Gazza was another talent who needed the best managers (Bobby) to get the best out of him. That’s all I’m saying.

• LewSpi v2.0

Ben Gibson – The Guardian
    Davide Santon – Tuttomercatoweb
    Jozo Simunovic – The Daily Mail
    Luca Caldirola – Sky Sports
    Mikael Nade – France Football
    Kieran Tierney – The Daily Star
    Brian Oviedo – Diez (HITC)
    Abdul Baba Rahman – The Mirror
    Eliaquim Mangala – The Daily Mail

Midfield
    Gylfi Sigurdsson – The Sun
    William carvalho – A Bola
    Sam Clucas – The Guardian
    Fabian Delph – The Guardian
    Aaron Ramsey – HITC
    Jean Michael Seri – HITC
    James McCarthy – Telegraph
    Tom Cairney – Telegraph
    Oghenekaro Etebo – OwnGoalNigeria (HITC)
    Yaya Toure – The Sun

Sandro Ramirez – SPORT
    Kasper Dollberg – HITC
    Arne Jakipovic – The Daily Star
    Chris Wood – Yorkshire Evening Post

• jimmysmith

May 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Beardsley, now he really was a complete player. I loved Benny too, when he was buzzing, but I don’t blame Pardew for it not working out for him here, as it hasn’t so often elsewhere too.

• LewSpi v2.0

May 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM

I’m still very, very shocked at how few wingers are on that list. We currently have ONE premier league class winger. Matt Ritchie. I know the lad works hard but he can’t do both wings at once surely?

• NUFCadon

May 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Not sure on Charlie Taylor. You should never refuse to play for your club. Looks like he could have attitude problems

• jimmysmith

May 11, 2017 at 10:23 PM

Gazza had a discipline issue, and wasn’t always as fit as he should’ve been, but he was certainly a committed team player, and had great work rate, to go with all that individual brilliance.

May 11, 2017 at 10:25 PM

jimmysmith

Okay, you make a good point. HBA to an extent, wasted his own talent to be great. I hear you. Not all of the blame can be placed on Pardew, as much as I’d like to do that. He came with us with problems with Blanc (I think it was), and he never lasted more than a season at PSG etc. So I see your point. Still love to have him back.

May 11, 2017 at 10:28 PM

I actually thought Cabella would be our next great talent. ha ha

• jimmysmith

May 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM

Well yeah, I’d have him back too, but it would almost certainly be a mistake. Haha! Still, maybe Rafa could bring out the best in him, and he does seem to have matured….mmmm, still a long bow.

May 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Haha, let me dream. Ah, realistically, we know what Rafa likes and that’s control. If he doesn’t have that over a player, he doesn’t make first choice. One only need look at our middle child, Mitro.

May 11, 2017 at 10:36 PM

What’s your views on Mitro? Personally, I’ve backed him the entire season but I do have a tendancy to be blinded when a player is as passionate for our club as he is.

I would give him another chance but I think that he’d find his chances even harder next season if we get in new players. He has proved that he’s more suited to the PL than the championship but I’m inclined to hold the faith

• jimmysmith

May 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Sorry, nipped out for a bit. I like Mitro a lot, and think the reason he was marginalised a little by Rafa this term is because he was looking for a player with a little more discipline and obedience to lead the line in a season where we very much needed to succeed. He remains a player of real talent and potential though, and I think Rafa likes him, as do the fans and his team mates, so I believe he very likely part of our plans going forward.

• OneAlanShearer

May 11, 2017 at 11:43 PM

If mangala and fernando are real options I’d say both are solid players.
    I think people get on the backs of players very quickly when they come from abroad and as seen with colo need a season to bed in. Rafa has shown he can improve players. Look at clark, shelvey, Lascelles and darlow…plus gouffran too.
    If those 2 players are available for a reasonable price I’d be happy with them.
    Especially city players. They seem to waste a lot of talent and lord knows what pep is thinking with some of his selections and formations.
    The top six hold onto a huge amount of talent without giving them a fair shot.

May 11, 2017 at 11:51 PM

No worries mate. It’s past my bed time so I’m off too.

Yeah, I’d agree. We needed no less than promotion and couldn’t risk him becoming “overly passionate.” I do think that he’s worked hard on that as of late and has even made the difference when we needed someone upfront to hold up the ball or link up play. as much as Gayle’s goals have been invaluable to us this season, when we came up against a tough defensive team who sit back, Gayle finds difficulty in his role.

Strangely, whenever the topic comes up of players we need to get rid of, the first name I always hope not to see is his as I also see great potential.

Anyway mate, goodnight and take care.

• JDdubai

May 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM

OAS

Its not so much the fees for the City players, its the wages they must be on. Do we really want them on 100k contracts for a few years? No way they will take a cut.maybe a loan?

• Bobbybee

May 12, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Jd, was saying earlier we might have to remove the wage cap, or increase it a bit if we want to attract the better players. Not interested in paying stupid wages, but maybe 100k might be plausible. Look what Pogba earns ffs and he’s struggled in the PL considering he was meant to be all that. Wages have got totally out of hand imo, but I can’t say I’d refuse it if I was offered it.