With Rafa getting agreement from owner Mike Ashley that he will give him every penny he can in the summer transfer window and that Rafa can use money from players he can sell this summer Rafa’s summer clear out will likely be bigger than first thought – and that was quite massive.
There are a number of players whose contracts come to an end on June 30th and maybe Rafa will not even take up the option of signing Christian Atsu from Chelsea for a measly £6.5M, but we hope he does.
If we are reading the tea leaves correctly we think Rafa got a lot of money promised from Ashley and that he can now move to release players he doesn’t need and they could even include Vurnon Anita and Yoan Gouffran,although again we hope Rafa gives them new deals and they can be squad players.
Two men who will be very very busy this summer
Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez
So it’s time to update our lists on which players could be sold and if not sold then sent out on loan for next season to at least get their wages off the wage bill.
Here’s a list of players who could be let go this summer – one way or another:
- Florian Thauvin – sell to Marseille for £10M
- Henri Saivet – sell if possible £3M
- Emmanuel Riviere – sell if possible £2M
- Kevin Mbabu – sell if possible £1M
- Haris Vuckic – contact will not be renewed – compensation due
- Sammy Ameobi – contact will not be renewed – compensation due
- Achraf Lazaar – sell if possible £3M
- Jesus Gamez – sell if possible £1M
- Matz Sels – sell if possible £5M
- Massadio Haidara – sell if possible £2M
- Daryl Murphy – sell if possible £2M
- Siem de Jong – sell if possible £5M
- Tim Krul – sell if possible – Rafa likely to bring in new first team goalkeeper £7M (difficult to judge fee given his injury)
- Chancel Mbemba – sell if possible £10M
- Grant Hanley – sell if possible £6M
We have put approximate transfer fees next to those who could be sold and that adds up to £57M but in today’s inflated transfer market it could be a lot more.
And then there are question marks about these three players as we mentioned earlier:
- Vurnon Anita – will he get new contract?
- Yoan Gouffran – – will he get new contract?
- Christian Atsu – will loan deal be made permanent?
Note that when we sell players other clubs usually pay for them over a number of years – usually three – so we will not get that full amount in cash this summer.
But arrangements will have been made that Rafa can use the full £57M – or whatever he can get in the transfer market this summer.
What do you think about this?