Summer Clearout Could Now Be Massive – 15 Players To Leave?

With Rafa getting agreement from owner Mike Ashley that he will give him every penny he can in the summer transfer window and that Rafa can use money from players he can sell this summer Rafa’s summer clear out will likely be bigger than first thought – and that was quite massive.

There are a number of players whose contracts come to an end on June 30th and maybe Rafa will not even take up the option of signing Christian Atsu from Chelsea for a measly £6.5M, but we hope he does.

If we are reading the tea leaves correctly we think Rafa got a lot of money promised from Ashley and that he can now move to release players he doesn’t need and they could even include Vurnon Anita and Yoan Gouffran,although again we hope Rafa gives them new deals and they can be squad players.

Two men who will be very very busy this summer
Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez

So it’s time to update our lists on which players could be sold and if not sold then sent out on loan for next season to at least get their wages off the wage bill.

Here’s a list of players who could be let go this summer – one way or another:

• Florian Thauvin – sell to Marseille for £10M
  • Henri Saivet – sell if possible   £3M
  • Emmanuel Riviere – sell if possible £2M
  • Kevin Mbabu – sell if possible £1M
  • Haris Vuckic – contact will not be renewed – compensation due
  • Sammy Ameobi – contact will not be renewed – compensation due
  • Achraf Lazaar – sell if possible £3M
  • Jesus Gamez – sell if possible £1M
  • Matz Sels – sell if possible £5M
  • Massadio Haidara – sell if possible £2M
  • Daryl Murphy – sell if possible £2M
  • Siem de Jong – sell if possible £5M
  • Tim Krul – sell if possible – Rafa likely to bring in new first team goalkeeper £7M (difficult to judge fee given his injury)
  • Chancel Mbemba – sell if possible £10M
  • Grant Hanley – sell if possible £6M

We have put approximate transfer fees next to those who could be sold and that adds up to £57M but in today’s inflated transfer market it could be a lot more.

And then there are question marks about these three players as we mentioned earlier:

• Vurnon Anita – will he get new contract?
  • Yoan Gouffran – – will he get new contract?
  • Christian Atsu – will loan deal be made permanent?

Note that when we sell players other clubs usually pay for them over a number of years – usually three – so we will not get that full amount in cash this summer.

But arrangements will have been made that Rafa can use the full £57M – or whatever he can get in the transfer market this summer.

What do you think about this?

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM

I reckon that around 95% of the players being mentioned will not be coming to us. Probably closer 99%

There will be quite a few on that list retained I reckon. At least seven!

• estechco

May 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Ed, you need to re-read the statement from nufc.co.uk. It says…

“…every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means”

which, unfortunately, is some way from “every penny he can”

• Belfast

May 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM

For a moment there I thought Kets had the keys to the blog.

• OneAlanShearer

May 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Rafa is a perfectionist. I can’t see him looking at the squad and not wanting to improve everything.
    Being linked to the likes of gabriel Pires to me shows that if that’s real and I suspect it is he’s looking at improving not only the first team but the squad.
    I think we will see a big clear out.
    Lots of incomings.
    I think 7 new first team players and perhaps even the same in the squad could be realistic.
    If he wants a better goal keeper then he is thinking along those lines in my humble opinion.
    He’s out to lift every position. Even those who stay will have competition for their place.
    Which is good as the likes of shelvey need a lot of motivation.
    I can see a fair few unknowns joining along with a decent spine of players being his main aim.
    No way will we go into our first game with out that. He will cover every base, its in his nature.
    The realistic xi I would like to see would be….

• Belfast

May 11, 2017 at 1:34 PM

We might get something for Riveire if we accept pogs and premier league stickers mind.

• lesh

May 11, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Benafri

The TalkSport interview with Rafa’s seems not to be on its website yet.
    But, here’s a link to it and today’s interview may well appear tomorrow.

• OneAlanShearer

May 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM

This is the sort of first xi id like to see us kick off with:

Butland
    Bertrand Mangala Maguire lichtsteiner
    Shelvey Markovic
    Sigurdsson Cairney Ritchie
    Modeste/Dzeko

A lot of experience and quality.

• barkel

May 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM

OAS

I think we will recruit but nine new players in the starting XI seems a bit over the top. The type of player you have down are probably what we will be looking at just not as many of them.

Personally I don’t think we’ll get that many new players in. LW & no.10 are priorities and then it’s just a pick’n’mix of what other positions we strengthen

• NUFCadon

May 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM

A lot of wishful thinking in there I think OAS. Maybe a couple of them could be in the team but think there will be a few unknown Spaniards coming in

• WWSBRD

May 11, 2017 at 1:44 PM

OAS
    Hell of a kick in the teeth for the team who have been fantastic this season that

A fair few names who wouldn’t look twice at us aswell

• Jib

May 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Improvement can be seen in Tim Krul’s performances
    I think Rafa may sanction his return and loan Matz Sels to AZ in his place.

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Belfast

Don’t forget Tazos aswell

• hibbit

May 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM

OneAlanShearer
    no chance 9 new players in our starting X1 is ridiculous
    all good players no doubt but 9 in one go is just silly

• ShirebrookToon

May 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM

You know Rafa is gonna left flank everyone with his signings. All these names doing the rounds are just a smoke screen

• Mister Tuff

May 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Refa has to some extent a “blank canvass” for next season (within limits of finance of course).
    So can he visualise what he needs/ the requisites for each player he is going to bring in -and how they can team up with those who will not be given the boot.
    Exciting to see what he is going to do.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM

I doubt Rafa will be getting rid of that many players on Eds list although most of them would go.

I think Dejong Krul Mbemba and Mbabu may well return and possibly be retained.

• clinath@ed

May 11, 2017 at 1:55 PM

OAS…..also a bunch of strangers t each other. We would be relegated before they clicked.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Ok……here us my starting 11 and subs next season

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Shawcross Tierney

Shelvey Hayden

Gray Fabregas Ramirez

Javier Hernandez

Subs: Elliott Clark MBemba Perez Ritchie Gayle Dummett

• chrisbrown23

May 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Mangala would be worth buying since he would only cost around £15m? Shawcross would likely cost more than that.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Morning TUFF

You will be creaming yourself in your neck of the woods after the latest news then………lol

PS…..Does anyone else think Catchy and JFA will announce their engagement on the blog soon??????

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Cheisbrown

Shawcross, because of age and contract length would probably cost between 8 and 10 million quid

• chrisbrown23

May 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Expat I dunno if 8-10 would get him tbh. Prices are silly now. That full back from Sunderland went for £12-14 in January and he wasn’t a very good player.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Chris

Van aanholt was a lot younger and still had a few years left on his contract.

• Budge123

May 11, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Just seen on website that season ticket prices frozen (for existing ) for 17/18 season. 🙂

• NUFCadon

May 11, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Expatmag,

I am with you with Tierney. He looks like a great prospect for the future. Think he could be quite expensive though and he just signed a 5 year contract last year

• Bobbybee

May 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Nice to see Jail’s obsession is still intact. 🙂 What is it sweetie, gutted because once again I was right and you were nowhere? Stop making snide remarks and I might leave you alone.
    So, all’s well that ends well. What on earth are some people going to whine but now lmao? I hear prune juice can help. 🙂
    Still think we should keep our feet firmly on the ground. For a start, we don’t know exactly how much ‘every penny’ amounts to. Let’s not get carried away because it only ever ends one way. If every penny isn’t as much as some people hope for, we’ll be back to the usual meltdowns.
    Is top eight realistic? Is it even heard of in the recent past? I know what we did when we came up under KK, but times have changed. Regardless of how much we get, that will be matched by other clubs who already have a team full of PL players. I’m not trying to pee on anybody’s strawberries – I’m the original blind optimist after all – but getting too far ahead of ourselves means there’s only one place to go.
    We’re all entitled to get excited – although I did notice the same old’s trying to look for reasons it might not be true lol – but we need to temper that excitement with a touch of realism. The PL is not a little bit ahead of the Championship, it’s miles ahead. Next season will be hard. But at least we’ll compete now and that has to mean happy days.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM

NUFCAD9N

Probably would cost around 12 to 15 million

• catchy in norway

May 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM

expat

i know this is going to sound so wrong , but i think i’d rather do jail 😉

• JamesToon

May 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM

DONT SELL MBEMBA, CHANCEL MBEMBA, I JUST DONT THINK YOU UNDERSTAND, COS IF YOU SELL MBEMBA,CHANCEL MBEMBA, YOUR GONNA HAVE A RIOT ON YOUR HANDS

• AncientC

May 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM

I don’t see why wholesale changes in the summer would be a problem. Like 9 new first team players is going to get the club relegated?

How would you explain Benitez having a clear out last summer and bringing in essentially a new team – going on to win the Championship?

It didn’t take the side long to click, if anything the side became weaker as the season went on.

• Bobbybee

May 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Budge, turns out we’ll be paying less this season than we did eight years ago mate. Can’t knock Ashley for that either. He’s kept the prices low for the core support, many of whom would struggle if, as someone suggested, he double season ticket prices to increase the income.

• TikiTakaAcca

May 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM

OneAlanShearer

Could you have picked a more unrealistic/bad team?

Siggy/Cairney/Ritchie/Modeste/Dzeko

Where is the pace…?

• cyprus

May 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Nine first team players?

Doubt that. 3-4 and 3 talented ones, in hope of one coming through. So, maybe three of them will nail a first team place.

One deadly expensive to appease the crowd.

5-6 out.

My hope, one super exciting player to come in. The new hero.

• TikiTakaAcca

May 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM

De Jong should stay and be the first name on the sheet.

Mbemba should also stay.

Let’s be realistic here.

One player we should be going all out for is Deulofeu.

Koeman is a retard and doesn’t rate him.

He’s classy.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Morning BOBBY

Not wanting to stir it up but I feel it is necessary to point out the bleeding obvious that a couple of days ago, you were prattling on and boring all and sundry about bloggers attacking you before chucking a tsntrum and promising not to come back on here until the end of summer.

Anyway, within a couple of days, here you are back, inmediatwly posting an attack on a fellow blogger.

And you tell others to get a life…….Fxuks sake

• catchy in norway

May 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM

my take on the prem,

top 4 are chelsea spurs city Liverpool

next group
    Arsenal Man U Everton

then from 8 down, it’s all open , the teams are the same imo this is where a good coach earns his money , and we have a good coach.

• Wayayman

May 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM

I think Hayden will start more games than not next season. The lad is pure class and has really grown into that role -he’s the sort we could build a team around. I’d rather have him in the side than Shelvey to be honest. Jonjo is far less consistent but granted when he’s hot he’s red hot.

• OneAlanShearer

May 11, 2017 at 2:32 PM

1. I fully expect rotation so it doesn’t mean this seasons better players are written off.
    2. I was looking at players that I think are both quality and obtainable.
    3. I get the point on pace and agree I’ve not picked it. I should have.
    4. Let’s have your ideas.
    5. I do think rafa will be ruthless in trying to improve us. Maybe 7 but yes 9 unlikely.

• expatmag

May 11, 2017 at 2:32 PM

CATCHY

I sm not sure he would be receptive to the idea…..lol

• Bobbybee

May 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM

What will happen to the wages ceiling I wonder? He might have to put it up a bit I reckon so remember that money will also have to cover wages. I think people are getting carried away just a tad. We certainly won’t be paying wages of 150k a week any time soon. That’s all things Rafa has to factor in. I think we can expect more potential than established stars.