Newcastle In Double Transfer Swoop For Two Defenders

The Scottish Sun is reporting that Newcastle want to sign two Celtic players this summer.

One player we are linked with is a young defender we have  been keen on for a while – 22 year-old Croatian center-back Jozo Simunovic – who would be one of the two center-backs Rafa wants to bring in this summer.

Jozo is highly rated and has played for all the Croatian youth sides with 9 appearances for the U21s.

22 year-old Croatian center-back Jozo Simunovic

He has had a very good season in this his second term at Celtic Park and he seems to be in big demand too.

Jozo is just the type of young player Rafa can take and develop into a top class center-back for Newcastle in the coming seasons.

The Scottish Sun is also reporting we are lining up a move for his 28 year-old Nigerian Celtic team-mate Efe Ambrose, who plays at left-back.

It seems that Ambrose, who stands 6ft 3 ins tall, is available this summer and he spent the second half of the season at Hibernian on loan.

Ambrose however is very experienced and has played  51 times for Nigeria and joined Celtic back in 2012 from Ashdod in the Israeli Premier League

But it now looks like there is no future for him under Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and Newcastle may be able to do a double deal with Celtic for the two defenders.

28 year-old Efe Ambrose of Celtic

Ambrose has played 166 times for Celtic with 6 goals over the last five seasons.

Newcastle need to bring in back four players in the summer and maybe a new goalkeeper too and these two would  help strengthen the Newcastle defense.

What do you think?

• jayphoto

May 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Simunovic is quality! Never seen the other guy! Wonder if we’ll be back in for Ante Coric and benkovic again? Anything seems possible under rafa

• posada

May 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM

I hope Rafa tries to do it by bringing in the very best players in the age group 20-23yrs.
    Some experience yes, but you should get the older players for their wages and not too big a fee.
    The big boys can’t sign all the good young talent.
    Although Chelsea certainly try. They have young players stacked up all over the place on loan. It’s an abuse of the system for me.
    The actual players. I will leave that to Rafa. I’m not wanting to spend the summer reading all the fake news stuff.

• JP...from The Rock

May 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I would like us to sign Jozo Simunovic but for LB i prefer we go for Jetro Willems or someone similar.

Apparently we’re going to make Atsu deal permanent for £6.2m. I am okay with that I guess. But we still need two more wingers of better quality to have sufficient cover down the flanks.

• MagPieMan

May 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM

Hahaha efe ambrose!!? I would in all honesty lose faith in Rafa if he signed him. I’ve lived in Scotland all my life and currently live in Glasgow, and having been to and watched many Celtic matches and spoken to my friends who support Celtic, he is their worst centre back. They have wanted rid for years! Complete waist of money, grant Hanley is already better. Curtis good is probably better. Mitro in defence would probably be better 😉

I do like simunovic though. Good on the ball, bit of pace about him and reads the game well. But He’d command at least an £8 mill fee I reckon. A bit too much with the likes of Clarke, mbemba and lascelles already here. My pals who are big Celtic fans don’t think he’ll leave though.

As for tierney; one of the best artacking full backs I’ve ever seen for his age. So composed, clever and confident. But I am not convinced at all about his defending, and I think that’s the general consensus amoignst fans. I’d rather Robertson or Gibbs. My pals are adamant he won’t leave this season too.

• MagPieMan

May 15, 2017 at 3:22 PM

And ambrose is a centre back, not a left back. So shows how much validity this link has.

• MagPieMan

May 15, 2017 at 3:22 PM

• Krul To Be Kind

May 15, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Ambrose is a beast… A donkey to be precise!!!