Newcastle Lodge Bid For Brand New Midfield Target

Newcastle have reportedly made a sizable offer for 26 year-old Huddersfield on-loan Australian central midfielder Aaron Mooy, who was signed by Manchester City on a three year deal from Melbourne City only last summer.

The report is in the World Game and Manchester City want £10M for their midfielder who has 22 caps and 5 goals for Australia.

Crystal Palace have also submitted a bid for the player who has been in great form for Huddersfield this season.

Aaron Mooy – 26 year-old Manchester City midfielder

According to an exclusive report in The World Game, Newcastle and Crystal Palace have both submitted good offers for the player, although it’s not known if they have met the asking price of City.

Mooy has been out on loan at Huddersfield Town all season, and in 49 games he has scored 4 goals and has 10 assists for the Terriers.

Another of Newcastle’s central midfield targets is Tom Cairney of Fulham who we reported on earlier today, but Fulham want £20M for him so maybe Newcastle see a better deal by signing Mooy?

Aston Villa are also interested in signing the player, but they have run foul of the Financial Fair Play rules and their transfers will be restricted to zero net outlay this summer.

If Newcastle have bid the full £10M or their offer is accepted they will be allowed to talk terms with the player.

Aaron was born in Sydney and started his career with Bolton Wanderers back in 2006 and then joined St Mirren in Scotland in 2010 and played a total of 30 games for them with 2 goals.

He returned to Australia to play for  Western Sydney Wanderers in 2012 before joining Melbourne in 2014.

He has played 191 first team goals with 35 goals so far in his career.

However, his wages at Manchester City are said to be on around £2.5M/year.

Mooy was Huddersfield’s Player of the Season and it could well depend on whether the Terriers are promoted to the Premier League this season.

They play the second leg at Sheffield Wednesday tonight with the first leg ending in a 0-0 draw.

Manchester City paid only a few thousands pounds for the player from their feeder club, do they are likely to make a massive profit on the player over a short 12 months.

What do you think?

19 responses so far ↓

• 1
    ShirebrookToon
    May 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Pushing them out today Ed!

Who would people rather have?

Mooy or Cairney?

• 2
    hibbit
    May 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM

why not both ?????

• 3
    jimmysmith
    May 17, 2017 at 8:52 AM

I’d also have both Mooy and Cairney, but not behind Gayle. I’d have them behind a proven top goalscorer with pace and movement who can also be a target and hold the ball up and also equally with the addition of a similarly top left winger. I’d cash in on Gayle and keep Mitro as his understudy off the bench and Murphy as a squad player for the final year of his contract.

• 4
    Moonraker15
    May 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Cairney! He’s destined for greatness! Get him in!

• 5
    ShirebrookToon
    May 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Both would be nice but can you see that happening???

• 6
    Magtoonpie
    May 17, 2017 at 8:54 AM

are these two much better than than ritchie? I think Atsu looked like he picked up a few tricks from ritchie last few games. cant we buy them all?

• 7
    hibbit
    May 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM

both 26 total different type of players would fit with the way Rafa likes to play
    in our price range
    i would have them the both !!!

• 8
    JP...from The Rock
    May 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM

For around £30m we could get both and have cover or possible first teamers for the CM position which badly needs reinforcing this summer. I would be happy to see us do this. I would then ship out Colback as I don’t think he’s good enough. That still leaves us enough kitty to improve other areas.

• 9
    ShirebrookToon
    May 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Personally I’d have both. Just nice to get other people’s thoughts on this!

• Levi
    May 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM

here is my worry, there has been talk about rafa
    getting upwards of 70m to spend. i would like to see a handful
    of high quality players brang in not alot of 5m players.
    im not saying that the price is a reflection of the player
    however we do need a top quality striker

• jimmysmith
    May 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM

I think Mooy would start alongside Shelvey, but Cairney would compete with Perez to start at 10, but for sure they would strengthen us. I would keep Colback, who puts out fires and gives and goes all day, and move on Diame.

• ToonRich
    May 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM

On Wes Morgan: This was reported on nbcsports (US) yesterday…I did warn you all ?!!
    Think we should aim for better, and his teammates Musa and Gray would be a nice start!

Cairney didnt do much over the 2-legs of the playoff IMO. Well he didnt stand out for me, but would happily welcome him.

De Rossi is out of contract, would anyone take him for a seaon or 2??

• carl
    May 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Jimmy
    I would go the extra mile to get Cairney. He is an adaptable all round midfielder player who can play in a variety of systems depending on what tactics Rafa employs.
    Huddersfield fans said at the time that Colback did a job on Mooy.
    I thought Jack had him in his pocket. That said Mooy would be someone to play in place of Jonjo, who we were do dependent on last seSon.

• ShirebrookToon
    May 17, 2017 at 9:26 AM

I’m working in Leicester today. Anybody want me to pick awes Morgan up!?

• OneAlanShearer
    May 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Colback issue is his lack of pace. He then gives away free kicks as a result. He has battling qualities but what use is that if you foul them to stop them. Sorry but we need better.

• jimmysmith
    May 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I think Mooy can play like Hayden does alongside Shelvey, with similar movement box to box, or holding if he has to, but he could also play in place of Shelvey when required, alongside Hayden or Colback. I like both Hayden and Colback and would certainly keep them, but Mooy has looked a complete midfielder on the half dozen times I’ve seen him, immediately and obviously so. Cairney I see as a good quality addition to the group at number ten, but if he can play in other positions too all the better.

• Slank
    May 17, 2017 at 9:40 AM

On the Huddersfield games against us the only player who really stood out for me was Mooy and I remember thinking at the time that he would fit well into our side.

I doubt he will get a game for Man City in the same way that Atsu would never have got a game for Chelsea.

This begs the question that perhaps instead of buying players who are currently playing regularly for top sides our club should be looking at those players who have been signed by the top clubs but cannot get games for them. If top sides sign these players it’s because they see something special in them but due to circumstances they are unable to play them regularly, or not at all.

• AncientC
    May 17, 2017 at 9:46 AM

On Mooy ‘However, his wages at Manchester City are said to be on around £2.5M/year.’

That is 48k a week. Aye reet. Don’t think so.

• posada
    May 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Cairney. Can’t say I’d be overjoyed with this player.
    Played well against us and scored good goal.
    In the Prem would he be great for 20M. Not sure about that.

Morgan. Looks overweight. Why do his present club want to move him on. I’m always suspicious of that sort of thing.
    Seems a lot of rumours have started these last few days. Probably because clubs have told certain players and their agents they would be ok about them leaving.
    But, why. Jay Rodriguez, he’s had a really bad injury.
    In January Callum Wilson was said to be available after a bad injury. I bet he was just before another bad injury.

If a transfer is easy to do I’d always be suspicious.
    When you think of the process you have to go through to sign a player, when the selling club is reluctant, that should tell you everything.

• You must log in to post a comment.