Newcastle Fans Discuss New Newcastle Transfer Target

We knew Aaron Mooy was a good player for Huddersfield last season and that he could control the central midfield for the Terriers, so it was interesting when there was news from Australia this morning that both Newcastle and Crystal Palace had put in a bid for him.

We reported on the situation earlier today with Manchester City supposedly wanting £10M for somebody they paid only a few hundred thousand for last summer.

Other reports say he could be bought for £5M and that would be an excellent deal for Newcastle if we can get  the 22 times Australian International for that fairly low.

Aaron Mooy – 26 year-old Huddersfield central midfielder

It’s up to Rafa Benitez to decide who he brings into the club and when it’s a Championship player we have to trust that Rafa knows a good player when he sees one and thta he can make the step up to the Premier League.

Here’s some of the comments on Twitter about the 26 year-old Australian International today from Geordie fans as the news broke that we had made a bid for him.

• G

May 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM

I thought during the season Pep G had said the Mooy will be in Citeh’s first team squad next season? I might have imagined that tho!

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

May 17, 2017 at 2:10 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley
    May 17, 2017
    Sooooo…

______________New GK
    ____New CB__Lascelles__Dummett
    Yedlin___New CM_Shelvey_____New WB
    ______________New AM
    ___________Gayle_New ST

So 6 signings to come into the first team I think. Obviously presuming we play this formation. (doubtful but what I would like to see).

New GK – Don’t know why we haven’t gone for Begovic if we’re serious about a new goalkeeper.
    New CB – Hopefully Maguire, already played in a back three and is comfortable on the ball.
    New WB – I really like Charlie Taylor so I would love to see that, on a more unrealistic note, Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham. And if we felt like getting cover for the other side to compete with Yedlin, then I’d also go for Tommy Smith from Huddersfield. 10 assists from RB last season.
    New CM – If it is to be Mooy then he should be cover for Shelvey and to compete, I’d rather start with Hayden and then one of those two. But again, Mbemba could be used as competition for Hayden if Colback is shipped out.
    New AM – Hopefully Cairney, really enjoyed watching him this season at times, I think he’s what we’ve needed in the attacking midfield role. Great passing and creativity; we should give Fulham Diame in exchange.
    New ST – A few candidates for this role but I personally think Iheanacho from Man City would be a good bet. Get him on loan with an option to buy. Has a great record at City, worth a gamble.

• Jib

May 17, 2017 at 2:11 PM

You can be sure Rafa’s sights are set a lot higher than the vast majority of the Championship standard names mentioned over the last couple of days.

• carl

May 17, 2017 at 2:18 PM

YMFB
    What about our best defender last season ? Is there no place for him?
    He’s experienced in the PL and we missed him massively when he was injured. Toon fans voted him our best defender in the poll.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

May 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM

My hopeful team would look like this…

3-5-2

Ciaran Clark.

• carl

May 17, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Ciaran Clark.

• carl

May 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM

I share your view on Darlow.

• carl

May 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM

I share your view on Darlow.

• Oldgit1

May 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Agree Jib, it’s always a risk bringing in a championship player as its a huge gap. Would prefer someone who has set the Premiership alight. Always wondered why Will Hughes is still in the championship and why no one has taken a chance with him. Perhaps there is more to this than we know, a special ingredient that is missing perhaps.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

May 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM

I like Clark aswell Carl, but I prefer Lascelles. Granted Clark has been the better performer over the course of the season in ‘our’ eyes. According to other footballers Lascelles was better, and I’m going to view there’s opinions in a better light. We can’t forget Lascelles was playing through a bad injury for 4 months for the cause of our team, I never even noticed. Lascelles also has premier league experience and was our best performer during our late surge in the premier league the season before last. Clark in my eyes would be competition with Dummett in a back three on the left hand side; Although Rafa is probably going to stick with his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation. In which case I believe Clark will be third choice centre back next season. Granted Maguire or Wes Morgan sign. Lascelles is captain, and in my opinion he is going to stay it through next season, he’s earned it.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

May 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM

There opinions *** ugh I’m tired ok… 🙂

• G

May 17, 2017 at 2:40 PM

@Oldgit, Will Hughes was supposedly going to move to Liverpool prior to his significant injury. Even though he has returned he still seems to flinch the challenges (hardly surprising given his recovery time), and I think that is why nobody has taken a chance on him yet. He does look an excellent prospect though.

• nufc 11