Key Player Could Miss Newcastle’s PreSeason

Newcastle right-back DeAndre Yedlin says he thinks he has developed a lot at Newcastle in the first year and we agree, DeAndre looks better at defending than he was when he first arrived and he is huge threat down that right wing when he attacks.

Rafa is likely to bring in at least one new full-back this summer to increase the competition in both full-back positions, so DeAndre will need to be at his best to keep his position in the Newcastle team.

And the Newcastle starting eleven could change dramatically this summer as Rafa prepares his side for the Premier League.

Rafa Benitez with DeAndre Yedlin last season

DeAndre joined us from Tottenham last summer for around £5M and played last season on loan at Sunderland so he has already experience of playing in the Premier League.

This is what DeAndre has said in the local papers today:

“I think I’ve developed a lot,” “I think he’s the kind of coach that gets the best out of every player.”

“He’s definitely getting the best out of me and there’s definitely more to come.

“I’m nowhere near where I want to be and I’m nowhere near the finished product. I’m improving, and that’s all you can do. I’m improving every day.”

“Newcastle’s one of the clubs, especially in the States, that you knew about growing up, because it’s such a big club.”

“It’s a great honor to be able to play for this club, especially going into the Premier League.”

“I’m looking forward to that. I know my family will enjoy it, because they’ll be able to watch games on TV.”

For people living in the US, as DeAndre points out, it’s great we are back in the Premier League where we can see every single game live on NBC Sports and they will actually talk about Newcastle again.

They only cover the Premier League so we didn’t get a mention last season at all.

🙂

Yedlin is likely to play for the US in the Gold Cup in July and if that happens he will miss most of our pre-season games, but we suppose there’s not much Rafa can do about that.

DeAndre has been a  good signing for us and as he says he still can improve a lot at Newcastle under Rafa’s guidance.

Note: You will see we have our first new design of the blog in 10 years thanks to Polish reader Kacper Tylenda, who has built the new site from scratch in his own time and without any charge.

It will take a little time to fix some stuff, but it’s a more modern look and should be faster with the mobile site like the desktop site but basically without the right hand sidebar.

Many thanks go to Kacper, who has worked his socks off over the last month or two – we really appreciate his hard work and dedication to this – it’s much appreciated.

🙂

• martoon

May 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM

I think I like the new look although the comments box is a bit small on the desktop version. For interest does Kacper post on the blog?

• toontaff2

May 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM

A poll on the Pole’s design?

• Thump

May 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM

Christ, I wasn’t expecting this when I refreshed the page.

• Magtoonpie

May 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM

Clean design, good choices. Getting used used to the comment section being top to bottom.

• firebug666

May 19, 2017 at 7:39 AM

Wow, New blog design!

I like it.

Now back to the serious business of being linked with every player on the planet.

• firebug666

May 19, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Newcastle United are understood to have offered a new deal to promising U-23 striker Tom Heardman according to the Chronicle.

The 6ft 4? striker, once dubbed the new Andy Carroll, has enjoyed an impressive season for Beardsley’s U-23’s, scoring 7 times in 14 appearances this season.

The 21-year-old impressed me in the second strings play off final defeat to West Ham on Tuesday night and looks set to extend his professional deal with the Magpies.

Heardman looks a real physical threat and I for one am happy to see him stay with the club. He bullied West Ham’s centre-backs when I watched him in the week, showing his ability to hold up the play and cause havoc in the air. It’s a bit of a cliche for anyone tall, physical and willing to put their body on the line, but he really did remind me of a young Andy Carroll.

It’s good to see the club keep faith in one of their own, with the academy product set for another year on Tyneside to continue his development.

• sing in the corner

May 19, 2017 at 7:49 AM

You had me going for a minute there Ed!
    Thought Yedlin was crocked when I read that headline! 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

May 19, 2017 at 7:49 AM

Nice to see us putting some time and effort into the youth teams and players!

• clinath@ed

May 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM

Wooaaaa, like opening a new christmas present this morning Ed. Too early to judge, but it’s certainly different.

• SPRINGY

May 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM

How long did i sleep….whats happened to the blog! Lol