Poll – Which Two Center-Backs Do You Want This Summer?

Newcastle  have been linked with a number of center-backs this summer already and we’d like to get a sampling of which center-backs our readers like.

We’ve identified seven center-backs we have been linked with so far and each reader will be allowed to have two votes since we are assuming Rafa will bring in two new center-backs this summer.

Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez – have a lot of work to do this summer

The center-backs are as listed below with their ages and teams they currently play for:

• Michael Keane – 24 – Burnley
  • Phil Jones – 25 – Manchester United
  • Ryan Shawcross – 29 – Stoke City
  • Harry Maguire -24 – Hull City
  • Wes Morgan – 33 – Leicester City
  • Jozo Simunovic – 22 – Celtic
  • Luca Cardirola – 26 – Werder Bremen

OK here we go – let us know.

Which Two Center-Backs Should Newcastle Sign This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Kacper Tylenda, a Polish reader who’s mad keen on Newcastle and created the new web-site introduced today,  will be placing a next/previous article link after each article as we had before – it’s coming – don’t worry.

Relax and smell the roses.

🙂

122 responses so far ↓

• 1
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Still got the Bus service running ED. 🙂

• 2
    ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Who voted Wes Morgan? Come on, own up!

• 3
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Bobby

Copy and paste is working OK. 🙂

Be interesting to see who Rafa takes to Ireland. He might have another look at the likes of Vuckic, Aarons, Sammy before shuufling them off elsewhere.

• 4
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:17 PM

Shire

Not me, I went for Keane and Jozo.

Two people have opted for Morgan, I’d rather see Good given a chance.

• 5
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM

Before the play offs started I had a feeling that Reading might just be the team to get the 3rd promotion spot.

If Hudders squeeze in then Mooy may well stay with them.

• 6
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:21 PM

Just realised the text box has grown. Ed obviously wants the Ramblers. 🙂

• 7
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:22 PM

How many comments can I make before anyone else jumps in?

• 8
    Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Ole!

• 9
    WWSBRD
    May 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM

Ok can’t comment it seems

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM

Ole again!

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM

D*mn! 🙂

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Now all the faults people found have been dealt with, The blog looks fantastic. 😀

• Polarboy
    May 19, 2017 at 8:30 PM

Out of the two we need an organiser with some premier league experience, so out of that list it’s between Shawcross and Morgan. Shawcross easily wins it on age alone, but unfortunately it will likely be Morgan who’s available.

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM

So I wonder if the blog is welshiewum9 & 3/4 proof.

• Ron Knee
    May 19, 2017 at 8:32 PM

Previous/next links restored – excellent. But it’s still slow to download for me.

• magspuggy
    May 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Well done kacper.
    Your hard work is well liked here on tyneside
    Thank you .

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM

Ron

It working great on my desktop, it does slow down occasionally, but most of the time it’s great.

• lochinvar
    May 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM

Uzbek-born Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov has made a £1bn bid to wrest control of Arsenal from majority shareholder Stan Kroenke.

And that’s for London’s third level club !

Ashley needs to send Charnley over to Moscow for a word with Putin to check if he’d like to join the Russian Ravalution

• Ron Knee
    May 19, 2017 at 8:36 PM

firebug

It’s certainly faster than this morning, but still a little slow.

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM

Ron

Maybe it takes a bit of time to bed in, but yes this morning was a bit painful, i though it was my internet connection at first lol.

• jazzyp
    May 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Maguire coming out top over Keane is a bit of a surprise.
    I would take a punt on Terry with Keane and Lascelles to learn the tricks of the trade from the old boy

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM

Few more tweaks and the blog will be sh1t hot. Nice one Ed!

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Spain just equalised (2-2) with the last kick (header) of the game in the under 17 final against England. going to penalties.

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Shirebrook

Your right mate, the best football blog on the internet just got even better.

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM

penalties are ABBA format, never seen or heard of that before.

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Jazzy,

How much is membership for season mate? And when does last for 12 month or just the length of the season?

• May 19, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Great work Kacper Tylenda! What nick do you use when commenting?

Maquire and Mangala for me from the CB:s we have been linked with.

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Firebug

True dat!

May 19, 2017 at 8:51 PM

I am relaxing and sniffing the roses! How did Ed know?

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Spain win the shoot out 4-1. typical Engand pens. Gibson didn’t take one.

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM

G2

Because the new site can now access your camera on your laptop or smartphone, and they ain’t roses your sniffing mate 😀

• Jail for Ashley
    May 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM

Well after a long season and many guesses the Rafa Bingo winners were in a particular order, with me coming first with a staggering 416 points was
    1, Jail for Ashley 416
    2, Firebug666 31pts
    3, dem 23 pts
    4, chicousa, toontaff 22 20 pts
    5, Essex Geordie Bill, Mag 52, one fine day 15pts
    6, Tynemouth, Legolas, chancel, Ron Knee, lochinvar, SPRINGY 10 pts
    7, Budge123, goromagpie, madison toon, WW…, reilly, Jamestoon, MisterTuff, martoon, barkel, bobbybee, jayphoto and Ed 5 pts.
    Thank you to all that took part and I am now officially giving up my bingo pen and resign as reigning champion.
    ?

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Jail,

Your not related to Nico Rosberg are you? Retiring after winning 😀

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM

that’s a comprehensive margin of victory Jail.

May 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM

I was definitely told they were roses Shirebrook mate. I was a little surprised they were brown….

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 9:04 PM

maybe you are Rafa in disguise!

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Sh1t happens G2 mate…

May 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM

What was the maximum number of points available Jail? Let’s see, it was 11 points to get every position correct times 46 matches. That’s 506 points. You did very well. I will now send you a bouquet of my special roses for your tremendous finish.

• JackBall
    May 19, 2017 at 9:13 PM

I’m surprised at how little love Jones gets.

• Jail for Ashley
    May 19, 2017 at 9:13 PM

G2,
    416 was the maximum funnily enough, I predicted every correct score for my bonus 3 and even got Hayden as CB right on the last day of the season.

May 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM

It has been a bit slow for me as well. Especially logging on. Now I’m covering my camera lens after having speakings with Shirebrook…..

May 19, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Well you definitely deserve the roses then Jail.

• May 19, 2017 at 9:20 PM

Wow New Look, Also The Site Is Bit Slow To Response , Hope ED You Keep A Choice For Few Users Like Me To Switch Site To New Layout Or Old

May 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM

No, you have to switch Jamsha mate. Keep your camera lens covered if Shirebrook is online.

• ShirebrookToon
    May 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM

😀

• north east lincs toon
    May 19, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Yes Ed we do need two CB with Hanley going think we only get one in depend what happens with mbemba

May 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM

In all seriosity though, I do like the new format. We’re looking very smartly turned out now. Beermonkey has reminded me we’re at that time of year when we don’t know anything about the future. We may win several cups next season. We may thoroughly fong Arsenal in the league. Let us now raise of flagon of ale to the new season with the best manager we’ve had since Robson.

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM

“In January 2017, Usmanov’s holding company, USM, entered into a five year, $15 million+ deal with Everton F.C. for the naming rights of the club’s training ground, Finch Farm.”

how does that make financial sense?

• May 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM

G2

Here,here!

May 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Sorry for offending you a few weeks back Jail mate. I hope you will accept my apology.

• Our Toon
    May 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Keane isn’t going to happen as he’ll end up at either man Utd or Liverpool, Maguire yes please and I would go with Sakho who had a very good end to the season on loan. Organised that defence really well and was a beast at palace. Liverpool want to cash in on him so he’s a no brainer.

The others on the list aren’t going to rip up any trees including shawcross

• jazzyp
    May 19, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Shirebrook

Depends if your on a long term deal bud and what category you are .
    adult in category 2 seating, you’ll be paying £520 for your season ticket instead of £578 in 2017/18 Combined with the additional four games, this brings the per-game price down from £30 to under £23.
    // Prices in the Family Area are £68 for under-18s and £329 for adults. This means a per-game price of £3 for under-18s and just over £14 for adults.
    Personally mate I’m only a member. Just bare in mind the only games we get up to from our neck of the woods are weekend fixtures. And quite a few games are played in the week now so it makes it less profitable to actually have a season ticket.

• Krul To Be Kind
    May 19, 2017 at 9:42 PM

The new site seems great Ed, even for someone who is as averse to change as me!

I’ve gone with Jones as he is a realistic target and Keane who is not so realistic given the club’s that have credible interest in him but I would have chosen Mangalore for his pace if he had have on there. I don’t fancy Morgan at all, good centre half but he’s on the decline as each season passes a good organiser but I think Clark is just as good at organising, in fact as much as I like Lascelles I’d have Clark as the captain based on his reading of the game and his ability to marshal the back line.

• Krul To Be Kind
    May 19, 2017 at 9:43 PM

Mangalore = Mangala

• May 19, 2017 at 9:43 PM

Jazzy,

Yeah I’m in limbo as to what to do mate. What deal you on?

May 19, 2017 at 9:47 PM

If we actually do need a new number one keeper who might it be? Pickford for 30M? It seems unlikely. Save the 30M for a top striker Rafa. I think we need a better LB as well as a CB. No offense to Dummett but just not good enough in today’s game in the Prem. Solid but not good enough. Keep him on to stand in if injuries occur. A strong AMF is also badly needed. So keeper, striker, AMF, LB, CB. Those would really lift the club a few notches.

May 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Limbo, that’s where you try to slide under a stick isn’t it Shirebrook mate? Why exactly are you trying to slide under a stick? Is it just showing off for the lens on your laptop?

• Krul To Be Kind
    May 19, 2017 at 9:50 PM

GeordieTwo

Throw a CDM and a deep lying playmaker into your recommendations and I’m on board with your requests!

• jazzyp
    May 19, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Shirebrook

I have been in the platinum since 95. Before Milburn paddock.
    Was a season ticket holder for a couple of years but it just becomes impractical unless you can get to most games.
    Way back games use to be just weekend fixtures but more and more games are being shown in the week which makes it impossible for the likes of us who live about 150 odd mile away.
    I always have a Member club card now so you get preferential over the general public

May 19, 2017 at 9:52 PM

Excellent Krul mate. I’ll throw those straight in. I think we’re getting somewhere now.

May 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM

I think we absolutely need Cairney. Do it Rafa.

• magspuggy
    May 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM

@ g2 pickford has stated he wont ever sign for the toon mate so i agree its unlikely.

Tbh i wouldnt have him over woody anyhow.

Dummett for me is going to shock a lot of folk when he becomes our nailed on prem lb.
    He done well last term and will continue to improve.

Is 30 enough to get a top scorer in todays market ?

• May 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM

Jazzy,

Do match tickets go on sale the same day as season ticket holders if your a member?

• May 19, 2017 at 10:04 PM

G2

I don’t think Pickford will come to us no matter what we do as he’s gone on record saying he would never sign for Newcastle. Wasn’t a dig at Jack “don’t foul him” Colback much!

• jazzyp
    May 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM

Shirebrook

No mate season ticket holders get the option to take there seat. The trouble is that I think we have around 38,000 season ticket holders, So that’s why options are always limited.
    In the 90’s it was a B@stard to get a ticket because under keegan and God we looked like we were going places.So with Rafa at the helm hopefully we will again get back to where we belong.

I think its 2 week between season ticket…Then Members, Then a couple of week after that what’s left goes to general sale

• welshgeordie9
    May 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM

I quite like the new look blog.

• jane
    May 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM

Granada lost all 7 of their matches under Tony Adams who was brought into save them from relegation and have finished bottom of the Primera league. worse than John Carver.

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Ahh well apparently not 😀

By Danny Wright

Danny Murphy claims that it would not surprise him if Newcastle fail to finish above Brighton in the Premier League next season.

The Magpies beat Chris Hughton’s side to the Championship title on the final day of the season and are expected to spend a lot of money over the summer.

However that hasn’t stopped Murphy from making a surprising claim while on BBC Sport 5 Live on Friday, which will no doubt irk the Toon Army.

The BBC pundit, who features regularly on Match of the Day, thinks that the expectancy level from the Newcastle supporters could mean that they are forced to attack against teams with a better knowledge of the top-tier and in turn open themselves up to the counter attack.

The St. James’ Park crowd is known for it’s very high expectations and that could be their downfall next season, according to Murphy.

“If you look at their squad, they’ve got some good players and they’re going to get better, but there’s not that much experience there of Premier League football,” said the 40-year-old in a video on BBC 5 Live Sport’s official Twitter page.

“If anything, it wouldn’t surprise me if Brighton finished above Newcastle.

“Newcastle turn up at home in the Premier League next season against anybody, maybe apart from the big three or four, they’re expected to have a go and win and attack.

“You do that at home against good counter attack sides who know what they’re doing and are well coached, you’re going to get picked off”

Owner Mike Ashley has already offered his full financial backing to Rafa Benitez as he aims to steer well away from a third Premier League relegation during his tenure of the North-East club.

The Magpies will be the only representatives of the geographical area in the top-tier next season due to the relegations of Hull, Middlesbrough and bitter rivals Sunderland.

In other Newcastle news, a Sky Sports commentator has predicted how the Magpies will fare in their return to the big time.

• May 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Jazzy,

Cheers mate. No matter what I decide to do, I gotta get a Diesel car!

• welshgeordie9
    May 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Newcastle United are now 9/2 joint favourites to sign Watford striker Troy Deeney with bookmakers Sky Bet.

• May 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Found the site very sluggish this morning (especially trying to get to the comments section) but it’s been fine the last few hours.
    Like how you’ve changed it back to most recent threads at the top of the main page. It was strange having to scroll down to get to the latest article.

Liking it Ed (and helper)

• May 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Firebug

Well that meatball head (Danny Murphy) must have forgot that Rafa Benitez is Manager of Newcastle United. I’m sure he knows what’s required to cut it in the Premier League. Made me laugh that has!

• May 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Welsh

It’s Sky so it’s bollox!!

• jimmysmith
    May 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM

I think Dummett is pretty bright as footballers go, and pretty uncomplicated as a player. He has certainly come along and might just have done enough to start at left back next season. Probably even more so than Yedlin, who will probably start at right back. I don’t think we are too badly served at fullback now when you consider the progress both have made and also with Anita, Haidarra, Gamez, Lazaar and even Hayden as options and so would think an upgrade there might have become the lowest priority. None of them are Philip Lahms that’s for sure, but collectively that’s not such a bad group of fullbacks.

• firebug666
    May 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM

Shirebrook

Ya nah what these so called pundits are like mate, anything to have a pop at Newcastle, makes it all the more satisfying come the end of the season to see them with egg on their faces spluttering various excuses as to what went wrong for the other teams. 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Deeney, I hope not!

Just goes to show that you have to play right up to the final whistle, I reckon that last time wasting substitution did for England.

Gibson looks a canny player, a younger version of Dummett.

• May 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Firebug

Aye, and they get paid a fair whack to spout shite like that which makes it all the more sweeter when they’re WRONG! 😀

• May 19, 2017 at 10:30 PM

EGB is online so that means Ed is gonna put up a new post! 😀

• one fine day
    May 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Jfa for your efforts
    A respectable fifth place.
    Do I get an 8 year contract as long as I promise yo aim for 14 th next season ?
    Maguire and Jozo for me as far as centre backs go .
    Wes Morgan ..oh god no .
    Would like to see Clarke and lascalles given a fair chance too though.
    The former maybe as vice captain and hopefully injury free to continue his learning curve .

• one fine day
    May 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Jfa for your efforts
    A respectable fifth place.
    Do I get an 8 year contract as long as I promise yo aim for 14 th next season ?
    Maguire and Jozo for me as far as centre backs go .
    Wes Morgan ..oh god no .
    Would like to see Clarke and lascalles given a fair chance too though.

May 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Well we’ll see what happens. Some are happy with Dummett, some not so much. He’s solid but unspectacular. He’s never going to unsettle the opposition defense in the Prem. I think we need more from that position. We’re going to have to get an awful lot better than we are now to finish mid table.

May 19, 2017 at 10:37 PM

I don’t want to have to be wearing my Thong of Gloom for more than half of our matches. That’s just too much in this climate.

May 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM

15 wins and 8 or 9 draws. That’s the minimum I’m looking for from the first season back. More than 50 points. Get your check book out Mike.

• jimmysmith
    May 19, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Autonomy to run the show and reinvest the profits as they see fit. That’s Rafa and Charnley’s remit apparently. If so, they and we are on a pretty good wicket all of a sudden. Going cap in hand to Ashley isn’t going to wash under those circumstances, but I’d still expect the owner to do what’s required to make sure we are at the very least competitive first season back. Beyond that I’d imagine it’ll be down to those two running it self sufficiently, and if that is how it pans out the owner will be doing his bit.

• magspuggy
    May 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM

If its control rafa wanted i believe hes got it.
    Penfold to balance to books but with a world class manager to show him how its done without buggering the team to do so.

Still dont think cashly will flood the club with his own dosh but i do believe in spite of that we stand on the verge of the best newcastle we have seen in living memory.

A year to have a pop and stay in the prem and then to have a right go at winning something.

• clinath@ed
    May 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM

Geordie two….agree, 10+ home wins, at least 5 away and a good few draws would make for a decent first season back.

May 19, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Ride hard to the quarter pole, then look around a bit and gauge the competition. Then head down and straight for the half mile. Keep a good rhythm and don’t go to the crop too soon. Watch those sneaky barstewards creeping up on the outside. Finish strong! Fifty three points.

• magspuggy
    May 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM

Or we could go fugly early thrash the life outta her and snatch the 50 by xmas

Save all our tickers a few extra miles

In rafa we trust.

• SPRINGY
    May 19, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Keane will end up at man utd or liverpool,someone like that…maguire looked overweight and slow the other day…cant say I’ve seen him all season so myt be a little harsh on him….i believe they’ll be others not mentioned…so lets wait and see

• jimmysmith
    May 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM

Well he is overweight and so must be slower than he can be. It’s certainly something that Rafa would have to be confident can be addressed should we go after him, because carrying that extra stone he isn’t top notch by any stretch of the imagination, despite being otherwise reportedly very capable.

• SPRINGY
    May 20, 2017 at 12:05 AM

Jimmy
    Like i say that was only one match and he may well of been out injured and that was his 1st game back….but i wasn’t to impressed tbh….he didn’t look betta then we already have…but that was one game….if i could have one cb it would be aymeric laporte from bilbao but that would cost and canny chunk of change

• jimmysmith
    May 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM

Yeah, the first time we were linked with him I took a look at him and immediately thought he was a lump. I’ve been keeping an eye on him since and have come to recognise he does have the goods. Bit like having a washing board stomach, but unfortunately the washing is still on it. haha!

• SPRINGY
    May 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM

Hahaha

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 20, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Shire

The bus is still at the bus stop.

Think he’s waiting for Bobby to arrive. 🙂

Still think that something like 95% of the players mentioned so far won’t be signed by us.

Love to see some big cash splashed on Forsberg.

Wonder if Rafa might try for someone like Ribery or Robben now that would be bold!

• SPRINGY
    May 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM

E.g.b
    Cant say ive seen forsberg,any good?

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 20, 2017 at 1:29 AM

Springy

He’s the Leipzig version of Shelvey, he’d be one hell of a signing, imo. Fantastic number 10.

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 20, 2017 at 1:31 AM

Probably end up at Bayern or RM

• SPRINGY
    May 20, 2017 at 1:50 AM

Egb
    What sort of money has been mentioned for him…..any clue?

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 20, 2017 at 1:54 AM

Springy anything between £30m to £60m I would guess, prices are so fluid at this time but he’d probably be at the top end of the scale.

• Essex Geordie Bill
    May 20, 2017 at 2:01 AM

It’s 2am here so I’d better get some sleep, goodnight all.

• chicousa
    May 20, 2017 at 2:08 AM

Jail,
    My 4th place finish with 20 pts in the Rafa bingo was respectable for a yankee Toon fan! I’ll take it! I’m impressed that you scored 416 points! Simply amazing!!! Any stock market suggestions for us merely human shucks?!!!

• chicousa
    May 20, 2017 at 2:08 AM

Shmucks that is

• chicousa
    May 20, 2017 at 2:17 AM

Does it occur to anyone else that Everton has been reported to be “interested” in virtually every single player in the world??? 🙂

• lesh
    May 20, 2017 at 5:14 AM

Ed

We’ve got an ^ at the page bottom to ‘whoosh’ us up to the top, and it might be helpful were a \/ positioned somewhere near the top(before the first comment?) to ‘whoosh’ those of us who don’t particularly want to have to scroll down to the comments box, quickly down through the hundreds of posts?

• sparky55
    May 20, 2017 at 6:53 AM

Re Murphy’s comments…a bit daft really considering he has no knowledge of who will be in our team next year and the fact our current crop of players have more premiership experience than they do as we stand today.

There’s no doubt premiership sides coming to the toon will try and suck us in but Rafa had us playing exactly that way in most games this year and has the experience to manage the team in such a way we’ll be aware and ready.

So in short Danny…go fcuk yourself…that wa sone of the most stupid and ill thought out comments you’ve ever made

• Jib
    May 20, 2017 at 6:56 AM

A device that takes you past the comments !
    WHAT?
    Surely the main purpose of a blog is to
    provide a forum the thrust of which
    is the comments section !

• Lindisfarne
    May 20, 2017 at 7:02 AM

A speech bubble icon would be ideal for jumping straight to the comments box.

Thanks for sorting the text size.

• Jib
    May 20, 2017 at 7:04 AM

It’s all very well being rude to Murphy.

However I thought he showed quite a good perception of one of the problems at SJP.

Players and Managers over the years – even KK , SBR and Rafa – have commented how difficult
    it can be to manage expectations , and the unnecessary pressure the home crowd can put on the team.

• jimmysmith
    May 20, 2017 at 7:15 AM

I’m probably just having another small and random OCD moment, it happens from time to time and it may pass, but surely it should read Ed Harrison’s Newcastle United Blog, not Ed Harrison’s The Newcastle United Blog. It’s actually nagging away at my sensibilities. So Kasper, splendid job otherwise, but you might consider popping that promptish onto your to do list.

• jimmysmith
    May 20, 2017 at 7:18 AM

“Kacper,” apologies.

• sing in the corner
    May 20, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Jib
    I don’t think you really buy that though,do you?
    I’m sure our well respected (and rightly so)former managers were well aware that like everything in life you have to take the rough with the smooth.
    It’s a media hyped myth, this thing about the crowd…
    Many a player and coach has enjoyed the spectacular up side of the special passion of a 50000+ St James Park. You just have to ride the ups and downs.
    What do they want, respectful silence and polite applause, can’t me what may?

• sing in the corner
    May 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Come what may…

• Jib
    May 20, 2017 at 7:37 AM

“What do they want, respectful silence and polite applause”
    No one is saying that
    But if you are not aware that the crowd on occasion gets on
    the team’s back then you haven’t been to SJP.
    We lost 5 and drew 3 at home against some bang average sides
    and the crowd’s attitude at times was a definite contibutory factor.

• Ron Knee
    May 20, 2017 at 7:37 AM

Site much quicker this morning!

• sing in the corner
    May 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM

Jib
    Bollox @ 113
    I suspect it’s you that haven’t been inside SJP actually. At least this decade.

• Jib
    May 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM

You’re wrong (with regard to SJP attendance)

• lochinvar
    May 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM

From the a Daily rags but if this the case then I doubt well see either at SJP except with away teams at these prices. If forwards are meant to be the most expensive to buy then midfielders are over priced.

Tottenham are considering a £25m bid to re-sign 27-year-old Iceland midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, who joined Swansea from Spurs in 2014. (Daily Mail)

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino believes Sigurdsson is a better and cheaper alternative to Ross Barkley, with Everton demanding £50m for the 23-year-old. (Daily Star)

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund
    May 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Jib,

Got to say agree with you re Murphy comments, it is absolutely classic Newcastle fans to overstretch and assume we are far better than we actually are at times – just go back to summer 2014 and 2016 to see how naive so many of the comments were.

The atmosphere definitely effects the team at times and has done this season when expected to win – I think Rafa can manage it far batter than previous iterations but I am in no doubt that it will happen next season.

That being said I think it’s much more commonplace at every stadium in the Prem these days – every home team crowd expects a result aside from maybe 3 or 4 teams. So not isolated to us, but because we do have one of the biggest crowds, maybe it is accentuated a bit.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund
    May 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM

2015*

• Jib
    May 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM

This image
    Shows that John lennon’s famous picture of the May 1952 cup final between The Gunners and the Toon is
    actually of Chilean Jorge Robledo scoring in our famous victory.

• lochinvar
    May 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM

The discussion about the crowd at SJP is topical.
    Historically football crowds were predominantly male, the facilities non-existent and testosterone was abundant in tribal chanting and vocal support for the team. Even as a kid you were pitched on with “the lads” while their lasses were busy shopping in the toon. ( social fact ) . That’s how it was.

Reality is that times have changed and football and football stadia are designed more akin to multiplex cinemas for a family day out. Level 7 being great for families less so for more potent vocal support.

Crowds are now populated by a larger female presence and vocal opinions are now more muted and considered – well some of the time so volumes reduce.

If standing areas are reintroduced to grounds then you would think this will be where the more vocal support as we have on away games will congregate to express their opinions.

In between if mobile phones were less of a distraction (except for checking Villa games against Brighton) then crowd focus and volumes would be cranked up another notch or two.

Just saying like.

• dig-n-dig22
    May 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM

I think we could do a lot worse than do a raid on the Boro back 4, although Boro couldn’t avoid the drop, their defensive stats in the Prem are quite good and with another 9 or 10 goals could have finished near the top 8 .
    Boro failed to score in 18 Prem games this season, drawn 13, lost by the odd goal in 13, 7 nil nil results. Boro have scored 2 goals in a Prem game only 5 times this season and their one and only 3.0 win was against Swansea.
    I took a good look at the Chelsea Midlesborough game, although they lost 3.0 I thought they defended really well against the Prem champions. and looked well better than anything we have at the back and some of the names we have been linked with.

• You must log in to post a comment.