Star Player – The Difference Is The Passion Of The Newcastle Fans

It’s not hard to realize that 22-year old Isaac Hayden, who had a great first season at Newcastle making 38 appearances in all competitions, just loves everything at Newcastle.

Ever since he met with Rafa Benitez for two hours in a north London restaurant he wanted to join the club and he’s been positive about everything Newcastle ever since then.

This is a young man who could well become a big star at Newcastle as Rafa develops the defensive midfielder into a top player  and builds on his excellent technical ability and temperament.

Isaac Hayden after scoring at Cardiff in second last game of the season

Isaac today in the Chronicle has talked about the difference of pulling on a Newcastle shirt compared to when he played for the Arsenal first team or at Hull City last season on loan.

The difference seems to be the complete passion the Newcastle fans have for their club.

This is what Issac has said in ChronicleLive today when talking initially about the difference between Arsenal and Newcastle fans:

“Arsenal are a massive club, but it doesn’t have the same aura as Newcastle.”

“I pulled on the red-and-white Arsenal shirt — maybe not enough times to fully appreciate it — but it’s almost like a sense of pure passion from the Geordies, compared to the Arsenal fans.”

“Don’t get me wrong, Arsenal fans have had a tough time as well and been great, but I didn’t get the feeling when you walk out at the Emirates as when I walk out at St James’.”

“It’s a different vibe.” “At Newcastle, it’s like I’m representing the guy in the stands.” “When we lose, I know 50,000 people are not going to have a good weekend.”

“They make me feel like I’m representing them directly on the pitch.” “I didn’t get that at Arsenal or Hull.”

Isaac only managed two senior appearances for Arsenal before he moved to Newcastle, but he soon became a Rafa favorite and was first choice alongside Jonjo Shelvey in the middle of the park last season for the Magpies.

This lad has a great future at Newcastle and he’s definitely at the right club at the right time and at the very beginning of the Rafa revolution.

Isaac should be so lucky.

🙂

• magspuggy

May 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Still think this lad will become a good solid prem player
    Statements like that makes me believe he understands our club and what we expect from him

• lesh

May 20, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Well said Isaac and make sure you tell any good player you know that SJP’s the place to come if they want to be loved.

• Blofal

May 20, 2017 at 2:57 PM

And that’s the poisoned chalice that makes it so hard for players to succeed at Newcastle. I honestly believe the pressure the players feel is much more that some of the so called “bigger” clubs.

I’ve seen us lose so many games at St James’ Park from the players responding to the pressure of the crowd to attack and overcommitting. Rafa is great in that he knows that and no doubt we are going to be merely grinding out some results at home next season to the moans of a few people on this blog. But that’s the way it has to be. Even most poor premier league teams are very good at soaking up the pressure and hitting lethally on the counter.

• AncientC

May 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM

I am not expecting much from Hayden at PL level. Midfielders need to have a lot more about them than just work rate. Hayden is very composed, but not particularly exceptional. This is why I believe he could be a much better CB than midfielder, his biggest strengths are mostly defensive in nature.

• corkypants

May 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Give the lad a year or two and he is gonna be a absolute Diamond, I believe he will do a good job next year and just keep getting better!!!!

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 20, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Hayden will become more than solid PL player. If he stays fit all season he’s got a chance of breaking into the England squad for the WC, if not honours won’t be far off. Got everything needed for a combative all-action CM and a good brain too and doesn’t need to make age excuses for him like others. Plays beyond his years.

Naysayers can archive this post to throw in my face should I be wrong, but you won’t get that chance 🙂

• manxpie

May 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM

It’s great to hear a player that actually knows wat it’s about
    Far too many recent players couldn’t give a fusk and I hope we start building teams that are based on this rather than the stepping stone environment we had before,
    U just hope Hayden doesn’t choke in the prem atmosphere!

• Nufc-83

May 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Ancient are you sure you are not mixing up colback and Hayden up? Hayden has so much more than work rate in that he is good in the air and timing of his tackle is outstanding. He is also happy to get forward and can certainly score goals which is great for a defensive midfielder.

• U.S Magpie

May 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Honestly Hayden is not a player that Im worried about for the club in the prem, Newcastle have some players in the team that didn’t do shite for the club when we were in the prem two season ago. Those are the players we need to worry about as they are still at the club. Mitro is one of them, Colback is another, anyone else want to add to the list.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM

@Phil K

It’s a bit unfair labelling foreigners as unreliable and not giving a toss, especially as most our English players over the years haven’t give a toss either. Just think Dyer, Jenas, Bramble, Bowyer, and all the other Brits like Nile Ranger and Leon Best that were more interested in appearing at the diamond strip than at St. James. At least the foreigners tend to be professional in that respect. And we’ve had some foreigners that have given their all: Jonas, Nobby, Mitro, Cabaye, Krul. Fact is virtually all players will leave for a bigger club these days not just foreigners. It sounds like you’ve been reading the Daily Express blaming foreigners for everything. We should just buy the best players, regardless of where they’re from.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Out of those defenders on offer, I would have most reservations about Maguire. He looks a bit fat and will only get fatter and slower as he ages. His lack of pace would not have been exploited at Hull who rarely leave their own half, but in a team hoping to be pushing forward he could get murdered for pace. Same goes for Morgan who rarely leaves his box at Leicester. But then Benitez worked miracles with Carragher and Hypia who were both slow. I think Lascelles, Mbemba and Clark will be good enough anyway.

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM

After watching Millwall / Bradford at Wembley I don’t think I would have survived the
    90 minutes if we had been in the same boat.

• ShirebrookToon

May 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Very quiet today!

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Millwall fans on th pitch at Wembley
    What a bunch of tossers

• giimps

May 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Millwall have always been slightly boisterous

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Glimps
    😀

• Wayayman

May 20, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Ancient C I’m a bit perplexed at your comments on Hayden. He’s been one hell of a player of us this season (his first full season in that position)and we missed him badly when he was out injured.
    His timing in the tackle is superb and he reads the game so well that he doesn’t have to give away needless fouls in dangerous areas. He’s quick, very fit and seems to have just the right sort of attitude to make it to the very top. I think he’ll be one of our best midfielders for years, and we should be looking to build the team around him.

• Zekalea

May 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM

I think im probs the last person to say this but… the blog looks awesome 🙂

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that Jamaal Lascelles, Matt Ritchie and Vurnon Anita all “played through the pain barrier” in the closing stages of NUFC’s Championship campaign

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Newcastle United will be signing Everton and Republic of Ireland midfielder James McCarthy
    for about £20 million.
    “In Rafa we trust”

• U.S Magpie

May 20, 2017 at 7:13 PM

You think Barkley at Everton is worth Rafa taking a look at?

• AncientC

May 20, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Wayayman, no need to be perplexed. Do some research into Hayden’s past at Arsenal as a CB. I am not discounting Hayden as a good player, but at PL level, I am sure we will find he is around average as a DM. Playing at CB though – I believe Hayden has the potential to be the next Rio Ferdinand. (Ketsbaia9 has not hacked my account btw)

A DM needs to be able to thread the ball through the eye of a needle, for me. Hayden’s through-balls are not quite there… he is however great at crossing, but as a DM, the opportunity for crossing the ball isn’t worth playing him in DM for.

Hayden is the club’s most dominant player in the air, he is also one of the best at tracking and timing a tackle. Considering his height and Wenger’s comments… that is CB for me.

• Jib

May 20, 2017 at 7:28 PM

U.S Magpie
    Too much baggage with young Barkley
    He has “issues”
    Everton want too much for him

• AncientC

May 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM

nufc-83 “Ancient are you sure you are not mixing up colback and Hayden up? Hayden has so much more than work rate in that he is good in the air and timing of his tackle is outstanding.” Exactly why Hayden should be a CB. Anyways, I am not going to drone on about it.

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM

Too soon to tell how Hayden will do in the Prem for us. Great attitude though. Reminds me of Lascelles. Two players with good futures. Looking forward to seeing who Rafa brings in and how he builds a good team out of all of them.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 20, 2017 at 7:42 PM

I can see the Hayden/Shelvey partnership as being one that will prosper in the EPL, I’ll even stick my neck out by saying Hayden could be our POS next season.

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM

McCarthy for 20M seems a bit much. How about Riviere and a couple of kippers?

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM

All right then, I might go three kippers.

• SPRINGY

May 20, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Hayden an do a job at cb,as we have seen wenger played him there…but hayden himself im sure has stated he prefers a midfield role….and if he’s good and getting better theres no point forcing the issue trying to get him in at cb….a happy player is a good player….us we need someone in the nidfield who can challenge for a ball in the air and put some decent tackles in.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 20, 2017 at 8:01 PM

If we do end up buying McCarthy for that much I can see the Everton fans laughing at us as much as we did over the Sissoko Spurs con job.

• jazzyp

May 20, 2017 at 8:02 PM

I see Marseille are trying to bring in Kirt Zouma on loan. Would love the lad at our club if Rafa wants loaned players in as well

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM

I would prefer saving that kind of money to put into a bid for a good striker. I thought 30M might get us somebody decent but it’s only a guess. It would have to be somebody fairly young like Mitro (but a lot better I hope).

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM

That Sissoko money will really come in handy Essex mate! I’m still chuckling about that one. Almost as good as the Carroll caper.

• G

May 20, 2017 at 8:09 PM

I like Hayden, he’s a good grafter, and the one thing that stands out in his game is efficiency. He does not waste a single joule of energy in any of his movements. I think the guy could go a very long way if he keeps going the way he is. He isn’t flashy, because he doesn’t need to be. I have seen him caught out of position a couple of times, but not often, and I would say that was due to his relatively young age. If he was over 25 I would put a flea in his ear, but from what I have seen I reckon he will have that box ticked.

• beermonkey

May 20, 2017 at 8:13 PM

jazzy

would rather buy zouma than loan him

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM

Who have we got at the club now that we could sell for 30M? Surely Liverpool and Spurs are keeping a close eye on our players and will jump in quickly to snatch somebody up for that price or more? Rafa will be only too pleased to sort that out for them.

• GeordieTwo

May 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM

If the Sissoko money is coming in 6M pounds at a time over the next couple of seasons is it included in the money Rafa will get for new players?