Newcastle Close To Bidding £15M For 25 Year-Old Striker


We would expect things in the transfer market to start picking up soon with Newcastle trying to agree deals that will become final when the transfer market officially opens on July 1st.

The Chronicle are reporting the club are close to bidding for 25 year-old Burnley striker Andre Gray, as Rafa Benitez is attempting to strengthen most positions in the side this summer and could bring in as many as eight new first team players.

Andre Gray – 25 Year-old Burnley striker

Newcastle are said to be targeting free agents and players who have only one year left on their contracts with the hope that in the latter case, the club can get a good deal with the player only one year away from becoming a free agent.

There is also a report out that Andre has rejected a one year extension in his contract, as he looks to leave the Turf Moor club this summer.

Burnley are said to want a minimum of £15M for their player in today’s (very) inflated transfer market and Newcastle would presumably be willing to pay that for him, but not much more.

Gray had a decent Premier League campaign and he scored 9 goals in 32 games in the league this season, which is not too bad in a team that struggled in the league and finished in 16th place on 40 points, but still 6 points above the drop zone.

When Burnley won the Championship last season with 93 points, Gray scored 23 goals in 41 appearances in the league – which was a great return.

Andre Gray is a good player and he would be a hit with the Newcastle fans, because of his ability and he can be a very exciting player to watch.

And other clubs are always interested in doing business with Newcastle, because we pay our transfer fees in cool cash up front, while most clubs pay them in installments, usually over three years.

The Mirror recently reported that Burnley were very willing to do business with Newcastle for Gray, because of that policy.

The next step seems to be for Newcastle to launch their initial bid and maybe we will see that in the coming week?

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

5 comments so far

  • cestriasteve

    May 22, 2017 at 9:05 AM

    Comment #1

    Ben Gibson, Ince and Gray but Gibson the priority, great CB, down to earth Nunthorpe lad.

    0
  • Phil K

    May 22, 2017 at 10:51 AM

    Comment #2

    British lad which is good, PL experience , good but still not 100% sure.
    We need creative midfield and defenders more

    0
  • NYMAG

    May 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM

    Comment #3

    He improves the squad but not our best 11 which is why I hope the story is not true. There is no way we would pay £15M for a player with one year on his deal who’s probably shopping for a £100k a week contract which someone like West Ham or Palace would happily give him. I’d rather see us being in Negredo for Murph and a marquee striker like Bathuyusuudusususususi or up and coming player like iheanacho

    0
  • Widowmaker

    May 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM

    Comment #4

    9 goals in 32 games with Burnley? Not that bad.

    But we had Mitro scored 9 goals in 34 matches in in his debut PL season. Was he getting much credits? How old was he?

    I am not saying Andre is not good enough, but we must give Mitro the credits he deserves.

    0
  • RolandoOverhead

    May 22, 2017 at 10:47 PM

    Comment #5

    Prefer Bas Dost.
    Should have gotten him last year, but his record of 36 goals in 41 appearances of which 34 came in just 31 league games is phenomenal.
    At 27 his age isn’t against him and I think he’s make the perfect foil for Gayle.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.