Tim Krul Determined To Be Part Of Newcastle’s Future

Tim Krul will return from his loan spell at AZ Alkmaar in the summer for pre-season and he hopes to still have a future at Newcastle United, whom he joined back in 2005 when he was just 17.

Since then Tim has married a Newcastle girl and they have a young daughter and he has said today in the local press that Newcastle has been a massive part of his life for the last 12 years.

Tim Krul – keen to be part of Rafa revolution

And Tim certainly wants to be  part of the Rafa revolution on Tyneside and now that he has fully recovered from the serious ACL injury he picked up in October of 2015 playing for the Netherlands,  he will be all out to regain the number one spot in the Newcastle goal.

This is what Tom has said today as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“It’s been a while – I’m looking forward to going back there after completing my loan at AZ.”

“I’ve been at Newcastle for 11 seasons. It’s part of my life – a massive part of my life. “My wife is from Newcastle. My little girl was born in Newcastle.”

“I’ve got more links to Newcastle than just football.” “That’s something to be massively proud of.”

“We’ve got a world-class manager, and Newcastle has massive potential,”

“It’s not going to be easy, because the Premier League is a different story, but there’s a positive vibe with the fans fully behind the club again.”

“With the right additions, they could be a force, because the team spirit they have now is like what we had when we got promoted.”

“That kick-starts you in the Premier League.”

The 28-year-old still has a couple of games to play for Alkmaar when they meet FC Utrecht in a two-legged play-off final to qualify for next season’s Europa League.

The first leg is tonight at the AFAS Stadium with Alkmaar playing at home.

Tim Krul was given a year’s extension to his contract last summer by Rafa and now has one year left on his contract.

This pre-season is crucial for Tim if he wants to stay at Newcastle, with both Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot challenging strongly for the number one goalkeeper jersey at Newcastle.

And Rafa may also bring in another goalkeeper this summer.

Here’s a poll we brought out in mid-March asking readers who would be Newcastle’s goalkeeper next season.

At the time Karl Darlow was the regular goalkeeper in the side and had a very good season for us.

Who Will Be Newcastle's Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• lochinvar

May 25, 2017 at 8:23 AM

I’ve met Tim and what he says is true. He has real passion for Newcastle and shows that in matches.
    He had a couple of bad injuries and they haven’t helped but with a season over in Holland and strength and fitness training he’ll be well placed to be back as an experienced member of the squad. He’s also got Premiership experience and his personality and influence in the changing room and i. training shouldn’t be underestimated.
    I trust Rafa will see it that way.

• giimps

May 25, 2017 at 8:34 AM

I agree Lochinvar, he’s proved on many occasions he’s an exceptional keeper and injuries aside has been an ever present ,saving Newcastle time and time again, I think his record was saving 14 shots in one game vs spurs to see us win the game 1:0.
    I would give him and Siem a full pre season and who knows, with Rafa’s managerial experience Krul may improve his distribution and if we can keep siem fit he could do the 10 role we bought him for, or at least be cover for whoever we bring in.
    fit,

• hibbit

May 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM

with these two players its more to do with the the fitness coaches and the medical staff than Rafa keep them fit and they’re both big players

• cwood30

May 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM

These 2 players may well fit in with rafas rotation system, siem more than tim

• G

May 25, 2017 at 9:02 AM

I would prefer to see Darlow in the nets than Krul, however, that is only because I think shot stopping wise there is very little in it, but in terms of controlling the area and distribution Darlow wins hands down. Competition for the number 1 jersey can only be a good thing though. The only keeper I expect to leave this year is Selz, unless, as Ed says Rafa brings in another keeper.

• cyprus

May 25, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Martoon,
    Yes I too will sacrifice performance for results next year 🙂 May fall asleep watching but there’s always a price.

On Krul, what happened? The injuries? Self-confidence? Give him a chance Rafa.

On Siem: Same two questions. The guy was supposed to be a steal at 6 m., proved a dud. Seems quite slow, but so did ZZ. Think we need more energy threre…. Erm, give him a chance Rafa.

• giimps

May 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I like darlow too, but he has been known to make the odd error, to be honest, they could all be number one (other than Selz at the minute) Elliot played well the last few games and deserved to keep his place based on the fact darlow had cost us points , but he’s young for a keeper ad in no way the finished article, Krul and Elliot are , selz is young too so will probably go on loan to a lower league club …..its going to be interesting tho see who the gaffa chooses as his keeping team .
    Pre season is going to be crucial, yet another influx of players to bed in and another batch allowed to leave…,don’t be surprised to see us do the same as last season and have a small period where we don’t get many points before the system kicks in and were on our way, having said that, I’m hoping the prem league refs aren’t trying to make a name for themselves as the champo lines clearly were, this may see us get many more 50\50 decisions go for us rather than 90% going against us…….I realise this might sound bitter and we won the league anyway but its what i think and some stats point this out, sham penalties for Brighton, ahem….

• martoon

May 25, 2017 at 9:40 AM

giimps @7 – I think most would agree with you about the refereeing, I know we watch through black & white eyeballs but the amount of soft penalties that Brighton got seemed, lets say, disproportionate. Even on the final day they got one and I was half expecting Grealish’s goal to be disallowed due to him being a plonker! 😀

• posada

May 25, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Sell Krul if we can get good money. He only has 1 year left on his deal.
    If not keep him for that year. In another 12 months Woodman should be ready to step up, if he’s not there already.

• thehen

May 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Krul is a class act, he has PL experience which Darlow doesn’t really have, Tim should be our NO1 and Darlow should be sold along with sels, Elliot for me is a decent understudy.
    also Krul as far as im concerned is better all round (when fit) thank all at club. Freddie Woodman will be an england number 1 in years to come and i hope we hold on to him and dont do another Fraser Forster and let him go!