We’ve looked a few times at which players could be leaving Newcastle this summer and every time we look it seems more of the returning players do not have a future at Newcastle and certainly some of last season’s squad will not be kept at the club either.
The surprise news this week is that it looks like Rafa Benitez is not prepared to offer either Vurnon Anita or Yoan Gouffran new contracts this summer and therefore they will become free agents and leave for nothing in July.
Between the two of them they made 86 first team appearances for the team – Vurnon played 31 games with 26 starts and Yoan had his best season ever at Newcastle with 45 appearances and 36 starts with 7 very good goals.
Could be the end of the road for Yoan Gouffran and Vurnon Anita
But both had good seasons for Newcastle
Those that were sent out on loan mostly were players who were not really wanted by Rafa in the Championship first team squad and for others – like Tim Krul, Siem de Jong and the youngsters it was so they could get first team playing time.
Here were the players on loan in the second half of the season.
|Players on Loan||Loan Period||Club|
|Siem de Jong||Season||PSV|
|Kevin Mbabu||Season||BSC Young Boys|
|Henri Saivet||Season||St. Etienne|
|Tim Krul||from January||AZ Alkmaar|
|Emmanuel Riviere||Season||CA Osasuna|
And in truth not one of them had outstanding season last season playing for other teams, which is why we think they hardly have a chance now in the Rafa’s newcastle in the Premier league.
Of those seven players we think only local lad Adam Armstrong will still be with Newcastle next season but he will again be loaned out to a Championship club.
In addition we had players in the first team squad who don;t seem to have a future at Newcastle and they include Grant Hanley, Matz Sels, Achraf Lazaar, Jesus Gamez, Massadio Haidara and Daryl Murphy.
All will be sold if possible or sent out on loan to get them off the wage bill and we think Chancel Mbemba could be sold if Rafa is able to bring in two center-backs this summer.
In addition Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic will not be retained when their contracts run out at the end of June.
So it looks like the following players will be released or be for sale in the summer
- Florian Thauvin – sell (sold?) to Marseille for £10M
- Henri Saivet – sell if possible
- Emmanuel Riviere – sell if possible
- Kevin Mbabu – sell if possible
- Haris Vuckic – contact will not be renewed
- Sammy Ameobi – contact will not be renewed
- Achraf Lazaar – sell if possible
- Jesus Gamez – sell if possible
- Matz Sels – sell if possible or a season long loan deal
- Massadio Haidara – sell if possible
- Daryl Murphy – sell to a Championship club
- Vurnon Anita – contact will not be renewed
- Yoan Gouffran – contact will not be renewed
- Siem de Jong – sell – doubtful he’s good enough for Newcastle
- Tim Krul – Rafa could bring in a new goalkeeper in the summer and sell Tim
- Grant Hanley – sell – many Championship clubs are already after him
- Chancel Mbemba – will be sold if Rafa brings in two center-backs this summer
So there are 17 players who could not be with us by September because they have either been sold – which would be the preferred option so Rafa gets those funds to spend on new players.
The alternative to that is they are sent out on loan for the season to get them off the Newcastle wage bill.
That’s an awful lot of players to move out in just one summer, but quite honestly if Rafa can bring in say 8 good players for next season he could move these players out and move some of the talented U23 players up into the first team squad and have a good Premier League squad.
It could really be a massive clear-out this summer and much bigger than what we even saw last summer.
Which players do you think Newcastle should move out this summer?