The news last week for Newcastle in the transfer market was good in that we are reported to have put offers in for several of our top targets and we know Rafa wants his players brought in quickly this summer.
The fact that we got promoted back on Monday April 24th when we took Preston apart 4-1 at home means that Rafa – and especially Lee Charnley – have been working hard since then on transfer business.
21 year-old Angers forward Nicolas Pepe
And we know Lee is a bit of a workaholic and a good negotiator and we therefore expect signings to be announced by Newcastle fairly imminently.
The pre-season training starts five weeks on Monday and Rafa wants most of the transfer business competed by then if that’s at all possible and Lee is well aware of that.
We have already signed Christian Atsu from Chelsea in a £6.2M deal and it looks like the players we are working hard on are some of the following:
- 21 year-old Angers forward Nicolas Pepe is an Ivory Coast international worth around £8M with Monaco, Marseille and Wolfsburg also in for him,
- 23 year-old Leganes midfielder Gabriel Pires who has a £6M release clause in his contract with the club and Newcastle have already made a “significant” offer for the player.
- We are assuming Rafa is in for 25 year-old former winger Andros Townsend from Palace and will bid £13M for him to activate the release clause in his contract.
- Seems like out top striker target is Burnley’s Andre Gray and Newcastle are in for him (£10M fee?) as an early signing – he would be great at Newcastle under Rafa Benitez.
- FInally 20 year-old Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham on loan but it looks like Brighton & Hove Albion are in the lead for him but its’ still possible we could pip the south coast team.
Rafa can also surprise by signing somebody out of the blue which he did last season a few times.
But next week or sooner we should be seeing players arriving at Newcastle United.