Report – Newcastle Pull Out Of Chase For Defender

ESPN FC are reporting that Newcastle will not lodge a bid for Arsenal left-back Kieran Gibbs – and their sources are said to be close to Newcastle United.

We thought the £15M fee Arsenal have placed on Kieran’s head was a bit much for a player who has only one year left on his contract.

But the news that was put out was that it had not put Rafa off and he would still go after the 27 year-old defender.

27 year-old Arsenal left-back Kieran Gibbs

But this report goes right against that and it seems sensible, because surely we can get a player of Kieran’s abilities for less than £15M?

The sources have told ESPN FC that the Magpies are unlikely to pursue any deal for the England international and the club are said to have switched their attentions to other targets – presumably because of that high fee.

Kieran has to leave Arsenal this summer to get his career back on track, but at least according to this report he will not be ending up at Newcastle United.

Wonder who we are after now?

What do you think?

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Good player but gets injured a fair bit I’d still take him though rotate in with Dummett

Hopefully should be some movement on the transfer front soon with Semedo and Abraham coming in

• martoon

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM

WWSBRD – he is a good player but I honestly don’t think he’s worth £15m if that price is true.

• SeanNufc87

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:50 AM

We can’t officially sign anyone until the 1st of July, atsu was a diff

• jezza442

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM

not too bothered by this one,we got hayden for a lot less off the arse he’s younger and I belive better so 15m is a bit of a no go for me .

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM

martoon
    He’s worth what people will pay mate

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM

jezza
    Hayden won’t be playing LB though

• SeanNufc87

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I’ll try that again without a wandering thumb!

We can’t officially sign anyone until the 1st of July, atsu was a different case as we had a loan to buy option that we could activate at any time. I don’t think we will see any real movement until close to the end of the month.

For me 15m for and English Premier League standard player is a steal even with only a year left. His only issue is his injury record but I’d say it would be worth a punt in todays inflated Market.

• SPRINGY

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Martoon
    Thats to rich for us….not that we cant afford it,but we have to get value for money and his injury record would suggest we wouldn’t….when you consider 10-15m would get you,or at least go a lot towards another quality player…its just to much….wonder if all parties would be interested in a loan deal with a set price if he plays x amount of games to prove his fitness?….im not convinced arsenal would though as they know they are trying to cash in on a injury prone player.

• Offkey

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM

If we are going to spend big on a striker and/or other attacking players, it makes sense to me to buy your cheaper players first as you can then play the limited budget card in negotiations…….here’s hoping

• martoon

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM

SPRINGY – I would agree with that.
    SeanNufc87 – Without wanting to relight an old debate I think we decided that although most players contracts run to the end of June the window actually opens 9 June.

• B1GSTEVE

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM

B1GSTEVE
    Jun 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    I’m surprised so many people are not considering we will need to play 3 at the back, at times, next season, as a lot of premier teams do. So we need players that are used to that system. So Clark, Lasceles, Mbemba and maybe Dummet and Goode?. So we will need another cb or 2 to cover suspensions/injuries(hopefully not many), afcon etc

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Sean
    They don’t join up with the squad and have they contract start until that date but they can sign it whenever really Man City have already signed 2/3 players

• Ron Knee

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Armstrong and Woodman start today.

• john tudor

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM

sign a pre contract agreement any time

• jayphoto

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Rafas always tried to go by a policy of buying first team players with previous starters dropping to reserve and prev squad players leaving… think we’ll see that with out defenders with Hanley and Mbemba leaving, Lascelles and Clark dropping into rotation and Semedo and Lejeune coming in. Interestingly, Lejeune is very similar to Lascelles in no nonsense beast and Semedo is basically an overgrown playmaker someone decided to move into central defense…
    Think if Abraham comes then it’s to start.Chelsea usually require an assurance of more starts than not and If I’m honest, from what I saw last season he’s got a couple extra strings to his bow than Gayle.
    Rafa loves a rotation though, remember he went 100 games not naming the same side twice in succession at Liverpool… can only aid us up the league

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM

jay
    I reckon Tammy will get a similar level of game time as Atsu got last season tbh

Also not sure Mbema will leave back 3 is way of PL now

• jayphoto

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Honestly like Gibbs, but at 15m, his injury record would make him a no go.
    Some reports I’ve seen in Germany have us looking at the Chelsea lad Baba Rahman who was on loan at Schalke who Conte deems as too attack minded for his system. Only 22, be an interesting one to watch

• hibbit

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Gibbs is a good play when fit but his injury record and a £15m price tag must go again this deal going through

• jayphoto

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM

@wwsbrd – might be wrong but I would be amazed if rafa starts with a back 3. He invented 4-2-3-1… has played it through all the trends, everywhere he has gone, even at Madrid where it peed Ronaldo off…
    Can see him adapting to a back 3 during games, the 4-2-3-1 is adaptable during in game management, but I’d see the defensive midfielder- Hayden dropping into the back 3 to make that happen. Really can’t imagine him ever starting a game as a back 3 with 3 out n out centre backs.
    If 2 CB’s come in, and 2 are out going Mbemba would be my bet over Lascelles (young, English and captain) or Clark (our best player last year and most adaptable versatile defender)

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM

jay
    He played with a back 3 last season

Blokes a student of the game and he will go with what’s successful imo and currently that includes 3 at the back. I reckon we will see 3 at the back a few times next season

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM

match is almost ready to start u 20 on eurosport 2 woodman and arma starting.

• beermonkey

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM

1949

Who we playing

• jayphoto

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM

@wwsbrd – be interesting to see how he goes.
    Weird one because Im realistic with my expectations for next season and top 10-12th is probably a success, but I just can’t imagine Rafa not competing in the mix of top 6-7, hope its not blind optimism but I think he could surprise a few people next season.. I mean West Brom with a team of largly jobbers and journeymen were 8th most of the season… the gap from championship – premier league isn’t what it used to be if you invest when you get there ie: Bournemouth, Burnley etc

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:03 PM

jay
    I will be happy with anything 17th up tbh but looking at the league last year (it was very poor which it may not be next year) I doubt Rafa wouldn’t be licking his lips

We have the money issue which others don’t though

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Yo…Which money issue? Not being in the PL last season?

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:07 PM

beer…Mexico

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Ibiza
    Yup costs of relegation and missing out on a lot of money from the tv deal

• cyprus

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Stock taking: we’ve signed… Atsu! 🙂

How do we assess the situation? If we sign some or any good players, it’s down to amazing Rafa’s charisma and negotiating skills, if we fail and get only a workmanlike team, it’s the evil rest of management team, right? 😉

Don’t jump, not trying to spoil the feel good environment, it’ll all be ok, I’m confident. Onwards and upwards.

• JackBall

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Just want to point out that Ron Knee’s post “Ditch the hearts please!”received the most hearts/likes (located on page 4 the article Rafa Frustrated There Are Not More Signings).

I do not know why I care so much, but please Ditch the hearts.

• cyprus

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I see we’ve all been educated. Avoid relegation, we’ll be happy.

True dat. Me too. Kind of a shame, but true.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Yo…Fair enough.

Jack…I read that the intention is not to have a dislike button, so not sure what the benefit of having the heart button is. It’s basically the same, with a positive spin on it.

Cyprus…Not sure there’s a golden rule to it, but that’s probably the working version of it.

• WWSBRD

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM

…yeah the hearts thing isn’t for me either very Facebook which I can’t stand

I miss the simplicity of the blog tbh but I will cope

• Nufc-83

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM

If he was fit more often then he would be worth upwards of 18m in my opinion. Top class full back and if we can bring in someone with anywhere near his ability at full back I will be happy. Bottom line is we absoloutely cant go into this season with Dummett at first choice LB.

• nut meg

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM

• clinath@ed

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM

can you see Jib and Mister T counting their hearts and having a row over who has the most. I’d heart that one…

• Phil K

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:29 PM

£15 million is absolutely ridiculous for an injury hit player who WON’T get us any money back if sold at 27
    Arsenal fans seem to think they WILL get £15 mill – when his replacement is coming in on a free !
    I’d like him signed but at less than half of what they’re asking

• jezza442

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:31 PM

personally I don’t think our squpdate is too bad to start with,certainly good enough to survive the drop new players will arrive and make it better,no idea who they will be all these rumours are just that but I am confident that whoever does turn up Rafa will have them all well drilled for the new season onwards and upwards hwtl.

• jezza442

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM

our squad

• G

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM

What Regt jezza442?

• jayphoto

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM

wouldn’t shock me if they did get 15m…Hes a really talented player, thought he was younger than 27 tho… there are plenty of premier league clubs that pay too much for players to try and get that elite level of player…
    didn’t van aanholt cost 14m?
    From Gibbs point of view financially, going on a free in a year would probably benefit him most, come late august if he digs his heels in Arsenal will just want to recoup something for him, could see him then going to a mid range club for 8m ish