Report – Rafa To Make Move For Former Liverpool Midfield Stalwart

Rafa Benitez signed 20 year-old Lucas Leiva from Brazilian club Gremio for £5M way back in 2007 and he became a stalwart for the Reds playing defensive midfield for Liverpool.

It’s interesting that one month after signing for Liverpool Lucas gained his first full cap for Brazil after he had been captain of the Brazilian U20 side.

And there’s news today in the Northern Echo that Rafa is keen to sign the 30 year-old, who had a very good season last season at the Reds playing in defensive midfield and also on occasion at center-back.

30 year-old Lucas Leiva of Liverpool

Lucas played 31 times with one goal for Liverpool and in his career he has made 344 appearances for Liverpool with seven goals and 247 of those were in the Premier League: he has 24 caps for Brazil.

So Lucas would be a very welcome and very experienced addition to the Newcastle squad, if we can sign him.

The Northern Echo is reporting that Benitez would just love to sign his former player and we saw at Anfield last year that there’s still a terrific relationship between Rafa and Lucas as they met on the touchline before the game which ended in  2-2 draw.

It was very obvious that Lucas was simply delighted to see Rafa again as he ran from the dugout to greet the former Liverpool manager on the touchline before the game.

Lucas has been linked with a return to Brazil and his first club Gremio, but it’s clear from the report today in the Northern Echo that Rafa would just love to have the player at Newcastle, where his vast experience would be a major boost to the team.

This is not the first time we have been linked with a move for Lucas Leiva and at 30 years of age he still has a number of seasons left where he could play Premier League football, especially after his impressive season for the Reds last term.

And with just one year left on his contract at the Reds, he’s available for just £4M so that could be a very good deal for Newcastle.

What do you think?

• martoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Not a player I rate and passed his best. Surely just paper talk putting 2 and 2 together and making 5?

• AncientC

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM

As a direct replacement for Colback – he would be an upgrade. A big game player too… if the side is to make any kind of impact in cup competitions this coming season.

• G

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM

For £4M though, in todays market? His experience could also be invaluable. I agree he wouldn’t be my first choice martoon, but I think he could definitely offer us something different.

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:03 AM

So another one missed Harry maguire so know one say there’s no transfers going on you see them been done on sky my be pre contracts but club are signing player hate every summer now.

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Our Toon Let me tell you what you know about January. The same as me – nothing. A rumour. Nothing more. One with no substance.
    What about the offer we made for Cairney? Nobody knew about that, but the Fulham boss confirmed it. So nobody knows anything about what happened in January.

• AncientC

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Very philosophical, Bobby. A signing is not a signing until holding the shirt. Clever stuff. “Just wait and see.”

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Ancient, what else can we do but wait and see?

• toontaff2

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Bobby, we could moan and groan, throw in the odd hissy fit or just completely panic! 🙄

• Our Toon

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Ancient

The league members recently voted unanimously to change the laws around ownership, a new owner can’t come in and change a badge or strip colours etc unless fans are on board with it. Also the fit and proper rules have changed thanks to some if the Muppets that have come in recently with poor ownership

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Toontaff, Aye, something this blog appears to excel in. Hear a half story, repeat it enough times until it’s accepted as truth, then just keep going on and on about it. 🙂

• toontaff2

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Darlow, Janmaat, Dummett, S.Taylor, Mbemba, Colback, Tiote (Shelvey), Townsend, Sissoko (Sterry), Wijnaldum (Aarons), Mitrovic.
    Subs n/u: Cisse, De Jong, Perez, Woodman.
    Team that beat Spurs 5-1, last PL game.

• toontaff2

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Darlow, Dummett, Mbemba, Colback, (Shelvey), (Sterry), (Aarons), Mitrovic.
    Subs n/u: De Jong, Perez, Woodman.
    Rest gone.

• AncientC

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Our Toon: I was reading about that recently. There was a report in the Chronicle about the Premier League vetting potential owners. Believe me – the day Ashley gets the hell out, will me a fine day as far as I am concerned. Hydrogenated fats are not enough karma for that swine.

• Our Toon

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Bobby

We all could see and hear the frustration in Rafa’s interviews, I’m sure he also went a little further which proved he wasn’t backed. I thought it was right not to sign anyone as the money could be out to better use in summer window.

Seems like we are making great progress in this window so far as well, it must be a sign that Ashley has changed.

Ashley had no options other than rafa, he had to wilt to rafa’s demands as that was his only hope of protecting his asset. He needed rafa more than rafa needed him, the circus will come back into town once we have secured safety….it always does with Ashley, once bitten twice shy…..I find it amusing that fans actually think a man like Ashley will change his entire blueprint of how to run a company on the notion that he has Rafa.

We can’t even get a deal over the line for a loanee kid, got outbid by 1m euros to the juggernaut that is Villarreal if reports are to be believed. Yep it’s all change here!!

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Our Toon, you’ve just hit the nail on the head. We have no idea about these Chinese investors/buyers. Recently a few clubs have suffered with strange decisions made by new owners. It nearly cost Birmingham a place in the Championship and condemned Blackburn to Division One. They came in full of great ideas but didn’t have a clue. Result? Disaster.
    Is a new owner worth it if we lose Rafa in the process? Might be for you, but not for me and those around me in the ground. All we want is Rafa given a free reign to continue his project of making Newcastle of force again.
    If the investors are going to come in and throw money at it, then fine – I’m all in. Nobody likes Ashley. But for some of us he’s just the owner. Not the big boogie man. If he carries on giving Rafa exactly what he wants, why gamble that on the unknown? You do realise this could drive Rafa away? They might not want to agree to the current arrangement. In fact, I’d be surprised if they did.
    You might think getting rid of Ashley is worth losing Rafa, because of your obsession, but not for me. We’re heading in the right direction, why change course now?

• wynsleap

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Ancient C – totally agree with you about Ashley. All this ‘Be careful what you wish for’ rubbish is just for fans who can’t imagine what real success could be like and are frightened of change.
    Anything is better than Ashley. He has done so much to denigrate this club it beggars belief. I don’t believe for one moment that a leopard can change its spots and we are always just an action away from another disaster with this guy.
    I love Chinese takeaways – if the Chinese come in and take away our owner I’d be ecstatic.

• geordiesteve520

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Not strictly NUFC related this, I wonder what has cracked off at Brighton. Why would their undisputed number 1, leave for a Championship club immediately after getting promoted?

• hibbit

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:51 AM

bobby
    as much as i see the point your making it will be Ashley who makes that decision and i think it will come down to him getting the price he wants not his love of the club
    i think it will be money that decides if he goes or stays

• thereallowickmag

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I hate to be pessimistic but i cant help it as long as mike Ashley is in charge. Is it possible that this take over talk has been started from within the club to take the talk away from transfers? Then when we have signed mediocre, cheap players when the season starts the club can say the take over is off due to insufficient offer and big money could not be spent whilst there was a possibility of a take over.
    Sorry but i just do not trust the ones in charge.

• Our Toon

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Bobby

The owners you mentioned would have failed the new stress test put in place, give me a better example than doom and gloom, maybe a citeh, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, the 2 Milan clubs that have recently been bought by Chinese consortiums. You’ve had a decade of Ashley, how many times have you thought he’s turned the corner only to disappoint you again?

As for driving Rafa away, pretty sure they’ll know rafa is a very good manager and won’t be able to attract someone else at that level. The club’s you mentioned had managers like Fat Sam, Steve Bruce, if you were a new owner would you keep them managers? More chance of rafa walking under Ashley than him being removed by a new owner.

• AncientC

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Every day Ashley is siphoning advertising revenue away from NUFC to SD, is another day he is taking the proverbial p*** out of the fans. Do you just wake up one day and forget?

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Our Toon, don’t blame the failure re signings on Ashley ffs! He’s stepped back. It’s down to Rafa and Penfold, not Ashley. Rafa says he’s happy working with Penfold, why not just accept it. We don’t know what’s happened with transfers, just more noise. We might not have been in for those players quoted. You’re going on rumours. Rumours in football? Ten a penny.
    Yes, Rafa was looking unhappy – after we’d just lost a game. The next interview he was back to normal and still happy with the arrangement. His own words were ‘nothing has changed’.
    No point going back and forth anyway, it’s out of our hands completely. Nothing we say can change what will happen. It never does. My opinion is simply that right now, I don’t think changing owners will be good for Newcastle, not without knowing the plans. Given the choice, change owner or keep Rafa, I’d go with Rafa.
    If – a big if – the deal involves Rafa given the same freedom to build, then yes, I’m for a change. I’m not defending Ashley, I don’t know or care about Ashley, I’m only interested in NUFC and how it affects match going fans. Right now the future looks good.

• WLtoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Hey folks, dont worry about a thing. The guy who bumped into Rafa while out shopping assures us that all is well with the takeover and transfer plans. Well thats what Rafa told him anyway, but maybe even Rafa is a tad nieve and is getting hoodwinked by the Fatman

• martoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:15 AM

geordiesteve520 – I’m not sure what you are referring to?

• Rotonda heights

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Why do people keep saying new owners would ditch Rafa and that he wouldn’t be given free REIN.
    Rafa is a massive draw and hardly a serial loser like Pardew, Carver and McLaren. I think the Chinese being speculated about are somewhat better heeled than the people at Brum etc, or Ash wouldn’t be even contemplating it. Also don’t think Lucas is particularly PAST it and he would be a massive upgrade on Colback.

• Ron Knee

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM

martoon

I was wondering too!

• Rotonda heights

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM

NAIVE

• Our Toon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM

Bobby

Ashley has sold the idea that he’s stepped back, the fact you think he’s stepped back is laughable. Charnley must authorise all transfers, the proverbial yes man has the authority to sign off multi million pound deals without Ashley saying yes. They all report into Ashley including rafa who met with Ashley both in January and at the end of the season.

Wasn’t long ago Ashley was looking to bolt the cart to the horse, his words, next season we went down and made the inspired decision to hire McClaren. You have your opinion I’ll agree to disagree with you on that.

• Our Toon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Rotonda

Spot on mate

• WLtoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Reign

• Belfast

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM

He’s talking about David Stockdale leaving Brighton and joining Birmingham. You can only assume Birmingham have offered him a far better contract.

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:29 AM

I’m not talking about them turning him away. He’s signed a contract under certain agreement – that he has total control over football maters. Agreed? What if the new owners want things different? Chances are they’ll want to do things their way. He might walk.
    As I’ve repeatedly said, but people choose to ignore, is that if the new owners agree to what Rafa wants then go for it. I have no love for Ashley, but sometimes you need to look from both sides. Frankly, I don’t care who owns us. Never will. I support the football team and learned a long time ago that owners do what they choose. Broke my skull bashing it against that brick wall a long time ago.
    All I want is what’s best for the club I support. Right now, that’s Rafa.
    And no Ancient, I don’t forget, but neither do I whine about it every day. Better things to do.
    Which reminds me, I have got better things to do than discuss moot points. IF these Chinese investors agree to back Rafa the same way Ashley has, then go for it. Sell up. Please. I’m all for it. Just maybe I’m taking a wider view than those who, understandably I suppose, are obsessed with Ashley. But if anything is likely to prevent Rafa from progressing, then I’m against it. My love for Newcastle comes ahead of my dislike of Ashley. I find it amazing people can let one man come between them and the club they support tbh. He’s not Newcastle – we are.

• geordiesteve520

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM

@Martoon. David Stockdale has rejected Brighton’s offer of a contract and signed for Birmingham on a free. Just seems really odd to me, that he was never in danger of losing his place, just gained promotion with the club and all things looking rosy on the outside but has signed for a team, who despite having ‘Arry, only avoided being a League 1 team on the final day of last season. It’s not like they’ve been linked with keepers from the off, that I could have understood…

• Belfast

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM

According to Arry they’ve also offered John Terry a contract as well. So they must be offering big wages.

• Belfast

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Birmingham could probably end up like Portsmouth if Arry is seen as some kind of Messiah by those Birmingham owners.

• martoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Thanks Belfast – when I looked on the BBC it said he had been offered a new contract – can only be money!

• WLtoon

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Im rushing to the bookies to put a fiver on brum getting promoted, should be decent odds.

• Bobbybee

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Nobody is saying they’ll dump Rafa ffs. Rafa agreed to a contract on certain terms. If those terms change because the new owners decide to run the club their way – remember, like Ashley did – then maybe Rafa won’t want to stay. Jesus, this isn’t rocket science.
    Amazing, all those who were screaming Rafa will leave if he doesn’t get his own way, are now in full reverse. He will leave if he doesn’t get his own way, because he went to great lengths to get that agreement from Ashley. Can you not see past your hatred that that would apply to any owner? Rafa wants it like this. He’s happy. If Ashley’s sold that idea, then he’s sold it to Rafa as well. But no, our Toon knows exactly what’s going on.
    Nobody knows. If Rafa’s happy the new owners will continue, then sell. Fine. No problem. I don’t care who owns us. How hard is this? But if he sells and the new owners want to dictate to Rafa, then expect him to walk. That’s not what he agreed to. It’s not the deal he signed. He went to extreme lengths to get those agreements, do you think he did it for giggles?
    This hatred is blurring vision. Self self self. ‘I want Ashley out at any cost’. All about me. Well it’s not. It’s about NUFC first and foremost. I want new owners too, just not at any cost.

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM

geordiesteve520 why should anything be happening at brighton Diame came to us after hull went last season so what your point.

• Jib

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Ancient
    What beautifully emotive word

Siphoning

Did you remember to siphon your pension last Thursday