Newcastle Moving Quickly To Sign French U21 Winger And Fend Off Italian Interest

21 year-old Jonathan Bamba moved to St. Etienne back in 2011 when he was only 15 and he has been there ever since, although he did have a loan spell at the first half of last season at Sint-Truiden (8 appearances 2 goals) and then he went on loan at Angers in January, where he played 19 times with 3 goals and 2 assists.

And there’s news today in Foot Mercato that Newcastle are interested in signing the winger with Italian clubbing Atalanta, who finished 4th in Serie A last season, also reported keen on signing the youngster.

Bamba has played 15 games for St. Etienne with one goal and one assist and he made his Ligue 1 debut back in January 2015 against Paris Saint-Germain in a 1-0 defeat when he was just 18.

21 year-old French U21 International Jonathan Bamba of St. Etienne

The player was born in the suburbs of Paris in France, but he is of Ivorian descent and he’s played for the French U16, U18, U20 and U21 youth teams.

However a bit of a spanner in the works was that long term manager Christophe Gaultier has left the club after being manager there since 2009 and St. Etienne were unwilling to sell any player until Gaultier was replaced.

The French club have just appointed Oscar Garcia yesterday as their new manager on a two-year contract.

The former Brighton and Watford manager Garcia has left  Red Bull Salzburg where he had considerable success winning the Austrian League and Cup double during both the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

Presumably the  transfers will now start up again at the French club.

The news from France is that Newcastle are preparing a bid for the 21 year-old French U21 International, who can play on either wing so he is quite versatile.

The Magpies want to move quickly to beat Italian club Atalanta to signing the player and maybe this is one of the four players Rafa wants to sign within the next couple of weeks?

There is also news Newcastle will try to use Henri Saivet in part exchange for Bamba, since Saivet was at St Etienne last season on loan.

But he didn’t play too well at the French club and the news at the end of the season  was that St. Etienne were not interested in signing the former Bordeaux midfielder – so an exchange deal for Jonathan Bamba could prove to be difficult.

What do you think?

=======

Health Update – I am about half way through my chemotherapy treatment at Rex Cancer Center here in Raleigh, so I thought it a good time to update those interested.

My blood tests were OK on Wednesday and I was given the go ahead for my 4th chemotherapy infusion (of 6) yesterday afternoon.

The next 10 to 14 days have proved to be the worst for side reactions with exhaustion – often complete exhaustion – being the worst side effect due to my very low red blood cell count.

However the good news it that I’m on schedule and hopefully will complete the treatment by early August and then it generally takes around two months to get back to what we’ll call normal – when my hair will hopefully grow back in.

🙂

Then we’ll see how things stand – it’s always hard to know what’s really happening half way though the treatment.

As you may know I am also undergoing Hormone therapy at the same time which also has some side effects – but there’s good evidence over the last two to three years the two treatments taken together can prolong life expectancy for stage four cancer patients.

Obviously I am hoping this will make a (big) difference and I will be able to keep reporting on Rafa’s fantastic revolution unfolding at Newcastle and they look to be really exciting times ahead for all of us.

Howay The Lads!!

=======

• AncientC

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Bobby, I knew Dalglish won the title with Blackburn. Maybe I didn’t phrase the question to WW clear enough.

Personally I do not judge how good a manager is solely on the amount of silverware they have, circumstance and timing can play a large part in winning silverware.
    Look at Di Matteo. CL winner, not a manager I rate whatsoever. Zidane has 2, an unproven quantity.

Without being Bias, I would have Keegan over Dalglish every single time.

• SPRINGY

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Glad to hear things are goin as well as can be expected ed,good luck and good health mate.

• joeinthecheapseats

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:06 PM

Good luck with the treatment Ed
    Hopefully we start signing a few players next week but worry about Ashley parting with the cash if I’m honest.
    Like to see us trying to buy proven talent such as Sigurdsson from Swansea, Josh King from Bournemouth and Ake from Chelsea

• Jib

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:09 PM

All the best Ed

• WWSBRD

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Good luck Ed we are all pulling for u

AncientC
    Thats cool mate nothing wrong with that I wasnt saying Poch was a bad manager (Ive said several times how good he is) rather the comparison to Rafa and him ranking above him, which for me he doesnt. I dont see how u can compare a manager who hasnt won anything to a manager with a trophy cabinet that u could live in and come out with that conclusion but its just my opinion

• Young_Mag

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Ed your a legend mate. What your going through & still working tirelessly to keep the blog running is outstanding.

Cheers for the good work & hope you get better soon

• AncientC

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:21 PM

WW, fair point. If Benitez was not already here and I had a choice between Pochettino & Rafa, I would struggle with that one. Now that Benitez is here, I wouldn’t want to swap them. To be fair, the last time the two managers met, the fixture didn’t end all that well for Poch.

• magpie_in_ohio

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:24 PM

All the best with your continued treatment. Pulling for you….

• WWSBRD

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM

AncientC
    Aye Id not like to pick between them Poch is young and plays the current brand of football very well but at the same time had Rafa not already won La Liga by 45? I might be wrong though. I also think Rafa very much is still happy to learn things about how he plays football last season he learned to grind out results because the league required it (and he knew he couldnt count on the refs) I dont know if Poch is adaptable in the same way

At the end of the day though Rafa a serial winner and if we can keep him we will finally add to our trophy cabinet and at the end of the day thats what makes a manager successful…Rafa is world class imo and I dont think u can be considered world class if u havent won something but as I say just my opinion

Next season for me Rafa is top 4 in manager terms

• YoungMag :P

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM

There’s another young mag here ayy?

• Legolas

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:19 PM

All the best Ed. Your are a legend. Working on this blog whilst dealing with all that. Hope it all works out for you.

• Expat MAG

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I hope the treatment is successful as you are a truly great Geordie and we wish you and yours the best. Keep fighting….

• Ron Knee

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM

All the best, Ed.

• Spellcheck

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:38 PM

All the best Ed. HWTL’s

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM

All the very best ed.

• Toonces

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:46 PM

All the best to you Ed

• lesh

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:46 PM

Ed, your as tough as they come and we all hope this round of treatment does the trick. You and your family deserve good health and with it, happiness.

Being Stateside, you’re fortunate in that the Maybot (that’s our so called Prime Minister) won’t be visiting you!

• archaeomag

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:54 PM

Hang in there ED

• JohnJ

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Hi Ed, Here’s hoping your treatment goes as well as it can do!
    Wishing you all the best from a rather cloudy Whitley Bay.
    John

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:16 PM

All our best wishes Ed.

• reilly

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM

all the best ed.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM

All the best Ed.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Still haven’t heard anything more from Ibiza concerning the horrible accusation of Cyril being a dog. I explained it as best as I could to Cyril using coloured charts and hand signals. He’s heart broken. Won’t even chew on the neighbour’s leg. I’ve never seen a honey badger is such a depressed state. I am receiving loads of sympathy email concerning this. Here’s one:
    Mr. GeordieTwo
    The situation vis a vis Cyril is just not acceptable. Speaking for the Prime Minister I can say that we will be bringing this up with Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy as soon as possible. We want to resolve this before it turns into a major diplomatic incident. Harrumph!!!
    Yours Sincerely
    Gladys Pipnits
    Personal Secretary to His Honourable Justin Trudeau
    Now look what you’ve done Ibiza…..

• sobadithurts

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Ed,keep believing pal. I know someone who went through a similar procedure about 2 years ago and he’s progressing nicely. There is most definately a strong chance of beating this shet these days. Good luck my friend,stay strong and thanks for your sterling work.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Gladys is a lovely woman. She understands what this can do to a honey badger in his prime.

• Our Toon

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:42 PM

Keep up the fight Ed, I wish you all the best and hope the treatment works well for you.

• Mag52

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM

Thanks for the update Ed.
    Sounds like you’re getting the full works. You’re going to pull through and keep us arguing on here for years to come.

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:35 PM

All the best Ed. You have a lot of mates backing you.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:44 PM

keep fighting ed man

• TudorCrisps

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Just saw C Ronaldo at Newcastle airport…

• one fine day

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Positive new Ed
    Best wishes for the rest of it.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM

The whole “we’ll throw in Saivet plus a small amount of cash for Bamba sounds dodgy at best. Let’s do better than that Rafa mate. They have probably watched Saivet play since he was with them and it makes them feel horrible. Now we want them to watch him more? How bad can we make them feel and still do business with them mate? Harrumph…..

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM

And then there’s the whole recognizing the difference between a honey badger and a dog thing. I mean…… Is it that hard to pull out your iphone and just google honey badger? Is that too much to ask before you break Cyril’s heart Ibiza? Unbelievable……

• GeordieTwo

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Sounds like somebody could be going to prison for the tower fire. A leading fire specialist in Britain has said it was clearly a cladding fire. Fire got out of one of the apartments, probably through a broken or open window and set the external insulation behind the metal cladding on fire. It then rapidly spread upwards and was protected from the fire fighters by the metal cladding. Unstoppable once it got underway. And no building sprinkler system. Mr. Tarling has been trying to get the building regulations changed for years and said this was bound to happen. Disgraceful.

• Scott

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM

Don’t post much but read everyday without fail, have done for many a year, and hope to for many to come. Just wanted to wish you all the best Ed. Stay strong and thanks for all your effort with the blog. Probably the only thing everyone on here will agree on is wishing you a speedy recovery

• GeordieTwo