Newcastle To Miss Out On This Target – But Selling Club Likely To Lose Money

We had reported yesterday that Newcastle had put in a decent bid of €10M (£8.7M) bid for Anger forward Nicolas Pepe,  but that Watford were also after Pepe and had reportedly bid €13M for him, which is runaround £11.3M – £2.6M more than the Magpies reportedly offered.

This is the player we tried to sign in January and then when we couldn’t do that deal, we tried to get him in on loan but he still didn’t want to come.

It now seems he has no intention of moving to England and he wants to stay in the French league where a number of clubs are after his services.

22 year-old Nicolas Pepe – want to stay and play in France
So be it

But Angers will not get what the two English clubs are offering for him and the latest news from French Daily L’Equipe is that Lille are now willing to pay 8M for him and that’s around £7M which is almost £2M less than Newcastle are offering and close to £3.5M less than Hull are offering.

French daily L’Equipe are reporting that Lille  are now prepared to offer another €4M in bonus payments to Angers based on the number of performances he makes at Lille – so that may soften the blow a little bit.

It’s not known if Newcastle’s or Watford’s offers included bonus payments too.

Pepe has already agreed terms with Lille and all that needs to be done is get Angers to agree to a fee for the player.

We suppose it’s still possible for Newcastle to do the deal since Angers are still talking with the Tyneside club, but that looks very dubious now given that Pepe’s preference is to stay in the French League.

We may soon have to write Pepe off as another one of our initial targets who didn’t arrive at Newcastle this summer, but if he doesn’t want to come.

So be it.

But we still have many other targets to go after and there’s still lots of time left in this summer’s transfer window and we only want players who want to come to the club and join the Rafa revolution in any case.

========

Note: Emma Daubney and her daughter Tiegan are taking part in the Race for Life for Cancer Research UK on 1st July 17th at Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire.

All donations go to Cancer Research UK.

Emma’s partner Danny lost a work colleague a couple of years ago to cancer and to had to watch the effects chemotherapy had on his body and it was heart wrenching to him as his friend had terminal cancer, but doggedly kept coming to work and plodding along.

Sadly he died in hospital and Emma’s auntie also had breast cancer but luckily came through it and was giving the all clear in the end.

So the two ladies are doing a great thing in raising funds to fight this disease and there are new treatments being developed all the time.

See if you can donate and help them reach their goals – Here’s the donation page

Thanks.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM

I was wondering about how our Scouting department compares to other clubs and low and behold the Guardian have done an article:

Unfortunately, it doesn’t give any factual information which makes me wonder if there is any actual structure to deciding on potential transfers.

Newcastle United
    The 72-year-old Graham Carr had been expected to step down as chief scout this summer after apparently losing a power struggle with Rafael Benítez but he remains in post – for now at least. Once extremely powerful at St James’ Park, the Northampton-based Carr – father of the comedian Alan Carr – has been at the club since 2010. His key finds include Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, the late Cheick Tioté, Papiss Cissé, Demba Ba and Moussa Sissoko. A former Northampton Town manager, Carr, whose wings have been clipped and influence limited by Benítez, came to scouting prominence while working with David Pleat at Tottenham and later identified players for Sven-Goran Eriksson at Manchester City. Frequently seen at games in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Louise Taylor

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM

“I took your original post to mean that we should keep Mitrovich, due to the fact that when comparing established players when they were of a similar age, he stands up.”

Not exactly. I would rather Mitrovic was kept for another season whilst bringing in a proven striker. That is going to be the headache for Benitez though. Selling Mitrovic may not raise enough funds to bring in a proven goalscorer. The club certainly will not have the funds to buy Bas Dost, either way.

It’s a risk to keep Mitrovic, but it is also a risk to let him go.

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM

““Ancient C” -= Dost scored 36 in 85 games for Wolfsburg. Hardly poor. And I note you ignore his previous club and present club goal scoring record. MORE than one a game for his current club – which is where we get a better take on what he can do – not 6 years ago. And his previous club was 45 in 66 too.
    Your input is similar to your political one – ignore the parts which are inconvenient, and focus on the tiny part that maybe isn’t (especially with a little bit of omission of parts)”

Philip K, Where did I state that Bas Dost was “poor.”

I was comparing Mitrovic and Bas Dost at the same stages in their careers, how could I compare Bas Dost’s current form against Mitrovic, when Mitrovic has not hit that stage of his career yet? Bas Dost’s fist two seasons at Wolfsburg were his first two seasons making the step-up to a bigger league. So I made the comparison with Mitrovic. They are perfectly comparable.

Phillip, using straw man arguments are not a good start to debate a point.

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Phil K, speaking of “omission”, I noted that you left out Bas Dost’s 17 goals in 61 apps for Heracles. You also made no mention of Mitrovic at Anderlect. I made direct comparisons at the same stages in careers – without omissions. You on the other hand…

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Bas Dost, 23 when he signed for Wolfsburg. Mitrovic, 19 when he signed for Newcastle. I thought I was being quite fair to be honest.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Toon

The Hawthorn which housed the New Orleans became an Indian restaurant years ago. The buiding’s gone by the sounds of it?

Lindi

That scouting article wasn’t in my (southern) edition of the Grauniad so predusmbly it’s on line?

Essex
    I didn’t get to the Red Spot 70th but I think they expected a few hundred of the 1046 participants in it. We’re scattered all over the world by now. Here’s a link which gives a potted history of the survey.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM

This debate seems to have gotten a bit odd, so I’ll remove myself from it.

I’m sure people can find other players with similar stats to Mitrovich (when compared at the same age) who went on to not fulfill their potential.

There are no comparisons to be made really, hence why I tried to move the point on to what we need now vs potential. Thought it might make for an interesting and relevant discussion.

Phil…Not sure what you aim to accomplish by bringing politics into it and also Ancient is 100% right, he never said Das Bost was poor, just highlighted we may well have the next one already on our books in Mitrovich.

Anyway, enjoy your weekend everyone. I hope you’re getting some of this heat over there.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Ha, feel free to swap letters on his name.

Bas Dost.

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:29 PM

People need to chill out about the lack of signings so far. They will come soon enough and all at once no doubt.

In the meantime click on the donation link at the bottom of the article and sponsor my missus and daughter for cancer research. 🙂 or click on my name and it will take you straight to it 🙂

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM

That tells me all I need to know Watford beat for a couple off millions.

• Jib

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Sachin at the top of Forth Bank was lush

• welshgeordie9

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM

Doesn’t matter who’s the manager of this club, we are still struggling to get players in, it’s bull crap, I’m starting to lose patience.

• giimps

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM

For those interested in why we have so many players linked the Chronic has a decent article on it which partially explains it.
    I hope that link works,
    Hope your feeling well Ed, hopefully it will be overwith soon enough and we can continue to get your much appreciated updates for decades to come ,good news and bad , trophies and early cup exits ,were all with you mate

• giimps

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Welsh, just because we have only one in dont mean nothings happening, Im sure Rafa and his chimp will be working their arses off to get deals done, not the ones broadcast in the media though, 90% of them are crap, the rest is made up, the only ones who know who were after are the ones involved in the deals ,wev had our hands burned too often ,Rafa dont play that way.
    I trust the Gaffa, Fatty not so much but hes not said we wont be buying players for this reason or that, hes said its business as usual ……patience is a virtue……were all restless as it seems like ages since the end of the season but its only been a few weeks, its still 11 weeks till the end of the window (or thereabouts) ,i must admit though i thought we would have dipped our toe in a bit more though

• magspuggy

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:57 PM

I would be happier if we kept mitro than replace him with tammy twobob

5 mill for colback seems like a good deal.

I would have liked to see new faces bought by now but no panic we have loads of time before pre season.

Q. has ashleys fixer been at the club since penfold helped the taxman or has he just turned up ?

• RoyalToon

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:02 PM

We really need a top quality signing. Need to break our record fee. 17 mil gets you an alright player so for quality your talking 20 mil +.

Would love to see Pastore from PSG. He seems to be available and is very creative.

Am I being stupid thinking we could get someone that good?

• lochinvar

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Say goodbye to your football career Tammy. Your Agent and the Russian Mafia want you playing in the Championship for Hull. Hope you like your digs there.

The Sun had claimed that the north-east giants Newcastle were confident that Abraham would sign on a season-long loan at the end of last week before he flew to Poland to represent England Under-21s at the European Championships.

But that did not prove to be the case and the Mail now report that any club wanting to take the striker for next season must pay a £1million signing-on fee to the player and his agents, a salary of more than £50,000-a-week and a lucrative goal bonus.

• Bobbybee

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:15 PM

So Abrahams now wants fifty grand a week if we’re lucky enough to get him? Just my opinion but I’d walk away from this one.
    Not knocking his goals last season, but 90% were six yard tap inside following bad defending. All credit for being there, goals are goals, but will those chances arise in the PL? How often do you see mad scrambles with a pinball bouncing around? Is it worth tying up fifty K a week on an unproven striker?
    The more I hear the less I like.

• martoon

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:41 PM

£1m signing on fee and £50000 a week for an unproven under 21 year old – forget it!

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:49 PM

I’m hoping that the players we sign aren’t from the hundred we’ve been linked with as after reading them again it doesn’t actually fill me with optimism. There’s a few I’d like a lot but a lot that I don’t think will come, we’d want or won’t sign elsewhere.
    However there’s plenty of time and most clubs are in the same situation.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Toondog2

I think I missed something in your post about The New Orleans.

Were you saying that it was you who was interviewed about the Red Spot gathering, by the Beeb?

If it was you,I hope you have/ had a happy 70th.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM

If it’s right about Abrahams wanting a million plus £50k a week, he’s clearly a bit big for his little boots.

Signing him would probably upset the status quo in the dressing room and for me, we should wish him all the success he deserves and walk away.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:54 PM

What about a straight swap? Matz Sels for Ruud Boy Boffin. We need a man like this in wor squad!

• GeordieTwo

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:58 PM

I see Ibizatoon has been lurking about. Probably concerned about repercussions from the whole international incident he has started. Gladys Pipnits assures me the Canadian naval task force is about to leave Halifax for Spain. Cyril is lying around ignoring his meals and looking miserable. Shocking situation. Harrumph…..

• GeordieTwo

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM

This Bat Dross fella? Is he worth 12M euros lads? He’s 28 now and could step right in.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:06 AM

I would far rather have Bat Dross than a man named Tammy Tap-In lads.

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:20 AM

Tammy tittle mouse Abraham. I won’t lose any sleep over losing out on this kid. Tap ins and tantrums is all he offers!

• U.S Magpie

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:40 AM

So WTF is going on at Newcastle, we were linked with this player a month ago and this was reported on Sky Sports. Striker Sandro Ramirez is poised for a move to Everton after they met his buy-out clause of 6m euros (£5.24m) from Malaga. So lets get this straight, this kid would have cost us 6m Euros? Sorry but now this transfer window is officially once again the biggest joke in football with Newcastle Leading the way.

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:57 AM

miss out again well what new.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:10 AM

Why are people acting like we’re the only team to have not made many signings? That’s the case for most of the teams in the league so far. Of course I’d like to see more new faces coming into the team, but these things take time, plus we’re up against lots of other teams who are scrambling to sign players too.

If we’ve not signed any players before the window closes then I’ll be just as annoyed as the rest of you, but there’s still time to go lads. Be patient!

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:16 AM

U.S. Magpie – I don’t mean to be funny, but how are we the biggest joke in football? Take a look at the signings for Premier League teams on this link and it’ll show you that it’s been fairly quiet throughout the league. It’s not just us.

• one fine day

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:55 AM

Starting to hope we do ” miss out ” Abraham.
    Didn’t Rafa even go and meet him on his wedding aniversary ?
    One of the best coaches in the game goes out of his way to show you he wants you and you need to think about it ?
    Meanwhile your in a hurry to cash out and want relatively massive wages from a club as they help with your development ?
    This kid seams to epitomise everything wrong in the game now and the wash bag mentality of young players.
    Much rather develop one of our own in Arma and give him a chance .
    He would suit our style of play as to me he is similar to gayle in many ways and we know he can finish .
    Oh yeah and he also understands us and wants to f@cking be here man !
    Hope Tammy ends up at Hull

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:14 AM

one fine day – I’ll assume that was a typo and you meant Hell instead of Hull. Actually, it’s the same thing, isn’t it?

• JackBall

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:24 AM

Maybe Rafa sees something special in this kid and maybe he thinks he’ll be able to sign him after the loan or maybe he just thinks he’d provide a little something needed this one season for relatively little money. But those are a lot of maybes that I don’t know if the are true. What I am saying is, from what I have seen, I hope we do miss out on this one.

• one fine day

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:24 AM

Was a typo mate but a very apt one as you point out ??

• one fine day

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:32 AM

Lindesfarne
    Great link and some interesting stuff on scouting set ups .
    Like Southampton’s the most .
    Seem to analyse everything about a player before even approaching him .
    “At any one time we have up to 20 in mind for every position and then we get it down to four or five ”
    Where’s as Carr ?… “We are linked with everyone close to the end of a contract or signed up with me mates at Mondial like “

• one fine day

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:44 AM

Jack ball,
    I am sure Rafa does / did see something in him to make the effort to go meet him and sell him to us .
    It really should have been the other way round in my opinion but guess that’s the way things are for us these days .
    Unless it was option to buy then no thanks .
    Either way if he came it would be poor from our side..He comes and fails we are in the sh@t because he was brought in to get the goals and the lack of them means we struggle ,like mitro in the relegation season .
    He does well and Chelsea either take him back or slap a huge fee up for him and he/agent will want huge wages etc .makes me think of the whole loic remy saga.

• chicousa

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM

one fine day,
    I am feeling the same as you about Tammy, mate. This kid, though obviously talented appears to be under the influence of an agent or someone who is encouraging him to push for more money and a better deal than Rafa may have offered. He is afterall a ninteen year old kid and so will listen to these types who say to him, “you can do even better kid, wait and see!”

• Bobbybee

Jun 18, 2017 at 6:33 AM

I don’t care how long it takes as long as Rafa gets the sort of player he wants. This is going to be tough, because as usual, as soon as the money goes up, so does the prices. This season will be about establishing ourselves because everyone else has got more to spend than we have.
    The impossible Rafa can do in a season, but miracles he might need a bit more time for.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM

One fine day

In the past our transfer business has be eclectic with Car spotting good value. Hopefully Rafa will be able to bring in players for specific roles and not just replace the left back every season. Whilst the current squad is probably capable of holding their own, we have also suffered from stagnation in the past. New players are required to both lift the standard and freshen up the motivation of established starters.