Newcastle Reported To Be Very Close To Signing 25 Year-Old Cameroon International

Newcastle seem to be going after a number of their targets this week, in order that they are signed by the time pre-season training starts two weeks today.

There was news earlier today that it looks like we will be signing Eibar center-back Florian Lejeune for £8.4M this week and that will be an excellent signing for Newcastle.

And more good news today is that we are being linked with a strong move for Porto striker Vincent Aboubakar, with the news Newcastle are in advanced talks for the 25 year-old 57 times capped Cameroon International (17 goals).

25 year-old Porto striker Vincent Aboubakar

There has been some talk that Besiktas were favorites to sign the player after he spent last season on loan at the Turkish club and scored an impressive 19 goals in 38 total appearances, helping them win the Turkish League.

Futbol Arena are now reporting that Newcastle have made a strong move to sign the strong 6ft tall striker, with Newcastle’s financial muscle unable to be matched by the Turkish Champions.

Besiktas had been negotiating the transfer of Aboubakar with Porto, but the news is they have now pulled out of the running because they simply cannot compete with Newcastle.

Aboubakar is famous for having scored the winning goal for Cameroon in the 88th minute in the final of the African Cup of Nations last January in Gabon, when they beat Egypt 2-1.

The player signed for Valenciennes in Ligue 2 back in 2010 from Cameroon club Coton Sport and he stayed there for three years before moving to Lorient in 2013, before finally moving to Porto one year later in 2014.

While at Lorient he scored 17 goals with 8 assists in 36 appearances and while at Porto he’s scored 26 goals in 62 appearances with 7 assists for the Portuguese powerhouse.

Let’s hope the reports on Newcastle being in advanced talks with Vincent Aboubakar are indeed accurate – it would be nice to have two or three new players in by the time pre-season training starts two weeks today.

The news so far today has been upbeat for Newcastle – let’s hope the reports are true.

🙂

What do you think?

• WWSBRD

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM

People are gushing over this lad aren’t they? I know his name that’s about it what’s he like?

• martoon

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Ed says he is a striker but his Wiki profile says he is a midfielder, mind it also says his favourite ringtone is ‘Fog on the Tyne’ 🙂

• nut meg

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM

WW
    Here’s a taste of what he’s capable of.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM

@WWSBRD

He actually reminds me a little bit of Obafemi Martins except not 50 years old claiming to be 25…….

• Mag52

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM

This lad’s scoring record looks pretty good.
    He’d be an asset to us I reckon.

• nightfa11

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:18 PM

I don’t get Portuguese clubs.. Some pretty average players have buy out clauses of 40 + mio.. And than there are players such as Portuguese LB – valued at 5 mio, this guy valued at 10 etc..

• SA Toon

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:18 PM

I like the look of this lad. Strong, fast and tricky with a good shot in goal. If you watch footage of him you’ll see he doesn’t go down easily and makes almost as many goals as he scores.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM

WW

He’s a big brut with pace. Very good player in lesser leagues but certainly has the physique to be successful in the PL too. He kind of reminds me of a taller Bony when he was at Swansea, his pace coupled with his strength makes him a shrewd signing IMO if we can pull it off… This one is out of the blue for me, but I’ll be super happy if we pull it off 🙂

• geordiesteve520

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM

He’s like a more mobile Yakubu, good at holding the ball up and bringing players in, good at going behind too. Links play up well.

• AncientC

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Porto were interested in Mitrovic before he signed for Newcastle. A loan deal either way for both players could be beneficial for both clubs.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

We seem to be getting linked to an awful lot of players who we will lose during the next African Cup of Nations

• Krul To Be Kind

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Oh and I would say he will come at above our 16m record, the only worry I have is that his ability has been known for quite some time so I would ask why the big money boys haven’t tried snapping him up yet?

• Krul To Be Kind

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Ancient

Was it not sporting that had the interest in Mitro? Maybe since bas dost being linked again Mitro could be the bait in that deal?

• corkypants

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Yeah I really enjoy watching this lad when ever I’ve seen him play on the box he has looked like a real handful also a couple of years back he was linked to big money moves to the massive clubs like Madrid and barca if I remember correctly I really hope he is a target of ours and not more s*#*e written by the press!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Looks good on YouTube, hope we aren’t signing him solely on that though.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Corky

I would think this has legs, he’s a well rounded striker in the Rafa mould to play as a 1 up top, and the right age, with surely a realistic fee if they sent him on loan last year.

This link excites me! 🙂

• AncientC

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Krul, Porto were apparently the reason the signing of Mitrovic was delayed – although how true that is I don’t know.

Swap deals are quite rare, but if Benitez needs to get full value for Mitrovic, a swap deal would be a good way to go. Not many clubs (I am assuming) will pay full upfront for Mitrovic, and Benitez you would imagine wants the full money/value now.

• Our Toon

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM

He’s a quick player but also strong, would be a very good signing if we get him. Glad to see some good movement here.

Jayphoto – I’ve got to disagree with you on Maguire and Laschelles comparison, there just isn’t one to be made unfortunately. Maguire is very confident on the ball, can pick a pass but also go past players. He’s as good in the air and makes less errors in positional sense as our skipper. Maguire is hands down a better a player all round

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Oh wow, I do know this lad after all. (thought I didn’t). Remember him from the AFCON games and thought he was good then. Forgot all about him! Definitely one I’d be happy with.
    If this is true then hopefully we’ll see less worrying on the blog. We’ve not been linked with him every day, yet sounds like it might be distinctly possible. Under the radar seems to be Rafa’s way of dealing and if so, what have we got to worry about? Trust in Rafa and we won’t go far wrong.

• martoon

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:46 PM

I’ve actually wondered whether the club purposely leak information about being interested in a certain player to act as a smoke screen while they pursue their real target. A few whispers to Lee Ryder is all it would take!

• hibbit

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM

still a lot of gossip down here in yarm about ben gibson coming to us !!!

• Bambams

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Yes please….

I would be very happy with this lad

• Bambams

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Strong links that we have agreed to sign Afriyie acquah

• kc2012

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Very good player Aboubaker but were probably only being linked with him now because he was playing on ITV Yesterday for Cameroon in Confederations cup. I actually said to My friend Yesterday during the game ‘watch Newcastle be linked with Aboubaker, Bassagog and the goalkeeper now’. Thats honestly what usually happens with us, and here it is. Would love us to get him though.

• dazza

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Talisca…

• andrewsneill

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I know it’d blow a sizeable hole in our budget if successful but seemingly Celtic would entertain bids of £25-30m for Moussa Dembélé who i think looks an absolute class act. I know we need quite a few new faces but i’d rather sign someone like him (as I’m suspect would Ashley with the potential resale value) instead of 3 £10m players who are only slightly better than what we already have