Newcastle Miss Out On Loan Deal For Tammy Abraham

News tonight in the Mirror that Swansea City have won the race to sign Tammy Abraham on loan for next season, after they were fairly late arrivals to the scene, with Newcastle and Brighton the early favorites to sign the 19 year-old striker.

In fact Newcastle were clear favorites to sign the teenager a few weeks ago, but there were always doubts in the mind of Abraham himself that he would get enough playing time at Newcastle.

It seems the presence of former Chelsea coach Paul Clement tipped the balance for Swansea, so hopefully Rafa Benitez will now turn to another striker – maybe also on loan – to try to bring them into the club.

19 year-old Tammy Abraham has chosen Swansea for loan deal

Paul Clement was the right hand man to Carlo Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge when the Italian was there from 2009 through 2011.

Newcastle have been working on this deal for a good few weeks and it’s now been wasted time, but you win some and you lose some.

🙂

We’d prefer it if Rafa brought in strikers that were either signed by Newcastle outright or where we had them on loan but with an option or obligation to buy at the end of the season.

In the case of Abraham it seemed to all be to Chelsea’s favor if he became a better player under the world-class coaching of Newcastle manager Benitez.

Newcastle would also gain of course, from the goals he would have scored for us but it was a long term proposition.

It’s been a frustrating time for Newcastle and about one or two weeks ago it didn’t really look like the young striker was all that keen to join Newcastle – but that’s now in retrospect.

What do you think?

• jazzyp

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:51 PM

Good

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM

Judging by the comments about Tammy on here for the past week or two I don’t think many people will be disappointed to hear this. Scratch his name off the transfer list!

• toontaff2

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM

Swansea – ha ha! 😆

• jazzyp

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM

Welshy will be loving it now

• WWSBRD

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM

Shame best loan option out there and if we arent getting him it’ll hit our budget hard, strikers arent cheap

• SPRINGY

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM

If we have changed our focus to aboubakar…im guessing the club were informed a few days ago….wonder if that gives arma a chance?

• Thump

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM

• sing in the corner

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM

Hmmm…I will follow his Swansea loan with interest then. Curious to know what swung it for him.

• sing in the corner

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Llorente is there still isn’t he? He will be first choice.. Then Ayew?
    But maybe Tam has been told he will play a lot of games …

• SPRINGY

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:13 PM

Sing
    I would think they have paid the money they wanted and probably gauranteed first team football….this deal aside i think swansea myt struggle next year.

• SPRINGY

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:14 PM

Sing
    If siggy is on the move that will open up a position to be filled i suppose.

• WWSBRD

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM

sing
    Llorente wants out and Ayew is crap mate pretty sure Tammy would play more there than with us

• RolandoOverhead

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM

Can’t honestly say I’m disappointed and certainly can’t dis’ the lad on his choice. He needs to play to progress and develop, wouldn’t have had as much chance of that especially if the likes of Abuobakar are joining.
    Glad the speculation is over more than anything else.

• WWSBRD

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM

Plus I bet its easier to dictate terms to a young manager than a seasoned one

• sing in the corner

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Thought he was insisting no decision til the end of England’s U21 campaign?

• Novocastrian66

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Not fussed in the slightest. Watched him yesterday and while his hold up play was good and he had some nice skills, he cannot pass the ball therefore his initial hold up play was wasted. Good luck to him but it not as though he would be a first choice.

• sing in the corner

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Springy
    I thought they would continue to struggle too. But Clement got them ticking a bit at the end of the season so who knows. Losing Sig Sig will cripple them like, if they can’t find a good replacement.

• magpie_in_ohio

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:23 PM

Good riddance. Not the least bit disappointed as he clearly didn’t want to be here…

• martoon

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM

To be honest if not us then I thought he would chose Brighton. A good manager, a chance to play as Murray won’t play every minute of every game and it is not to far from London. I guess knowing Paul Clement has swung it for Swansea.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Abrahams – not seen enough of him to judge.
    I normally enough the transfer gossip but it’s got way passed thd point where it’s not worth even reading it. It just comes across like made up cap in the vast majority.
    I’m just going to wait for rafa to get who he wants and only believe it when they are wearing the shirt.

• AncientC

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:34 PM

Another masterclass in negotiations skills from Charnley again no doubt. Not great going after the Townsend debacle. Thankfully Atsu had a buy option, otherwise that one could have turned into a summer saga too.

• ToonMatt

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM

I’m not bothered by this and don’t think we should be loaning players off the so-called big clubs to help develop their players.

Adam Armstrong is the same age as him, he’s our player and loves the club, I’d rather see him in the squad than some cockney, Bling boy who doesn’t give a sh*t about our club.

• voodoo85

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Not gonna judge Abraham’s ability to put it in the net as haven’t seen him play much but not one i’m sorry to see get away from us. Was only a loan with apparently no signing option so we’d just be training him and developing him for Chelsea.

If his desire was to play in a different part of the country (or a different country entirely) then so be it, we don’t know the full details about game time commitments and such.

If he goes to Swansea and they then have an option to sign and he bangs in 20+ goals for them then yeh i’d wish we had got him but from what i hear that’s not the case so not a biggie as far as im concerned

• north east lincs toon

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:40 PM

Watched Ruben semedo tonight on this performance we’ve not missed out well out done by Spain

• jimmysmith

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM

I suppose loans are a necessary option for us because having been relegated we aren’t in the financial position to buy outright all the players we need. We will I suppose need a couple of seasons of loans and canny signings before we fully recover, so in that sense missing out on Abrahams might prove a bit of a loss for us, whether you like the way he or his agent conducted themselves, albeit based on “tabloid” reports, which frankly are comics.

• Munster Mag

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM

Not in the least bit disappointed

• B120WNY

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Agree with the sentiment on here. I’d imagine geography would have played a part. He was at Bristol last year and Swansea is only another hour along the M4. One straight road to west Landan innit.

• sing in the corner

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM

Forget him… Move on… Next!! 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM

Tammy who??

• m1c4a3l

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Not bothered to be honest about this one. I think someone mentioned yesterday about the chances he had in the championship to capitalise on, well he will not get that many in the prem.
    His game is going to have to change to get goals in prem. Seems a rather one dimensional striker going off his performances last season.

• gillmag

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:39 PM

Doesn’t want to commit to us therefore I don’t want him here…move on.

• welshgeordie9

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM

WWSBRD
    Jun 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM

sing

Llorente wants out, where did you get that from Sherlock.

• Bobbybee

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Nice one Shirebrook marra! Saw you’d applied for your ST. What options have you put for your seat then mate?

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Bobby,
    Put down Gallowgate East Corner and Gallowgate Main Stand mate. Get in or as close to the singing section as I can. If not then I’m sure they will contact me to ask to choose elsewhere.

• AncientC

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:54 PM

I noticed it was Neil Moxley that wrote the piece about Abraham deciding on Swansea. He also reported on the 3rd of June that Van Dijk was joining Man City for £60 million. 17 days later, Van Dijk still isn’t a Man City player, in fact he is being heavily linked with other clubs.

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM

The pay monthly option is good too!

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM

Right…. horizontal time machine is calling.
    Night folks! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Aye, don’t blame you mate, get amongst it. Make some effing noise!!!!! 🙂 I’d go the text myself but can’t stand up that long and nobody sits over there.
    Had a nice surprise myself today. Over the last year I’ve been getting more and more buckled over with my back. Started to resemble a famous bloody bell ringer. Anyway, following a really bad night I got up and to my absolute amazement I stood up virtually straight. No big deal to most people, but I’m buzzing. Maybe the worst is finally over at long last. Not getting too excited, because it could fracture again I suppose. Light at the end of the tunnel at last. 🙂
    To be honest I genuinely thought that was me for the rest of my life, so this has come as a real bonus. Might get myself down to SJP to see if I can get a trial!

• lochinvar

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:04 PM

Well “News in the Mirror” eh ?
    That’s a first for them then

So Chelsea and an ex Chelsea coach have colluded to do a private deal that suits his agent for a Chelsea wannabe – that’s novel

Pleased it’s all over, I really can’t be arsed to watch paint dry

• sing in the corner