Newcastle Will Face Competition To Sign This Talented Young Defender

Calum Chambers was identified early in the summer as a player Rafa Benitez thought would be a good buy for Newcastle United.

The former Southampton youngster had come through the famous Saints Academy and had been sold to Arsenal in the summer of 2014 for around £16M.

After doing well initially at the Gunners and making 36 appearances (22 in Premier League) if his first season at the Emirates, his appearances started to tailed off in his second season when he made just 22 appearances and only 12 in the Premier League.

Calum Chambers in action for Arsenal

So last season he was sent out on loan to Middlesbrough where he had a good season and played well at right back making 26 appearances in total with 24 in the Premier League.

Now there’s a report out today in the Star that the Arsenal defender is wanted by his former club Southampton and that he could soon be going back at St. Mary’s.

It’s almost certain that Arsenal will be looking to get their £16M back on Chambers and it remains to be seen if Newcastle are willing to pay that much for the 22 year-old  with Rafa wanting around eight first team players in total brought in this summer.

But Calum is just the type of good technical young player who Rafa could make into a much better player at Newcastle and he can also play at center-back.

Calum could be worth a lot more than £16M in a few years time, especially with the transfer fees starting to spiral out of control this summer.

You always need to look at the big picture with some of the these things.

Maybe we could even get the lad in on loan for next season, with an option to buy him next year?

What do you think?

• 2_goal_tino

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:04 PM

From last thread…fairly sure we must have an agreement with Aboubakar that if he plays awfully at the Confederations Cup and drives down his transfer fee we’ll give him a bumper wage packet. Go through this guy’s feed to see clips of the 5/6 chances (at least 2 of which were sitters) he has just missed in the Cameroon v Australia game…. https://twitter.com/ketchell

• Pootle2118

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM

£16M is a bargain for this kid. I can’t think of any reason not to try and sign him

• Markaccus

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM

From last re Welshies rafa comment..

How very mean-spirited of you. Why would you want that to happen? Strange.

• Australian Pie

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Yep just watched Australia vs Cameroon and Aboubakar was useless. My first time seeing him play and I was very unimpressed… Hope we have better lined up…

• Salmon toon

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Cheers! I’m not the only one who underwhelmed by Abubeker.Couldn’t bothered reposting from earlier.He isn’t good enough to lead the line, simple.

• Markaccus

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Its always a good idea to judge a player on one international game…….

Come on, people. Calm down. It’s not even July yet.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Lmao. Some people deciding a player isn’t good enough after seeing them in action once in an international tournament. Should support arsenal, would fit in very well with their fans.

• Oldgit1

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Disappointed with welshies comment, I know he gets a fair amount of abuse, but have stuck up for him against the times he got ganged up against. Always thought he had NUFC in his heart. Ah well life goes on

• hibbit

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM

welshgeordie9
    Jun 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM

I would laugh my backside off if Rafa struggles to get players in.

welshgeordie9
    Jun 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM

I would laugh my backside off if Rafa struggles to get players in.

welshgeordie9
    Jun 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM

I would laugh my backside off if Rafa struggles to get players in.

Markaccus
    nowt strange about it just a scum bag wum showing his true colours

• Markaccus

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Oldgit

Exactly. I don’t understand where his comment even came from. It’s spiteful. But, As you say, life goes on.

• Markaccus

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Hibbit.

Yeah maybe. I used to think he got too much stick, but after that statement, he can get on with it.

• hibbit

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:38 PM

always had my suspicions but that confirmed it for me 100%

• Markaccus

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM

He’ll be back soon to say something that he thinks is funny and clever. I suggest we completely ignore it. These shoukd be exciting times coming up for nufc. I want to try and enjoy it.

• martoon

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM

I watched the second half of the Cameroon game and yeah Aboubakar missed a few chances one of them was a sitter. However he looked lively, was a handful and got himself into some good positions. I’d like to see him again before I dismiss him out of hand but it wasn’t a great first impression!

• Australian Pie

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM

Not judging him fully by one game, simply stating he was very poor in the game I watched.

• martoon

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:54 PM

Hey Markaccus – how’s it feel to be officially a grumpy OLD man? 😀

• welshgeordie9

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:15 PM

I will take that back in what i said earlier, it meant to be a joke but I only said it be because I haven’t got the best of patience in waiting for something to happen, I’m like that will all things, not the smartest of comments I’ve ever made, hope Rafa do get the players he want.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM

welsh

If that’s your idea of humour don’t give up the day job