Newcastle Now Favorites To Sign This Very Experienced Premier League Midfielder

Sky Bet have now put Newcastle as the favorites to sign Liverpool defensive midfielder Lucas Leiva at 7/2.

Lucas is the longest-serving player of the current LIverpool side, with Rafa Benitez having signed him from Brazilian club Gremio in July, 2007 for £5M.

We have been linked with Lucas for a while now with Rafa Benitez looking to bring some Premier League experience into the squad for the upcoming season.

30 year-old Liverpool defensive midfielder Lucas Leiva

Lucas has turned out to be an excellent player for the Reds and has played a massive 346 times for the club with 7 goals and 21 assists,

And the player is still only 30 and played 31 times last season with one goal and played at center-back in quite a few of those games for Jurgen Klopp.

Here’s the current voting on SkyBet with Lucas maybe moving back to his former club Gremio, but surely he could do a good job for Newcastle over the next three years?

Newcastle 7/2
Gremio 5/2
Celtic 7/1

The news earlier this summer was that Jurgen Klopp wanted him to stay at the club, probably because of his ability to read a game, play in  a number of different positions and of course his massive experience.

It looks like Lucas has one year left on his contract at Liverpool, although some well respected outlets such as  www.transfermarkt.com list his contract as being up at the end of this month and he would then become a free agent.

But it could well be the case, as a reward for his great service at the club, even if his contract has one year left to run that Liverpool will release him as a free agent this summer, so he could get a decent deal at his next club.

We’d love that next club to be Newcastle and have Rafa Benitez go out and sign this player.

What do you think?

• Our Toon

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Interesting report in the shields Gazette, of all the places as well. I’m cynical with this mob running the show hence my thoughts going straight to……is Ashley going to use Charnley as the person he hides behind.

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:52 AM

surely Gremio are favorites? 5/2 is shorter than 7/2?

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM

having just checked sky bet, we are 7/4, not 7/2. therefore we are indeed favorites to sign him

• martoon

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Maybe I don’t watch Liverpool enough but I’ve never really rated Lucas Leiva. I’m pretty sure the reduced odds are because of the Rafa connection rather than any real interest.

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Martoon

yeah I’d guess it was that too. we have been linked with a few ex-rafa-liverpool players. Squirtle was linked the other day.

• nightfa11

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:58 AM

I think it’s true we’re waiting for July 1st – the end of this year to announce new signings.. So the books look ok for the Chinese.. I think the agreement is already done with our new signings.. Well, most of them anyway..
    As I said yesterday, Ashley can’t afford to lose rafa. If he does and also if we don’t have a competitive squad the value of the club will drop. I think we’re good, we just need to wait until Saturday /Monday.. All we need is a little patience 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Miles Starforth, Shields Gazette, has good sources, doesn’t he?

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Ron
    Yeah… red n brown 😀

• hibbit

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM

nightfa1

the fans unrest would make the indian mutiny look like a sunday school picnic IF rafa was forced out

• nightfa11

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Hibbit..

🙂 Agreed. Another reason why I belive signings are already lined up.

• WWSBRD

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Ashleys PR guy earning his money again this morning but it’s certainly true because it’s positive…thats how it works isn’t it?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Would be a good signing in some games him and Hayden would play together providing a solid base for the attacking 4 to do their thing could even mean Shelvey moving to no 10 a bit like how Rafa had Gerrard playing for a few seasons behind a pacy striker

• Bobbybee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Never used to rate Lucas until I decided to really watch him, to see what others saw that I didn’t. Pure grafter with a surprising amount of skill for the job he does. I’d certainly understand Rafa if he brought him in.
    Appears there was very little – as in nothing – to the Rafa crisis #5 of yesterday. Just rumours from a bitter journo. Well there’s a surprise – not.
    People should show more respect to Rafa imo. He’s not going to walk away every five minutes. He’s a top pro and has a job he wants to crack on with. He shouldn’t have to keep coming out and reassuring flaky fans who see a bogeyman around every corner.
    Hopefully we’ll see a breakthrough this week and maybe go s full week without a meltdown. One can but hope. 🙂

• goalseeker

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM

When have Newcastle supporters ever had patience??? I have lost count of the number of players we are going to sign we will defo need a larger stadium just to get them all in :-). I for one am prepared to wait until the window opens and see who Rafa brings through instead of feasting on every whisper generate from journalists with noting else to fill their comment with. I think we are entering a very exciting period for our beloved club I even have faith in Ash to let Rafa get on with it. I do not expect a top 4 finish Leicester took a couple of seasons wouldn’t it be great to emulate them but not their fall from grace. Just get us players who want to [play and play for possibly the best supported club in the league. Howway the lads!!!

• goalseeker

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:10 AM

I should have said I have only supported the club for sixty-five (65) years so may have a bit of experience to draw on. Also good luck to Ed thanks for your site

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Wws

Your right up to a point about some people only believing the positive news. However, there are just as many who only want to believe the negative. Oh for a balanced view :-F

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM

That was meant to be 😀

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Shirebrook

Ouch!

• WWSBRD

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Markaccus
    Aye ur not wrong but I can’t help but laugh when every reporters a liar until 1 says something positive

Likely truth on both sides about another transfer fall out. It’s what Rafa does though

• nightfa11

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM

Seriously, the more I think about it.. Lets say rafa walks.. Then what? No top manager will want to work with Ashley.. The best we could hope would be kiennar.. Which means relegation.. And the club value slashed in half.. Ashley might be a lot of things, but he’s not an idiot..least not business wise..

• TyneMouth

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM

The Greek Philosopher, Aristotle, once proclaimed that ‘NATURE ABHORS A VACUUM’ and this blog is the proof of his theory.
    If any space is identified as being ’empty’ Nature will automatically attempt to fill it, so the theory goes.
    In the case of this blog, in the absence of any real or credible facts, there would appear to be a knee jerk inclination for many posters to make statements with absolutely no substance.
    Next week’s news; Benitez joins Sunderland, exclusive!

• Bobbybee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Looks like Arsenal are clearing their decks, so expect some massive signings coming in there. Seems he’s pretty much looking to sell most of his old guard. Would be more than happy to see The Ox in black n white stripes, or Walcott. Seen him demolish our defence more than once! Pity they’re beyond our reach this season, but definitely curious to see who Wenger brings in. No doubt the transfer records will be broken again this summer, so despite a slow start the big money will start to flow soon enough.

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM

wws

If i was going to take a guess at what the truth was (and a guess is all it would be lol) I would speculate that both rafa and mash were frustrated, and that Churners is dragging his heels.

• WWSBRD

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:32 AM

nightfa
    Rafas not going to leave mate he doesn’t quit he gets sacked

And plenty of managers would take the town job no doubt about it maybe not a seen as world class manager but someone like Wagner etc would walk through fire for it

• martoon

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:32 AM

goalseeker – a subject of much debate but actually the transfer window opened on 9th June. However most players contracts run until the end of June and of course it is the holiday season which is why I think most of the transfer action starts on 1 July.

• AncientC

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:33 AM

” Ashley might be a lot of things, but he’s not an idiot..least not business wise..”

Oh but he is. SD is worth less than a third of its value from 3 years ago. He has relegated Newcastle twice with his idiocy. The only smart moves made with his money is when he finally employs somebody smart enough to invest/exit it properly.

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Mark

But why is Charmless dragging his heels? Is it because he’s working to Ashley’s remit?

• WWSBRD

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Markaccus
    Might be mate I don’t know. Personally I think Rafa is putting it out there early so what happened in Jan doesn’t happen again, I don’t think there’s been a new fall out just some lines being drawn

As for Charnley I’ve no idea might be him but he gets his orders from Ashley and the delays are very similar to ones we’ve had before he was ‘in charge’

• lesh

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:38 AM

WWSBRD

Yes, Bullchit Bishop’s been on the case briefing the press.

If it turns out that Ashley is keen to fully support Rafa in the market, then either Charnley’s being over cautious or Ashley’s place-man, Brown’s holding things back by not signing off deals.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Hibbit. Made me laugh.
    Ashleys comment stinks of spin. But if he’s leaving charnley to it with his remit in place he could actually be applying pressure. Albeit unfairly if charnley is working to a restricted budget and recruitment policy.
    I think July 1st we will see one way or another. Lots of signings or silence which for me means more than we are being told.

• Markaccus

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Ron and WWS

I just sometimes get the impression that Churners takes his remit too litterally. “Get the best deal possible” seems to translate to “Don’t pay out at all if you have to even slightly compromise”. Like I say, its just my guess but in my mind that’s where the frustration stems from.

• AncientC

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM

There is something quite fitting about Ashley mentioning pennies, when speaking about how much money Benitez can have through the club “generating” its own funds.

With Ashley taking about one of the revenue streams that directly “generates” funds – Benitez is effectively being hamstrung. Proportionately, Benitez is working with the club that generates the least funds in the whole of the Premier League.

• AncientC

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:45 AM

*taking away* not ‘taking about’

• WWSBRD

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:48 AM

lesh
    That’s him Bishop couldn’t recall his name. I’ve no idea though maybe it’s just agents etc slowing things down…odd that we didn’t have slow deals last summer though but as soon as it’s about building a team deals take a lot longer

Markaccus
    I’ve no idea mate I still don’t know much about Charnley other than what he was before he got the big job and the odd story of him being less than nice

• Bobbybee

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:50 AM

So, the first club to install safe standing in England has been given to go ahead. Only 550 to start with, but hopefully that will be watched very carefully and emulated elsewhere. Not for me, my standing days are long gone, but there’s no question it helps generate a better atmosphere so hopefully it’ll be a success. If I was able, there’s no question where I’d go to watch the game. Safe standing all day long. Be interesting to see which is the first PL club to take the plunge.