Newcastle Could Lose Out On This Target Because Of More Indecision


Everton FC seems to be going crazy in the transfer market this summer and there is news today in the Portuguese media from A Bola that the Toffees have had a bid of €16M (£14M) rejected by Benfica for 28 year-old Newcastle central midfield target Andres Samaris.

The offer was turned down.

The Toffees have spent around £85M this summer including paying out £25M yesterday with £6M potential add-ons for Burnley center-back Michael Keane

Michael Keane became Ronald Koeman’s sixth summer signing after Spanish U21 striker Sandro Ramirez had also joined from Malaga for £5.3M earlier yesterday – another player we had been linked with earlier this year.

28 year-old midfield target Andres Samaris – Everton have bid for him

Other players signed by Koeman include former Sunderland goalkeeper Jordan Pickford for an initial £25M, midfielder Davy Klaassen for £4MM, forward Henry Onyekuru for £7M.

Andreas Samaris has been linked strongly with Newcastle this summer and it looks like he will be allowed to leave Benfica after joining them three years ago from Olympiacos for £8.8M.

A week ago O Jogo were reporting Newcastle and Benfica were still trying to negotiate a fee for Samaris and say Newcastle offered €15M (around £13M) for the 28 times capped Greek International with Benfica turning down the offer.

They report Benfica still want the full €20M for their player – which is around the £17.6M – more than what Everton are said to have bid.

But if we now have an auction between the two Premier League clubs for Samaris that would not be good for Newcastle.

And with Everton trying to move in to hijack any deal with Newcastle,  that should ask the question of the Magpies how high a priority is is Andreas Samaris as a transfer target this summer?

Newcastle could even move to cheaper alternatives and we could pay the price for showing indecision again, much like we bartered for weeks before we agreed the deal to sign Florian Lejeune from Eibar.

Fans are expecting more signings  at the moment since  it was learned that Managing Director Lee Charnley had told the Fans Forum a week ago that signings would be announced soon by Newcastle.

That started with long term target Florian Lejeune coming in for £8.8M on Monday and that signing seemed to be well received by fans, although as we said earlier it took weeks (and weeks)  for Newcastle to agree terms with Eibar.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr