This Newcastle Prodigy Is A Special Player But Also A Special Person

We read the handwritten letter yesterday from our very own Freddie Woodman that he sent to England kit man Pat Frost for his help and guidance during England’s World Cup win at the U20 level in South Korea when we beat Venezuela 1-0 in the final.

In that game Freddie Woodman was outstanding  for England in the second half of the game when Venezuela put the pressure on and he saved a penalty with just 15 minutes with a brilliant save when everything was on the line for England.

But Freddie is showing he’s also mature beyond his years as a person and there are not many 20 year-olds who could write a heart-felt letter like he did to Pat Frost that would have warmed his heart – sorry for the pun.

When I was 20 many years ago – I was still working out how not to keep walking into those brick walls!

🙂

Freddie Woodman – And U20 World Cup winner and Newcastle goalkeeper

Pat was obviously touched by the letter and sent out a tweet on his Twitter account – but it also shows you what Freddie does behind the scenes.

Here’s the tweet from Pat:

And here’s the note from Freddie if you have difficulty reading the handwritten note:

Frosty

The football man.

I would like to take the time to appreciate the help and support you gave me during our time away. I’d like to thank you for the time, effort and hard work you and the rest of the staff put in to help us achieve our goal.

To share winning the World Cup with you and team is a great honour.

Your quality of work, love for football and ability to light up the room, Frosty, is something that will live with me for a long time

Thank you, Freddie Woodman.

‘Sweep the sheds’.

The last two lines are not shown in the tweet above.

Freddie will be loaned out to a Championship club next season to get much needed first team experience as part of his continuing development as a top goalkeeper in the making.

But with this lad being so ambitious and willing to do whatever it takes to be successful, you’ve got to think the 20 year-old has an excellent chance of becoming Newcastle’s number one goalkeeper in the not too distant future.

What do you think?

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM

We have apparently bid for an unnamed creative midfielder. Isn’t that Ryan Giggs? 😀

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM

ED’s on song!!
    No sign of Le Gouff.
    Surely released players need a pre-season somewhere?

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Markaccus

That could be Jacob Murphy, mind if it is it could be argued that we’re going for the wrong twin, Jacob is predominantly right sided where we have Ritchie whereas Josh is predominantly left sided where we are weaker.

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Spoof.

Yeah could be. Thing is, the media know we are looking for wingers and a 10, so they are possibly just guessing.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Maybe I’m being thick but I don’t get the joke ‘Sweep the sheds’?

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Shirebrook

I’m not sure mate what to do. I’ve been in the Platinum that long I think I’m part of the fixture and fittings lol.
    I must admit I look over towards the strawberry corner with envy sometimes when there in full voice.

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Soccer Sauce @soccer_sauce

We understand that #NUFC retain a solid interest in Michy Batshuayi and things could progress quickly once Lukaku moves to Chelsea #CFC
    Haha ya gotta love em

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM

The font of football knowledge and guardian of sacred fan integrity Jib will be all over the sauce on this one. I remember his conviction we had leapfrogged Stoke to bag Shaquiri. Hmm. And how our nearly winning back in August 3015 bode well for the season. Great football mind.

• Tsunki