Newcastle To Sign Promising Young Arsenal Defender

Newcastle want to strengthen Peter Beardsley’s U23 squad this summer and we have agreed to sign 20 year-old Arsenal defender Stefan O’Connor on a two-year deal as reported in ESPN.

The 20-year-old 6ft 1ins defender who can play at right back or center-back, became a free agent this summer when his contract ran out and he was released by the Gunners.

But Arsenal will still be due some compensation for their player since Stefan has come through the Arsenal Youth Academy joining the club from Crystal Palace back in 2010.

20 year-old Arsenal defender Stefan O’Connor

O’Connor has apparently already been training with Newcastle according to the ESPN report and after Rafa Benitez has taken a look at him it looks like he’s impressed the boss – and Stefan will now sign a two year deal at the club.

He has played twice for the England U17 team and once for the Arsenal first team back in December 2014.

That was in a Champions League match against Galatasaray, when he replaced former Newcastle right back Mathieu Debuchy in that game.

Stefan plays usually at center-back but he can also play at right back so here is another young player we have signed who with good coaching could well become a first team player in the future.

That’s exactly what Newcastle need to do – bring young players like Stefan through the ranks.

What do you think?

• toontaff2

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Good stuff, third new signing!

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:47 AM

Expat

If we were to sign Bas Dost (which I still have a hard time believing for the fee mentioned) I think Gayle would end up playing in the no.10 position. He’d be just as prolific there playing off a big man, and Rafa wouldn’t have to change his system

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM

MARK

I actually think we have a reasonable midtable squad as it is. In spite of some on here not rating him, I think Mitro has the quality to lead the line. Given his age, he can improve and with the right service, he could score a hatful

• Jib - Jazzy's xenophobic mardy bitch

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I think this kid has been recommended by Isaac Hayden

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM

I know he’s a youngster, but I quite like the sound of this lad. Versatility is important in the modern game. He may find himself on the bench for a few senior games this season.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Markaccus

Do you honestly believe the club will pay £35 million for Bas Dost.

• toontaff2

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM

I wonder what Peter Beardsley will say, to welcome him to the club 😮

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Expat

I hope you’re right re Mitro. I think it might be last chance saloon for him and Perez. I really hope Perez eventually makes it. He’s got bags of talent, but has been very inconsistent so far.

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:53 AM

MARK

I agree. I think it is unlikely we will get Dost but if we did, what about this for a starting line up

Darlow

Yedlin, Lascelles, Dejeune, Dummett

Hayden, Shelvey,

Gray, Perez, Atsu

Dost

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Welsh

I will re-quote myself, which should answer your question 😀

“If we were to sign Bas Dost (which I still have a hard time believing for the fee mentioned)”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:55 AM

Another bargain basement player that didn’t cut it at Arsenal!

How about signing players we really need…if it’s true we need to sell first then I am a bit worried. If history tells us anything then we will selling our assets because no one wants our deadwood (they will be shipped out on loan or they will end up being given yet another chance)

Hooraaaayyy!

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM

MARK

Perez and Mitro are probably more used to the premiership than the championship.

Another option up front might be to bring in Fernando Torres for a season. He is on a free and contributed a lot to AM last season

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Expat

If they all hit the ground running that would be a pretty strong team. Assuming we’d still have Gayle and Ritchie on the bench, it would mean we had a little bit of depth to the match day squad.

• Jib - Jazzy's xenophobic mardy bitch

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:58 AM

Expat
    You could well be right
    Unfortunately Rafa doesn’t seem to trust Big Al
    You must have worked with young men whose
    eyes you could see glazing over and their
    minds wandering when you were trying to instruct
    them.
    Mitro seems like one of those

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:59 AM

Expat

A mate of mine has said exactly that about Mitro and Perez being more suited to the prem. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you’re both right.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM

Have we bought Gray since yesterday?

I just hope we won’t be playing 4-4-1-1 all season

• welshgeordie9

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:01 AM

Markaccus

Sorry mate, half asleep.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Fernando Torres has signed on a Atletico Madrid

• toon1707

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Expatmag that is a good line up my only change would be Ritchie in for either Gray or Atsu as I think Ritchie is better than both

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM

JESPER

How about the following:

Hanley to Sheffield Wednesday……£5.5m
    Darlow to Reading……£5m
    Murphy to Norwich…..£3m
    Lazaars back to Palermo…..£2m
    Gouffran released
    Diame to Hull…….£4m
    Colback to Villa……£6m
    Riviere to anyone

Not exactly first team regular starters but we could raise a bob or two

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:03 AM

what about ben gibson for gayle both valued at £20m ?
    would you do a swap ?

Expat
    mitro will be sold as soon as we get the price we want ❗

• Markaccus

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Welsh

No worries, I assumed you’d missed that bit. Supposedly we will have another 2 tied up by the end of the week (not sure if it includes this young lad). This season i will be happy with players who can consolidate our place in the prem (maybe with one exciting signing). Next season will be the time to bring in the superstars imo.

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:08 AM

The squad we currently have is stronger than at leaht galf a dozen squads in the premierahip in my opinion.

We also have the distinct advantage over other clubs that we have a highly experienced and sucessful management and coaching team.

Jesper

No. We havent signed Gray nor have we signed Dost but they would be my choice if they were available.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Expat…Personally I don’t want to lose Darlow and I don’t get this chasing a new keeper with more PL experience. We have Krul.

Rafa sometimes lose track of what we need…at Liverpool he kept buying LBs and was told eventually to basically use what he got.

But if we can ship the others out at something close to those fees I’ll buy a foreign beer 🙂 I’ll assume you don’t want that domestic c***?

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM

HIBBITT

And replaced by?

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:13 AM

expatmag
    honestly don’t know
    just don’t think Rafa rates or trusts him
    i know i would like but thats another story

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:14 AM

Jesper

I would like to keep Darlow too butut Woodman is the better prospect for the future and if we have to generate funds to spend on other areas of the team, Darlow may have to be sacrificed.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM

Expat…Gray would probably be a great addition.

The Dost buy makes perfect sense. It’s just how Ashley operates – he want shell out £9M on year but will gladly pay out £35M.

I always said he wasn’t a great businessman what good at running a brutal sport goods franchise and killing of competition.

When running a football club he just comes off ad a fricking idiot

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM

want = won’t

• expatmag

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM

HIBBIT

It seems that way. I am hoping Mitro comes back reinvigorated with the need to prove a point to Rafa.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM

Bit concerned with some of the players we have been linked with and some might be on loan, hope we are not going with quantity rather than quality.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM

I apologize for post #28. It seems my phone has messed that one up completely. I hope you guys get my point

• welshgeordie9

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Apart from loftus cheek who’s highly rated by Chelsea there’s no one else, don’t know anything about that ex arsenal player.

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM

welshgeordie9
    we have so much deadwood we need both quantity and quality one or the other wont be enough

• Jack Root

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Good Luck Joe.

jesper

We don’t ever get what the hell you’re getting at!
    Personally though I found the ice block challenge great. Why not bring that back.