Rafa Benitez Talks About Why The Foundation Is So Important To Newcastle United’s Future

Rafa Benitez is a great believer in the Newcastle United Foundation which does such  a great job in the area with local charities and represents the face of Newcastle United FC to the local community.

Today was the 1892 Foundation Cup at Benton which brought together some local school teams who played in front of the watching club’s coaching staff.

And of course Rafa Benitez was there as well – as he took just a little time off from coaching the first team squad.

We haven’t heard too much from Rafa since he’s been back for just over a week now, so it’s good to see what he has said.

A somber looking Rafa Benitez congratulates award winner Ryan Hyacinth of Cambois Primary
Rafa’s in deep thought – thinks – this lad can be the next Lionel Messi

This is what the Newcastle manager had to say to the Chronicle today at the 1892 Foundation Cup:

“The staff are always great because you have to do a lot of work behind the scenes.” “It’s great because the link between the club the Foundation and the community are important.”

“They help a lot of people who may not have had the chance.” “But now they have come here and they will remember this forever.” (that’s so true)

“They are quite young but you can see the ability and the technique.” “They still have to develop and learn.”

“Normally you are looking for people who work hard and try, and have the enthusiasm to do what they have to do.”

“After that, you can look for talent and give them advice.” “The main thing is that they enjoy their football.”

“To be fair I was I lucky I watched both finals and there were some great goals.”  “The idea is to keep the connection between the club and the community.”

“You know from experience if you get the shirt of your team and city and you have a day with the Foundation you will keep supporting the team forever.”

“It’s important to bring more young people and we’ll have more supporters in the future.” “Everything the Foundation does now is important.”

“You can help people do little things and that is for us something quite simple.” “You saw a lot of people here and that was the main thing.”

“It’s great if you can produce a player out of the Foundation games.” “It’s not the main idea but at the same time you come across one talent nobody knew about.”

“And then maybe he will be the new Messi!”

If Newcastle are going to be successful in the future and create a flow of top young players through to the first team, then Newcastle must build a scouting team that can spot the good young players and get them to the club – essentially from all parts of the world.

It’s also very important to make sure we get all well most of) the local talent in the north-east and we’ve been guilty of missing out on far too many top north-east players in the past who have joined other clubs.

It’s a very important part of Rafa’s blueprint for the development of Newcastle United into a European powerhouse.

Yes – I mean that – one of the top clubs in Europe – we certainly have the right manager in place to do just that.

Why not?

🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Looking forward to the interview tomorrow.

• jane

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:33 PM

“A somber looking Rafa Benitez”

that’s because he is unhappy about transfers and ready to walk….obviously!

• Our Toon

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Wwsbrd

Good luck in your new job mate, I hope it works out for you and you get a good career buddy.

For what it’s worth People, I enjoy G2’s contribution. It’s always a good laugh.

• WWSBRD

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Must admit my optimistic view of this summer is taking a bit of a nose dive, still dont think we drop again regardless but am not sure the foundations of building are going to be put in place either…might be something else to add to the opportunity missed pile

• WWSBRD

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM

GeordieTwo
    Haha I will keep it under my hat mate

Our Toon
    Cheers mate, fingers crossed

• magspuggy

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Wwsbrd
    Good luck with the new job fella.

• WWSBRD

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM

mags
    Cheers mate appreciated

Anyway boys and girls am going to take my leave, lets hope we get some signing in and cheers us all up

• hibbit

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM

thought you were to old to work …….LOL

great news good luck with the new job

• Ron Knee

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:50 PM

“Sombre”? He’s smiling, surely.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM

the ledge
    Jul 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    Loads of Newcastle fans think the same, I’ve got the balls to say something, stop thinking everything is hunky dory when it’s not, negative bull my arse, you be saying the same when no sod comes in..
    massive balls on ye you welsh dragon .keyboard warrior

Massive Balls, keyboard warrior, no no I’m not like that, i speak my mind at the end of the day it’s all about opinions, that’s what’s blog is for.

• BeeGuy

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Geordie walks into a pub and orders a pint. Innkeeper gives him his Broon and asks him if he knows he has a steering wheel in his pants. “Aye”, says the Geordie, “it’s driving me nuts”.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Premier League newcomers Newcastle United are weighing up the possibility of lodging a bid for PSG goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, according to France Football.

Never heard of him.

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:20 PM

I thought Cookytoons horrendous comedy sketch post was invaluable. His mum “Jane” would be proud.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Herr Hickson: “oh you dirty little Geordies. You haf gone too far now…. You have tested mein patience!!!!! Who has pooped in mein wellies? I will repeat that Who. Has. Pooped. In. Mein. WELLIES?????

• jane

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:43 PM

i rest my case

• GeordieTwo

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:44 PM

I’m sure it’s all a misunderstanding lads. Although Cyril is looking pleased with himself…….

• GeordieTwo

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM

That Rafa knows how to inspire doesn’t he? Taking time out for the Foundation. Amazing man.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM

We can joke around a bit but Rafa is the real deal. A great manager and a great human being as well.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:48 PM

I’m off to torture my guitar teacher now lads. Say a small prayer for him…..

• martoon

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM

From Lee Ryder on Facebook
    “There’s frustration at the club but Rafa seemed in good spirits to me today.”

To other questions he said the club are working hard on other deals and interestingly we were never after Hart but Reina is Rafas no 1 keeper target! Note this is Ryder’s opinion not Rafa’s himself.

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Our Toon, yes, you followed Newcastle when we were good in Europe. You then stopped when we were no longer there. I have no doubt you love to follow trends and it was trendy then. Is that about the same time you converted to Islam? Lots of other middle class white people did the same – because it was trendy. Couldn’t be trendy following a second tier team though. 🙂
    As you are aware, but choose not to listen, Ashley is a necessary evil. He owns the club and there’s NOTHING I can do to change that. I go because I have supported the team all my life. Even when less than ten thousand of us could give a toss about the club. It’s called loyalty, not following trends. (look it up).
    I’ve never cared who owned the club. If you knew your history, you’d know we’ve had a long list of greedy owners, Ashley’s nothing new. I don’t do politics and never have. It’s all about football for me and Ashley doesn’t play. If we were in Division Two, i’d still go. None league, the same.
    And yes, giving to Sky does give the club money. But it also gives every other club money as well, so that kinda counteracts things. So you financially supported Sunderland as much as Newcastle going down that line. Hadn’t you taken that into consideration?
    Not sure where that decade comes from. You previously told me you started going when SBR was in charge, but stopped when Ashley took over.
    Now all you do is slag the club off every opportunity you get. Nothing’s ever good (or trendy) enough is it?
    Run along little trendy boy.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:03 PM

@Welsh – We’ve gotta sign him- he’s the tits.

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Right, let’s see if I can explain this so that even trendy people get it. It’s been my stance all along but somehow, it slips past those who prefer not to LISTEN.
    I want Ashley to sell up. He’s not been good for the club. Not that we’re guaranteed an improvement – like we hoped we’d got when Ashley took over – but he divides the club far too much.
    My only concern on that front is purely football related. (Being purely a football fan). Will new owners give Rafa the same deal? A free reign to control football, like he has now and went to great lengths to ensure. I would happily drive Ashley away myself.
    Now, if Rafa is driven away by Ashley, then I too will be furious. I don’t see it myself, or why hire him on more wages than any other manager we’ve had? If Ashley is mucking Rafa around, I will be furious,but as I haven’t heard that yet, I’ll remain cool.
    What I won’t do us overreact to every poxy rumour I hear in the press. FIVE TIMES since Rafa arrived, people have had him out the door because he’s not happy. Five times that has been FALSE. For want of better words, lies to stir the shyte. And nobody can really dispute that.
    I’ll react when – if – Rafa walks. Until then, he remains in place with the guarantees he fought hard to get. I’m a glass half full type.
    What I won’t do is get my knickers in a twist every time a rumour starts. I need evidence. Only Rafa can provide that evidence and he’s still here.
    If people choose to throw a hissy every time a rumour starts then fine. Knock yourselves out, but don’t expect me to jump on the bandwagon without some reason. Give me FACTS and I’ll react, but not on rumours.
    Any questions?

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM

Of course there’s frustration at the club. Prices have gone mental and caught everyone by surprise. We’ve got limited funds that won’t stretch as far as hoped, so they have to reassess the situation, which is what they’re doing now.
    If we haven’t bought anybody before the season starts I’ll worry then, but right now, with over a month to go, there’s still time for that to change. Plenty of time.

• Our Toon

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:05 AM

Bobby

Let’s get one thing straight, I don’t know you and you don’t know me. You assume alot without knowing anything about fellow bloggers. Btw I’m not white and nor have I ever converted to Islam…..i was born a Muslim to a Muslim family. Why you feel the need to even bring any of that up is well beyond me. It’s a good insight into your narrow mindedness though, explains a lot about you and your mindset. I don’t bring up your current struggles in life or health so please refrain from bringing in a religion I follow. Thank you

As for following our club, I profess I’m probably not the same age as you, born in 83 so I went to a every game as a teen until around February 2013, I didn’t attend games as I had enough of Ashley. I’d already paid my money for the season ticket but refused to attend in protest to signing literally no one and having zero ambition. Unlike you I don’t feel powerless, I had the choice to keep going but decided it was in the best interests of my club to not go as doing so would give him vindication that he was right.

You can see it however you want, all I see is Ashley happy that he can get you to come to games, put bums on seats and you oblige like the good “little boy” (using your words) he wants.

You seem to think your pennies actually mean something or that you have a greater say than those that don’t attend when in reality it means absolutely nothing, he gets more money from tv revenue than you could provide him in 1000 lifetimes. That’s just how significant your input is in terms of revenue.

There’s many ways someone can support something in life, you don’t keep feeding a drug addict drugs because you love them do you? You’d do the opposite and take what I would call a harder stance which is painful for both parties involved. You go to games mate enjoy it, I’ve not told you not to go……dont get all high and mighty at the fact you go and belittle others for the morals they have.

I don’t have to attend games to feel like I have an affinity to my club, I’m not needy like you because essentially that’s how you come across in all this rubbish of you are better than those that don’t attend. You’ve had this kind of chat with others before aswell……when I first starting going to games fans money counted, these days you are nothing but a number……you are insignificant!!

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Damn, when this thread take such a bad turn?

• jimmysmith

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:29 AM

“Rafa’s in deep thought – thinks – this lad can be the next Lionel Messi.” Heh, heh, heh – Ed at his best!

Good fun.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:46 AM

Not my fault you keep changing your story is it? I don’t know when you’re lying now do I?
    Your full of shyte matey. You DID tell me not to go to games and I told you to f off. So there’s a massive lie. You told me I should boycott the club. Why? Because we were shyte? I leave that to fair weather plastics like yourself. Nothing will stop me going to games, certainly not a no mark like you.
    If you think not going to games is supporting your club then you carry on. Ha ha ha ha! What a muppet. ‘Hey, I support Newcastle and show my loyalty by never turning up’. Right, classic.
    You don’t really get football do you? It’s about the players on the pitch, not the politics behind the scene.
    People like you use Ashley as an excuse because you actually can’t be bothered going. It’s fine not going to games, just don’t slagging those off who do. That reputation we’ve got of being loyal fans, do you genuinely think they include armchair fans? Seriously? That’s like the 98% of Manure fans who’ve never been to Old Trafford. They follow the club, like you follow us. You’re not a loyal fan, you’re kidding yourself. Loyal fans are the ones who turn up even when the chips are down.
    I apologise for the Muslim thing, my mistake. I thought you said you converted I must have misheard you. We all make mistakes, just some of us can admit it, some can’t.
    Do I think those 50k who turn up every week are better fans than the likes of you? 100%. They care enough to turn up, why would I think different? That’s who I talk about, not just me. If it was just me, we’d have an average attendance of one you dingbat. We don’t, fifty thousand think like me. That’s the fifty thousand Rafa praises, not the ones at home who allow one man to dictate their support. Ashley is not and never will be NUFC. You have to be a weak person if your hatred for Ashley supercedes your love for the club. I find it pathetic myself. It’s a lame excuse, nothing more.
    Why can’t you just be honest and say something like, ‘I like Newcastle, but really, turning up on miserable nights watching a team lose isn’t my idea of fun’, instead of saying you don’t go because you love the club that much. It’s comical and I doubt one single fan in SJP would give it credence. There’s nothing wrong in admitting you’d sooner spend your money on other things matey, but slagging off those who do go, because Newcastle is their life does you no favours. I would rather follow Newcastle than go out boozing every night. People might laugh at that, but it’s my choice. My money. I spend it how I see fit – as do you – but I don’t make up shyte to justify it. I do it because I want to.
    Does that make me a better person? No. Does it make me a better fan? Yes actually, it does.
    I’ve got lots of friends who follow the club, but don’t go to games. They’re honest though, they tell it how it it is. They think I’m a bit obsessed, but we don’t fall out over it, we have a laugh about it. I miss out on certain nights out that they really enjoy – and I would too – but I make my choice and am happy about it.
    You have no right to expect loyal fans to boycott the club they love, why do you think you have? Don’t deny you told me I was wrong to keep going because you repeated it just a couple of weeks ago. If I could be arsed to go find it I would, but frankly, it’s not important to me. We both really know what you said.
    Seriously, you hardly ever have a good word to say about the club and that’s what bugs me. This feeling of entitlement that we should be a top club,when even as a fan of aged sixty, I can’t remember us ever being a truly top club. We’ve had our moments, but if winning things was that important to me, I’d support somebody else.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Hadn’t realised the bus had alraedy left the stop so I was talking to myself, any way reposts

G2

Please do continue with your comedy efforts. I think of the hyperactive kid in South Park when I read them.

Certainly adds an element of comic chaos to the blog.

Last post before mine was 9.46 pm last night ( unless you’re in the USA) so don’t expect any response to this comment.

Essex Geordie Bill
    Jul 11, 2017 at 12:49 AM
    Perhaps we can have a team of GKs and wingers!!

Essex Geordie Bill
    Jul 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM
    Welsh

I have no axe to grind and have no problem with your input to the blog. But you have declared your allegiance to Swansea and NUFC, so telling Jail he has no idea of who you support, is a bit of an oxymoron.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:03 AM

And the last post was actually Bobby at 12.46, so I got that wrong. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:10 AM

And

Bobby I agree with most of what you say and as I have previously said if he’s still here (MA) when we win cups or lift the EPL trophy then he’ll suddenly be a respected saviour, cos we (or any) fans are a fickle bunch.

That is a confident prediction by me and even though I find him an odious character, will be happy if that does happen.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM

We are really running out of time to land signings. It seems like our plan a b c d of players is not gonna happen. We refuse to pay the price.

It won’t take much for rafa to walk now. It’s gonna be a long hard season.

• Our Toon

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM

Bobby

I can’t be bothered going round the houses with you on something we will never agree on. You obviously can’t have a discussion without throwing your toys out of the pram, it was evident a couple of days ago when you had a rant at expat I believe. Plenty of name calling, plenty of personal attacks, very little IQ, like I say you bought up me being a Muslim for no reason at all. Maybe its because you think it’s trendy to bash Muslims? See what I did with that!!

I standby the needy comment though, its probably why you mention the hospital appointments as much as you do, that’s as far as I’ll go when it comes to any kind of chat without fully stooping down to your level.

I’ll ignore you because I have very little time for attention seekers, especially attention seekers that think they are above others because they attend games. Please respect my wishes and also ignore me.

I’ll repeat for the umpteenth time, I hope you enjoy the upcoming season and I hope you enjoy the games…..come every game this season we will be doing the same thing…..thats probably something you’ll struggle to grasp!! Its funny you call me a liar especially considering that’s something you’ve been accused of many times on here in the past. I wish you all the mate……remember Ashley has changed his ways because he said so!!

Goodnight 😉

• Our Toon

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:43 AM

I probably have told you that you do have power against Ashley if you choose to use it, boycott all mash holding products which does include nufc unfortunately. Think i made that comment after you repeated time and time again you can do nothing. I think I might have called it a defeatist attitude which I also then apologised later on. Since then all I’ve said to you is enjoy attending!!

Hopefully we can find time for each other’s opinions later in the season, no doubt you’ll respond to this which you have a right to do so, I’ll not reply to you tomorrow or going further tonight. Enjoy the season and I hope we all have a satisfactory season which ends in us staying up and with rafa staying. Defo goodnight now, all the best bud

• expatmag

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM

Our toon

Dont waste your time getting embroiled with him. He cant accept anyone elses point of view other than his own. Best to let him live in his own little fantasy world mate before he starts the insults and then runs away.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:56 AM

Bill, he is an odious character. The way he’s handled himself with us is shocking. But I don’t support Mike Ashley, I support Newcastle United. You know where I’m coming from.
    I don’t want to argue with other supporters, but when my committed loyalty is poo-pooed by people who are obsessed with them man, then it gets my back up. I’m proud of my loyal support. Being in the ground with less them 10k of us was a horrible time, but those 10k were the best fans in the country imo. It’s easy following a club in Europe and one winning trophies, it’s when the chips are down that you find out the way path of your loyalty.
    Boycotting will never work when Sky throw billions at the clubs. You only have to look at Bournemouth to know the support level no longer matters when they get that much from the TV deal. They’re better off than us! 🙂 Getting behind the club is a different matter. Those who hate Ashley have lost their love for the club. I get that to an extent, but when they come on here and slag the club off – and the fans, who ARE the club – I bite back. Can’t help it mate. After my family Newcastle United is my life. (Our lass might argue they come first sometimes, but they don’t… often). 🙂 And I definitely refuse to apologise for my loyalty. It’s been bloody hard work over the years. Calling me out for supporting the club regardless is only going to get my goat. I wear my loyalty as a badge of honour, along with thousands of other like minded people. When we get told we’re the problem with the club, because we can see past the politics, then it annoys us. We’re all ST holders where I sit and these things get discussed. When we’re bottom of the table and hear people say ‘the only reason I don’t go is because I love the club so much’ we laugh out loud. Where we are and what league we’re in doesn’t matter to real supporters of ANY club. My mate is a Blyth fan. He goes everywhere with them. Never hear him crying about being a none league club and I respect that so much. No entitlement there matey! 🙂 No club has a right to be anywhere in the league and that’s a fact.
    The Ashley’s of this world come and go. He’ll go one day. If those fans who claim not to go because of him come back then remains to be seen, but if they do it’ll only be until the next crises and then they’ll find another reason not to go if we’re struggling.
    Hopefully he’ll sell to these Chinese investors, but if he does, he’s only managed to sell it because it’s not in debt to the banks,like we were before he took over. His good deeds don’t outweigh the bad, but I can acknowledge both. One thing I do believe, is that he’ll never get that loan back. If he gets it back in the sale of the club then good luck to him, but I don’t believe for one second he’s even expecting it back. I think he wrote that money off a long time ago,whixh is why he’s reluctant to keep putting more in.
    Rafa agrees with his blueprint, which is another reason I don’t think he’ll walk. The club has to wipe its own face and all clubs without a sugar daddy run on the same basis. As from next season that will be possible. This season not so much. This season might be a struggle but we’ll survive because we’ve got a great manager. Then we’ll push on from then.
    Anyway, if he sells up all this will be history. He’s divided the club for far too long and the sooner he sells up the better, but until then, we’ve got to try and make the most of a bad situation. Not turning up is a lame excuse,one used by people who like the club, but won’t admit they’ve got better things to spend their money on. God knows why. Not everyone is as mad as us lot who do keep turning up regardless. Different strokes for different folks.

• expatmag

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:58 AM

BILL @ 30

That wasnt a post mate. It was more like his fcuking biography……lol

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:18 AM

Did expat fart again? Thought I smelled something.
    Our Toon, let’s just agree to disagree matey. We clearly think along different lines. At the end of the day, it’s Ashley doing this and we shouldn’t let him. We both agree we want him out, but trust me, boycotting will never happen. Too many Newcastle fans are too loyal to desert the club because of one man. I live for Saturday and the match and refuse to let him spoil my life. Please understand, it’ s, not just me mate, it’s thousands of us. We don’t support the club expecting to win anything, we support the club for what it represents. Boycotting has never done anything for any club in history and it won’t now because of the TV money. Football’s a sport, not political. I go to watch the football, win lose or draw. I don’t believe we have any entitlement to win anything, we’re another club amongst the 92 professional clubs in the football league. Apart from Chelsea and City, all clubs would love a sugar daddy to take them on, but we can’t always have what we want. That’s life mate. I’ve learned that the hard way.
    There used to be a saying up here. If you hung the shirts out to dry on the pitch, 30k would turn up to watch. Exaggeration obviously, but you get the point they were making. Most people go to games to get away from politics, not to bring politics to the game. We tried boycotting and it didn’t work because people want to go and watch football. The protests showed how many were behind it. I know, because I was there. 3-400 turned up, despite it being widely advertised. So the reality is, like it or not, people in Newcastle put football ahead of politics. Loyalty means a lot more to thousands than boycotting does and that’s been demonstrated. You might not like it mate, but that’s reality.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:23 AM

By the way, your attempts at psychology are pretty lame as well. 🙂 But as you say, you don’t know me.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:27 AM

I know eh, long posts about football. Don’t worry, nobody expects you to manage that, we’re lucky to get any post about football from you, it’s generally BS from someone who knows nothing about the game so just attacks people because they do. The blog gave their verdict on you pal. I need say little more.