Newcastle Priced Out Of The Market For This Transfer Target

Newcastle were reported to have made a bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost of £35M early last week, but it was immediately turned down by his Portuguese club.

Sporting are now said to want the full release clause of €60M (£53M) for their player and if that’s the case there is just no way Newcastle would spend £53M of their transfer funds this summer on just one player – it doesn’t make any sense.

Portuguese newspaper A Bola are now reporting that Sporting will not sell their striker to Newcastle for less than his £53million release clause.

It’s not even clear whether we bid the £35M for 28 year-old Dost or not, but that news was reported in the same newspaper last week.

Rafa wants to bring in as many as eight first team players this summer and he has a budget of maybe
£70M, plus what he can get from selling players who are no longer needed at Newcastle.

So it’s going to be another difficult and busy window for Rafa and Managing Director Lee Charnley to navigate this summer.

Bas Dost was a striker target of Newcastle a couple of years ago when he was still at Wolfsburg and the news at that time was that we bid £9M for him, but for whatever reason he did not join Newcastle.

While at Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga for four seasons from 2012 he scored 48 goals in 117 games so he can certainly score the goals.

Last term Bas had a fabulous season when he scored 36 goals in 41 games in all competitions for Sporting Lisbon.

In his career so far the 28 year-old has scored 161 goals in a total of 321 first team matches.

He only joined Sporting Lisbon for just €10M (£8.8M) last summer and the Portuguese club then put a huge buyout clause of €60M into his contract – which we assume nobody will be willing to pay.

Certainly Newcastle United aren’t.

What do you think?

• SuperShearer

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:18 AM

I think this is another classic example of a player we wanted but weren’t willing to pay that little bit extra to get him over the magical “line”. Now he’s worth 5 times what we would have paid for him, we still want him and we can’t afford him.

MA once again showing that his means of running a business often act against his own self-interest.

• toontaff2

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:18 AM

BREAKING NEWS
    NO BAG DUST signing!

• sing in the corner

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM

The silence from Rafa is deafening…

• jazzyp

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Jail

I’m not trying to bring the past up and I am being sincere here.
    I wish as you have said to others we could go back to past threads from years back, Namely last summer.
    Even when I was in conversation with another blogger and in agreement.. you would still single me out day after day after day.
    It got to the stage one night that I finally snapped at ya and gave you what for because I had had enough.
    Again as you say you have every right to post your views on here and express your opinion. There is a difference however between debating And berating someone.
    For example toonkk might have a negative viewpoint on Nufc but that is his right and his entitlement.
    If you don’t agree with his assessment and it obviously winds you up just skip over his Moniker and don’t engage to the point of insults at one another.
    I’m not having ago at you but already in 24 hr you have had beef with 2 bloggers resulting in insults.
    Life’s to short pal to be wind by other people’s views. Again I find it really easy to skip over lads that I feel offer nothing to this blog.

Keep ya pecker up sunshine and look forward to the incoming transfer activity

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:39 AM

Ed has archived the blog probably in an attempt to create a bit of memory loss ha ha but some posters are not really taking advantage of the amnesty 🙂

• expatmag

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:40 AM

JAZZY

cant be fairer than that

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:41 AM

In answer to your earlier question expat, regardless of the manager we have, the current squad does not have the manpower to keep us in the PL I think. If we don’t get some meaningful business done it will be relegation scrap from game one. It’s not me bring Negative Norman ha ha but reality, it’s not as good as the relegation squad.

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Ashley Out!

Just keeping me hand in.

• lesh

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Sing
    I agree about the lack of words from Rafa and it’s worrying.
    He must surely have had a feel for his likely budget when he and Ashley met at the end of last season and he shouldn’t have been surprised at the way prices etc have gone up – he’s not even commented on that.

We can but wait and see how things pan out but surely even Ashley wouldn’t be so stupid as to go out of his way to pi$$ Rafa off. Would he?

• mactoon

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM

What do I think?

I think there is no way we would have bid £35 million! probably made up by the club to start a bidding war on the player in an attempt to get their quite frankly ridiculous valuation of the player. Football’s gone mad.

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:47 AM

What would we do without these Baz Toss articles? The blog would be a Dead Loss. Sad Dross even. But because of his Bad Cost we are starting to look Sad, Lost.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:48 AM

jazzy,
    I have apologised for my unnecessary outburst to Our Toon last night and it won’t happen again. I certainly didn’t intend to single you out last year but I do find it hard not to post when I don’t agree with someone. This unfortunately does lead to conflict, but it is a blog and the point is discussion, I lost it last night because we’ve listened to OT harp on about the lack of signings and then he starts saying we signed too many last year, how can you win.

• expatmag

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM

TSUNKI

I remember Leicester tipped for relegation 2 years ago. Even WBA last season excelled themselves with, in my opinion, weaker squads than we have.

The squad we have is one of the youngest in the league, yet they have experienced an upturn in fortunes when Rafa arrived (those last 6 games prior to relegation was top 6 form) and a difficult physically trying season in the championship resulting in instant promotion as champions.

I really do feel a few players have points to prove here and whilst a lot of fans seem to harangue the likes of Dummett, Colback, Perez and Lascelles, I feel they are drastically under valued by these fans with regard to their importance to the sqyad.