Newcastle Now Face Huge Competition For This Transfer Target

Sky Sports are reporting that Leicester City manager Craig Shakespeare is hoping he can convince Demarai Gray to stay at Leicester City this summer, even though there is interest from Premier League clubs.

Newcastle are only one of the clubs said to be interested in signing the England U21 winger, with big hitters Tottenham, Everton and Liverpool also in the mix for the talented youngster.

Craig is trying to convince his young player that he will get more playing time next season if he stays with the Foxes.

21 year-old Leicester City winger Demarai Gray

But that may be a hard sell for the Leicester City manager given he didn’t get the amount of playing time he was hoping for last term with only 9 starts.

But Gray was simply outstanding for England in the European U21 tournament in Poland this summer when we eventually lost on penalties to Germany in the final – what again?

🙂

Demarai’s stock is very high at the moment becasue he looked so good for England, with the two Liverpool clubs and Spurs interested in signing him.

If the interest in him is strong from these three top clubs we cannot see Newcastle having much of a chance of getting him to Tyneside.

It would be up to Rafa Benitez to persuade the winger he can make him into a top player if he would just join Newcastle United.

Newcastle have many wingers lined up this summer as the manager wants to add speed and skill on the wings.

But apart from signing Christian Atsu from Chelsea, who was on loan last season, we haven’t managed to get another winger through the door yet.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:22 AM

Personally I think the way to go is getting in the players Rafa want for right positions and then trim.

Always make sure you have the player you want before you sell…we have so many unsellable players that playing the waiting game is just too dangerous.

Hence why it’s so important that you don’t just buy numbers. Neither Lazaar, Gamaz, Murph, Hanley should have had such a long running contract.

Sels was just one of these buys you get wrong

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:27 AM

I doubt gray has ever been a realistic target since Leicester won the title. I’d be surprisedif they sell him.
    Slimani might be purely because IF they sign iheanacho (not sure if they have as been away) they will too many strikers. They also use Musa as a winger instead of in his best position as a striker. Nolito at city is another striker wasted mainly on the wing. Perez at arsenal another. I’d love to see a couple of those join us. All would give us a cutting edge. Musa the only gamble in my eyes.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:33 AM

With the money available with tv money and everything there should at least be £50-70M.

And last year there was a profit of £30M on player sell…so money shouldn’t be a problem.

Plenty of great players have gone under our nose for fair prices…more will in the coming days I suspect.

You gotta wonder what’s exactly wrong at Newcastle?

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Jesper- it feels like most clubs are playing a waiting game. I think once the bigger clubs have moved they will look to let their fringe players go so that’s when business could get realistic again in both directions.
    The window could burst into life like a domino effect. However that could be late in the window limiting how much we can get done. A very risky strategy but I also think it’s what has really pushed up prices even further. Supply and demand. With so few quality players moving the selling clubs are demanding more as they are in such s strong position plus they have to pay more to replace them. Our own surplus players could be worth more near the end of the window. The danger is they don’t go like you say and the wage bill is too high.

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Jesper

I agree. I would sooner get Zouma on board, Then worry about getting rid of Hanley.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Penfold must be on his second lap, having been round all our 200+ targets once, he’s going back to increase his initial offer, adding a pack of custard creams to the bid.

• SeanNufc87

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:35 AM

I think one of our bigger problems is our wage bill is a lot lower than most in the Prem, so signing good players becomes difficult when they’re sometimes asking for double what some of our other first teamers are on.
    The inflated market is ridiculous now but the bubble will burst and soon, this new TV deal came at a time where viewership is quickly on the decline and its not sustainable. I dare say that’s why a lot of our games will be picked for TV as we had the highest watch figures barring the big Big games.

On Gray, I’d like to see him brought in but unless he’s ready to start week in week out we need to focus on bringing someone who is. Providing Rolando can stay fit he will be taking the rotation slot as will atsu for Ritchie.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:37 AM

We already have 5 centre halves + 2 more who have played there.
    Surely it should have been Lejeune in, Hanley out.

• Shoulders knees

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:46 AM

Jazzy

I have discovered that in life there are always someone or thing to blame 😉

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM

All these linked loan youngsters from Chelski, Liverpool etc – totally demotivating for our de players. Can we not just try some of our own?
    Arma, Toney, Heardman, Sterry, Aarons, El-Mahni, Findlay…………once these are in their 20’s why not play them or get rid, if not good enough?
    They end up like Sameobi, Vukic etc never making it, but hanging around for their pension!

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM

We already have loads of Forwards but I bet we still bring another in.
    Again Zouma is way above anything we have,And I thought it was about improving the first 11 to cope with the Pl.And not just having numbers in.
    Let’s not forget the back line is the back line what got us relegated, And to say it doesn’t need improving just because we already have numbers on board… well!!

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Shoulders

Hahaha I know mate. I couldn’t stop laughing when I seen that excuse yesterday

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:54 AM

At this rate, we’re going to be indistinguishable from Burnley!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Jib Jibberish – interesting your idea to loan Costa from Chelsea for six months then after that he could move on to Athletico Madrid.
    You clearly do not know much about football regulations – Article 5.3 of Fifa’s regulations.
    This is the 3 club registration rule -and you can only play for two in a season – same rule that stopped Benny playing straightaway for Nice.

You need to change your game before it is too late – ladies cricket or ladies rugby would I think suit you..

• sing in the corner

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:13 AM

If there is one thing I have learned this transfer window, it’s that I need to take a little break from reading the daily rumours and links….say from season’s end until mid August!?
    Putting that into practice is he tricky bit! 🙂

• sing in the corner

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:13 AM

It’s excruciating!!

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM

Mr Tuff
    If AM bought Costa this window then loaned him back to us then played him after December themselves – just a minute while I use me fingers – nope that’s definitely just TWO teams

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM

Mr Tuff
    A football season is different to a calendar year you see

• giimps

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Jazzy, the back line is the one that conceded less goals than any other championship team last season under Rafa, Lejeune has come in but we’re missing competition for yedders and dummet, we need a defensive Rb and an attacking lb unless Rafa is either bringing Sherry through for rb and sticking with gamez and Haidara.i would say we need a good dm so we can push Shelvey up he pitch and a decent no10 to cover dejong, another striker and Lw would be nice.
    What we need and what we get will probably never match but Rafa has proved he can play a tune on a broken fiddle before so I’m not worried yet, I just want the footy to start, 2 matches today though u19 euros to watch at least

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Jib – you already said AM cannot buy/register a player until Jan 2018 – so how can they loan out a player who is not theirs.Duh

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Rafa was interviewed at the Academy earlier this week
    He made the valid point that in 2 years when we leave Europe
    most foreign players (even Europeans) will need a work permit
    and this fact has affected Academy recruitment policy.
    Thinking ahead you see !

Clearly JazzyP just skimmed the article or just read the headline
    cos he thought Rafa was using Brexit as an excuse for lack of signings
    😀

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:23 AM

They can buy but NOT register – DOH

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Jib – CAS – decided they could buy but not register a player. As such AM would have no authority to loan out a player -who was not ” on their books”.

• Shoulders knees

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:36 AM

My opinion on what I think we need, we do need more pace throughout the side, i know we have some pacy players but need more,
    I think we need a number 10, I like De Jong but he is a huge gamble fitness wise and also he is a bit slow, no doubt he can play the role,
    We need another goalscorer and a winger with an end product, and full backs.
    My worry is that we may be gambling too much on the effect of the confidence boost winning the league last season will give to the players who got us relegated the season before.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Mr Tuff
    He would be on our books for 6 months

Jesus this is getting painful

No wonder policemen get called “plod”

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Giimps

We conceded more goals than most in the Pl with virtually the same back 4.
    I’m not interested in what we achieved in the Fizzy pop buddy. I just see that as a means to an end to get back to where we belong.
    Rafa said he had built a squad to get us back to the Pl ,And he did a cracking job of that.
    Now we are in The Pl,And Hopefully Rafa will do the same with building a squad to cope with the Pl.
    I’m with you tho in one sense I just want the season to start, But the other hand as we stand I don’t think we are good enough to stay up

• nightfa11

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:39 AM

As I said earlier.. Many coaches, assistants, etc said Rafa has the biggest database of players out of all managers out there.. And rafa is definitely not the guy who would settle for 8th place finish.. Even 6th.. Even 4th.. He lives for football and winning..

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Clearly Jib doesn’t yet again read what people write.
    I never mentioned Rafa or Newcastle united.. I said Newcastle as in a city as in the general Brexit

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Jib – any more bright ideas I can put to bed. And I’m not a policeman.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Mr Tuff
    In breaking your neck to show me up once again
    YOU HAVE FAILED
    Be a man and admit it
    Don’t drag it on like the Sand-dancer fiasco
    or alternatively just walk out of the room muttering to yourself

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:52 AM

jazzyp
    Jul 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    Shoulders
    Hahaha I know mate. I couldn’t stop laughing when I seen that excuse yesterday

• expatmag

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM

YUFF

Its tough getting through to some people at times……sigh

• Markaccus

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:55 AM

This old report says that AM could indeed sign Costa and the loan him out. However, It also says that plans to do just that have been shelved. In short, they can, but don’t want to. I suppose it depends on how much Costa wants to play in the next 6 months, or if he is happy to just train.

• giimps

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Jazzy,
    Your right mate, we were relegated with a similar back 4 but under Rafa for a full season, we wouldn’t have been, it says more about the lack of organizational and tactical awareness of the previous coach than the players.
    Under Rafa in our relegation season we steadied the ship as it were and after the first 2-3 games where he was getting to know his players strengths and weaknesses ,we did ok.
    I’m not saying that we have a premier league quality defense ,what I’m saying is that under Rafa that defense is a different animal to the one mctufty was throwing onto the pitch

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Thankyou Markaccus
    Sigh

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Jib

What does the headline say from Edd.. let me tell you
    Rafa talks about the effect of brexit and Newcastle.
    In which I replied What a load of b@llocks.
    I also said I can’t believe it would be used as an excuse.
    So why don’t you ask somebody what they mean rather than assuming you know what they mean.
    Once again I never mentioned Rafa or Nufc but Newcastle as a city.
    Please feel free to use your last comment To Tuffers and don’t let the door slam your face on the way out

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Metz said to be interested in Rivière. Can this be true?

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Giimps
    Mate I hope ya right but I still don’t think we strong enough for the Pl.
    A few key injuries and we are in serious trouble again.
    Lejuene injured and we are back to square one. Same if we lose Shelvey we have nothing in the middle.We are weak up front . Lose either left back or Right back and we have no back up.
    Personally mate there is a lot to fix prior the season opener against Spuds

• giimps

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Don’t know about Metz, they must be on the meths ,but they can have him for 10m ………………pence