Dwight Gayle Explains What He Has To Do In The Coming Season

Dwight Gayle got off to a great start last night and scored after just three minutes after Newcastle started the game against Hearts like a steam train.

It was really a brilliant goal set up by Siem de Jong, who showed his class last night and put Gayle through the middle and Dwight ran with the ball for a hile before slotting it past the goalkeeper for an impressive team goal from Newcastle.

His second goal was a header from a Jonjo Shelvey corner and Ian Cathro will be looking at how Dwight, who is not very tall, headed the ball home from close range unchallenged.

Newcastle players celebrate Dwight Gayle first goal

Gayle was interviewed on nufcTV after the game and as usual the Walthamstow-born player was down to earth and honest.

This is what the Newcastle number 9 had to say:

“I want to play as much as I can.”

“But I know the clubs needs to bring in the new players to pull everyone in the right direction, because it will give everyone a boost we need.”

“I’m all for new signings. I’m just looking forward to the new season. “There is pressure that comes with the shirt.”

“I know what I have to do.”

“I will rely on the other lads helping me out. I rely on balls behind. We have quality in the team.”

“Even last season I had a point to prove, this will be no different.”

“The fitness is the most important thing, and to get through it without injuries is a plus, now we look forward to the next few games.”

“I wouldn’t say I feel sharp. I don’t think any training prepares you for games. “We need to keep going and get ready for the new season.”

“We need to play as much football as we can.”   “Getting promoted last season was what we all wanted,”

“Now we need to go out prove we can handle it and play as much as we can at that level.”

“We have a great team spirit and the boys will build on that in Ireland next week.”

“We are going to go for it and see what we can do.”

Just like last season it will help Newcastle a lot if Dwight can start scoring those goals for us – this time in the Premier League – although we do expect Rafa Benitez to try to bring in maybe two strikers this summer.

Rafa did not give any interviews to the press after the game, but he did give an interview to nufcTV and seemed quite pleased with the performance.

Le Charnley and Mike Ashley should now be working around the clock to get new players in for Rafa – we must keep the manager happy.

🙂

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Did Armstrong really play on the right wing? If so that’s extremely disappointing.

• lochinvar

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM

Murphy’s valuation seems Crackers to me

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM

As I have been saying for some time now, we have a number of players returning with points to prove and under a world class management coaching team, this squad will do well.

The pessimists on here, wetting their knickers at the kack of premiership experience in the squad should look again. You may be surprised.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Not sure why people saying we don’t need wingers. We have Ritchie, atsu and aarons. With aarons being a risk to gamble on his fitness. We need another winger and there would be no use in having a top quality striker if they can’t get any service or support from the wings. Yes we need to strengthen other areas too but strengthening the wings is required also.

• WWSBRD

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM

loch
    Why? How much would u expect us to ask for if we sold Ritchie?

• yorkshire_magpie

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM

I think we’ll be relying on Gayle to get us the goals this season I can’t see many goal scorers in the team apart from him!

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM

If we sign this lad Murphy, who is quick, then look at our front 4. We could have two of the major criteria that frightens the hell out of defenders in pace and movement with Gayle Atsu Murphy Aarons allied to the creativity of Shelvey, Dejong, Perez and Ritchie…….mouthwatering

• hibbit

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:54 AM

expatmag

but we still need certain positions strengthened
    and still a gamble with some of these returning players staying fit

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Loch
    Why is £10-12 million crackers?
    He’s a good player and will strengthen us. Just because he hasn’t played in the premier league shouldn’t necessarily set his transfer fee. He played well at Coventry, played well last season, especially against us, and is considered a good prospect in the England youth levels.

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM

YORKSHIRE

with the pace power movement and creativity, goals could be spread around.

It is also reasonably early in the window so if we get Murphy and another centre forward, more goals there.

I also still have confidence jn Mitro

• Budge123

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Loch was I think referring to the famous cracker manufacturer rather than giving an opinion.

Seems to have gone over many heads that one!

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:01 AM

HIBBIT

As is buying players in mate. Everything is a gamble in football.

• Harley

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:08 AM

£12m seems a bit steep but it’s probably the going rate now with the crazy market.
    I’d imagine we’d be looking at £20m for Ritchie.

• lochinvar

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Budge123 – you got it !
    Great signing just obscure humour on my part

WESBRD – Ritchies value ? On current valuations who knows , £35m ?

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Mitro didn’t look bothered yesterday.
    Lejeune made defence look better but needs to get shots on target however it is encouraging he was in right positions. Good debut.
    Shelvey,Gayle looked sharp.
    Elliot made some great stops. Good option.
    Full backs not great.
    Needed a DM.
    I’d like to see us try 343 or 352 in preseason.

Krull,darlow and riviere all not present and looking to be off which should help incoming.

Players if recruit

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM

CARROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gave to be kidding

• yorkshire_magpie

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Why are we talking about Ritchie’s value in the transfer market? Surely where not selling him are we?

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Onealan

What possible advantage would AC be to our club other than increasing medical costs?

Pretty sure the owners of the bars on the Quayside would be happy to see him return though

• Jib

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM

OneAlanSheare
    Mitro didn’t look bothered yesterday.

I thought it was just me.

He was doing an impression of a sewage worker
    Just going through the motions

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Yorkshire

No. But it is all hyperthetical un the grand scheme of things mate

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM

JIB

The amount of shyte you spout, you should be used to going through the motions……lol

• Fostino

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM

At the moment we’ve a world class manager and solid bunch who will just about get the 40 points…but no more then that

Get a much needed striker, cm, winger, lb and we could kick on to scap top 10. This is the most we can hope for.

I’m confident we will get a winger and St soon.

However I can’t see us getting a lb or cm unless we can shift a lot of deadwood in those particular positions I. E. Haidira lazaar colback saviet diame

P.s Is astu rolando good enough for Pl. ..doubtful

Is mbemba de Jong mitro good enough to keep us up…absolutly not. They got us relegated 2 years ago..Although with a poor manager but have done nothing since to suggest they can.

Can hayden & Gayle stay injury free…if not than we won’t get the 40 points with this current team. Can see why rafa getting frustrated

Sorry…a bit if doom and gloom

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM

I think we should sell Mitro. He is not a proper forward nor a natural goalscorer. We are riding too much hope on him and we can’t risk it. He may be young but I seriously doubt he will suddenly blossom into a lethal striker. He may hold up play but Murphey even outshone him in that department. Not good enough in my opinion and we could use his sale to fund a proven goalscorer. That including wingers and a CAM should be our priority. If anything happens to Gayle we are definitely fkd!

• yorkshire_magpie

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:47 AM

JP I’m completely with you on Mitro. Although I want him to do well he’ll never make it here I’m afraid. We should definitely be looking to get another striker.

• Novocastrian66

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM

I can see Ritchie being moved inside next season. He will have more influence in a central position.
    Perhaps Rafa is looking at more wide players to free Ritchie up.

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Expat- if Carroll was cheap I’d take him. He’d play his socks off for us granted he’s had a terrible run of a injuries, reminds me of big Dunc for that. Yeah he’d likely be up to his old tricks.

Jib – lol indeed mate. Mitro actually is quite a good player but I think one moment after a match summed up his time under Rafa and his future. He rolled his eyes and looked away when Rafa was talking to just him. Any player under a proper manager doing that is dicing with his career. I wondered if mbabu may have suffered that fate after he chased hazard all over the pitch. Rafa is about everyone doing their job. Not players that do their own thing. I’ve no evidence of this just a feeling. Rafa wants a prolific striker not one that doesn’t score enough even If he can hold the ball up.

However with the pace of player sales and incoming I can’t see us signing more than 5 players and I see a few we want rid of staying as a result.

Fingers crossed we speed up signings and all pleasantly surprised

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Yorkshire – we would be insane to sell Ritchie. Same for Gayle and shelvey. Unsaleable. Hayden too.