Newcastle Could Be In Surprise Move For This Talented Playmaker

26 year-old Spanish playmaker Jota (full name – Jose Ignacio Peleteiro Ramallo) is ready to play in the next friendly against Oxford, after the bid they were expecting simply did not happen.

The Spaniard missed the 5-1 win at Aldershot over a week ago because the club had been expecting a bid for the transfer of their midfield playmaker, who had an excellent second half of last season.

That was after he spent the first half of last season on loan at Spanish Club Eibar.

26 year-old Spanish playmaker Jota

Brentford head coach Dean Smith also did not play him yesterday at FC Lausanne-Sport in France (1-1 draw) and said this after the game:

“If nobody comes in with this imminent bid, which we were told about, he will be available for the Oxford United game. We have had that chat and he will be happy to do so.”

Jota wants a move to the Premier League and Newcastle are said to be interested in signing the player – so we don’t know if the club who are supposed to be making the move for him is in fact Newcastle.

West Ham, Everton, Swansea, and Burnley are the other Premier League clubs who have been interested in the player this summer.

It’s hardly surprising the Bees would like to keep him at Brentford for next season.

Jota was on loan at Spanish club Eibar during almost the whole of 2016, but returned to Brentford at the end of last year and he was simply brilliant when in the last five months of the Championship season Jota seemed to come alive to score 12 goals and lay on five assists in 21 total appearances for the Bees.

Jota now has just one year left on his contract, but if Rafa is close to signing him then the manager must think he can make the big step up to the very tough Premier League.

Jota was signed by Brentford in the summer of 2014 from Celta Vigo on a three year deal for an undisclosed fee – and that contract included a one year option, which was taken up by the Bees.

In August of 2015, he suffered damaged ankle ligaments in the opening game of the season against Ipswich – and was out of action until that December.

In January of 2016, he left on loan to Eibar until June 2017 due to personal reasons – and missing his family was the main reason for his return to Spain.

He has now played 74 games for Brentford with 23 goals and 9 assists – and while at Eibar on loan a couple of times in 2013-2014 and then in 2016 he played a total of 57 times and scored 11 goals with 3 assists for them.

He would be a decent enough signing for Newcastle at £8M.

What do you think?

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM

He will be outstanding signing but we can’t compete with the likes of Burnley and West ham. So no chance.

• Markaccus

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:40 PM

I like the look of this lad. Ok it wont be quite as easy in the prem, but he is too good for championship football.

• ZIPPIE57

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM

Please NOOOOOOOO

• Bobbybee

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Came back to log out and saw your post OT. Who do you think you’re kidding? You had a dig at me saying nobody had ever mentioned finishing sixth – I must be making it up – now you acknowledge that some had, in fact, said that.
    Show me where I have branded all fans like that. I said ‘those fans talking about finishing in the top six’. Which means EXACTLY what it says. Plain talking. Again, putting your words in my mouth in an attempt to sound reasonable.
    Just save it. I think most regular posters know you by now and you aren’t fooling anybody. Once again, you’re lacking the courage of your convictions by backtracking.
    At least I wear my heart on my sleeve and say it how I see it, I don’t try and wriggle after the event. When I’m wrong I hold my hands up – nothing shameful about being wrong, it happens to the best of us.
    You came on with your usual snidey dig and it backfired again, so then you try and make out you’re such a reasonable guy after I leave. Too many people on here are far too intelligent to swallow that.
    If you want a reasonable conversation about football, I have them all the time. If you can’t join in without trying to score points, just stay out of it. There’s no need for it.
    Me and Mr T agreed to forget the past and move on. It isn’t that difficult if you try, but it means forgetting grudges you’ve clearly harboured from previous times. The only points I want to see being scored are the ones Newcastle get. Grudges are for the anally retentive and I don’t do them. If you can’t move on, please refrain from addressing me in the future. It’s well boring now.

• Bobbybee

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:09 PM

By the way, Jota? Yes please. Gets bums off seats and very creative. Pretty confident he can make the step up too. Shelvey, Aaron’s*, Jota, Ritchie, De Jong* Atsu. Creative players to alternate. Love it!

*if they can stay fit.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Now if we get this lad in and Murphy we will be looking much much healthier. Our chances of staying in the EPL and perhaps even doing well will shoot up. Add to these 2 a great striker like Chicharito and we will have the makings of a great midtable team that with a couple of marquee signings could perhaps clinch top 10 or europa league.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM

…but before I can dream we need to sign them up and only then can we be heading in the right direction.