Newcastle’s New Signing Looks The Real Deal In Training

Florian Lejeune, our £8.8M signing from Spanish club Eibar, had a decent debut at Tynecastle on Friday night and he looked like a good steady center-back in his first appearance for Newcastle.

He went close a couple of times to scoring from corners, so it looks like he may be able to get some goals for us next season in the Premier League.

Currently, Florian is the only new addition from last season’s squad but Newcastle are said to be working hard to bring  Jacob Murphy from Norwich and Sheyi Ojo from Liverpool to Newcastle. on permanent deals.

Florian Lejeune in training in the rain with Matt Ritchie

But it’s been really slow going this summer – so far.

Local lad Paul Dummett has been interviewed in the Chronicle and he has said some good things about new boy Florian:

“The lads will all agree with me that since the first day of training he’s fit straight in.”

“He’s comfortable on the ball as we saw against Hearts and he’s a big unit and he’s strong as well – he’s also good in the air.”

“He has a lot of attributes he can bring to our team and he can bring a lot of competition.”

“It’s important to get rid of the rustiness because we’ve had eight weeks off without playing football.”

“It’s about getting rid of the rustiness, building the match fitness up and it’s nice to win the game too because you don’t want to lose.”

“The main priority was match fitness.”

“It’s been intense but we’ve done a lot of ball work as well.” “The manager had us doing the same last season and he’s keen to use the ball early.”

“We’ve been training as normal with running on top so it’s been enjoyable, which is probably not something you normally hear a lot from players.”

“What you want to do as a player is play with the ball and we’ve already been doing that so that’s great.”

Our next friendly is at Preston North End next Saturday afternoon and the lads are now in Dublin on a week-long training camp at Carton House.

Rafa will be wanting to ratchet it up a notch or two this week although we thought the lads looked good at Tynecastle.

Siem de Jong, Rolando Aarons and goalkeeper Rob Elliot were outstanding.

• expatmag

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Ron

All the sources I am reading say it is a 10 million quid deal because Liverpool wouldnt let us have him on loan

• Ron Knee

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM

expat

According to the Chronic:-

“Newcastle want Sheyi Ojo on loan but that does not mean their interest in Murphy is over.”

• jayphoto

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Tbf to Huddersfield and their 10 players, whilst not the players I’d want to sign, most of them would have strengthened our squad and I’d argue in terms of a squad its put Huddersfield temporarily ahead of us and Brighton.
    Delpoitre and Mounie are untested in PL but have seriously good attributes. Either would have strengthened us.
    Similarly Malone is a better left back than we have, and Ince is young and hungry, would have made a nice option for us. Personally thought we should have been in for Mooy too… looks a real ball player.
    Good business for Huddersfield… not the players I’d choose for NUFC but unless we start signing players I’d argue it’s put them in a stronger position

• martoon

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM

lesh @24 – I thought the Murphy in Germany story was a case of mistaken identity – it was actually his twin or is that not the case now?

• Jib

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Jail for Ashley

Dame should have been that player but obviously isn’t good enough.

According to Rodgers and Hammerstein

“There is nothing like a Dame”

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM

This transfer window is running along the same lines as season 2013-14 where we were linked to thooooosands of players in the end we only got Remy over the line as a loan at the beginning of August.

Sorry lads but if we do not get anyone in it’s gonna be a big big struggle to stay up, as we lack firepower in only having one player who I think could make double figures and that’s Gayle. And if he is out any length of time – after that who do we have – Ritchie and Perez

• Jib

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:36 PM

I hope this young man isn’t planning any nights out in the Toon soon.

‘Brendan Galloway opted to join Premier League outfit West Bromwich Albion, on loan, last season despite a protracted pursuit from the Magpies.

He returned to Everton on the back of a disappointing campaign, having made just five appearances, and that “frustrating experience” has made him a stronger person.

“There was a lot of frustration last season,” said Galloway, as quoted by the Sunderland Echo. “I had to deal with that, I have learned how to deal with things off the pitch mentally. I have become a stronger person and now I am looking forward to the challenge.There was a chance I could have gone to Newcastle last summer, but now I prefer Sunderland anyway!”’

• martoon

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Jib @47 – Apparently he was responsible for 2 of the goals they conceded the other night so let’s not get too upset about it! 🙂

• G

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM

RH, agreed, after all, who does he think he is? Carl Cort’s wife?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Charlie,
    I don’t think there’s any comparison at all with the 13/14 season. Pardew had taken an eight year deal to be a coach full stop with the elderly scout choosing players for him. He may well have voiced his concerns that we needed players but not too loudly as he’d signed a juicy contract waiving his rights. The attitude then was the players bought in January should be enough to keep us up. A very different scenario to what we have now.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Jail

I don’t know – hope you’re right

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM

And that policy got too much even for auld rubber lips and his silly glasses, I don’t think Rafa will stand in front of the cameras to act as the Mashers/Churners punch bag.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Rafa today via the chronicle on transfers:“Hopefully, Mike can keep his word and we can do what we want to do.”

Hopefully this is just a translation issue, because that doesn’t sound like someone who is :
    1. Happy with whats transpired
    2. confident that things will change.

• WLtoon

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:09 PM

The way this window is going, we,ll not sign either Ojo or Murphy, We have obviously bid for Murphy but we wont go that extra yard to bring players in. I will be gobsmacked if we end up with both.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:15 PM

G

Sorry didn’t get the carl cort’s wife gag
    Just saying AA only scored 6 for Barnsley last season, whereas Tammy Abraham got 26 in a sh–e team.
    I think AA has to do a bit better before he can saying he’s been harshly done by.

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Oh oh Carroll left out of the WHU squad for today’s game,media would and will use this to link with is!

And history will repeat itself again!

• martoon

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Rotonda – this might help with the Carl Cort wife gag – quite funny actually – good one G.

• Moonraker15

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM

We really need a number 10 ffs not more wingers!

• hibbit

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM

NezzaNUFC to add a bit of spice !!!
    Andys new house in ponteland is well on the way to completion all the ingredients one or two juicy headlines

• magspuggy

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Ahhhh
    The cort’s

Q. Do you know who i am.

A. No why have you forgot

Is she from benwell by any chance ?

• c-dog

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM

We’ll have a great chance at the Championship in 18/19 with these superstars.

• Tsunki

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Ah theres a blast from the past. It seemed Carl’s missus was better at pushing forward than her hubby by a long way.

• Tsunki

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Did Andy finally get his burned out range rover towed off that drive? Anyone know?

• Tsunki

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Btw i forgot to ask, is it time to panic yet?

🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM

FYI Arma is very grounded and well thought of. I find it bizarre – or maybe not, considering – that followers of the club should prefer to see the kid as a pathetic way OF TRYING to wind me up, rather than hoping one of our own should come through. Actually, I think it says a lot.
    Arma will remain as the best prospect since Gazza, wherever he is, until somebody at that age betters him. Those who bothered their arse to go to U18’s and U23’s tend to agree.
    This isn’t a rant either. I find it sad. Disappointing more than anything, but considering where it comes from, perfectly understandable. It’s been repeated too many times to even be denied. You don’t even know me, but Arma is a young lad, one of ours and showed incredible talent. His goals at Coventry were special, almost every one.
    The lad’s only 20. This season is crucial to him, but some idiots prefer to use him as a stick to beat me, rather with than hope he makes it.
    As usual, it’s the same old same old’s. Live in the area, never bother going. Enough said really.
    Have a go at me as much as you want, seriously, water off a ducks back – you’re the ones who end up snivelling, not me – but Arma? Really? Pathetic.
    You should know by now, I support NUFC, not Arma. I want him to make it, that’s all. Whatever happens, I’ll have great memories of watching him represent the club at academy and U23 level, where he shone like a beacon. Those who didn’t see him won’t get it, but there you go.
    The kid’s 20 ffs. Loads of time yet. Harry Kane was no different at his age, but look at him now. So the kid isn’t ready yet – that’s what good managers use the loan system for. You’d know that if you had the first clue about the game. The fact that you spend most your time on here digging at people, exposes your real lack of nous, because serious discussions about football in detail are beyond your very limited knowledge. Pathetic attempts at humour away from the game is about as good as we get. Not even funny either.
    Look around the net and see how many of our fans really want him to make it, not just me. Thousands.
    Like I say, far far from a rant. Sensible people will get my point exactly. Probably over your heads,but hey, what’s new?

• jezza442

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM

you telling me nobody would have Andy Carroll back,as a back up to gayle or a second striker he could be class! I know he’s prone to injury but with rotating he won’t have to play as many games and there’s no doubt he can hit the net.

• posada

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM

On Arma if he makes it he makes it. It won’t be for the want of trying or for the lack of opportunity.
    He was one of the best for his age at international tournaments. Consequently, some folks put him down as failing if he does not go on to be the next Messi.
    Wrong. He is already playing at a level most of us could only dream about. If he plays in the Championship for the next ten years, that is making it. He’ll be a wealthy young man by 30 and will have made the most of his gifts.
    That is the essence of being a professional sports person or professional anything for that matter.

• G

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Bobby, only thing I have ever said regarding Armstrong was that I hadn’t heard about attitude problems. Not trying to beat the lad down. Said on many an occasion, that to my untrained eyes, he does not look like he will make a top flight striker, however, I will be delighted if he proves me wrong on this one.

• Tsunki

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Well Jib there goes your fair weather theory 🙂

Actually Bobby it was Jib who suggested the Armstrong comments were designed to wind you up. There’s no reason anyone would want him to fail. For my part I’m hoping he will turn around his lacklustre Barnsley effort. Great if he goes, but I’m sorry I’m just not holding my breath on it.