Benitez Has Confidence In Ashley To Deliver On Promises – Rafa Can Spend Transfer Funds How He Likes

Rafa Benitez has given a very good interview to the local press while in Ireland. – and he says he was told the specific funds that were available by Mike Ashley at their meeting in early May and that he could spend that money how he wanted to.

Rafa says he was told the specific funds that were available by Mike Ashley at their meeting in early May and that he could spend that money the way he wanted to.

Spend big money on a few players or spend huge amounts on fewer players – Ashley said it was Rafa’s choice.

It seems that Rafa wants to spread that money this summer on getting up to eight first team players to increase the competition for places all over the pitch.

Rafa Benitez in complete control of transfer funds for both fees and wages

But in January or next summer he could spend big money on only a few players – or just one player even – it’s his choice thank goodness!

This is what Rafa has said as reported specifically in the Shields Gazette today:

“I think we are very clear where we are. “In January we didn’t sign players, but we had £30M player trading profit from last summer ready for the future.”

“So now we are in a situation where we are going slowly, but I still have confidence that after my meeting with Mike everything will be fine.”

“He said that he would give us every last penny, so hopefully he will do it, and I’m confident that he will do it.”

“We cannot change what happened (in January) , so we have to concentrate on what will happen in the future.”

“We have the numbers to spend.” “When we had the meeting they told me the numbers – and now we have to make it happen.”

“Obviously, you want players as soon as possible – that’s the same for every manager.”

“I have the same idea. I have said before that the market is getting crazy, but hopefully we can do our job.”

“I don’t think it will be ideal, because the prices are what they are, but hopefully we can do our job.”

“As I said, when we had the meeting with Mike we were talking about the numbers – the money that he could give us for doing the signings – and into this budget we are fine, but we have to do it.”

“Again, I will say the numbers were there.” “We have the resources to do what we wanted to do, and now we have to do it.”

“I asked the question to Mike if I can spend all the money on one player, or if I must spend it on many players,”

“He said that the budget is mine and I can do what I want with the numbers he has given me.”  “It is the same with wages.”

“The budget is clear, and now we can move around as I want. I have confidence that Mike will keep his word.”

“We still have time to buy players until the end of next month, and I am confident that we will do it.”

“I have confidence that Ashley will do what he said to me.”

That’s a good interview with Rafa and he has revealed some of the promises Mike made to him.

Fans don’t exactly trust Mike Ashley, given his history over the last ten years – but we are really hoping the owner sees Rafa as the godsend he is for Newcastle United.

What Mike needs to do is to get some additional investment in the club from China – so Rafa has a lot more money to spend in January and next summer.

That would be the next step for Mike Ashley in supporting Rafa Benitez – as well as keeping his word from the May meeting.

If Mike does that he could have a  very successful and expensive football club on his hands.

🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Beat you to it Ed – sorry mate! So, all those who gave me jip for reading the situation right, no need to apologise, just send me a cheque and we’ll call it straight. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Sergio Aguero odds on to go to Chelsea! Can that really be right? How mad do you have to be to sell him to your rivals?

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Bobby

Not only that, who do you replace him with? There are VERY few strikers of his calbre knocking around………
    …….
    …….
    RIVIERE! PERFECT!

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:31 AM

They sell Aguero for maybe 100M, we will take 75 for Rivieraldinho. Sorted.

• Bobbybee

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Mark, he couldn’t get a job as a striker with Arthur Scargill!

• Bobbybee

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Better idea Mark – straight swap!

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Looking at the comments by rafa,

Suggests that wages are are seperate budget. Thats much better.

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:35 AM

Bobby

Yes the swap would be better. I’m sure we could persuade Aguero he’d be better off here than at Chelsea.

• firebug666

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM

PMSL @ Bobby! #5

A very good interview from Rafa, and now we know there is plenty of money in the kitty. It seems though that we will not be held to ransom for players, and will lose out rather than pay over the odds, that’s good business sense, maybe not what us fans want to hear.

So maybe we have to look for a few bargains, but as Rafa chooses what to spend and on whom, the future looks somewhat brighter, he does bring in the occasional flop, but I think he will be looking at players he can mold and develop into what he needs on the pitch.

The main draw back to all this is Penfold, he is doing those actual negotiations, and the biscuit cupboard is empty now Rafa has all the spare cash.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Bobby…I don’t really see the double edge sword in regards to shorter contracts.

If the players doesn’t deliver then his time is up much quicker and if he delivers then you you give him a new contract…of course on better terns.

…but that’s the whole point mate 🙂

About agents…they are the issue here and it needs to be addressed at some point. Hopefully FIFA will be forced to do something at some point.

They are basically not needed…they make certain things easier for both parties but that cab be sorted differently. It’s an old system…a system for self serving people who wants to linen their own pocket.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM

”so hopefully he will do it” Operative word being hopefully.

Bobby

I think we’d all agree AA has great potential, but for whatever reason, be it attitude or something else, we are not quite sure why it isn’t translating just yet in a NUFC shirt, or last season in the championship for that mattter. One of the goals AA scored last season was out of this world so we’re seeing glimpses, now just need much more to follow.

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:50 AM

So apparently we’re signing Javier Manquillo, abit of a strange one.

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM

kc

I beat you to that one 😀
    It’s come from nowhere if true. Seems odd though.

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Markaccus

Haha yes ive just seen now mate,
    The report seems quite strong online, reported on alot of Spanish sites now that its all agreed and medical Today apparently. He’s a good player on a free, being only 23, but would be a surprise signing from nowhere as you say.

• hibbit

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM

i know this doesn’t mean a great deal but Manquillo was often seen about town with Perez and his brother ?????

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Has anybody seen him play?

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

hibbit

Have you seen him play?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Bobby,
    There’s no getting g away from what Rafa said on camera, he puts the ball firely in Ashleys court by saying hopefully he will keep his word, it’s in a different interview to the one being printed. He was confident that we’d make signings in January as well. He’s a clever bloke and knows what he’s doing with the media. Good on him.

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Doesnt seem to have had loads of playing time whilst at Liverpool but played nearly every game whilst on loan at Marseille and looks like played at every Spanish youth level upto u21’s so must have something about him….He did go on loan to the unwashed humans who we dont speak of though. Think hes just another victim of Simeone not wanting to rotate things

• Rotonda heights

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM

T.O.F

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the regime is beyond criticism, although I don’t know if you mean regime as in Ashley, or Rafa, who you don’t let a day go by without having a go at. If it’s Ashley you mean, well you’re hardly alone there, but if it’s the guy who won us the championship as top scorers with a bang average squad,
    then as the quote goes ” You are in more dire need of a b–wjob than any white man in history.”

• martoon

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM

kc2012 & Markaccus – I’m a bit sceptical about this story no rumours on Twitter or from Lee Ryder. I think it is just a case of we are looking for a Left Back, he is Spanish……………………. just make up a story!

• hibbit

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Ron Knee
    don’t remember him but i suppose i must have !!

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Martoon

Probably. However, this lad is allegedly a right back. It just seems strange to quote a contract length and a possible medical arranged.

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM

hibbit

He obviously made a big impression!

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM

That my tickets for the Wolfsburg game booked.

Taking the younger brother to his first ever game watching the Toon

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Martoon

Probably true mate but ive found quite alot of rumours on it on twitter, including someone from the chronicle. Some of it seems to be the same report doing the rounds though so could just be rubbish really.

• martoon

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Markaccus – Sorry I though he was a LB but I suppose we’re looking for a RB too – I just can’t see this one but I’ll be the first to hold my hand up if it does happen.

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM

The Chronic are sceptical at the moment:-

“It very rarely happens but reports in Spain suggest that a former Black Cat could be heading to Newcastle United.”

• Spoof

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM

I still have my doubts about Ashley and how much he will spend, it’s easy to say cash is available to then nearly always under offer citing good business sense as the reason for failing, how many times do we have to hear to expensive before we realize that he just won’t spend.

Good business when talking PL football transfers relates to not buying, it’s a crazy market where good businesses sense doesn’t work, you sell at crazy prices and therefore you have to buy at crazy prices, if you don’t your doomed.

• martoon

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM

kc2012 – nothing from the mighty Lee Ryder yet – although he could still be in bed after a night out on the p*ss in Ireland 😀

• john tudor

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM

ron knee i saw him play a few times at CGB but he was below average

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM

TFA,
    I done all the logistics for it, a flight out of Edinburgh on the Wednesday morning to Berlin, a train then from Berlin, would have got there about ten minutes after kick off if all went well, a night in Berlin then a flight back to Newcastle on the Thursday. But then I rang my mate who would have went and he’s on holiday at the time 🙁

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Martoon

Haha yes he’s probably living the good life over there. We’ll just have to see if anything gets said Today I suppose

• Rotonda heights

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Amazing quality of play in NUFC first goal

Really surprised how good darlo’s stadium looks for a club down in the lower leagues.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM

The whole plan relies on Ashley keeping his word. Rafa is confident he will. “Hopefully” all will be rosy and we’ll be playing CL football in four years time after celebrating a couple of cups.

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:32 AM

jt

That’s reassuring!

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Jail,

We all live in Germany anyway, so it’s about a 2 hour drive up to Wolfsburg for us.
    Been a good few years since I’ve see the mighty toon play as well I have to admit.

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM

TFA

Gute Reise!

• Spoof

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Jail

And Mikey keeping his word doesn’t fill me with confidence, remember KK and the AC cash which was promised to Pardew.