The Former Player Who Still Loves Newcastle United

Former midfielder Gini Wijnaldum has been interviewed by ESPN today and he has talked about his former club Newcastle United.

Gini was moved out last summer when Liverpool came in and met Newcastle’s asking price of £25M for him, which was over a £10M profit in one year after we had signed the playmaker for around £14M two years ago from PSV.

He was voted the Dutch player of the Year in the previous season as PSV won the Eredivisie.

But we always thought Gini – while never wanting to play in England’s second division – nevertheless conducted himself with professionalism and class last summer and he kept quiet about things until he was eventually sold.

Former Newcastle midfielder Gini Wijnaldum – now at Liverpool

That was unlike some other player who we will not mention, other than to say his first name is Moussa and his career is in the tank this summer.

🙂

Gini has done very well at Liverpool and in our opinion he was the really class player we lost due to relegation last summer.

This is what Gini has said about Newcastle United today to ESPN:

“Newcastle United are a club which is in my heart.” “They gave me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.”

“The fee was a lot of money at the time and a lot of clubs didn’t want to take the risk that they took.” “The people at the club and the fans treated me real good.

“I don’t have a bad word to say about Newcastle and I am happy that they are back in the Premier League where they belong.

“Will I get a good reception there? I don’t know.”

“I heard it won’t be great for me but I still love that club.”

“When I needed them, when I went there as a new signing, they supported me. I had a feeling they were happy I was there.”

“When a club like Liverpool come and give you the opportunity to play in the Premier League again…it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world so I didn’t think twice.”

“I wanted to make the transfer and I’m happy that I did.”

26 year-old Wijnaldum will likely be booed when he plays at St. James’ Park in the coming season, but when you are judging the person – Gini is a good man.

That’s our opinion.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Well, he only seemed to perform at home, but he wasn’t a tool about moving clubs, so I don’t really have a problem with gini.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:34 AM

check in later to see if there’s any news on any knew signings now for some breakfast then some sun .

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM

This article reminded me I was thinking about the strength of the squad that were relegated against the current one. In my opinion with players like Gini & Townsend there was definitely more quality but I think the current team spirit, togetherness & organisation is much better and should take us a long way. What do others think?

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM

This emphasis of Rafa on pace in the Newcastle team this coming season bodes well for Siem de Jong.

I thought in previous seasons when we saw him (rarely) in the League that he always tried to do too much in an effort to impress.

With lots of willing youngsters prepared to run their socks off , on his behalf , he should get more time and space to use his most valuable asset – his headpiece.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Martoon
    When I first saw the article I thought it was going to be “Rafa wants to buy Wijnaldum back”
    and my first reaction was – “mmmm that could work “

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Martoon

I think people are under estimating our squad. It’s certainly isn’t stellar, but it’s better than a championship squad imo.

• giimps

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Maybe a couple of better players but not a team, Rafa has built and is now building a team, players who want to be here and play for the crest, I won’t boo Gini, he was professional and only the non tactics of mctufty stopped him contributing as much in away games, nobody other than Townsend covered themselves in glory that season…….Rafa managed to get a lot more out of the players than mctufty ,just not enough to save us

• Toondog2

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Martoon

Absolutely if the squad works together as a team like Leicester did in winning the EPL it goes a long way .
    If you then add in pace and fitness and with Maestro Rafa in charge and with some good quality signings then we are well on the way to doing well enough in the first season back
    PrimmaDonnas usually don’t work out well

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Looking at it logically, it’s the squad that got promoted with the most goals, plus a few additions so far. Additions that give competition for places, which in turn boosts performance. Players with potential, who want to be here, and are young enough to mould into the required shape. I think we will be fine

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Toondog2 – That’s a good point – having Rafa from the start instead of the last few games should make a big difference. As Ed would say “Having a world class manager ………………..” 😀

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:00 AM

The long awaited meeting between Aurelio De Laurentiis and Pepe Reina takes place at Dimaro (Napoli’s training gound)
    The reason this is so crucial is that Pepe’s agent Manuel García Quilón will be present so something will be resolved by days end.

Napoli have told Guardiola to get lost

One thing in our favour is Manuel García Quilón is also Rafa’s agent.

Although it has to be said the majority of Italian media think Rina will extend his contract with Napoli !

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Markaccus @9 – You could argue we’ve lost a couple of players as well such as Gouffran & Anita but hopefully Murphy & Manquillo will be good replacements and hopefully upgrades.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Martoon

Yeah, manquillo should be an upgrade for anita, because anita was really just a utility player covering RB, where as Manq is a RB.
    I liked goofy, but we’d have to say Murphy is going to be an upgrade.

• ScoopSouthAfrica

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Catch up time….. Just had 10 days holiday in Dubai (very very hot).

Anyway just a thought, if NUFC play 433 it could be a commentators tongue twister if we sign Murphy’s twin brother. It could be a front line of Murphy; Murphy & Murphy, probably a bit of Irish blarney there.

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Markaccus @13 – On Manquillo the makem fans don’t seem to think so and are giving us a fair bit of stick about him. Implying Billy Jones was better than him and that’s not saying much – I really hope Rafa knows what he’s doing. It could be his confidence was shattered playing in a relegation haunted team – he does have a decent pedigree in Spain.

• Toondog2

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM

I think fitness to play the whole90 mins is crucial
    I always remark as to the Fitness levels of the German National team in the final quarter of a match is where they excell and if Rafa can get the lads in that fitness mound then we will do fine and surprise many a team

• Toondog2

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Mould not mound b***** predictive text

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM

Martoon

It’s about 50/50 from the mackems. The few I work with seem to blame Moyes for not using him properly, and like you say playing for a doomed side. Moyes was very much Sunderlands Wally McTufty

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 AM

ScoopSouthAfrica @14 – That could be interesting and we could swap the Wingers around and no one would notice!
    It reminds me of when we had Michael Chopra upfront and were linked with Paul Dickov – I just longed to hear the commentator say we had a front two of Chopra Dickov 😀

• Toondog2

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Regarding Siem De Jong ,if he stays fit, big if and down to the Medical team here , his class could be a big plus which could well give Rafa the time honoured statement of like — a new signing ???
    I always thought he was the better player than Luuk
    I don’t know how or where he fits in to the midfield or a no 10

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez will now turn his attention to signing a goalkeeper and a striker. (Lee Ryder)

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM

Toondog

Siem was signed as an attacking mf. He can be used as a creative no.10 or as a cm. We have been unlucky so far with the de jong bros. Luuk was used where siem is meant to be used, and not in his actual role as a striker. Siem just keeps breaking. hoping for the best this season.

• LetuscloneShearer

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:49 AM

When it comes to De Jong I do not think he has the pace to be a proven PL player. I hope I am wrong and that Rafa transforms him. He has a good head, but needs to use it properly.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Martoon

I’ve been saying much the same thing about our squad over the past few days/weeks, the first few games will be crucial. Some early wins on the board will set us up nicely and although I don’t see us ending up in the top six I reckon top ten is well within the teams capability.

In fact when/if you commence your prediction thingy I’ll be putting us down for tenth.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM

I thought DeJong looked sprightly enough in the Hearts game, can’t see why people think he’s a carthorse.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Markaccus

It makes you wonder about the perceived wisdom of our scouting team and past coaching and managerial staff knowledge doesn’t it? Luuk De Jong deployed as if he were Siem De Jong and I’m sure we signed Amalfitano thinking we were getting his much better brother. I know some have said the latter in jest, but it makes you wonder if it’s actually an uncomfortable truth.

Hard to believe that level of ineptitude was ever going on, but we did have a manager that called our star midfielder Yohan Kebab

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Jesper,
    I still can’t understand why you were so excited five years ago after a very popular manager had been sacked and an elderly scout scoured Europe for bargain basement players prepared to go on strike and who had failed medicals elsewhere. Yet now we have a top manager in place with a long term vision which relies in his words “on hopefully the owner keeping his word” you are pouring scorn on our every move?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM

I suppose the fitness mound is a bit like the trash can ice boxes we used (still do?) to use. 🙂

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM

This emphasis on pace is codswallop, plenty of current top PL players have little pace. Sigurdsson is very similar in style to SDJ and he has little pace. Don’t know why people think pace is a pre-requisite for a good player. You talk as if SDJ is a current day Neville Southall. He’s quicker than Mitrovic for starters.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Manquillo was operating under David Moyes
    The guy who sold Rooney to MU

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM

HWA,
    I thought you were very pro old regime?

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM

HWA

Ah yes, JFK. Wasn’t he our Director of Football the second time round? Mashers offered him the job while p1ssed apparently, and when informed of what he had done the following morning, said “I did what!?!?”
    JFK then went on to try and sign a young left sided player from birmingham….who was on loan to them from us!!

• toontaff2

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM

JIB, I like the look of them new signings – quick, good leap – maybe they’ll pouch a few goals 😆 Wonder if one will be our new captain/skippy?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM

EGB,
    With the team spirit we have and the top class manager we have guiding them we will have a comfortable season back in the PL.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:04 AM

I said that Gouffron was better than the general opinion had him pre last season but I don’t think he’d be getting many bench starts never mind team starts this year with us. The move to Turkey I reckon is a good one for him and the best of luck to him. He;s been a valuable player for us and deserves a good twilight to his career.

• toontaff2

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Gini was the player I was gutted about losing due to relegation. He would be perfect in our system, now.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Jail…I was excited 5 years ago when a popular manager was sacked and Carr was appointed head scout?

…and lets not forget either that I was part of the OV on the blog…also according to you

Just pass my posting will you…you’ll be doing all a favor.

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM

EGB @24 – Top ten would be great but I’d be satisfied with 11th, 12th as well. As long as we are well clear of the relegation zone so not involved in that scrap.
    I will be doing the ‘Prediction thingy’ again this season – I thought I’d wait until the start of August or maybe even after the friendly at home which would leave a week for predictions or do people think it should be a longer period?

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Martoon,
    I’d go with doing it after the last friendly mate.

• geordiesteve520

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Siem De Jong reminds me of Teddy Sheringham, he had very little pace but thought so far ahead of other players he looked lightning.