With Jacob Murphy And Javier Manqillo Signed – Still Plenty Of Money For Newcastle To Spend This Summer

Once we get Javier Manquill0 officially signed today or tomorrow it looks like the club will still have some big money to spend on a striker and a playmaker and any other players Rafa needs to be brought in this summer.

Jacob Murphy has been announced as joining Newcastle today and that’s a very good signing for us right there.

We are initially estimating Jacob at only the initial fee of £10M and will not include the £2M add-ons until they are earned, and the Chronicle are reporting today they believe the fee for Manquillo is around £4.5M – which seems reasonable enough.

Rafa Benitez – no wonder he’s smiling!

🙂

Here’s the current situation of the signings with Javier still pending but it showed we have spent a net of only 18.5M and we were supposed to have up to 70M to spend plus what Rafa can get from sales of players like Tim Krul, Manu Riviere, Henri Saivet and others.

PlayerFeeClub
Siem de Jong£4.0MAjax
Grant Hanley£3.5MNorwich City
Tim KrulLoan - seasonBrighton
Achraf LazaarLoan - seasonBenevento
Transfer Fees Out£22.5M
Net Spend£12.0M

And there’s even news that striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has been offered to Lyon and the fee there is said to be €18M which is around £16M.

So if Rafa does do some selling this summer there is still plenty of money to spend. and have brought in four new players for a gross of £29.5M so far this summer – those seem good deals to us.

We have brought in four new players for a gross of £29.5M so far this summer – those seem like some good deals to us given the craziness in the transfer market.

What do you think?

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Would love us to get Adama Traore from Boro. The kid is lightning fast and was rated as the best dribbler in europe last season. Imagine if Rafa could coach him into making his final ball mote productive what a player we could have. Boro are supposedly preparing an £8m bid for Darlow and for a swap and say 7m from us we could have at St James’. He gets bums off seats and is just the sciting player that we would all love to watch.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM

Then sell Mitro and go all out and get Batahuayi here and we are well on our way to having a great young team with frightening pace for counter attacks.

• Our Toon

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Strikers I want it to be between Hernandez and Batshuyai, not keen on Bas Dost.

Still need a solid DM, No10, keeper and LB then we are sorted

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM

We may never get a team full of Geordies like John Hall wanted but id be happy with a team full of genuine NUFC fans!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Intriguing what sort of team Rafa is trying to build – I like the prospect of a couple of fearless young wingers counter attacking with speed with a big bloke in the middle.

Cannot see Ritchie becoming a number 10 at all or even tried in that position. Would prefer a new decent centre forward and play him with Gayle.

I’m hoping for a big money CF.

• jimmygscot

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Signings so far seem only to be squad players. No step up in quality from what we already have.
    Still need to cover at least 4 positions with proven talent, fed up seeing posts that Rafa can develop and bring players on.
    So me of the signings last summer did not set the Championship on fire.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Chicharito, Sturridge, Batshuayi and Long all available at the right price. Bas Dost would be a beast in the EPL I think. Too expensive for us this season. Of those I’ve mentioned I would love us to go all out for Batshuayi if not then Chicharito or Sturridge. Shane Long would make a good squad player, but we need more than just a swuad player we need a beast upfront.

• Bobbybee

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Jimmy, Rafa’s said we’re buying players who can do a job for us. He did the same last season mate and we won the league. This season is all about getting established back in the PL and if these players do it, then I don’t see a problem. Next season will be different because we’ll have more money to spend.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Just before my metro hits the tunnel…

Happy so far with the signings. Even with the random spanish RB 😀

Agree with our toon, i am not keem on sad bots, but batman or hernandez would be good

Think we can survive without an out and out back up no.10 until jan. Ritchie, perez and atsu can all cover there until then. Spend our remaining cash on a quality stk, a solid DM, a LB and the inevitable GK.

• KevinHann

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:27 PM

I find the signing of Manquillo a troubling sign we are filling numbers with budget buys. I’m not convinced with the “Rafa can improve him” mantra attached to literally any player and as far as “Rafa must see something in him so I trust that” is concerned, I pretty much see Rafa himself saying between the lines he isn’t getting what he wants. Of course he won’t say straight “This isn’t quite the player I wanted” for a player he has to work with!

I asked a Sunderland fan I’ve known for a decade for an honest up-to-date opinion and here is what he shared:

“He is reasonably good on the ball in terms of comfortable, decent first touch and skillful. It’s his defending that made him so poor and he was quite weak too. As slow as a cart horse as well. I don’t think he’s premier league standard to be fair.”

It doesn’t fill me with confidence and I find it an underwhelming transfer whether he is supposed to be a backup player or cheap. Hope this sentiment is proven wrong!

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM

• giimps

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Jimmy, think of it as Rafa having a blank slate of a player to mold into what he wants done, Murphy to me is a considerable upgrade on Gouffy (as much as i liked how Gouffy worked hard for the team last season) I think our young squad , with a decent DM, Striker and Sweeper keeper and wel be ok, we wont win the league but wel not go down either unless something catastrophic happens and we have a mass injury crisis.
    Lejeune is decent, Manquillo, i cant say iv seen much of Murphy is decent but we have options now we didnt have before imho

• SA Toon

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:35 PM

I’m really excited about Murphy. I think he’s being underrated and with the obvious passion that he has for the club, I think he’s going to be a great signing. I would still like to see Samaris or McCarthy come in as DM, Batshuyi or Hernandez as striker, and a class number 10. I’m not sure who we could get in the number 10 roll (with all the wingers at our disposal, I even thought of trying Ritchie out for the job), but a good number 10 is, in my view, critical. Would be great if De Jong comes good (I’ve always had high hopes for him), but even if he does, his medical record is poor and he’s not dependable. Would’ve loved Tom Cairney, but that’s water under the bridge.

• Our Toon

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM

JP

I wouldn’t want us to go anywhere near Sturridge, the guy can barely play 90mins and certainly can’t play 2 games a week. Breaks down far to often as well, more injury prone than SDJ and that’s saying something.

Long is another one that doesn’t fill me with any confidence, hardly a goalscorer, in wouldn’t be surprised if Mitro has a better record than.

The others I would take, as for Das Boot, he’s massively expensive

• kc2012

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Javier Hernandez is now 1/5 to join West Ham from 4/7 Yesterday and expected to sign within the next 48 hours according to Sky Sports so we can write him off. We’re still favourites for Batshuayi and James Macarthy though, but surely we arent actually going to pay the £25m qutoed for Macarthy are we?

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Jail, only got to see your comment frm last night. Yes we still have one of the weakest squads in the league. We can talk all we like about getting Traore or another speedster but until we have them its meaningless. We could very easily have ended up second last season. We certainly didn’t run away with it . Either way, teams like Burnley and Stoke and WBA looks stronger than us so we have to make sure we area ahead of Huddersfield and Co. Right now, I don’t see ground for big optimism. Not yet. If Ash gives us another 60 mill to play with and we sign 3 class players with that money, I’d be happier. But 5m full backs who didn’t look great for the Makems isn’t that exciting . Lets hope for better.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Is Rafa trying to sell Mitro? Not sure about these rumours of a sale to Lyon….

• kc2012

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Sam Clucas anyone?

Has to be something in it as he’s now 1/3 to join Newcastle.

Sky sports transfer odds:

Sam Clucas
    Newcastle 1/3
    Swansea 16/1
    Leicester 20/1

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM

Do we have to sell Mitro before we go after Batshuayi? Or is this all bollocks? I’ve seen no real evidence we’re after Batshuayi other than vague wishy type rumours…..

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Sam Clucas? Surely not…..

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM

KevinHann

Interesting about his speed. Sunderland fan i work with said he was really quick! I don’t think it’s anything to worry ourselves about. I think he’ll turn out fine.

• kc2012

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Yeah we are 1/3 to get him Today, Yesterday we werent that odds on at all. Check this link, probably the best way to see who the bigger moneys being placed on maybe by inside sources….We are avourites for:

Batshuayi 7/2
    Clucas 1/3
    macarthy 7/2

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM

McCarthy is too expensive. Can’t see it. We’d better save wor pennies for Batshuyai…

• lesh

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Ron Knee

You’re becoming a font of information and Jib must be worried that his Googlemeister status under threat. If you’re trying to orchestrate a leadership challenge, the 1895 Committee’ll be tapping you on the shoulder. 🙂

Oh oh, if any of our younger posters born around 1972, had been planning on collecting your state pension at 67, you’ll be delighted to learn that you can now work until you’re 68. And they’re saying it’s fair – so that’s alright then! Yes, we sure do have a government that’s there working for the common people.

Enough, I’ve been naughty!

• kc2012

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Geordietwo

I agree with you on that one about Macarthy price

• lesh

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Ffs

Shearer’s picking up up to £450k a year for his BBC work. Yes, there are more getting more than him but salaries like that are just mind-boggling, whether in the public or private sector.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM

If we hadn’t bought Murphy I would have suggested a swap with Lyon.

Big Al for Memphis DePay they’re priced pretty much the same and
    although he’s done well since signing for Lyon in Feb the Dutchman
    thinks he still has unfinished business in the PL.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Aye kc2012. He’s a 10-12M pound player at best even with today’s inflated prices.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Lesh

In stark cotrast to you.

Ron Knee has always been a font of intersting stuff
    Not just NUFC related either.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM

contrast even

• Christopher Asprilla

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM

It definitely looks as if Rafa is plucking his squad players and one or two problem areas in the first team so he can see what’s left to spend on the two main acquisitions. The way their going about it we would only need a couple of major sales for example Mitrovic, Darlow, Colback and Mbemba to be in a really strong position. Couple that with the million or two for the likes of Saivet, Murphy, Lazaar, Krul and Rivière then a lot of freed up wages come into play as well. We could be looking at having 75-80 million left that could fund a new left back 8-10 million. 15-20 million on a experienced defensive midfielder. 20-25 million for a attacking midfielder and 25-30 for a striker. Boudebouz is up for 13 million I personally would snap their hands of for that . That would leave 20-25 million for a defensive midfielder William Carvalho anyone and enough money for us to sign a Islam Slimani or a Willian Jose . This could end up a brilliant window for us. I must admit I was very pessimistic as towards Ashley’s intentions especially when no one was coming through the door but now there’s a renewed sense of optimism. How a statement signing or two would lift us back to the jubilation of last season now. Ashley needs to see the optimism coming back and Rafa is sounding a lot more positive with his words since these two signings. It was only the other day he’d said that not spending in January meant their budget was already 30 million up. I don’t expect miracles but I’ve got the feeling Rafa is going to pull something special out before the window closes . Ashley might want to eventually sell but to allow our best manager for 10-15 years to break our transfer record would endear him that tiny bit more to the Magpies faithful like us . Here’s hoping!

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:47 PM

Christopher , that’s just all optimism mate. Thanks but I’m not sure why we have to but the cheaper players first….Ritchie at 10? Nope, I cant see it. We need better players than we are signing currently end of story. Lets just hope it happens and sooner rather than later.

• Moonraker15

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:03 PM

I’m getting a good feeling about these signings. How can anyone say Manqillo is no good after his season at Sunderland where Kyle Walker would have looked crap in that team?
    We need a creative midfielder who can run with the ball and a top striker and I’m sure we’ll have a good season!

• andrewsneill

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Batshuayi (30m), Gibbs (10m) and Jack Wilshere (16m). Sorted 0:o)