Newcastle Have A Window Of Opportunity To Sign This International Striker

The outlet GetWestLondon are reporting today that 24-year-old Diego Rolan of Bordeaux the Uruguayan International striker is stalling on a move to the London club.

The report says that Diego Rolan would prefer a move to the Premier league rather than play in England’s second division.

This is interesting for Newcastle since we have been linked a number of times this year with Rolan.

Forward Diego Rolan in Uruguay’s colors
Rafa – I can’t hear you!

And in fact, our records go back more than two years since we were first reported to be interested in the 24 times capped Uruguayan International forward (4 goals).

As we reported earlier this week Rolan met with Fulham officials twice last week but there has been no agreement on a deal.

Fulham are managed by the impressive Serbian Slavisa Jokanovic and they are keen to mount a real promotion challenge this year.

Fulham did agree a £5M fee with Bordeaux for the striker but the player has not agreed to put pen to paper for the Cottagers.

If Rafa Benitez is interested in signing a striker then now’s the time to move and seal the deal, since we think Diego would simply jump at the chance to sign for Newcastle United.

Rafa is wanting to bring in a striker and a playmaker once 23-year-old right back Javier Manquillo is signed.

Wonder what’s holding up Javier’s signing; he has already been seen in Dublin wearing Newcastle’s training gear.

What do you think?

Comments welcome

• Markaccus

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:48 PM

So Hernandez signs for west ham. Cue the blog meltdown……

• jazzyp

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM

East mid news have just reported Murphy deal all about done to Notts Forest.
    And our very own Murphy gets No30.
    On Rolan no thanks

• jazzyp

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Come home Andy, The blog has missed ya sunshine

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Ok Our Toon,
    If you can call Gamez a dud because he didn’t feature much because of two bad injuries then you’re right, he’s a dud.

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM

Please Please Do not sign Rolan I’d much prefer to keep Murphy. This guy is w@nk.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM

It’s a no from me on this one. Fulham are welcome to him. All the best to Murphy at Forest. Bag a hatrick against the mackems for us!

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Chicarito to Hammers 😮

Eds prepping the link as we speak!

• ToonTime

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM

I don’t think squad numbers are announce until the week before the season starts so any numbers worn at this point are irrelevant. Last season it was August 4th.

• jazzyp

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Hart, Hernandez and Aurno in this week at the Hammers.
    Wouldn’t have any of those at Nufc lol

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Jazzy
    Who are they? 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Talk

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Talking about how well the U23’s done compared to previous seasons, the development squad actually won their division, if that’s not directly down to Rafa’s arrival then I don’t know what is.

• magspuggy

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM

With the drop in profits at sports direct i wonder if they will be having a sale 90%off.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM

Jazzyp,
    I’m hoping Reina can be signed, he obviously works well with Rafa and could be just the vocal presence the defence needs.

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Jail

It’s unfortunate the injuries he got but Marcellino also got injured and was a dud, SDJ has been a dud as well so far. Anyway that’s enough on duds

• geordie abroad

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I fear this guy could be another Riviere.

• geordie157

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM

So Hernandez to West Ham…..Carroll coming back stories will appear very soon

If it happens, good luck to D.Murphy at Forest

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM

On Shelvey did he or didn’t he in regards to racism, I’d like to think he didn’t but he accepted the ban, he could have taken it further, even to the arbitration of sport to prove his innocence but he didn’t which makes me think he did use language which could be classed as racist.

If this had happened in reverse to one of our players would we say the opposing player is innocent? When it comes to things like this I don’t look at it as a football matter or I have to stick with a player that plays for my club. It’s one person saying something wrong to another person.

Shelvey accepted his punishment which I was surprised at and based on that alone I believe deep down he knows he was in the wrong

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Good signing for West ham, all I can think is they are paying him alot of money as they saved on the transfer fee

• jazzyp

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Shirebrook

Never heard of em mate to be honest.

Jail

Reina would offer presence at the back and would command the no1 spot.
    Something we haven’t really had since Given, Who incidentally would love back at the club in a coaching capacity or even in a ambassador role at Nufc

• toon kk

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM

Nufc is a fantastic club I’ve supported all my life, but by have we had some sh.t to put up with since Mash took over. The dross football has been unbelievable at times, 52 k piled into watch it as well.
    Many fans have (without realising it) lowered there acceptance for the club.
    Even second rate players fans say “get him signed up ” MA has a chance to put things right let’s hope he does,unfortunately there’s no evidence so far, only Rafa we need the players now.

• Ron Knee

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Diego Rolan – Non, non et non!

• lesh

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Our Toon

WHU leasing a stadium on the cheap means that we UK tax payers are contributing to Hernadez, Hart’s and others players wages.

Yes, we know it was a case of renting the London Stadium out on the cheap or leaving it to rot, but ffs…

• magspuggy

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Rolan no thanks we want better.

Andy carroll links will be in the press within 48hrs tbh i am surprised we dont have them now.

With D murphy looking like hes away we should be moving on a striker soon.

I wonder if the hold up is due to waiting to see who others buy so we can jump on the surplus.

We must have targets picked by now.

I would hope we give the new players time to settle in before season starts.

• ToonTime

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:01 PM

I don’t think we were ever interested in Hernandez. £20 million for a player who cost Bayer £8m only two years ago and only managed a goal every 165 minutes against German defences. Hopefully we have someone much better in our sights!

Toon KK you must be a very young Newcastle supporter. Apart from the blip that was the Keegan/Robson years we have had dross to put up with for over 50 years!

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:07 PM

Toon time

I thought Hernandez was 13m not 20m.

Lesh – disgusting how they got that stadium, it’s not exactly fair on others and they should and are in a position to pat for that stadium in full.

• AncientC

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:12 PM

It would have lifted morale no end, had Hernandez been signed, but he was more of a super-sub force in the PL. It will be interesting to see if he reverts back to that super-sub role at West Ham… I suspect he will, after, say, 10 or 15 games.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM

ToonTime
    Agree Been going to SJP since 1962-63 what have I seen odd fleeting glimspes of what we could become Keegan/Robson years the rest HAS been dross – 30 odd managers/caretaker managers.,
    Fairs Cup Win,69 The Texaco Cup and Anglo Italian Cup Into-Toto cup winners: division 2 Champions 65, 93, 2010 and 2016 – Not much silverware for 50 odd years. I think it is about 20-25 teams have won the FA Cup since we won it in 1955 and God knows how many teams have been Champions since us in 1927.

There is/was more than just Ashley who has screwed up the club – Me the biggest culprits to screw up were Hall and Shepherd when the top of the tree was in our grasp and they srewed it up by floating the club and taking millions I think it was about £45 million between the two families took out the club ending up where we could not get a bank loan unless we payed a stupid interest rate

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:21 PM

Andy Carroll
    If we could get him for under £10 million I would rip West Hams hands off – With the wingers we have and if we could get 20 games out of him he would terrorize defences – Because there is no one who can get to him in the air – a bit like my old hero Wyn Davies

• GeordieTwo

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM

Haven’t we done this one before? No Roll-on!

• Jib

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:25 PM

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM

@AncientC – totally agree. I don’t see Hernandez as someone who would be as effective when starting every single match in a season- he’s a great surprise and very effective off the bench and even at Leverkusen in the champions league he was often coming off the bench rather than starting every game.

I feel bad saying it as I really like him and his attitude is brilliant when playing but if it was a choice of spending ~£15m on him or someone else I would look at someone younger across Europe.

• magspuggy

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Charlie
    I wonder what wyn the leap would cost if available in todays market.

My grandad would compaire everyone to him and no one ever came close in his eyes.

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM

On Hernandez, what ppl fail to realise is that BL side was a shadow of what he joined in his first season, they sold good players and replaced with kids and it didn’t work out. His first season he was immense, at man Utd he didn’t get game time but but he’s not a super sub. Look at his record both at club and international level.

• Our Toon

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:31 PM

45 games for BL and 9 off the bench with 28 goals, that’s his league record.

• YoungMag :P

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM

Hmm so what our current best team?

______________Darlow
    Yedlin_Mbemba_lejeune_Manquillo
    ________Shelvey_Saivet
    __Ritchie____De Jong____Murphy
    ______________Gayle

????

Question marks over Darlow, Saivet, De Jong and Murphy aswell as Manquillo.

I mean, we still have Aarons and Atsu and perez to put somewhere. Hayden aswell.

• voodoo85

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM

@BBC Sport?

Breaking news…

Premier League clubs will no longer lose players to the Africa Cup of Nations mid-season. It’s being moved to June & July.

• voodoo85

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM

YoungMag @36

Wouldn’t Hayden get in ahead of Saivet and Lascelles in ahead of Mbemba ??

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:36 PM

I confess, my opinion on him has totally changed around. I used to say he absolutely wasn’t just a super sub and I still think he’d be a very good player for most teams I’d just rather spend that amount of money elsewhere.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Mags
    In all my years of seeing the TOON I have never seen anyone – for or against us (including Shearer, Ferdinand and Carrroll who I would say is the nearest today)- be able to leap as high hang in the air and had a bullet of a header. He would murder defenders today!!!!!!