Benitez Still Wants To Buy Specialized Left Back This Summer – Maybe This Player?

Our fourth signing of the summer was unveiled today with 23-year-old Javier Manquillo signing and Rafa was clear this morning to point out the Spanish U21 International can play in either full back position.

But with both Achraf Lazaar and Massadio Haidara expected to leave Newcastle this summer we still think that Rafa will want to bring a specialized left back in to challenge local lad Paul Dummett for that starting position next season.

Earlier in the week, we were linked with 23-year-old Real Betis full-back Riza Durmesi.

23-year-old Real Betis Danish International left-back Riza Durmesi

That news was from Italian outlet Calcio Mercato and Durmesi was born in Ishøj, Denmark and currently has 15 full caps for Denmark after playing for all of the Denmark Yout sides, including 9 times for the U21 side.

He is small at 5ft 6 ins and last summer penned a five-year contract with the La Liga club who paid his €2M release clause in his contract from former Denmark club Brondby.

His Real Betis contract has in it a buyout clause of €20M (£17.6M) but Calcio Mercato reported Newcastle were ready to bid initially around €10M (£8.8M) for the 23-year-old.

If we can get this lad in for around £8.8M it would seem to be a good buy and maybe the last defender Newcastle will buy this summer?

Maybe?

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Toontime

We were already behind those teams in terms of quality. I’d argue West ham have done well, Hernandez, arnatouvic and Hart.

Stoke have just got zouma on loan

• GeordieTwo

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Where are wor midgets???
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!!!
    Durmesi doesn’t count….

• GeordieTwo

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Stoke don’t look that strong on paper to me. I think we can beat them. West Ham is a different matter….

• firebug666

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM

G2

I don’t think we need to fear the likes of West Ham, let’s face it, you can have some great players in a squad, but if they don’t gel, or are mis – managed, the start to look quite ordinary or even crap, and we should know all about that from a couple of seasons ago.

But when it’s time for kick off its 11 v 11, and a poor 11 can still cause an upset. I fancy us to finish this season somewhere between 12th and 8th position, and ready to kick on next year.

• brklyngeordie

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Good thing about this player besides skills is English is very decent which makes for easier transition.. Also think it’s time to put some proper competition for Dummett on squad Haidara I think we all agree is not it and Lazaar seems not to be in plans so this would be a good move.

• magspuggy

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Links to jack wiltshire

I could see him doing a job for us

Newcastle isnt the best place for a young lad if its true hes fighting drink and drug demons.

Are we linked to all the england bairns yet?

Hes a canny holding midfielder i would not mind a punt on if the loan has an option to buy added.

What would he be worth to buy ??

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM

G2

Agreed they don’t look strong on paper stoke but will be interesting to see how they use the money they’ve just got

• mikeashleyisamackem

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM

We need to add real quality or am afraid it’s gonna be a long tough season
    We need 5 key players if you want to finish in the top half of the division
    It’s really that competitive in the division

• mikeashleyisamackem

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM

I think we should just go all out for Walcott personally
    Cost ya 30 million and big wages but if relagated you could still sell him in 12 months and get your money back

• mikeashleyisamackem

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Think we probs missed the boat on a lot of players
    It’s rediculous really
    They have had 12 months to sort players out

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Magspuggy

I think I read somewhere that he’s cost around 9m which is worth a punt in today’s market. I don’t think he is a holding midfielder though, he can play deeper or as a no10. Not a tough tackler, issues with attitude and rumours of drugs etc.

• ToonTime

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Our Toon: I don’t buy that we are behind those other teams on quality. Most of them only confirmed safety in the last two weeks of the season, while we won the championship with the most goals scored and least conceded.
    There’s a lot of dross down there, how else do you think the likes of the mighty Burnley and Bournemouth have managed to establish themselves the last couple of seasons? They didn’t spend much last summer.

West Ham have just thrown £16m-£20m at Hernandez who wants £140,000 per week wages (that’s another £5m more per season than Gayle gets). Let’s say another £20 million over a 4 year contract. So £35-40 million on a 29 year old impact sub. They only managed 47 goals last season and this certainly smacks of desperation. I’m not saying it won’t work, he had good pace in the box when he was younger, time will tell whether he still has it and can produce it through 90 minutes. Either way I reckon West Ham will be one of the teams we will be challenging for the top of the ‘others’ league for teams outside the top 7. That doesn’t say much for the rest of them.

• Jib

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:58 PM

mikeashleyisamackem
    Now am no brain scientist

You’re not wrong there – like

• toon kk

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM

I’m concerned are the number of fans that think we’re fine as we are??
    Who’s going to score our goals? especially if Gayle picked up a injury.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Toontime

Hernandez did carry on playing after he left man Utd, you might not have seen much of him bit he’s certainly not an impact sub as you put it. Gayle was a sub most of the time for palace he didn’t make am impact both when he started or when he came off the bench.

Hernandez played 54 times for Leverkusan in the league, 9 of those were sub appearances and he scored 28 goals, last season that team was shockingly poor as they’d sold best players etc. Explain how he’s a super sub?

I think we are beyond Burnley on paper though so agree with that, not sure about Bournemouth yet

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM

I also believe we are better than Swansea Brighton and Huddersfield on paper.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM

OT
    Not according to Welshie haha

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Would like us to tempt arsenal with a decent offer for Danny welbeck.

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:18 PM

mikeashleyisamackem /Our Toon / toon kk

just pleased i don’t sit next to you 3 at the match

• toon kk

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Toon time
    We didn’t run away with the league last season mate, we did a great job don’t get me wrong but we were capable of some sh.t. play as well, it will be harder this season. Saying we’ll be ok because other teams around the bottom aren’t as good has been MA thought for a long time.
    Recipe for disaster and total lack of ambition. Funny how fans accept mediocre these days at Newcastle.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Shirebrook

Ahh yes welshie won’t be happy with that but it’s the truth. 😉

• toon kk

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Hibbitt
    Reading the last paragraph of my last post.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Hibbit

Who else do you think we are better than on paper other than the 4 I’ve listed?

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM

toon kk

maybe you should practice what you preach and show a bit of support not all this defeatist crap which you continually spout

• ToonTime

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM

Sorry Our Toon, I meant he was an impact sub at Man Utd. You’re right I haven’t seen much of him since but if he managed 11 league goals last season in the Bundesliga playing full time then I stick by what I said that for £35m + its a huge gamble. Maybe it will pay off or maybe he will be their Michael Owen purchase. You just never know…

With regard to other teams outside the top 7 I wouldn’t take anyone else’s squad over ours. We just need to be patient and wait for Rafa to sort the striker position out. He will.

• toon kk

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Hibbitt
    I only want more from my club, that’s what I’m so disappointed about. MA takes advantage of easily pleased fans.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Right that’s me signed up to watch the match tomorrow. Bring it on!

• kc2012

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM

How many teams in this current Prem wouldve run away with the championship title last season outside the top 6/8. I very much doubt any of them. We played some very good stuff last season most of the time and blew teams away in alot of games and controlled the vast majority of games where as Brighton fought to scrape 1 goal wins. I think 1 or 2 strikers in as cover for Gayle and a holding mid and we’re more than capable of a mid table finish….Be even better if the fans actually got behind the lads. This is the 1st Time in a long Time that we have a full squad of players that want to play for the club and dont constantly moan about wanting ‘champions league’ football etc like in previous years.

On another note West Ham arent messing about this Summer. Top signings made by them.

• kc2012

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Also i’m on the Preston game Tomorrow so hopeully get to see the new lads in action.

• ToonTime

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Toon KK: All teams play shit at some point during a season. Even at the top of the Premier League. We had a bad start and some unlucky breaks with referees but we still finished top and I think we have a better squad than most if not all of the bottom half of the EPL. I think everyone agrees that if Rafa had been manager for the whole of the 15/16 season we would have been nowhere near the bottom of the league and so we’re way ahead of the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth when they arrived in the EPL.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM

hibbit,
    You’d be swapping seats mate.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Toontime

He didn’t do as well last season you are right to point that out, but he had a couple of injuries, played 26 games, 6 off the bench and scored 11 goals. That’s a good return in a poor side

• Jib

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Should have said ” beannacht Eire ”
    I was having a “Republican moment”
    😀

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Jail

Ahaha, if I was him I’d be swapping seats as well, who do you think we are better than in the league on paper as it stands?

I think we could be on for 15th position

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM

mikeashleyisamackem / Our Toon / toon kk

you 3 have us beat before a ball’s been kicked still ample time for team strengthening prem managers are all saying the same the markets crazy
    but you 3 go on like a broken record spouting your defeatist comments
    i honestly don’t think you’re newcastle supporters i have never read a good word about the toon from any of you just continual snipes and dig’s not one positive comment about anything newcastle from any of you

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM

toon kk

how will you more for your club by slagging other fans off it doesn’t work like that

• ToonTime

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Our Toon: West Ham are a poor side in a much tougher league. But £35 million to get 11 goals next season ain’t going to make them great! He might play more, he might score more, but you can’t say its not a huge gamble.

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM

get more

• mikeashleyisamackem

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Jib ,great one liner
    Your so funny
    Everyone is pissing themselves
    And yes you can read coz I said I am no brain scientist
    so yeah I am right again
    Just like am right when I say
    F off you little scrotum

1 2 3 5