What’s On Newcastle Fans’ Minds This Saturday Morning?

Daryl Murphy has signed for Nottingham Forest and the fans wish him well after he did a very good job for us last season  under difficult conditions.,

Daryl’s  simply a first class professional who will be remembered warmly by Newcastle and he should do well at Forest.

And of course this afternoon we have our second pre-season friendly at Preston and a win would be nice  – but it’s also important for the lads to play well and for Rafa to give as many players a run out in the game as possible.

Newcastle fans – in Rafa we trust – you can say that again
Newcastle fans – in Rafa we trust

And Rafa does like to win every game he plays…..

Here are some typical tweets this morning from Newcastle fans.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Quick lesson in Journalism for Lesh
    Rafa didn’t just fire off the sentences one after the other
    1 “We are trying to change some players.”
    2“We have to wait to see the right offers and then after we will see if we can add some players.”
    3“I think we need some more players.”
    4 “I wouldn’t say how many, but it also depends on the market.”
    5“Mike convinced me he would give us the last penny of the money available.”
    6 “We are not asking for more, we are asking for the money we can use.”
    7 “We can generate some more money.
    7“Hopefully we can do that.”

Between each set of quotation marks is a leading question which the journo has purposely left out
    It’s quite entertaining to try and guess what each Q may have been
    Eg between 4 and 5
    Do you believe the fireplacevomitingbetreneger Ashley will keep his word ?

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Didn’t log on yesterday but concerned that we can’t or won’t seem to compete for Arnautovic, chiccarito etc. This transfer window is certainly not going the way fans wanted and if we can’t get a good striker and others we could be in for a long season. Maybe Rafa has a plan, but it doesn’t look like it so far.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Way to go Munster
    Can we expect a whine for the next 40 mornings ?

• toontaff2

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Steady, Munster, or I’ll add you to my naysayers list! 😆

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Oh !
    Just a minute !
    Rafa may buy somebody in the next 6 weeks

• toontaff2

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:58 AM

JIB 😮
    I’m still going with your take on that Elvis Costello song!

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Bit of a hangover Jib so not in best of form so yes, don’t be surprised if I’m grumpy in my posts. Believe it or not, I have a signed pic of Rafa in my house, framed. Present from the wife and kids!

• Reilly

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Chiccarito wanted a 140 grand a week,no way are the club paying that and rightly so.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:09 AM

There’s new one now Taff !
    Diego’s coming to the toon singing

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Jib are u happy with the transfer work. I’ll wager Rafa is underwhelmed by both the delays in getting them in and the small outlays. We just all have to hope that one or two top players are coming. And I wouldn’t include Rolan at 5m in that. Hoping for best.

• Our Toon

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM

LG

Thanks for the back up mate, hope all is well out there.

Previous threads, good luck to Murphy at forest, good professional who did well for us last season. Not sure I’m happy with Rolan and hoping it’s just paper talk, he can play wide though but not overwhelmed by this continuing link.

We can enjoy a friendly, hope SDJ plays in the no10 role again

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Munster
    I’m with BobbyBee on this one
    Rafa gives the impression of a man scrimping and saving for one real big jaw-dropper of a signing.
    He’s already said that he has lee-way from Ashley on wages as well as fees.
    Diego Costa
    Gonzalo Higuain
    Zlatan
    Nothing would surprise me

• Our Toon

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Jib

Costa, Zlatan or Higuain? Really

Btw zlatan is out until January/ Feb

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM

well done our toon a post without a defeatist comment thats a good start to any day.
    could make a supporter of you yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mr Funk

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM

@ Jib

I think i would prefer 3 players for about £15m each rather than 1 player for £45m.

I think it would be possible to get Samaris, Andre Gray and Boudebouz for about £45m

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM

OK scratch Zlatan
    His hearts with Manyoo anyway

• Jib

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:31 AM

OK lower the sights slightly
    Fernando Llorente
    Christian Benteke
    Josh King
    All proven PL goal scorers

• Our Toon

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Hibbit

Still reading my posts but refusing to comment on where you think we’d finish!!

• Our Toon

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Jib

Ahaha, Llorente is one we could afford but he’s not mobile at all, excellent on crosses and good at holding the ball up. Other than that not much to write home about

Benteke would cost around 30m if not more and add his wages he’ll want a lot, Josh king I do like a lot but fear he will also cost a lot, I thought spurs might have made a move for him so surprised he’s still at Bournemouth

• toontaff2

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM

JIB, you forgot
    Andy Carrol
    Peter Couch
    Charlie Austin

• cyprus

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:41 AM

101 cookies in use at this blog, Ed! Lots getting in on the action 🙂

Kacper, my man, where ART though? I guess the ‘hearts’ symbol is no big deal though you did say you’d do something about it. But: since it’s a blog, it should be easy to go to the last page. I do know, that it’s best for advertisers that more pages are visited, but you should at least make it easier to press the last page button. Come on man, you’ve disappeared 😉

• yorkshire_magpie

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Breaking News 10M Bid from WBA for Gibbs rejected by Arsenal.

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:58 AM

I can’t understand why we can’t bid that kind of money for a player like Gibbs. We were only out of the prem money for 1 season, not 10?

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Our Toon

i read all the posts
    just because i don’t agree with you doesn’t mean i won’t read your posts

first season back in th the prem for any club will be difficult but this season even more so , the 3 clubs going have a massive job on their hands due to the massive tv deal last season and the money the other 17 clubs have available to them
    i get your concerns about signings but i think at this moment intime your total overreacting and and that
    you’re completely caught up in the press and media speculation you also set far to much credence to to fifa / football manager ratings if when the window close we haven’t improved the squad feel free to comment till then it’s all speculation

as for our position anywhere between 10/14 would be great but i dream of 1st

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM

For those that can’t get to Preston, there’s the U23s playing The Heed at Gateshead which should be a good watch..

I won’t even be able to catch the commentary or a stream as the missus wants to go to a folk festival at a local park, although it does look like it will be a good day out. So no real complaint there, I will however make sure there’s nowt happening when we play Spurs.

And it was with a tiny bit of relief to see the word ‘marque’ (as in top of the range cars) used for quality signings rather than marquee, did wonder why people wanted us to buy large tents.

I know I’m being picky. 🙂

• WLtoon

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Well, if its true that we have to sell before we can buy better quality, it means we are practically skint. Once again the fat cockney slug is treating the fans with contempt, he better be very careful,, bcos Benitez will be off. Talk of having 80 to 100M to spend are obviously utter nonsense. Rumours about 30 to 40M are much more accurate judging by our so called targets. i mean, 5M for a striker, i. e Rolan, come on ffs. Boro have spend 3 times that much on a striker playing in the championship.

• Mr Funk

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM

@ Munster

Could have had Jetro WIllems for half the price of Gibbs.

I personally think we are not going for anymore full backs. It’s going to be a striker, a CDM and maybe a AMC

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM

is this Rolan link not just the press/media/agent using us as a crutch it’s too easy for them to mark us down as interested

• Mr Funk

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM

@ Hibbit

I think the Rolan link is just the press generating interest based on past stories

• toon kk

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Morning hibbitt.
    Roland link could very easily be a press etc link but if he arrives who knows he could surprise us all.
    I do think Rafa is off loading players before we know what money is available for cirtain targets, He’s a little concerned about Mash though by the comments on hopefully Mike will still to his word.

• toon kk

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:49 AM

Rolan not Roland

• magspuggy

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:49 AM

Dam shame the rain looks like its going to spoil the airshow.

But tbh the locals could do with a wash.

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM

EGB

“Marquee signing” is correct, according to Collins online dictionary.

Example: The changes should allow the clubs to retain their home-grown players and also to compete for marquee international signings.
    Times, Sunday Times (2014)

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM

toon kk
    good morning

has Rafa restated this or is it just a rehash of the original story ??

• toon kk

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Hibbitt
    I hope he hasn’t restated it. That would be worrying.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Copied from Jibs link

The real story here is the marque/marquee confusion; the mix-up falls into my ‘almost but not quite’ category. Recently, and especially in copy straight from the U.S., I’ve seen a plethora of ‘marquee’ use. From the Wall Street Journal (who should know better): “For now, Germany’s marquee corporations, such as Siemens AG and BMW AG…” They meant ‘marque’, the brand, and possibly they meant the ‘really good brand’. I’m sure they didn’t mean to talk about Germany’s big tent (marquee) corporations.

And Mukherjee? Well, he just happened to be on the same page of my notebook as my marque/marquee reminder. One of my clients had managed to refer to him as Mr Mujherejee. A good proofreader really does come in handy!

Don’t know if it clarifies the correct usage of either word being used as players are neither ‘tents’ or ‘brands’ although they are more of a brand ie Beckham in this day and age. 😉

• kc2012

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Zlatan, Diego Costa or Gonzalo higuain hahaha funniest thing ive read on here all Year

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:17 PM

EGB/Jib

I found this:-

“The US term ‘marquee’ is intended to convey a banner which draws attention and is also used in web design for scrolling text …”

So “marquee signing” is US in origin.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Morning hibbit and toontaff2 and jail if he’s been let out yet any news on any signing hibbit what’s that about rafa