What Remains Between Newcastle Fans And Departed Striker – Mutual Respect And Thanks

Daryl Murphy was an extremely popular player at Newcastle because when he was asked by the manager – he came into the first team and delivered the goods for Newcastle with six goals and one assist.

Daryl was also a very positive voice in the dressing room and on the training pitch and the manager Rafa Benitez kept praising his attitude and professionalism.

Murphy has been interviewed after his move to Nottingham Forest last week in the local Nottingham Post.

34-year-old Daryl Murphy – played well for Newcastle last term

This is some of what the big Irishman had to say:

“It was a difficult decision but, if I am being realistic, I would have had to wait for my chance at Newcastle.”

“I need to be playing. I want to be playing football and hopefully, I can come here and get games.”

“It was brilliant there. I thank the manager – I can’t thank the manager and the fans enough.”

“They took to me, I had to bide my time when I first signed because they were playing well and winning games.”

“When my chance came, I did well, I scored a couple of goals and we won the league in the end, which was great.”

“But I am definitely very happy to be here, I am just looking forward to getting going now, really.”

And the feeling is mutual with Rafa Benitez  – who had this to say in the Irish Times late last week on the 26 times capped Irish International. when he and the Newcastle first team squad were in Dublin on their training camp:

At the time the Newcastle first-team squad were in Dublin on their training camp.:

This is what Rafa had to say:

“We are talking about different things in the Premier League, and we have some clubs asking about him.”

“We have been chatting at training in recent days, and he knows that if a club comes in, he will go on a permanent transfer once the deal is best for him and us.”

“I was really pleased with his contribution last season, not just because he played games and scored goals, but he led by example, both in the dressing room and training. “He was a positive influence on the team.”

One thing Daryl brought to Newcastle last season was a cool and experienced head and he was a leader in the dressing room and was a great example to our younger players at the club.

He never complained about not playing last year even though he had very few games before the turn of the year.

The 34-year-old always said he was ready when called upon and he was right about that because when he got games after Dwight Gayle was injured in mid-January he scored goals for us.

Whether it was £3M or £4M we eventually paid for him after our promotion ( we were reported to give Ipswich £1M for him when we were promoted ) he was worth every penny and it was a very shrewd signing by the sage Rafa Benitez.

We will be following Daryl’s career at Forest and hope he does very well for the former Europan Champions ( 1979 and 1980) under the great Brian Clough and his assistant Peter Taylor.

• MAUTITOON

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Has chancel mbemba been put for sale?

• Tinman

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Hold on a second mate, I’ll just check eBay

• MAUTITOON

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:59 PM

what the search on e bay resulted?lol

• lochinvar

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM

So the choice is Clucas for £4m or outbid Everton who’ve offered £45m for Sigurdsson
    And the wages to go with it
    Incomprehensible

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:49 PM

Any meaningful links from today or any movement of sort?

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Lochinvar

I’m sure there’s more than just those 2 as an option, i’m not keen on Rolan who keeps appearing as a link or clucas.

• Markaccus

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:54 PM

I see the bookies have installed Rafa as favorite to be the first to leave his position. Time for one or two posters to put their money where their mouth is 😉

• Markaccus

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:56 PM

Shots fired 😀

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:56 PM

The Mackems are trying to buy Cameron Jerome !!! At least they are preparing for a few seasons in the fizzy pop!!

• toon kk

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Are we still trying to strengthen our championship squad or have we been linked with a premier league quality player yet?

• toon kk

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:12 PM

I just don’t trust Cashley.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Posted in the national newspapers by NUFC:
    Wanted: give us your top players and prospects for your rock bottom prices now (your Clucas’s, your Ojo’s, what have you). We are poor! Take pity on us! Give us your best bargains. We also accept loans (if you are willing to pay 75% of the wage). Act now! Don’t miss this golden opportunity to help us out!

• Jib

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM

With Chicharito going to West Ham
    NUFC are the only players bidding in the market for Andre Gray.
    Burnley will likely have to drop their £15m asking price.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM

A cunning plan indeed Herr Charnley…..

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM

I don’t know what to make of this summer plan of ours. Are we going to be strong enough to compete in the Prem? I would have to guess no, not really. We might be able to beat the bottom 6 sides once in a while and even get the odd win against teams in the 8th-14th range but that’s about it. How many points will that be? A very dangerous approach and a good way to lose our manager.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM

It’s one thing to be confident of our manager, it’s another to expect miracles from him. For us to finish above 14th or 15th with the current squad falls into the miraculous category.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Time to wake Mike Asscrack up Herr Charnley. Tell him he’s in danger of getting us relegated again…..

• Canadian Mag

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:32 PM

We finished 5th with the hapless Pardew as our manager. Miracles do happen mate

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Wake up wor Asscrack!!!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!!!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM

We’ve also been relegated twice with Herr Asscrack Canuck Mag. Good to see you on here. Where do you call home?

• toon kk

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM

G2
    Very true a extremely risky strategy, a team capable of back and sideways football and a vacant management position.
    Good old Mash and Charnless never fail to deliver.
    Not looking good atm.

• giimps

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM

We also employed mctufty……..nuff said

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM

As I see it we’re developing decent wingers and we’ve strengthened a bit at the back with Lejeune, but the core positions of keeper, CM and striker remain untouched. That’s a very dangerous approach and the number of affordable options to bring in gets reduced every day we dither. Pull the finger oot Herr Charnley!!!

• Canadian Mag

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Part of the small black and white contingent in Northern Ontario G2.

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM

G2

I said something similar the other day, rafa is a class manager but when was the last time he had a squad like this to work with in his career?

Everywhere he’s been he’s had at least the 8th best squad and that’s a worst case scenario. In the cups he’s worked wonders and that’s where he’s got most of his trophies, in the league his team’s have under performed or done what was expected with the exception of Valencia many moons ago.

I’m not knocking rafa as he’s had a stellar career but I do fear a lot of fans putting to much emphasis on him being a very good manager, he’s not a miracle worker.

We’ve bought decent squad players but now need to improve the starting xi with real quality

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM

And if we don’t want Steve McMuffin or Johnny C. back in charge we need to get on with it! Wake up wor Asscrack!!!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!!!

• Canadian Mag

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:39 PM

I reckon we will be alright. New signings of better quality will come in. Otherwise we will need to really push on and win as much as possible during the early season while the lads still have their heads up

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Good God Canuck Mag! That’s amazing! I lived many a year in Sault Ste. Marie. Moose and black flies! That’s the way to live!!!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Keep Rafa! Sell Asscrack!!!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM

For Sale: One useless tit of an owner. Guaranteed to run your club into the ground in 10 years or less. We will accept your best offer immediately. No returns accepted……

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM

I agree Canuck Mag. We’ll need to plunder wor points early in the season. I can’t see us forking out for any decent strikers. I’m guessing we might get another couple of young’uns in for a further spend of less than 20M and we’ll sell a few to get aboot 10M of that back. Not good enough….. And spot on Our Toon. This window has not been good enough at all. Rafa will know that.

• Canadian Mag

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Black flies are thankfully done. Just about got eaten to the bones by mozzies while picking blueberries this weekend though. The things I need to do to distract myself from lack of football

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Need a clown at your club? Bored with the same old same old? Well you’ve come to the right place. Let us entertain you, let us make you smile. Hire an Asscrack and never stop larfing! Any offer will do!!!

• cjtoon

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Our Toon,

I feel similarly I like Rafa as a man and love the effect his arrival had on the fanbase mainly in terms of positivity but honestly still feel he has a lot to prove with us. Last season there was a job to be done and it was done however it wasn’t all smooth sailing and we had the squad to do it.

I don’t think our ‘game’ has changed a huge amount since his arrival even though we did get better at the end of the relegation season. I know he inherited the majority of players in the squad and perhaps some were bought out of necessity/haste last season but I don’t find many of his transfers to date super inspiring either.

So even though i’m excited for the season and I love the positivity surrounding Rafa at Nufc i’m not totally sold on it yet. As we all know things get toxic pretty quick with our fan-base so the circus might be in full swing again by the time we kick off the season, who knows…

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Excellent blueberries up there. It’s a good life if you’re into the outdoors. I spent all my youth getting in trouble at school and playing footie. Loads of fun…..

• Ron Knee

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:51 PM

G2@31

If we don’t make any decent signings soon we can write off nine preciousss pointsss in August.

• toon kk

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM

Our toon
    Very true about Rafa, I’ve always said that he has worked with top sides, he is very good manager but no miracle man like so many think, I also think MA thinks that having Rafa will save him Money by getting more out of average players.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM

It all comes down to Punch and Judy. Mike Punch Asscrack and Judy Charnley that is. Absolutely useless. Finally managed to get a decent manager in after 10 years and they’re now busy screwing that up. You couldn’t make this up…..

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM

You might be right Ron mate. We might beat Hudders, but I see us losing to Spurs and Spam. September looks like a month we would have to do well in. Swansea, Stoke and Brighton to play. We would need at least 5 points out of those….. to be at 8 points from 6 matches.

• Ron Knee

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:57 PM

The Chronic says:-

The Magpies have been linked with Hull City’s Sam Clucas but it is believed that no approach has been made yet for the left-sided midfielder.

1 2 3 7