Newcastle Will Still Want To Sign This 26-Year-Old Talented And Versatile Playmaker For £10M

Newcastle is still in the race to sign 26-year-old Napoli central midfielder Allan, according to a report in the Sun – and even though we will be signing 21-year-old Spanish holding midfielder Mikel Merino today Rafa could still want the Napoli midfielder at Newcastle on a permanent deal.

That’s because Allan can play in either central midfield position and if we sign the Brazilian U20 International he can be used as a playmaker.

It’s also to Newcastle’s advantage that he can also play as a defensive midfielder.

26-year-old Napoli’s Brazilain midfielder Allan

The fee is said to be around £10M and the Sun reported Napoli were willing to sell him this summer.

The two Premier League clubs who will challenge Newcastle for the player are Southampton and West Bromwich Albion but we seem to have some good momentum in the transfer market at the moment.

We have signed both Jacob Murphy and Javier Manquillo in the last eight days and are expected to sign 21-year-old Mikel Merino today once he passes his medical – so three players signed in 8 days is good.

The Chronicle is reporting Newcastle are working on several deals at once and hopefully, Allan, who is highly regarded as a very good technical player could be the next one through the door on Tyneside.

The U20 Brazilian Youth International was signed by Napoli two years ago from Udinese after three years at the Zebrette – and he has since played 82 times for Napoli with 4 goals and 12 assists.

He will offer us some skill and class in central midfield and will be able to deputise for Jonjo Shelvey and also challenge the former Swansea City playmaker for a central midfield starting position in the Newcastle side next season.

That’s more competition for places at Newcastle and that has to be good.

What do you think?

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM

I’ve read around on this lad. Seems to be HIGHLY rated by Napoli fans.

By how they talk about him, £10 Mil is a steal

• toontaff2

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM

Well, Runaway, lad a 4-0 pasting, a new signing and the sun is oot! 😆
    Things looking a lot brighter, today. 😎

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:37 AM

sitc,
    A Liverpool fan asked me how I think we’ll do this season. I said we 100% won’t be relegated and top ten isn’t too unrealistic although 12/13th is more likely. He then went on to say that we’re deluded. This deluded tag has been started by the mackems and smoggies and seems to have caught on with other fans. How is wanting to win a cup being deluded, Luton, Oxford and Wimbledon have won one since we did last. And as for finishing as high as tenth we almost did with Hughton/Pardew last time round, surrendering a three goal lead on the last day to drop to 12th? I think people will underestimate us at their cost and we’ll take some big scalps both home and away.

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Jail

Mackems saying we are deluded, but they all reckon they are coming straight back up.

Either they are thick as mince or trying to be ironic, not sure it’s the latter.

• expatmag

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM

JFA
    Ageeed

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM

It seems to me that we should be looking at players who have not been linked to us if we wish to try and guess who Rafa will bring in next. Twice now he has managed to sneak players in under the radar, leaving the press and tv media foundering along behind.

It won’t stop a good story from being printed though, must have reach 200 linked players by now, but just shows the media know nowt. Rafa doesn’t just keep his cards close to his chest, he has them in a sealed envelope in the inside zip pocket of his jacket 😀

Makes this window a little more exciting like, not knowing who is coming in until they are here.

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM

Allan is more of a CDM than a play maker from what I can tell not sure he will be pushing Shelvey tbh more likely he will start ahead of Hayden if he signs and the lad from Dortmund would be pushing Shelvey Id guess anyway

• sing in the corner

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM

JfA
    Yes I agree. It’s not outlandish for us to aim a little higher than we ‘expect’. Mid table would be a good achievement, and howay, any football fan in the top 2 leagues who doesn’t harbour hope of a cup ride is just downright pessimistic 🙂
    It’s great to see us with youthful exuberance and pace in the side. Expectations were higher last season given where we were and where we needed to get at all costs., So the pressure isn’t as great, strangely?

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:47 AM

firebug
    Tbf mate its squad players who have come through unlinked first teamers have been heavily linked so far

• jackostoon

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Morning and off topic,
    Just watched a video on YouTube, Beardsley v Messi, uncanny, what I’d give to have another Beardsley playing for us.

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:58 AM

WWSBRD

Manquillo and Merino were not linked mate and they will be first teamers, Atsu was but then we had an option to buy with him, and there was plenty of speculation as to whether we would activate the option or not, and Murphy appeared a couple of weeks before we went for him. All these players will see first team action this term.

I read an interesting article from Issac Hayden this morning, he says “Isaac Hayden speaking to the official club site:

“The manager is trying to produce competition for places and I think that’s going to be imperative going forward

“Nobody wants to feel that they’re in the team, everyone wants to be kept on their toes, trying their best in training every day to create the right impression.

“And then when they do get the chance, they have to show something, otherwise they won’t play.

“The atmosphere that is being created is that nobody’s in the team, that everyone has got a chance, and it is about what you do when you do get the chance.

“The first game (at Hearts) was quite good, the second (v Preston) not so good, but tonight the passing was a bit slicker and we moved the ball quickly.

“We are just trying to learn as much as we can, to learn what the manager wants for the new season, trying out new things – and it worked tonight.

“In the first half we created a lot of chances, and being critical, we should have taken at least one or two.

“But that will come and it is only the third game. We are halfway through the pre-season games and hopefully, we should be good for the last three.

“I think I need to get the minutes under my belt as I missed the first game through a little knock and I was a little bit behind.

“But Ireland was a good week, and I got 45 minutes on Saturday which blew the cobwebs out.

“Tonight, physically, I felt a bit better than I did on Saturday – on Saturday I felt I couldn’t move to be honest!

“I felt much more like myself (tonight) and if I can just build on these minutes, I’ll be back to full fitness very soon.”

So I think they are all squad players, and all first teamers…….potentially!

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:58 AM

sing

You’re right. The pressure was much more intense last season. We had to grind out the points match after match to ensure promotion.

• martoon

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM

I don’t know either player but it sounds as if Merino and Allen play in similar positions – does that not mean it is likely to be either/or rather than both of them? Obviously Merino is favourite.
    Also why is it his name makes me think of the mermaid in Stingray? – I think she was Merina 🙂

• Mag52

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Jail.

Aren’t you forgetting that outstanding fifth place finish a season or two ago ?

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM

firebug
    Manquillo and Merino will be squad players mate not first teamers, they will see action but arent going to be first choice, Murphy and Lejeune will play a lot but they were both heavily linked before signing. We havent brought in anyone top quality under the radar

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM

martoon
    Not sure Merino would travel to Newcastle and complete a medical unless he was signing tbh we arent a top draw vacation destination after all, even after he signs though we are still without a proven quality CDM which Rafa has wanted so hopefully hes not the only one we bring in

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Mag 52,
    No, just that we were talking about just being promoted.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Apart from his Johnstones paint trophy that will remain forever as Pardew biggest achievement in football.

• Markaccus

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Martoon

Allen is allegedly a play maker, so could possibly be the cover we need at 10, for when SDJ inevitably loses a leg or something 😀

• Markaccus

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Manquillo looks like he will be a bench sitter to start with. It’s quite possible Merino will play more, though. Most of dortmunds bench would get plenty 1st team football here.

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:13 AM

WWSBRD

I don’t know who will be in the first team mate, and wouldn’t dare to hazard a guess. But Merino is allegedly a very good player, has great vision and can read the game very well for one so young, he is said to have a very good mid to long passing range that can split defenses. he may be brought in to complement Shelvey or to allow Shelvey a few days off who knows on that score?

My guess is not all of our targets will be known, I recon a couple of more swift deals under the radar will happen.

Anyway I have to go out , being bullied by my daughter to go and feed the chickens.

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:16 AM

firebug
    Of our squad mate I think theres a fair few u could say are going to be starters more often than not. On Merino I dont know much about him but I dont see Rafa risking our survival on a inexperienced youngster who has barely played in a year rather than bringing in a proven starter but who knows

I agree some will be under the radar but for the most part it’ll be players we have been linked with imo

Haha have fun with the chickens mate

• SA Toon

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM

I really like the look of Allan, but with Mikel in Newcastle for a medical I assumed we would move on. I’ll be stoked if Ed is right and we sign both. If we follow that up with a season long loan of Michy Batshuayi (with or without an option to buy) I’ll be over the moon. After some frustrating times over the past few weeks, things really do seem to be looking up again. Nice to see Murphy slot a few last night and even better to see Aarons firing again. I only hope he can stay fit. HOWAY THE LADS

• Bryan

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Are we all missing the point here? At the end of last season Rafa said he would be looking to sign Premier League experienced players to go straight into the 1st team. We all know why Rafa said that, its because he knew, as well as all Toon fans, that that squad was not good enough for the Premier League. Of the 5 we have signed so far, non have played a single game in the Premier League. All that has happened is we have added average players to a very average squad. Hence we are going backwards not forwards. Unless the quality of signings increases considerably during the remainder of the transfer window, we are going to be in serious trouble. Anyone who thinks the squad as it is, is cable of competing in the Premier League is crazy. I hope and prayer that Rafa has a couple of jewel’s up his sleeve or else its going to be a very long season.