Stuart McCall Praises Newcastle – They Had Strength And Pace All Over The Park

Last night’s game at Valley Parade was a friendly game to further the growing relationship between the two clubs as we lend out some of our top youngsters to Bradford City and Rafa has even said he will visit the Valley Parade club to see how they coach the lads.

Newcastle fielded our best side last night so we should not get carried away with the 4-0 result and on the other hand, Bradford fans shouldn’t get downhearted by the loss.

We are likely to keep this fixture on the map at Newcastle for a few pre-seasons as hopefully the good relationship between the two clubs gets even better for the mutual benefit of both clubs

53-year-old Bradford Coty manager Stuart McCall in his office

Stuart McCall has been talking to the local Telegraph & Argus paper and the Leeds-born 53-year-old is down to earth and truthful about what happened last night – especially in the second half:

“It’s a difficult watch for the punters because they want to see us attacking and going forward. The realisation is when you know what you’re up against and the quality.”

“They had strength and pace all over the park and you saw Jonjo Shelvey’s passing ability.”

“We were absolutely delighted with the work ethic of the boys in the first half but we were always going to tire.”

“They brought a lot of fresh legs on and we’ve got a few injuries at the minute.” “We knew it was a massive step up, even from Saturday against Sunderland.”

“It’s not enjoyable when you’re on the other end of it. I’ve played in games when you’ve not had a kick of the ball and it’s really tough.”

“But we’re not down about the game. It’s gone and we’ll be positive for the next ten days before we play Blackpool.”

“We played in a way we’ll never, ever play in again, certainly at home.”

“But we knew with their quality, we had to put out a shape which we hoped could subdue them.”

“We did that until they scored two early goals in the second half.”

“It was hard work but I’m pleased we’ve got it out of the way. We knew it was going to be a night like that.”

Rafa will be happy that we now had more pace in the side, which was a requirement this summer to help us in our fast breaks in the Premier League.

The first game in the league is a 1:30 kick-off at home to Tottenham Hotspur at St. James’ Park on Sunday, 13th August.

In the very last game we played in the Premier League in May of last year we hammered Spurs 5-1 at home. and they dropped from second place to third place in the PL and north London rivals Arsenal overtook them – what could be worse than that?

They dropped from second place to third place in the PL because of that defeat and north London rivals Arsenal overtook them – what could be worse than that?

🙂

Last season they finished second in the league to Chelsea and they will no doubt be a real test for us on August 13th – unlucky for some.

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:47 AM

• beermonkey

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:50 AM

ron

i would say the list is longer than that for players wants rid off
    for most i would just let them go for free just to get there wages off the books

• Rotonda heights

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM

I guess the previous folly of not paying maginally more for our top targets at the time and then dropping down to 5th and 6th choices and putting them on expensive long term contracts is coming back to bite us big time.

Colback, Diame, Saivet, Riviere, Krul, Lazaar, Haidara and maybe more is asking to shift a lot in a very short time with no real buyers in sight to take them off our hands.

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM

beer

The Chronicle is suggesting he’d sell SDJ if he received a reasonable offer.

Should have no trouble finding a new home for Hanley, at least!

• ToonTime

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Onefineday: From previous thread. West Ham haven’t signed one player I wish we’d signed. They’re signing 29 and 30 year olds looking for one last pay check, while we’re signing the likes of Merino and Murphy and our captain is only 23. Jeez, our new vice captain Mitro is only 22!!! 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Some players will be near impossible to move on

• ScoopSouthAfrica

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Martoon from a post a few threads ago, I’m showing my age but if I recollect it was…..
    Maria Aqua Maria.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Morning Ron

• ToonTime

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Rotonda: I doubt very much Diame is for sale and I don’t think we’ll have any trouble getting our money back on Colback if indeed he has been upgraded. Where do you think the buyers are hanging out that we might have noticed them. Newcastle do their deals on the quiet as we all know…

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Morning jesper

I see Diamé got lukewarm ratings from the Mag and Chronic.

• Mag52

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM

As Beermonkey says, get them off our hands at peppercorn prices or on ‘frees’.
    They mustn’t be allowed to stop us from getting in the quality players Rafa needs to hold our own in the PL.

• Mag52

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Please don’t sell Siem.

• beermonkey

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM

RH

yes 3 years with a 1 or 2 year option after a good year is what we should have done,
    look at players like xisco he had the best part of 13mill in wages in his time with us
    i bet our dead wood is costing us 250k a week prob more

ron

i still think sdj could do a job in a back up roll but if rafa wants rid i wont cry

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Seen that a lot of people were impressed with Lejeune last night, I’ve not managed to watch it yet, how did he get on?

• nightfa11

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM

If we sign merino and allan we’ll have shelvey, Hayden, merino, allan, colback diame, saviet – 7 players fighting for 2 places..so I expect colback, saviet and diame to be sold.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Ron…I think we’ll sell anyone if the offer was right…but we’ll enough problem getting rid of players as it is

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM

*will have

• kc2012

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Toontime,

I think West Ham are having a very good window imo. Zabaletta, Hart, Chicarito and Arnoutavic are all very experienced and quality players to add to their squad. I’d take any of them at Newcastle to be honest.

As for Everton, Sandro Ramirez at £5.2m has to be the best deal of the Summer.

• msk21dec

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM

OK guys for the people who dont know much about Allan. I watched him first when he played for Udinese vs Juventus a few seasons ago and he was tasked with marking Pogba. I watched that game live on bt sport. That game Allan stopped pogba from doing anything he won the ball off pogba everytime. Pogba hardly touched the ball all game. He destroyed pogba in that game so much pogba got frustrated and started kicking off. Ive rated Allan since. Allan even drove the ball forward and started attacks after winning the ball. All the things pogba should have been doing that game. In that game Pogba was supposed to be the big juve midfielder as they had no pirlo or vidal but he failed miserably. So yep Allan will be a real coup if we can get him for under 20 million. Because i rate him much higher than mediocre players like mccarthy who are quoted at 25 mill. And if pogba is a 100 mill player Well how much should Allan be??

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM

TFA

Lejeune got good ratings, but Tinman, who was at the match, said he was slow.

We should be able to judge for ourselves on NUFCTV later.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I would really love if we would sign some experienced PL quality

• martoon

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM

ScoopSouthAfrica – Just Googled it we were close but both wrong it was actually Aqua Marina – however I think we’ve hit upon the chant for our new player – Mikel Merino to the tune of Aqua Marina fits 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Ron…where in France are you stationed? Not in the south I hope!

• ToonTime

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM

KC: I respect your opinion mate. I don’t think we were after any of them. That is West Ham rebuilding their squad after a poor season last term. I’m glad we’re not rebuilding with 29-30 year olds. Can’t see Rafa splashing the cash on that age group.

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM

jesper

Safely in the South West!

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Ron

IMO doesn’t matter if they are slow if they are switched on.

I’ll leave my judging for when I see them in Wolfsburg next week 🙂

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM

I was referring to CB’s with the slow remark

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM

WHam and Everton have definitely had a good window on paper

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Ron…that is good to hear mate

• ToonFanAbroad

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Only player West Ham have signed I would have liked is Chicharito

• martoon

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Mag52 & beermonkey – As I said yesterday even if we gave these players away the problem would always be their wages. We could agree to mutually terminate their contracts but I think that would mean we would agree to pay them a percentage of their total wages which would obviously be a fair lump. So we may as well continue to pay their wages in the hope they will find another club themselves!

• G

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM

msk21dec, I didn’t see that game, however, I have seen enough of him to know he can dominate a midfield. Would love him in a Toon top. If they can put him in one for less than 10M it would be quite a coup.

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM

jesper

It’s raining (again) here. I pity the holidaymakers.

TFA

Are Wolfsburg a good team? I know very little about German football!

• Our Toon

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM

With riviere I think we should just pay him off and get rid, isn’t he in final year of contract, cash upfront for slightly less than what he would earn and off you go son.

Saviet will leave this window I have no doubt of that, probably on loan somewhere.

Diame I think he’ll stay with us

Colback hopefully off to villa, Lazaar needs to also find a new club and same with both darlow and krul.

I’m excited by the news on bats, might be bs but I’ll allow myself hope

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Ron…we haven’t had on day in July that’s classify as summer weather here in Denmark…and it’s raining here as well

• msk21dec

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Another midfielder we should consider is Rincon from juventus. Another who can drive ball forward from midfield. Maybe Giovinco who pays in canada hes wasting his career in that league. One player who impressed me during u21 euros was chiesa of fiorentina. Good young player

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Why the need to move Darlow on?

• G

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:33 AM

+1 for the Chiesa argument. Superb prospect. Is he related to Enrico Chiesa? He was brilliant back in the day.

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:34 AM

The GK situation is confusing.
    Sell Darlow and Krul?
    Loan for Woodman?
    Doesn’t give us many left!

• WWSBRD

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM

jesper
    Not much point keeping him if he isnt going to play and he could fund another keeper arriving