This Signing Looks A Future Newcastle Star – Based On Last Night’s Performance

Jacob Murphy had an excellent second half yesterday and scored two great goals for us and his performance in only his second game for the club showed this lad can score goals for us.

But of course, we know it will be that much harder for him to score in the Premier League but his temperament and determination to succeed on Tyneside make his future look very bright.

Jacob and his identical twin Josh were Newcastle fans at just 10 months old – they told their mother the exact strip they wanted and lo and behold it was Newcastle United.

🙂

But both lads want to play for Newcastle and Jacob got his wish when we signed him for an initial £10M last week.

Jacob was asked about his brace, and this is what he said as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“It was great to get them so soon after coming in. “It was a convincing win in the end. I was delighted to get on the scoresheet.”

I had a little bit of luck when it came off the back of my heel,” “I managed to stick it away. I was delighted with that.”

“That second goal was more instinctive. It fell nicely for me.”

“It’s a big relief, but it’s also a massive confidence boost. It’s what I needed to get me a bit more settled into the squad.”

“I’m delighted to get these two goals. Hopefully, I can continue from here. “It was nice to do it in black and white. Hopefully, there’s many more to come.”

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez even felt the performance last night was much better than at Preston on Saturday and even Rafa was happy.

So it must have been a good performance – especially in the second half we were ruthless in front of goal.

Bradford had played doggedly in that first half but didn’t exactly know what hit them in that final 45 minutes – two goals in the first 6 minutes didn’t help either.

Three players (almost) signed in 8 days and an excellent performance last night – things are looking up for Newcastle

=====

Health Update: I thought I would give a bit of an update on my health condition.

My blood tests were good enough yesterday that I was passed to have my final chemotherapy infusion this afternoon here in Wake Forest, North Carolina – we live about 10 minutes from the all new Rex Cancer Center.

Since the side effects are cumulative, I expect things will be challenging over the next couple of weeks, but after that, I should be able to recover and get my hair back growing again – maybe in a different color – long black and curly maybe?

It’s difficult to know what effect the chemotherapy has had on the cancer.

But I’ll find out more at the end of September when I have my next cat-scan and will see what exactly the chemo has done – the last one showed cancer in multiple parts of the body.

While I remain confident, I am realistic too and know my condition – stage 4 prostate cancer – is not good.

But I live in hope and have very high expectations – like most Newcastle fans.

That’s one of the things that keeps me going!

🙂

=====

• DaraghL

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:22 PM

Ed – Love the site, my favourite source of Newcastle News. Appreciate you keeping it going while managing your health.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Bring in more midgets Rafa!!!!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM

hibbitt – cleared the history and the site appears to be updating as normal.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM

cheers!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Keep smiling Ed, I’m sure your hair will grow back long and curly 😀

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Best wishes Ed. We’re all pulling for you!

• faithinnewcastle

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:26 PM

All the best ed hope all goes well and appreciate the work you do!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Ed – keep plugging away!

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Finally, I have obtained another interview with the mighty Rafa:
    G2: Rafa you are finally clearing out the dead wood mate. Can you tell us what you are thinking?
    Rafa: Hello out there toons. Yes I am thinking about building a mighty empire of footy G2. We cannot spend like those Chelski’s and those Man Chitty’s but we can build with youth and pace and excellence on the pitch!
    G2: Well said. Are you satisfied with the attack Rafa (hint, hint).
    Rafa: I cannot say I am completely satisfied yet G2. There is more work to do there. We will not rest. Herr Nickson is on the road again searching for excellence.
    G2: spot on Rafa!!!
    Rafa: Spots on you as well G2!!!!

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Many thanks for your Blog over the years Ed mate.

• hibbit

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM

stay strong Ed

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Ed, I think I can speak for all of us Magpies in wishing you a speedy recovery, and showing you the appreciation you deserve for the time and effort you put into keeping this blog going.

We all wish you well mate and are 100% behind you during this very difficult time.

Keep your chin up marra you get through this.

• giimps

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Grow it long enough to get a Keegan perm mate, were all rooting for you, stay strong!!!!!!!

• beermonkey

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM

jesper

you could be right, i think rafa is waiting till the top 6 more or less finish then we will know who is available
    i still think we might be in for players like delph and mangala from city

RH

it will change under rafa but it takes time, given the cash being splashed at everton and the pressure for the managers that comes with it will the kids there get there shot now
    look at what happend to the crop of kids at city when they started to splash the cash

• ToonTime

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Rotonda: From previous post…

When we were last in the premier league which is little more than a year ago we were 5th in a league table of clubs who had the most youth academy graduates in the squad. How does that square with your damning indictment?

We were above Everton by the way…

• rn2016

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM

All the best, Ed. Wishing you a swift recovery.

• ToonTime

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Newcastle have seen seven of their current players step up from their academy into the first-team squad and make a Premier League appearance – with six of those players enjoying substantial game time in the top flight. Injured goalkeeper Tim Krul, for example, has been with the club since the age of 17, while 18-year-old Adam Armstrong is impressing on loan at Coventry in League One after making 15 appearances in the Premier League. The others are: Paul Dummett, Rolando Aarons, Steven Taylor, Sammy Ameobi and Shane Ferguson.

Roberto Martinez has described Everton’s emerging youngsters as a ‘golden generation’ and the Spaniard hasn’t been slow to utilise the Toffees’ budding talent in the Premier League. Defender Tyias Browning is beginning to earn more first-team opportunities, while the likes of Ross Barkley follow in the footsteps of team-mates Leon Osman and Tony Hibbert – the pair have made over 600 Premier League appearances between them since stepping up from the youth ranks. However, talented full-back Brendan Galloway isn’t included as he made 10 first-team appearances for MK Dons before signing for Everton in 2014. The other youth graduates with Premier League experience are Luke Garbutt and Conor McAleny.

• tommotoon

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:49 PM

hey lads new on here can anyone tell me how to put a profile pic on without having to use the gravitar link?

• Ron Knee

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM

All the best, Ed!

• Graeme

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Good Luck Ed, keep fighting.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM

All the best Ed. We’re all rooting for you mate!

• SecretSausage

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Best wishes SuperEd. Geordie Hero!

• Bambams

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Ed

Keep the faith and stay strong mate. You have us all supporting you.
    Harrison’s Army eh

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Ed I was very sad to hear about your current health situation…been away from the blog a long time…

A positive state of mind – like yours – can move mountains my friends. I am sure it will for you as well.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM

beer…I think Rafa is ready to spend now to be honest…he just need to free up some money for both transfers and wages…

If Saivet, Lazaar and Colback could be next then we might start to see some movement…

Lots of other players could easily be transfer candidates…depends on a lot of things I assume…

I read Lascelles is still a worry so I assume we’ll either keep Hanley or dig in to the transfer marked for a new CB?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM

toon time

you obviously missed my comment when i said believe the youth situation is changing under rafa,
    but prior to rafa I don’t think it was in a good place and stats show that.

Ed

as i keep saying keep fighting

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM

A very negative sign off from Biffa in the waffle section of his match report, I think we’re better than fourth bottom.

• toon kk

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM

All the best Ed

• WorJordi

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Ed
    I hope everything works out for you
    Amazing you keep this going at a time like this and with so much interest in your blog and so many sending their genuine best wishes(including myself), I know you can beat this . All the very best.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Toon time

I think that list kind of makes the case against in a list of where are they now.

Tim Krul, possibly 4th choice
    Adam Armstrong still not trusted
    Paul Dummett, no serious competition
    Rolando Aarons, hope he can finally come good
    Steven Taylor, at peterborough has now probably found his level
    Sammy Ameobi level 1
    Shane Ferguson.level 1

I hope the post rafa arrival group like fernandez augur much better

• magspuggy

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Keep fighting dr Ed

We are all rooting for ya..

I second the vote for a keegan perm..

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Rotonda…Rafa seems to rate Fernandez highly

• beermonkey

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM

jesper

a worry as in after his operation or overall as a player

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:21 PM

I would tend to agree with the Biffa comments. Just read the waffle. Proven quality is lacking in our side. That must change once we have cleared out a few more players. Money has to be spent or we’ll spend the entire season battling near or in the relegation zone….

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Having an owner who thinks business is conducted while barfing into a fireplace is not exactly encouraging either….

• GeordieTwo

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:23 PM

With our club we take the bad with the good. We’ve got Rafa but we’ve also got Asscrack…..

• Wayayman

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:31 PM

All the very best, Ed. We’re all behind you mate.

• lesh

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Ed

Keep an eye on your hair when it starts growing otherwise folk’ll be thinking they’ve got a hippy for a neighbour. 😉

• cyprus

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM

All the best Ed

• wynsleap

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM

Very best of luck Ed with your treatment and next scan.
    With your brand of strength, optimism and determination I’m sure you’ll be producing this blog for many black and white years to come.