This Signing Looks A Future Newcastle Star – Based On Last Night’s Performance

Jacob Murphy had an excellent second half yesterday and scored two great goals for us and his performance in only his second game for the club showed this lad can score goals for us.

But of course, we know it will be that much harder for him to score in the Premier League but his temperament and determination to succeed on Tyneside make his future look very bright.

Jacob and his identical twin Josh were Newcastle fans at just 10 months old – they told their mother the exact strip they wanted and lo and behold it was Newcastle United.

🙂

But both lads want to play for Newcastle and Jacob got his wish when we signed him for an initial £10M last week.

Jacob was asked about his brace, and this is what he said as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“It was great to get them so soon after coming in. “It was a convincing win in the end. I was delighted to get on the scoresheet.”

I had a little bit of luck when it came off the back of my heel,” “I managed to stick it away. I was delighted with that.”

“That second goal was more instinctive. It fell nicely for me.”

“It’s a big relief, but it’s also a massive confidence boost. It’s what I needed to get me a bit more settled into the squad.”

“I’m delighted to get these two goals. Hopefully, I can continue from here. “It was nice to do it in black and white. Hopefully, there’s many more to come.”

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez even felt the performance last night was much better than at Preston on Saturday and even Rafa was happy.

So it must have been a good performance – especially in the second half we were ruthless in front of goal.

Bradford had played doggedly in that first half but didn’t exactly know what hit them in that final 45 minutes – two goals in the first 6 minutes didn’t help either.

Three players (almost) signed in 8 days and an excellent performance last night – things are looking up for Newcastle

=====

Health Update: I thought I would give a bit of an update on my health condition.

My blood tests were good enough yesterday that I was passed to have my final chemotherapy infusion this afternoon here in Wake Forest, North Carolina – we live about 10 minutes from the all new Rex Cancer Center.

Since the side effects are cumulative, I expect things will be challenging over the next couple of weeks, but after that, I should be able to recover and get my hair back growing again – maybe in a different color – long black and curly maybe?

It’s difficult to know what effect the chemotherapy has had on the cancer.

But I’ll find out more at the end of September when I have my next cat-scan and will see what exactly the chemo has done – the last one showed cancer in multiple parts of the body.

While I remain confident, I am realistic too and know my condition – stage 4 prostate cancer – is not good.

But I live in hope and have very high expectations – like most Newcastle fans.

That’s one of the things that keeps me going!

🙂

=====

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:41 PM

And what to do with Gamez? Did he even get a few minutes at Bradford? And what wage is he on for doing little or nothing? Rafa didn’t even select him last season when he was fit. This is supposed to be a reliable experienced defender. If we get some dental floss for him I’ll be surprised.

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Regardless of the transfer situation at present, I don’t think we will be relegated or even in a relegation battle, Rafa has no intentions of leaving, and although the process looks like being a slow one, he has the experience to build a decent squad who will be able to compete from mid table upwards.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM

Of course I am talking about premium dental floss. None of this breaks in your teeth stuff….. I wish I could see what you see firebug mate. This is an extremely inexperienced side. We do have some youth and pace now but not enough experienced quality.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM

Our best players: Shelvey, Ritchie, Gayle
    Our adequate players: Clark, Elliot, Diame??, Dummett???
    Our promising players: Murphy, Aarons (please let him stay healthy), Yedlin, Mitro, Atsu
    Our unknowns: Lejueune, Manquillo,

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM

G2

Ah but we have players that are wanting to play for the club, passionate players who will give their all, and as they are young players they will improve with time. OK, we may find one or two flops in there too, but Rafa will find them out and change them in the coming windows.

Not a lot of money to spend yet, but this season was always going to be about staying in this league, and I think we have what it takes to do just that.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM

You could throw Lascelles into the promising player pile I think as well.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Ok then firebug mate. We can only wait and see. It’s the injuries that I’m deathly afeard of.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM

Say a maniac with a battle thong on gets into the dressing room and goes mad with his fongbat…. What happens then?

• firebug666

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM

G2

I think that’s why Rafa wants 2 players for every position mate, and a few that can play in more than one position, still think we have enough to consolidate our position in the prem. Some of these new players look half decent as well, and we have experience with Shelvey, SDJ Lascelles etc.

I think the season is looking promising to be honest. If he can move on some of the deadwood and replace them with better, so much the better.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM

Can we even match up with Stoke for example? Just looking at their players. I would say we’ll give them a good match but it’s not like we’re going to dominate them. We will absolutely have to beat the likes of Hudders, Burnley and Brighton and take points from the likes of Stoke, Southampton, Swansea, West Brom and Watford.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM

I think we can just afford to bring back Shefqi Kuqi…..

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM

A maniac in a battle thong with a fongbat, hahaha I don’t remember you being out with me last Saturday marra 😀

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Why did we release Lubo Satka? Surely we could have got something for him. Did his contract expire? And what’s the point of loaning out Selz? Get his wage off the books! And why the big hoo haw with getting rid of Hairdryer and Lazaar? Let’s get on with it!!!

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Are you a sci-fi fan firebug mate? I’ve been one since I was a young lad. Can’t get enough of it……

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:05 AM

G2

We can beat anyone on our day mate, we aint gonna set the league on fire, I doubt anyone will expect that, but a couple of wins will build the confidence, and I recon we can win at least a third of our games with a few draws added, enough to keep us safe.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Wello, at least we’ve got wor optimism to count on. And Rafa of course….. The man is a true god, headed for Geordie legendhood. He makes Thor look sickly lads…..

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:07 AM

Yes, I am I love all sci-fi marra, especially Doctor Who, I have every episode from 1963 to the present day.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:07 AM

At least 12-13 wins would be enough I think with 5 or 6 draws thrown in. That’s 41-45 points.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Excellent firebug. I’m in awe. That’s an amazing collection. I’ve been watching since the 60’s as well.

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:09 AM

Gotta go marra, bed time for me.

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:09 AM

Missus nagging me lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM

I’m off as well firebug. Talk again soon I hope…..

• lesh

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM

G2 @127

So what does happen if a maniac with a battle thong on gets into the dressing room and goes mad with his fongbat….

What happens then? You, Geordie 2 will arrested and end up in the slammer. Be warned.

• Chrisella87

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:17 AM

First time poster followed the blog for many years how’s every one. Exciting times ahead hoping we strengthen midfield a number 10 and LB then use the rest of the cash on 30m striker would be lovely 🙂

• SPRINGY

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM

Ed,keep ya heed up mate

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:24 AM

First time on today, took the missus and granddaughter to see the latest Planet of the Apes film.

It seemed a little bizarre in feeling sad for the apes at the end of the film, suppose it’s a bit akin to feeling sorry for Sunderland as a slightly regressed football team who are fighting against superior beings.

Good film though worth a watch.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:31 AM

Ed

It sounds like the chemo aspect is good news, lets hope the September news is very good.

Stay positive, attitude is a good weapon against any illness, I’m not going to say good luck because luck is not a factor in the fight, you’re determination is a bigger asset.

You will beat this.

Thousands of fellow geordies are behind you and sending good thoughts your way.

• Our Toon

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:31 AM

Ed all the best mate, I’ve just got back from Germany again where I took my mother to get alternative treatment around 16 months ago as NHS wouldn’t allow in UK. It’s worth looking into immunotherapy, less chemo which kills bad and good cells, it’s a more targeted approach using the cancer cells and injecting back into body to help the immune system build up a tolerance to fight cancer better. The main treatment is behind her and tumour have shrunk by around 40%

It’s the same way treatment for hepatitis etc is fought these days. So far so good, she was given 6 months but treatment has prolonged life to over 12 months with improvements monthly. If you need any info on it please get in touch and I can provide details / numbers if you wish to have conversations with docs.

Apologies for long winded message, all the best and keep fighting. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:34 AM

Looks like I’ve missed most of the blog chat, so I’ll call it a night and let the night shift take over,

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:44 AM

Our Toon

That sounds like the most positive advice Ed has received, I suppose it could depend on the type of cancer involved and how advanced it was.

Good to hear that your mother has had a positive result from it though.

• Pierro

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:29 AM

Still think we should have a go for alex oxlade chamberlain could be keen to come up here to get games from am England perspective

• Ron Knee

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:50 AM

So it looks like Mitro will be staying then?

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM

Ron Knee
    only till we get a big enough offer

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:04 AM

Ron,
    Aye, doesn’t look like fatty has convinced Rafa to stay at all, it’s been the 52K fans.

• Ron Knee

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:05 AM

hibbit

But will Rafa be able to get a better player, given the limited budget? At least Nitro is integrated now.

• Ron Knee

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:06 AM

Jail

What a mess we’re in. Thanks, Ashley!

• Bianconeri

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Keep fighting the fight Ed best wishes to you.Thank you for this wonderful site.I have followed it from early days but don’t post much.All the best

Secret Sausage thanks for that info on Raffa,not sure if I’m optimistic or worried 😉

• Bianconeri

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM

PS I think you should go for the Tiote Mr T haircut .

• isleofmanman

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Keep the faith Ed and all the very best

I used to use the Chronic-le website to stay up to speed with NUFC – but the length of time their mostly unwanted clap-trap took to load up on my PC drove me mad

So having your blog in perp is non-negotiable