Fans Flock To Twitter to Comment On The Signing Of Mikel Merino

Newcastle has made their third summer signing in 9 days in getting in Mikel Merino on loan for the season from German club Borussia Dortmund.

There are different news stories on whether the loan deal comes with an option to buy or an obligation to buy at the end of the loan agreement.

The one that we have heard the most comes from the Mail, and it says we have agreed to sign the tall holding midfielder who can also play at center-back next year for £6M.

Rafa doesn’t like a loan deal when we cannot buy the player who comes in on loan at the end of the season depending on how he plays.

But if Rafa believes in this player then he will have no problem with the obligation to buy, and that has saved us the transfer fee this summer but we don’t know how much the loan fee is and we’ll probably have to pay Mikel’s wages too.

Here are some typical tweets about the newcomer today.

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:49 PM

If we can bag a goalie, goalscorer and a cb i think we are sorted

Would be nice if we got batshatinyaeye on loan with an option

Leaving our cash available for the other areas rafa wants to improve.

We would need any loans sorted quickly as i dont fancy our chances in a bidding war for a cf we just dont seam able or willing to spend.

• cyprus

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM

Rafa

you reading?

Still expecting the big one(s) man.

No worries, I’m patient. Come on, burn this league!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:03 PM

Mags,
    Unless it Reina I don’t really want another keeper in, I think Elliott, Darlow and Krul would be fine for what we’re trying to achieve this season.

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Jail i kinda agree but rafa wants one who can kick a ball to start the counter attack.

For me the 3 we have will do untill we can bring woodman through

Krul has been told to find a new club so will need replacing first. Darlow will possibly follow him.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM

See your still out and about jail you happy chappy bro

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Is this our best xi and formation?

Elliot

I’d like to see

New

Yedlin Lejeune Clark dummett

Shelvey Merino

Ritchie New Murphy

New

I rate Elliot, Hayden, Gayle but we definitely need 3 more. Then we are where rafa wanted to be I think – competitive and able to fight on all fronts.

• chicousa

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:23 PM

Just doing the math in the “Ins” and “Outs” on Ed’s chart and not sure how the transfers out so far add up to £25.0M. I’m no math wiz but looks more like £19.0M. So not counting the Merino loan deal and eventual pre-agreed price of 6M, the net spend this summer so far looks like £10.5M. Apologies if someone already commented on this…

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM

Elliot

Yedlin lejuenes dummett

Murphy ritchie merino shelvey arrons

De jong

Gayle

• martoon

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM

Evening guys, I understand we have a tight budget but looking at Ed’s net spend and considering the profit Rafa made on transfers last Summer and parachute payment plus ST sales. new sponsor etc. I would have thought there is some money left in the transfer kitty. I am hoping Rafa is playing a game of double bluff to keep prices down!

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:26 PM

@One Alan – With that line up it would be 5 at the back- Manquillo and Dummett aren’t the most technical or offensive full backs in the world.

• lochinvar

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM

Merino, Murphy and Manquillo

Charnley : (thinks, I like pretending to be 007 ) “There’s a pattern here Q or can I call you M-aestro”
    Rafa : ( thinks, whatever ) ” How about M-cCarthy to follow the trend ? ”
    Charley ” we’re a bit like the M-usketteers then, all for one, one for all ? ”
    Rafa: “(yawn ), “if you say so”
    Charnley: ( cheesy grin ) anyone else on the list or should that be M-anifesto ?”
    Rafa : ” well M-itrovic stays”
    Charnley: ( thinks got him now ) ” Atsu isn’t an M”
    Rafa: ” well he’s rather like M-ighty M-ouse so that’s good enough for me”
    Charnley: ( thinks clever so and so, I’ll show him ) ” well you definitely can’t say that about Florian can you ? ”
    Rafa: ” that’s M-onsieur Jejune to you pal ”
    Charnley: ” ok Rafa have it your way”
    “Anyway…….time for a tea break”
    M-oncur: ” Have you both met the new tea lady, let me introduce you”
    Miss M-oneypenny, say hello to Rafa
    Miss M-oneypenny : ” hello to Rafa”
    Rafa: ” JaMMy Dodgers, mmmmmmm ”

Meanwhile in the corner, out of Charnley’s hearing
    Rafa: ” I’ve another signing here Mike, have you got the cheque book ? ”
    Ashley” ( puzzled expression, thinks more expenditure )
    ” I know I’ll use the M-ash holdings savings account “

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Runaway,
    Aye Bro 😀 I’m quite excited about thing’s to come, if fatty stops being a tw@t the future could be very good.

• beermonkey

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM

onealanshearer

dummet as a wing back
    i might be wrong but i think manquillo can play both right and left so him and yedlin will be more suited
    as long as i dont see aarons back there again

but i dont think rafa will drift to far from 4231 although i think at times we use 352

• Markaccus

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:45 PM

It annous me when I see an article that tries to dictate who rafa “should” sign. If these jouros truely know better, why are they not managing UCL winners?

• Markaccus

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Having said that, Munir has played in barcas system where you essentially have 4 No10s around a striker. Therefore he would possibly be a solution to our No10 issue. Theres nothing in this other than the fact he is another young spaniard.

• hellodjo

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM

Personally don’t think we need a CB or GK desperately, positions i’d say are weak and need strengthening are CF and LB, midfield i’d like to see us sell Saviet and Colback then bring in a Delph or Allan someone of experience and undoubted quality, that’d finish the team off nicely and we’d be set to finish top 10, providing we sign a striker of the ilk of say Perez or Aboubakar, none of this Andre Gray talk or any of that ilk not good value

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Mark
    Good old HITC mate. Always suggesting who we should sign. I read one earlier from them saying we should sign Max Kruse 😀

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:12 PM

Shirebrook toon don’t no if you seen before but I am j bro

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Jail what happened with nufc and HMRC yesterday ?

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:24 PM

I would go as far as saying that Rafa has been bringing in solid players with respectable fees with room for development, he’s plugging gaps and shaping his squad. I think the focus will be on removing those that aren’t required to free up space and play brinkmanship with the clubs that own ‘our big signings’ by crying poverty to get the best deal.

In my opinion, he is playing this well and I think we will see 2 marquee signings possibly before august is over and the season underway. In this instance the rich clubs looking to offload will reduce fees as they will already have replacements in. With the lack of money after our season down below we need to be smart and take risks… Not on players but timing to strike for signings. I have every faith in Rafa, not because of his past in football but because of his knack to finding solutions which was in essence the pitfalls of the previous manager incumbents.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:26 PM

Runaway,
    No idea Bro, I’ve never paid any attention to it anyway. Gutted I’m not home for Spurs, atmosphere will be absolutely white hot.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM

And as I’m sure the regulars will agree, it is the lack of patience within some of the fans (empty vessels make the most noise 🙂 ) which happen every season with our club has pushed the club to make kneejerk reactions to our own detriment… Not this time, Rafa has since learned from his bteakdown

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:30 PM

Hate to up set you bro bit I am toon bound 0n the 9th sorry to say I’ll be there bro

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Continued…
    When they threw the title away to manure a few seasons back he has become immune to pressure… He’s that good he even self develops! 🙂

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:32 PM

Magspuggy cheers for that good bro

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:34 PM

Don’t like up setting you jail after all I had few melt downs last season don’t what that to happen this season bro pmsl?

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM

🙂

Np buddy we were back in court today but i dont know what happened yet

No news is good news i guess

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:37 PM

Krul,
    To be honest this window has been excruciatingly slow and especially compared to last window where they came thick and fast. Bit I’m more than happy with the signings so far, one person on here has suggested we should have signed young unproven players last year, how would that of worked, would Manqillo or Merino even joined a Championship side. As for signing a team for the Championship, how many players out there that Tafa thought good enough we’re prepared to drop in to the second tier. Let’s see how .any players from the PL are prepared to join blundrrland, ‘I’ll and the smoggies

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM

‘Ull

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:39 PM

And going by what I can make out from Merida, he seems to have similar attributes to Steven Gerrard… This is one to watch out for by the sounds of it. I’m underwhelmed by Manquillo but I can see his purpose and it isn’t that great a risk. When he went to Liverpool he felt in with a huge option to buy if I remember… 16m I think and Moreno came in too but bought outright. What I can make of it was Manquillo was never worth that and Moreno showed more promise that season so no need and no value in purchasing Manquillo… The potential has always been there and spotted by Simone, Rodgers, *cough* *cough* Moyes and now Rafa… I hope it pays off… There is obviously something!

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:42 PM

The unwashed are really fubar tbh

Cant spend dont have a team atm noone wants to go there.

@ least we got back up quickly they wont do the same imho.

Hahahaha chuckle chukle snort..

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Yeah exactly jail… He pulled it off so I’m happy with his model last year and trust him this year to do what he sees fit within the clubs self sufficiency goal, he obviously has an achievable ambition which got good solid players to drop a level and he did make them better… His name is quite a draw for me. He gets results and that’s what we are after… Entertainment hopefully to follow when we establish again!

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:47 PM

Someone stated that they don’t envisage any batterings under his stewardship and I agree with that… We may concede 3 at most, on occasional off days but we’ll be respected again come next season again as a good functional footballing side… If Bournemouth can do that in a season then so can we!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM

Krul,
    Since the beginning of our days I don’t think we received as many 3+ hidings as those few short years under Mcardew and Llambias, it was a direct result of the purple polixy

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Runaway
    Yeah I’m In strawberry corner bro 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM

We regularly received four and five plus battering under Mcardew???

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Hopefully the purple policy has been shredded burned and sprinkled on the 4 corners of the earth! Total disaster!

• Belfast

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM

I now strongly believe there’s a 15 million ceiling on signing players, hence the no chance of signing 25 million player comments. It all fits in with the article from a few weeks back.

So there may well be a decent transfer kitty but we’re only in the market for players 15 million and under. Which is a pretty difficult in the current market.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Times are changing… Or can we say have changed with the one decision Ashley made for the club and that was to get a top manager in AND take direction!