Fans Flock To Twitter to Comment On The Signing Of Mikel Merino

Newcastle has made their third summer signing in 9 days in getting in Mikel Merino on loan for the season from German club Borussia Dortmund.

There are different news stories on whether the loan deal comes with an option to buy or an obligation to buy at the end of the loan agreement.

The one that we have heard the most comes from the Mail, and it says we have agreed to sign the tall holding midfielder who can also play at center-back next year for £6M.

Rafa doesn’t like a loan deal when we cannot buy the player who comes in on loan at the end of the season depending on how he plays.

But if Rafa believes in this player then he will have no problem with the obligation to buy, and that has saved us the transfer fee this summer but we don’t know how much the loan fee is and we’ll probably have to pay Mikel’s wages too.

Here are some typical tweets about the newcomer today.

• Belfast

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Hope that made sense

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM

Belfast

I still think 15m can get canny players… You just need the scouting network… Hopefully we can produce some with the production line being restocked by Rafa too, I hope we are scouting south America or at least plan to set scouts up over there!

• Belfast

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM

Yeah but you usually have to go abroad for them, something we’re not very successful with usually haha

Think we’ll stay up pretty comfortably to be honest. I don’t see that many great teams outside the top 8 like.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:12 PM

If we make comparisons with sides similar I don’t think we fall short at all, we have the added bonus of a tactician on the sidelines for a change arnautovic frustrates for example and 25m to West ham is another Payet without profitability… coates the owner at Stoke stated in so many words that he’s toxic. I’m so much happier in a 6m Ghanaian that wants to be here… The money doesn’t assure a top player. For the record I don’t think Arnautovic will be a regular come seasons end at West ham. We don’t have any egos anymore and have a good solid squad that follows instructions as a team… That’s worth its weight in gold!!!

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:16 PM

15 wont get a epl goalscorer who is ready to jump in at the deep end.

We would be better off with a loan and to buy in jan imho.

I wonder if its the wage bill thats holding us back more than the transfer fee.

Belfast
    I agree we will be safe with what we have but injuries worry me.

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM

Mags

5.1m got Ramirez… I think he’s going to be the bargain of the summer… He was my biggest disappointment at not getting… I think jail said he could be the player Rafa alluded too last night that he wasn’t giving a PL untested player 120k PW and his conclusion makes sense, he would have been perfect. If Perez at Arsenal is going for 9m I’d gamble on him too. Was harshly not really given a chance imo

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Aboubakar was another at about 9m, I like him too… Preferable to bas dost imo at 50 odd mil

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:33 PM

What wages are they on ??

Rafa hinted at 125k pw for some players and we wont pay it.

I hope im wrong and we can find a 20 goal a season man but under 15 with wages we can afford is a big ask.

Someone up and coming who wants game time is our best bet.

• hellodjo

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM

magspuggy the man you’re talking about is Lucas Perez and he’s the only one pretty much that could get 20 goals on below 100k wages for around £15 mil that I can think of

• Krul To Be Kind

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM

I suppose it’s a pity there’s no Googlemeisters on tonight mags as I can not be *ed looking it up but I’d say they all have fair to middling wages at present except Ramirez… I suppose his relevant get out clause allowed him to negotiate a big wage… He cost less than Riviera though! Lol

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:40 PM

Had the night off to much tequila to drink tonight temp still high off to bed lads before my typeing goes haywire ????

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM

If im honest i want us too smash the piggy and buy bas dost but going off what rafa said last night that aint gonna happen.

I hope we get someone soon they need time to settle before spurs.

• magspuggy

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Thats me done for today.

Been a plesure talking to you all.

Goodnight lads

• hellodjo

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:51 PM

Bas Dost wouldn’t be anywhere near as good for us as Perez would be, he’s literally perfect for our team

• geordieviking

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:25 AM

From Royal blue nation web site:

“At this moment in time, Everton currently have Wayne Rooney earning £150k a week, Sandro Ramirez earning £120k a week and Davy Klaassen picking up £100k a week.”

• jimmysmith

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:42 AM

As long as you have 3 keepers, 5 centre backs, 4 fullbacks, 4 wingers, 5 central mids, 2 inside forwards and 3 strikers, all capable of competing and winning their own battles and able to play to instruction then you have a complete group.

Like pretty much every club we could upgrade everywhere of course, but if we could sign a top striker, keeper and central mid, I think under Rafa’s coaching we’d be very well placed for a good first season back.

I’d push tirelessly to sell Colback, Diame, Saivet, Darlow, Krul and Rivierre and to bring in those three quality additions, and with plenty of time still left in the window, and relatively little spent so far, it is certainly more than possible.

• jimmysmith

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:51 AM

sell Haidarra too.

• twotonearmy

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:35 AM

Worrying when you read a recent fanzine interview about Merino’s move to NUFC. Dortmund fans were polled on how they feel about the move and many either didn’t know who he was or felt he was poor in the handful of chances he had at Dortmund. Its easy to see the talent in that team and how hard it would be to break into the starting lineup but it sounds like he was nowhere near the quality you’d expect from them.

• willowdalerez

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:00 AM

Seems there is a touch too much rose tinted talk on the blog tonight. Maybe just the effect of Rafa’s lock-up and the 4 nil win but to keep it in perspective the win was at Bradford and while we are lucky to have Rafa he is not a miracle worker and quite plainspoken about being frustrated with business this transfer window and that he missed out on all his main targets.

I have faith in Rafa as a manager but imo his words are the mark of a man setting expectations for a tough slog ahead not a comfortable run at mid-table safety in our first year following promotion.

We are still in desperate need of a proven CF (Gayle and Mitro have never scored more than 10 goals in a season in the Prem) and Ashley should (have) give(n) the go ahead for a 20+M signing for that position if we want to make sure the goals are there… either that or pray Gayle’s form in the Championship translates to 15+ goals in the Prem or that Mitrovic is given a run of games and both lives up to his promise (imo more than Gayle’s) and avoids taking stupid reds (difficult given the refs all know his rep).

On top of that Shelvey is our only Prem ready playmaker (apart from SDJ when fit but who Rafa clearly doesn’t rate for playing time) which means that unless Merino proves more than just a “holding” midfielder if Shelvey takes an injury or game suspensions we may be back to hoofball to move forward putting a ratchet in what appears to be Rafa’s plan to build pace for a defensive posture with goals on the counterattack.

All of which to say I believe we are good enough to stay up if we get some early positive results that give the lads confidence and we stay relatively healthy but if Shelvey takes a knock or suspensions early or Gayle / Mitro can’t find the net we have precious few extra goals in the squad and its tough to take 3 points by scoring on the counter while playing from a defensive posture and giving up lopsided ball possession (even if you can and do routinely hold Prem team opponents to under 2 goals a game) unless you also regularly have at least 2 goals in your side. So tell me do you think we have that in our squad? Forget the top half of the league do you believe we can consistently knock in 2 goals against teams that will round out the bottom half of the league?

Unless we bring in a known striker worth at least 12+ goals and another fluid attacking CF I don’t see the goal side of the equation as a given, this is not the Championship. We should be prepared for a possibly frustrating season. We need to rally round and make St James the extra man during home games, the lads will need full throated support. So many of our squad have so little (or negative) experience in top flight football we’ll have to trust Rafa to bring them through.

My hope is Rafa brings in one known entity at striker before the window closes but precious few names strike me as obvious (Is Gray that much an improvement on Gayle / Mitro?) given we are apparently unable (unwilling) to cough up 20+M. Just have to wait out the transfer window to see what Rafa has up his sleeve hopefully he’s a poker player and it’s a wad of cash for a striker or a deal nobody thought possible that he squeezes out of a team (hey if he sells Manu anything is possible).

• willowdalerez

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:08 AM

2nd last para should read fluid attacking CM / AM.

• jimmysmith

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:20 AM

I think you can successfully play either one of Perez and Dejong and even Shelvey or Gayle in that attacking mid/ inside forward role, so long you’ve got decent cover and balance elsewhere.

I do like Perez, he’s come on and is still improving. I don’t see us looking elsewhere just as he appears ready to fulfil his considerable potential, and I think Dejong is good competition for him.

But certainly a quality striker and central mid need to be added, and for mine a top keeper too.

• sing in the corner

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:33 AM

Willow@139
    Good, sober assessment.
    Rafa isn’t a miracle worker, of course you’re right, but we know he is a Champions League manager with oceans of tactical and man management nous. We mustn’t forget he went into very unfamiliar territory in the Championship and adapted. He’s more comfortable in the PL and I think he will set us up in a good shape. With added pace and better wide options we will counter attack better this term. I agree, we do need a striker – we are so thin there. Loan is the way this season in my opinion. The Batfella from Chelsea is top of my wish list.

• sing in the corner

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:38 AM

If we are saying there’s, for instance, only 10-15 million available for a new striker on permanent deal, with ordinary wages on offer, we should have kept, dare I say it, the Gouff and played him in his proper position, competing with Mitro for striker number 2 berth!

• expatmag

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:05 AM

Bournemouth currently have Defoe King Afobe and Wilson who are all similar players and whilst I know Wilson is injured, Rafa appears keen on him.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Rada going back in for Wilson in January and rely on Gsyle Mitro and Perez to see us through till then.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Some very good comments. We aren’t strong enough to be confident of surviving unless most or all of the young players really adept well to the Prem and play beyond expectations in many cases. Key players are up the spine as usual so the CB’s, the DMF, the AMF and the striker. And it’s AMF and striker I’m especially worried about. If we getmore than 50 goals out of the squad we have I’ll be surprised.

• GeordieTwo